Forums > Critique > Business Card Ideas

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

Hi everyone,
So my makeup artist friend that you have probably seen before asked me for business card help.  Now I'm not a designer by any stretch of the imagination, but I went for it anyway.  Below are the two ideas.  We already picked one but I'm just curious to hear the feedback on them.  I photographed her and both of them together.  Thanks!

OPTION 1
https://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y508/YajhilAlvarez/1_zpsd1zfxibi.png

OPTION 2
https://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y508/YajhilAlvarez/2_zpsstnsell0.png

Sep 28 15 09:19 pm Link

Photographer

the lonely photographer

Beverly Hills, California, US

Option 2. I like

Sep 28 15 11:17 pm Link

Photographer

cheshiredave

Oakland, California, US

If I had to pick, I'd go with the first one, but honestly I would throw these out and start again if it's not too late. I think they're cheesy, both fronts and the back. It really depends what kind of clients she wants, though. If she wants budget clients, then this design will suffice. If she wants to make an impression on the higher end, I think these will work against her. Sorry, man.

Sep 29 15 12:39 am Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

the lonely photographer wrote:
Option 2. I like

Thanks a bunch!

Sep 29 15 09:07 pm Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

cheshiredave wrote:
If I had to pick, I'd go with the first one, but honestly I would throw these out and start again if it's not too late. I think they're cheesy, both fronts and the back. It really depends what kind of clients she wants, though. If she wants budget clients, then this design will suffice. If she wants to make an impression on the higher end, I think these will work against her. Sorry, man.

Thanks!

Sep 29 15 09:07 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

Too bright, too colorful, too many boxes.

It doesn't look like an ad for services. It looks like an ad for an app.

Also, don't put all the relevant info on the back. When you do that it separates the card into 'useful side' and 'interesting side', and promises that at least 50% of the card is wasted space at any given time

Sep 29 15 09:42 pm Link

Photographer

asong

Los Angeles, California, US

I'm with the other guys... prefer a simpler cleaner less colorful look

Sep 30 15 09:46 am Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

Thanks everyone!  I googled through a ton of makeup artist business cards before I started working on hers and they were all very colorful because, well, they are for makeup artists.  Please look through these samples if you have the time:

https://www.google.com/search?q=makeup+ … w-Ch0PxwcS

I don't think my design is more colorful than any of the cards there.  I actually find mine to be way more toned down and less "in your face" than 90% of them.  I also forgot to mention that she is a youtube makeup personality who creates colorful makeup looks so of course her face needed to be featured.  To view her work you can go here:

https://instagram.com/marielaq81/

I understand that generally business cards shouldn't be THAT colorful, but depending on the profession, makeup artist being one of them, I think the use of color makes a lot of sense.

Sep 30 15 03:29 pm Link

Model

Layla_B

Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands

I don't think these cards are that bad. I haven't looked at the google-range of cards.
But I think, no matter what profession, you want people to notice your card between a stack of other cards. So.. It has to stand out. Color is good for that, don't lose the color.
Therefore, I think #1 is way too dark. 2 is better. The back of the card is bit busy, it feels 'crowded'? You don't really want that since it is your contact info. Maybe if you lose the box and make the text black it will be better...
Good luck to Mariela with her business smile

Sep 30 15 04:09 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Well, I'm old as dirt.  Other than Facebook (which I don't use), I don't know what those other icons mean.

Sep 30 15 04:28 pm Link

Photographer

Evan Hiltunen

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

The problem is that the cards were put together by someone that doesn't have the skills to properly compose them. It takes time, study, and lots and lots of practice to build effective business cards.

I think the OP should keep those in a file, spend a week looking at good cards, study composition, and draft up a couple more versions. Then, put those away in a file. And repeat the process.

He'll start to get better and may end up with something very good.

Keep practicing. Try conservative approaches. Try crazy stuff. Experiment. Learn.

Sep 30 15 05:01 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

The problem with doing a Google search is that regardless of your skill level,most of the hits are going to be from people worse than you. I'll bet at least 10% or those cards were made by high school or low-level college students, and another 20% were made by recent grads and other people just getting into the design business.

Comparing your work to theirs is like using YouTube to find out how good of a singer you are.

Besides, you shouldn't worry about what other people in other markets do, unless it's really good. If a design blog makes a post about a business card from an MUA is Russia, you should probably look at it. But your average Russian MUA's card isn't going to tell you anything about what works for you.

Sep 30 15 06:18 pm Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

Layla_B wrote:
I don't think these cards are that bad. I haven't looked at the google-range of cards.
But I think, no matter what profession, you want people to notice your card between a stack of other cards. So.. It has to stand out. Color is good for that, don't lose the color.
Therefore, I think #1 is way too dark. 2 is better. The back of the card is bit busy, it feels 'crowded'? You don't really want that since it is your contact info. Maybe if you lose the box and make the text black it will be better...
Good luck to Mariela with her business smile

Thanks!  She taught herself how to do makeup but now she just started to get her certification.  Hopefully it will be an easy ride for her :-)

Sep 30 15 06:21 pm Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

Mark Salo wrote:
Well, I'm old as dirt.  Other than Facebook (which I don't use), I don't know what those other icons mean.

