Forums > Photography Talk > The Model Matters More

Photographer

Marcio Faustino

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

My very little experience tells me it is not about the face itself but about models atitude and hability.

I live in germany, I was first in the sought and now in the north. I am Brazilian and I have photographed as many german faces as Brazilian faces. Beautiful faces but if it is all they have, try to create anything else other than a casual snap shot, like a story which demand models expression and posing. You are better off with avarege look girl who can actually make her look stand out.

Even cat walk models, if the model has only beauty but not a strong and firm atitude and action in their walk, they are left behind.

I remember my the first photo shoot I have assisted. The model came in and I judged it would be a boring shoot result because of the avarege or even not beautiful model look. But once in set after the direction, the model made her series of posing and I was wow. She was gorgious and spot on with the facial and body posing and expression.

I expected to be easier to find the best model look in Germany but I got desapointed. Very beautiful models/women but alot of photoshoots with no keepers because their too passive and private atitude, which made my workflow and portfolio development stagnated. Driving me to other kinds of projects with less demand or need of models.

I agree the model face (and body) has to be the right for the theme and purpose. But there is no such thing as the face or model that will fit every single theme and purpose. No matter how stunning is the model. Because different projects demand different look and face type.

What we can't forget is that often the right model is not the right because she has the "right face" or because she is beautiful, but only because she has a known face and name, which gives higher reputation to products or brands they are repsenting. And nothing else than recogniseble face and name.

Apr 06 16 04:30 am Link

Photographer

MissCanon

Miami, Florida, US

I've seen pictures where the model is doing an excellent job weather it's posing or awesome face features or sometimes cool concept or makeup but it doesn't look good because of the photographer work. I also suggest some minor retouching for some images.

Apr 06 16 08:25 am Link