Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Rock & Roll Hall of Fame 2016. Place your votes!

Photographer

Mike Collins

Orlando, Florida, US

Heard they started the voting for the 2016 inductees.  Not sure how much the fan vote counts.  Just think it's fun.

All great acts if you ask me.  Well. I guess that's kind of obvious.  Ha!

http://rockhall.com/voting/2016-rock-an … nees-vote/

Oct 08 15 04:41 pm Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

would love to see NWA get in.  It's really been their year with their hit movie.

Oct 08 15 04:58 pm Link

Photographer

Llobet Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Yup.  Lots of great acts there.
Why isn't Deep Purple in there already along with a few others?

Oct 08 15 05:05 pm Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Yes ABSOLUTELY deserves it! Especially now that Chris Squire has passed away. They got the nomination once before and now they're nominated again. Hopefully they get it.

As for the fan vote, it's meaningless. Yes came in 3rd place when they were nominated last time and it didn't make a difference.

Oct 08 15 05:07 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

It's all garbage. For starters, over half those bands have never been classified as rock and roll. That's acceptable for bands like the Spinners that predated what we know of as rock and roll, but Chic? Janet Jackson? The only way they influenced rock and roll was by giving rock acts something to rebel against - and if that's the barometer they use, then Margaret Thatcher and Tipper Gore both deserve to get in first.

Secondly, most acts get in within the first couple years of being eligible, or they take forever. KISS was a shitty band, but they influenced more rock musicians than that whole list together, less Deep Purple. They finally got in what, last year? The year before? So they're obviously not voting on influence. But then they eventually did induct KISS, so they're obviously not voting on talent either.

So what does that leave? Seriously, someone tell me. Clearly they're not pandering to a bunch of old white guys like the Oscars, or else we'd never see the Spinners, Chic, NIN, and NWA on the same list. Every year some whiny band complains that it's a popularity contest, but that doesn't explain the voting either.

As far as I can tell, the voting is based on nothing. Literally nothing at all. Aside from ridiculously obvious inductees like the Beatles and the Stones, I think you could make a list of every band that had more than two hits, randomly point to a few names every year, and be done with it.

Oct 08 15 05:50 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

I tend to agree. I dont know what the voting criteria is, but I suspect it has to do with who promises to show up and "appear" at the ceremony.

With the system like it is, eventually every band that released a recording will be inducted. Are there really "Hall of Fame" bands EVERY year? Multiple "Hall of Fame" bands? Every Year? Eventually you will run out of the classic rock and roll greats---then you start inducting Janet Jackson I guess.

Maybe they have already run out of true rock "Hall of Famers", and that is why they are including obvious NON_ROCK talent in the "competition". Janet Jackson? Really? Rock and Roll? Not taking away a thing regarding her talent, but it damn sure isnt rock and roll.

OK, whatever. Everyone knows its a bs organization, and has less and less relevancy every year.

Too bad....could have been a nice way to honor true pioneering talent. Now, its just a media marketing event.

but hey---as long as people enjoy it, who am I to judge. I mean, we have "scripted" reality shows that seem to go on and on, why not another meaningless award show.

Oct 08 15 06:15 pm Link

Photographer

Llobet Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

And Chic was disco and everyone knows that Disco sucks, right?

I reiterate, why isn't Deep Purple already in there, as well as Yes?
I agree with those above, it's been a sham for a long time.

Oct 08 15 06:47 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Deep Purple - how come they are not included already?

Janet Jackson - proof conclusive that whoever compiled the voting list has a warped sense of humour

Oct 08 15 06:51 pm Link

Photographer

Randy Poe

Green Cove Springs, Florida, US

I like the Herb Ritts approach. more rock photography tributes makes sense, the rest of it is quite baffling.

Oct 08 15 08:29 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Something else just occurred to me ...

Trent Reznor/NIN are up for voting this year. Bowie's band Tin Machine ran a LOT or parallels there - Reznor has even said that Bowie's album Low was his biggest influence. Both bands put out their first record in 1989, so both are eligible.

