Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Help from users of Office 10 Please

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

The motherboard on my wife's old computer died--New one had Windows 10 and Office10 pre-installed.  She made a mistake completing the Office installation and now it won't install.  She downloaded a copy of Open Office which will save a text document in formats up to Office 6.  For some reason it saves .rtf (rich text format) files as spreadsheets rather than as text files.

Now the questions:
Will Office 10 read files with a .doc extension saved in an Office 6 (or earlier) format?  If not, what formats can Office 10 read?   Will it read .rtf files created with Word Perfect (Important because she's a working actress and agents and casting agents will simply flip to "next" at pretty much any bump in the road if their version won't read the file she creates.  I could translate her Office 6 document to .rtf via my Word Perfect if that would work)

Help will be appreciated more than I (or my wife) can say.

Sep 26 15 05:12 pm Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

Rays Fine Art wrote:
The motherboard on my wife's old computer died--New one had Windows 10 and Office10 pre-installed.  She made a mistake completing the Office installation and now it won't install.  She downloaded a copy of Open Office which will save a text document in formats up to Office 6.  For some reason it saves .rtf (rich text format) files as spreadsheets rather than as text files.

Now the questions:
Will Office 10 read files with a .doc extension saved in an Office 6 (or earlier) format?  If not, what formats can Office 10 read?   Will it read .rtf files created with Word Perfect (Important because she's a working actress and agents and casting agents will simply flip to "next" at pretty much any bump in the road if their version won't read the file she creates.  I could translate her Office 6 document to .rtf via my Word Perfect if that would work)

Help will be appreciated more than I (or my wife) can say.

Hey, Ray. So, in terms of the versions of Office mentioned above, are you sure about those? Office 10 (aka Office 2002) shipped in 2001, circa Windows XP. There's no such thing as Office 6, although there is a Word 6 version, which is part of Office 4.x (going all the way back to 1993-94). I suspect these are not the actual versions in question. The most current version is Office 15, aka Office 2013, released in 2012.

But all that notwithstanding, let's get to the nitty-gritty: what actual format does the document need to be in... doc? rtf? If we can narrow that down, that would be a good starting point.  Wordpad (which is bundled with Windows going way back) will natively create and read .rtf documents with a reasonable level of basic formatting.

Sep 26 15 05:46 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

Who's Office 10?     MS Office 2010?

Microsoft Word 6 (.doc)  and Rich Text Format (.rtf)  format  would be safest to send something out in for compatibility (the old legacy format).unless you know specifically what they want or can deal with.
  (.docx) is the newer default for MSFT but all versions read (.doc) Word 6  (and .rtf associates with MS Word by default)

MS Office - especially the older versions can have poor support for non MSFT file types.and simply will not open some of them. (the newer versions are much better in that regard)

Open Office has a setting for that (file types / default file types)

Tools --> Options --> Load/Save --> (document type) Text Document --> (Always save as) Pick one (.rtf should be there)
or
File --> Save As     (pick file type)     (from any document you have open)

List of Microsoft Office filename extensions
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_M … extensions

http://www.file-extensions.org/microsof … extensions

http://www.file-extensions.org/rtf-file-extension           
    (.rtf   Wordperfect is listed with MSFT  -- at least with the newer versions should interchange)

Libreoffice  is another option.      https://www.libreoffice.org/
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Microsoft tells Windows 10 users to uninstall Office
http://www.computerworld.com/article/28 … ffice.html
         (yes there can be total failure situations)

Sep 26 15 08:03 pm Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

Thanks, Guys!  especially for

Michael Bots wrote:
Open Office has a setting for that (file types / default file types)

Tools --> Options --> Load/Save --> (document type) Text Document --> (Always save as) Pick one (.rtf should be there)
or
File --> Save As     (pick file type)     (from any document you have open)

which led us to where our problem really lay  (The fact that neither of us has stayed current with the profit-producing updates---I'm still using Word Perfect and bemoaning the loss of XP---simply added to our confusion)  Open office looks like it will do everything that she needs to do including accessing a wide range of formats.

Thanks again.

Sep 27 15 07:37 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I use Open Office myself.

Sep 27 15 09:13 am Link