Forums > General Industry > Photographers who use mannequin heads to light

Photographer

Cinema Photography

Boulder, Colorado, US

So can you guys who use mannequin heads or mannequins to test and sort lighting sets up with, post some pics. my wife thinks I have gone insane by getting one...she honestly thinks nobody really does this

Sep 27 15 05:48 pm Link

Photographer

Llobet Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

I started a thread last year about this.
Your wife is correct.  You are crazy... like the rest of us.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/921041/1

Sep 27 15 07:26 pm Link

Photographer

D a v i d s o n

Gig Harbor, Washington, US

Well at least it stays where you put it.

Sep 27 15 07:43 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

It's an insane idea ... and I love it!  tongue 

If you can get one without spending too much money, then go for it!  How much you are willing to spend is on you. Honestly, if it was hard for me to get models to trade shoot with me, then I would consider it.  Otherwise, I'm saving my money for something else.

Sep 27 15 07:48 pm Link

Photographer

HarryL

Chicago, Illinois, US

Im with you:) absolutely nothing wrong with. The idea  is to get couple twigs also find a professional MUA air brush artist  to add a none reflective coats to perfection smile

H

Sep 27 15 08:12 pm Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

San Jacinto, California, US

Lol.  I little off topic, but, I was thinking of getting one and putting in some realistic looking eyes to test/calibrate my auto-focus.  I know about the various tools/gadgets to calibrate the lens, but, just wanted a more realistic probability.

Sep 28 15 12:17 am Link

Photographer

Justin Matthews

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Not only does she help me light, but my studio mascot "Mandy the mannequin" sometimes makes appearances in finished shots.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110711/20/4e1bbb6ae6acf.jpg

Sep 28 15 02:36 am Link

Photographer

Cinema Photography

Boulder, Colorado, US

Awesome replies! I got it for free, so thats pretty great. My wife and kid both were crackin on me about it and she honestly didnt think anyone did this. Considering everything I shoot, this was the thing she though was odd. Love seeing the pics and now I gotta name her.

Justin Matthews wrote:
Not only does she help me light, but my studio mascot "Mandy the mannequin" sometimes makes appearances in finished shots.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110711/20/4e1bbb6ae6acf.jpg

Thats a brilliant shot.

Sep 28 15 10:00 am Link

Photographer

Randy Poe

Green Cove Springs, Florida, US

I use a head to set up for face shape.
I just bought a full skeleton and grim reaper outfit for props for a recent project but also for full body light such as shoulder, hair ect setup. Somehow the skeleton feels less creepy to be using then a mannequin and it stores more easily.

Sep 28 15 11:50 am Link

Photographer

Laura Elizabeth Photo

Rochester, New York, US

RIT has a bunch of them for photography students to use when they're practicing lighting set ups.

Sep 28 15 12:21 pm Link

Photographer

Red Sky Photography

Germantown, Maryland, US

I used one for a few years until I had plenty of live models to use. passed her on to a model turned Designer/Photographer. I think she may have emigrated to Canada now, or maybe she just snuck across the border in the dead of night.

It works well when you are learning lighting. I miss having her now because I want to start designing.

Sep 28 15 12:26 pm Link

Model

SarahMoore

Alexandria, Virginia, US

I do not have any pictures myself as I am a model, but pretty much any big, professional shoot I have gone to uses a mannequin to test the lighting. It makes it a lot easier once I get there to already have the lighting set so I am not standing there for a million test shots to get the perfect lighting!

Sep 28 15 06:00 pm Link

Photographer

Llobet Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Black Z Eddie wrote:
Lol.  I little off topic, but, I was thinking of getting one and putting in some realistic looking eyes to test/calibrate my auto-focus.  I know about the various tools/gadgets to calibrate the lens, but, just wanted a more realistic probability.

I wanted to test my autofocus too so I penciled in some eyes.
My mannequin is all white, no hair.
Not the greatest for testing lighting because of lack of true skin color but it works.
I call her Paris, as in plaster of.

Sep 28 15 06:48 pm Link

Body Painter

Mountain Arts

Blacksburg, Virginia, US

I have a full size one to test face and figure lighting ideas.

Sep 28 15 07:29 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Collins

Orlando, Florida, US

I would advice anyone who uses a white one, which are sometimes foam wigs holders, to paint them like a mid to light gray.  Zone 6 gray would match the tonality of most Caucasian skin. Zone 5 for darker skin.    This way you will see the effects of the shadows AND highlights.  Some people I know just try to get a middle gray.  Also make sure it has like a satin finish.  Not glossy or flat.  People do have a little shine on their skin.

Oct 02 15 01:02 pm Link

Photographer

Francisco Castro

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Tell your wife that a mannequin makes the perfect assistant to test with at 2:00am. Patient, doesn't talk back, will hold a pose forever, and there is no jealousy issues. I have head, and a full body one, and it's awesome.

Oct 02 15 01:36 pm Link

Photographer

Guss W

Clearwater, Florida, US

Emma works for nothing and never flakes.  I'm sometimes tempted to touch up the joints and add her to my portfolio.

https://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad130/GussW/WebReference/Emma.jpg~original

Oct 02 15 04:01 pm Link

Photographer

WCR3

Houston, Texas, US

uhohitssarah wrote:
I do not have any pictures myself as I am a model, but pretty much any big, professional shoot I have gone to uses a mannequin to test the lighting. It makes it a lot easier once I get there to already have the lighting set so I am not standing there for a million test shots to get the perfect lighting!

Yep, that's what I do. In fact Suzy Creamcheese, my plastic lighting assistant, has been posing all afternoon as I get set up for a live shoot tomorrow.

Oct 02 15 06:30 pm Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

London, England, United Kingdom

What you've never heard of Google or Youtube?

Oct 03 15 02:59 am Link

Photographer

BobBarford Photo

York, Pennsylvania, US

Fiberglass manikins are better for lighting than the less expensive plastic models. They work very well for spur of the moment ideas as well as not wasting your time or a professional model's time adjusting lights while on set.

Oct 09 15 05:29 pm Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

San Jacinto, California, US

Guss W wrote:
https://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad130/GussW/WebReference/Emma.jpg~original

Dang, this looks more realistic than some of the selfies nowadays.  big_smile

Oct 09 15 09:38 pm Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

Usually, a foam head is adequate, and a lot less expensive. Oh.......yes, it is a common way of teaching people how to light faces. Real models are more interesting........but certainly more expensive.

Oct 12 15 12:20 pm Link