So both bands have an equal pedigree is what I'm saying, aside from longevity. And since they wrote and toured together, they were basically all one big band in the 90s.

Tin Machine isn't in the running, even though it is an actual band, and Bowie took the same pay as everybody else, and and they all wrote together. Wings was Paul McCartney's backing band, and they got inducted as a band.

I guess I just shot my own theory to hell about dumping acclaim on people.

Oct 08 15 08:50 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Zack Zoll wrote:
Something else just occurred to me ...

Trent Reznor/NIN are up for voting this year. Bowie's band Tin Machine ran a LOT or parallels there - Reznor has even said that Bowie's album Low was his biggest influence. Both bands put out their first record in 1989, so both are eligible.

So both bands have an equal pedigree is what I'm saying, aside from longevity. And since they wrote and toured together, they were basically all one big band in the 90s.

Tin Machine isn't in the running, even though it is an actual band, and Bowie took the same pay as everybody else, and and they all wrote together. Wings was Paul McCartney's backing band, and they got inducted as a band.

I guess I just shot my own theory to hell about dumping acclaim on people.

No one fucking knows who Tin Machine is. That's why. Everyone sucks Paul McCartney's dick. He could have started a children's band or a band with cats meowing and they would be nominated.

NIN will get in.

Oct 08 15 09:07 pm Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Los Angeles, California, US

Where is Lawrence Welk? Arthur Fiedler?

Oct 08 15 09:09 pm Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Los Angeles, California, US

Oct 08 15 09:09 pm Link

Photographer

Wye

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Personally I've got a soft spot for Steve Miller.. though I'm curious as to why he's nominated as a solo act...

Oct 08 15 09:44 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Laguna Beach, California, US

Model Sarah wrote:
No one fucking knows who Tin Machine is.

i know the sales brothers from way back when, when they were todd rundgren's backing band. and they are soupy's sons, too. tongue

and the r&rhof is nothing more than a caricature of its intentions. how many times does ringo have to be inducted? nothing about that institution passes the smell test. unless you're sniffing for shit.

no need to look further than if they finally induct yes this year. really, you asswipes? it took the death of one of the two original founding members for you to finally get that right? and especially now, when they are a completely dysfunctional outfit?

DOUGLASFOTOS wrote:

why not? hey, if madonna gets in, why not old bubble brains, or af? full disclosure...i saw a concert in like '71 (a family outing, when i was a kid), at the old foxboro stadium, featuring the pops, with fiedler at the baton. it was--surprisingly--pretty good. smile

Oct 09 15 12:03 am Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Model Sarah wrote:

No one fucking knows who Tin Machine is. That's why. Everyone sucks Paul McCartney's dick. He could have started a children's band or a band with cats meowing and they would be nominated.

NIN will get in.

It doesn't matter. My point was that David Bowie is a massive player, and they've gone out of their way to induct those guys repeatedly, even to the point of inducting backing bands - which is really like inducting a solo artist twice for the same body of work.

Here is an opportunity to induct a big player yet again, for an actual send band this time, and they passed. Ringo has been inducted how many times? And how many people under 50 can actually remember the name of his non-Beatles band?

Like I said, I literally have no idea what the voting is based on anymore.

Oct 09 15 05:38 am Link

Photographer

martin b

No one else cheering for NWA?  For me they really changed music and influenced many artists.  I think I was lucky I grew up in the 80s when music was being made by musicians more than corporations.

Oct 09 15 07:03 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Zack Zoll wrote:
It doesn't matter. My point was that David Bowie is a massive player, and they've gone out of their way to induct those guys repeatedly, even to the point of inducting backing bands - which is really like inducting a solo artist twice for the same body of work.

Here is an opportunity to induct a big player yet again, for an actual send band this time, and they passed. Ringo has been inducted how many times? And how many people under 50 can actually remember the name of his non-Beatles band?

Like I said, I literally have no idea what the voting is based on anymore.