Ugh, that's the ONE thing I didn't agree with or come up with.  I originally had it like this when I sent it to her:
https://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y508/YajhilAlvarez/ttr_zpsizxjjcet.png

But then she told me her brother and father told her that she should use the icons.  I honestly think some people won't know what the hell the icons mean either and others that do know won't really know the proper way to search for her still.  I was vetoed.  I totally agree with you.

Sep 30 15 06:25 pm Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

Zack Zoll wrote:
The problem with doing a Google search is that regardless of your skill level,most of the hits are going to be from people worse than you. I'll bet at least 10% or those cards were made by high school or low-level college students, and another 20% were made by recent grads and other people just getting into the design business.

Comparing your work to theirs is like using YouTube to find out how good of a singer you are.

Besides, you shouldn't worry about what other people in other markets do, unless it's really good. If a design blog makes a post about a business card from an MUA is Russia, you should probably look at it. But your average Russian MUA's card isn't going to tell you anything about what works for you.

A lot of them were templates and others were from professionals and non-professionals.  I'm not sure what countries they were coming from.  I just browsed through them and picked elements that made sense to me visually, knowing her and what she does and what she wanted.  The main goal was to say, hey everyone this is Mariela, she's a makeup artist, she loves makeup.  I also took into consideration business cards she showed me from professional makeup artists she has collected from makeup events she's gone to.  A lot of those makeup artists featured their faces, and even bodies which made no sense to me lol, in the front and then their information in the back.  I wish I would've taken some pics and posted them just to show you guys what those looked like.

Sep 30 15 06:45 pm Link

Photographer

cheshiredave

Oakland, California, US

Zack Zoll wrote:

Basically, this. Don't look at Google to try to glean a sense of what constitutes good design. Go to a bookstore that has a design section, and you will almost certainly find a book that rounds up what they think are some of the best business card designs. Learn from those designers, not random stuff on Google.

Here's a more constructive response for you that can help you become a better designer:

1. Always keep the audience in mind. The audience here is who she wants to be hired by and for what. Her card should communicate the level of client she wants.

2. Typography: you've got handwriting, Myriad and Mistral. It takes a lot of skill to choose even one typeface, let along two plus handwriting, and make them all play together well in a tiny space like a business card. And I don't think any one of these is right. The handwriting is clunky, Mistral still looks like the 80s, and Myriad is just too office-y. Again, it really depends both on the audience and who she is. Maybe Mistral does describe her. But there are more modern script faces that can do the same. You'd probably have to pay for them, but it's worth it. Think of fonts like clothing: she probably prefers to wear something that feels like her, flatters her, and doesn't look dated. Find a typeface that does that, hopefully just one.

3. Color: like with fonts, you don't want to throw too many at once at a small design like a card. Picking just one bold color that speaks to who Mariela is would be a fine choice. Two colors, sure. Even three if they play well together.

4. Social logos: your best bet is to use monochromatic versions of each logo. Otherwise, it looks loud and garish. Also, tell her it would be good if her handles were the same for all three -- then you can be efficient in the space.

5. Layout: centering everything is the model-on-the-railroad-tracks of design: seems artistic but is way too easy and is just basically clichéd.

Hope this helps!

Sep 30 15 11:03 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

You know I didn't even catch Mistral, but now I can't stop thinking of The Sisters of Mercy and the old Werewolf: The Apocalypse game.

I just had a flashback to my goth phase wink

Oct 01 15 05:54 pm Link

Photographer

Roy Nelson Photos

West Hollywood, California, US

KISS:

A black background for small print is a bad idea.  Readability = big print with standard lettering on white background.

1 photo

What I do.

Phone number:
email
facebook

Oct 01 15 06:23 pm Link

Model

Blaire_

Portland, Oregon, US

Most commercial don't hire makeup artist for the crazy things they can do.  Most clients want a very clean, natural look.  The first card looks more like that.  But it's still not something that inspires confidence in her ability.

Oct 02 15 10:18 pm Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

Thanks everyone for the help.  So she went to the big makeup event in NYC yesterday, that she needed the business cards for, and she handed them out.  According to her, she got a lot of good comments, specially from some "major" makeup company owner that took the time to tell her she was actually impressed with the card.  She said it stood out from all of the ones people were giving her and that she loved it because it was fun, personalized and colorful.  She specially liked the picture in the front.  However, my friend still has one more day of the event to go so there's still time for things to go south.  Fingers crossed that doesn't happen though because she promised me lunch for helping her lol.

Oct 03 15 11:39 pm Link