Tin Machine was really just Bowie taking a break and doing something slightly different and less accessible. NIN on the other hand was THE major project of Trent Reznor's life and career, the result of years trying different things with different people and deciding finally that he was going to try out his own ideas and banged it out of the park at least two times with those two first albums (at the very least... some would say more). Meanwhile, Tin Machine has less popularity than the Thompson Twins (I'm just going backwards alphabetically) which had no less than 3 hit songs of the '80s. Not a smart comparison.

Oct 09 15 07:25 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

martin b wrote:
No one else cheering for NWA?  For me they really changed music and influenced many artists.  I think I was lucky I grew up in the 80s when music was being made by musicians more than corporations.

I am.

Oct 09 15 07:26 am Link

Photographer

Evan Hiltunen

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Having NWA in this mix is like hiring Skinny Puppy to play at the Presbyterian Nursing Home.

Sure, I, personally, would love it, but the venue is wrong.

Oct 09 15 07:51 am Link

Photographer

LensFlair

Kenosha, Wisconsin, US

It's a travesty that Yes wasn't inducted years ago. Not many bands will ever match their musicianship.

Oct 09 15 01:11 pm Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

Here is how voting is going so far:

The Top 5
1 - Chicago 16.48% (6211128 votes)
2 - Yes 16.24% (6118729 votes)
3 - The Cars 16.19% (6101089 votes)
4 - Deep Purple 16.09% (6063995 votes)
5 - Steve Miller 16.02% (6036981 votes)

Janet Jackson 12.12% (4567204 votes)
Chaka Khan 1.22% (459912 votes)

Cheap Trick 1.00% (375302 votes)
N.W.A 0.94% (354561 votes)
The Spinners 0.94% (354380 votes)
Chic 0.87% (329198 votes)
The Smiths 0.60% (226008 votes)
The J.B.'s 0.49% (182861 votes)
Los Lobos 0.48% (179736 votes)
Nine Inch Nails 0.31% (116761 votes)

Oct 09 15 02:01 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Model Sarah wrote:
Tin Machine was really just Bowie taking a break and doing something slightly different and less accessible. NIN on the other hand was THE major project of Trent Reznor's life and career, the result of years trying different things with different people and deciding finally that he was going to try out his own ideas and banged it out of the park at least two times with those two first albums (at the very least... some would say more). Meanwhile, Tin Machine has less popularity than the Thompson Twins (I'm just going backwards alphabetically) which had no less than 3 hit songs of the '80s. Not a smart comparison.

Fair enough. But if you re-read my previous post, you see I don't need convincing smile

Bowie, McCartney, Dylan, and Springsteen are the only 'rock royalty' that are still recording off the top on my head. Sure the Stones and Clapton do, but none of those guys put out an album that people cared about since the mid-90s. All I'm saying is that if it were a popularity contest, like so many bands bitch that it is, wouldn't they jump to give Bowie another award? He's one of the biggest artists with Old Guy Cred that is still making records that people buy.

I do agree that in a perfect world, NIN would be a shoe-in. Reznor was directly responsible for almost all of the loud bands from the 90s that weren't grunge or grunge wannabees. If your band formed after 1993, and you own more than one distortion pedal, it's pretty much a guarantee that you owned NIN records. Half of those bands were even on his label.

Someone said earlier that they thought voting was based on who would show up, and that's the only reason I can think of why they wouldn't get the vote. That and the aforementioned random voting. I doubt a guy that encourages people to pirate his music gives a crap about winning awards.

Which is why we love him smile

Oct 09 15 04:07 pm Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

In all my life - this is the very first time I have heard of NWA being referred to as a "Rock and Roll" group.

Can you image the "lame-o-meter" response you would have gotten - if you had called them that in the SOC days?

"And entering the top 40 in the 38th slot is the new California rock and roll group "NWA" with their climbing hit - "Fuck tha Police" - - I'm Casey Kasem  - and this, is the top 40 countdown for the week of August 5th 1988...."

*chortle*

Oct 09 15 05:28 pm Link

Photographer

Evan Hiltunen

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Vintagevista wrote:
In all my life - this is the very first time I have heard of NWA being referred to as a "Rock and Roll" group.

Can you image the "lame-o-meter" response you would have gotten - if you had called them that in the SOC days?

"And entering the top 40 in the 38th slot is the new California rock and roll group "NWA" with their climbing hit - "Fuck the Police" - - I'm Casey Kasem  - and this, is the top 40 countdown for the week of August 5th 1988...."

*chortle*

It would seem that the Rock n Roll Hall o' Fame lacks clarity in their mission statement and selection criteria.

Didn't they induct Kermie the Frog a few decades ago for that rainbow song? I like that rainbow song!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSFLZ-MzIhM

Oct 09 15 05:42 pm Link

Photographer

martin b

Vintagevista wrote:

"And entering the top 40 in the 38th slot is the new California rock and roll group "NWA" with their climbing hit - "Fuck the Police" - - I'm Casey Kasem  - and this, is the top 40 countdown for the week of August 5th 1988...."

*chortle*

That's pretty weird but I don't think of the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame as just rock and roll.  Many are just groups or people that influenced music.  Some are just awesome people.  I think NWA falls under awesome.  So does Steve Miller, he is awesome even without the band.  Did he do any songs without his band?

I used to work with Casey Kasem's son out here in Asia on Asia's top 20.  Casey was a legend here in Asia but his wife is crazy.

Oct 09 15 06:06 pm Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

Just to be clear - I have no quarrel with NWA and their work -  - Their ability and influences are huge.  The fact that they remain this relevant 25+ years later - is something few groups could ever hope for.

Just wondering where the rock and roll folks think the lines are?? "They are not working that weekend?? - nominate them"

"Modern music hall of fame" - yeah, that'll work better.

Oct 09 15 09:18 pm Link

Photographer

Al Lock Photography

Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand

ernst tischler wrote:
Here is how voting is going so far:

The Top 5
1 - Chicago 16.48% (6211128 votes)
2 - Yes 16.24% (6118729 votes)
3 - The Cars 16.19% (6101089 votes)
4 - Deep Purple 16.09% (6063995 votes)
5 - Steve Miller 16.02% (6036981 votes)

Janet Jackson 12.12% (4567204 votes)
Chaka Khan 1.22% (459912 votes)

Cheap Trick 1.00% (375302 votes)
N.W.A 0.94% (354561 votes)
The Spinners 0.94% (354380 votes)
Chic 0.87% (329198 votes)
The Smiths 0.60% (226008 votes)
The J.B.'s 0.49% (182861 votes)
Los Lobos 0.48% (179736 votes)
Nine Inch Nails 0.31% (116761 votes)

To me, this is absolutely bizarre.

Deep Purple and Yes should have been in a long-time ago. Two of the most influential bands of the 70s. Chicago should have also been in a long time ago. Not as influential, but they definitely were popular and effectively represented a genre within rock.

The Cars, Cheap Trick and Steve Miller are all roughly the same in my eyes in terms of their popularity and their influence. Moderate on both accounts.

I could see the Smiths or NIN or the Spinners getting inducted. The way the R&R HOF is, it wouldn't surprise me. It also wouldn't surprise me if Yes or Deep Purple didn't make it. More likely is that Janet Jackson will be inducted. Makes no sense, so they'll do it.

And where is Grand Funk Railroad?

Oct 10 15 10:38 pm Link

Clothing Designer

Enigma Arcana

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

And where is Grand Funk Railroad?

On the sleeper car taking a well deserved nap that has apparently run into it's 40th year

Oct 16 15 02:40 am Link

Photographer

martin b

I can see the reasons why they include non rock artists.  Most of the big rock and rollers are for people over 50.  I somehow was thinking most of the older rockers were already in the hall of fame.  I used to love watching a show called Crossroads,  It would put older rockers with young pop stars.  I think that is more relevant to keeping the memory of rock around.

I'd watch any older rocker have a go with Iggy Azalea.

Oct 16 15 02:49 am Link