Forums > Photography Talk > The Model Matters More

Photographer

Eyesso

Orlando, Florida, US

I'm not sure I've ever seen a better example of this.....a stylist painstakingly recreated iconic images of famous models, shot by a very talented photographer.  Anyway, a few years ago Lucas Passmore gave me this advice....he said when you are getting started shoot with the best models that you can find, and pay some of them if you have to, it will pay for itself, and your technical skills don't matter as much as the face in the photo.  He was right.

Here is the article...

http://petapixel.com/2015/08/05/fashion … the-model/

Here are a couple of examples of this concept in reverse....

A technically terrible picture of Adriana Lima 
http://cdni.condenast.co.uk/810x540/a_c … 10x540.jpg 

An very poorly (or not lit) photo of Candice Swanepoel 
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-EifW7Mv-V-Y/U … oel-32.jpg 

I guess I was reminded of this recently where I received praise for some photos of a model that I hardly spend any time editing.  So I thought I'd share as a friendly reminder that we shouldn't work hard, just work smart  wink

Oct 15 15 08:40 pm Link

Photographer

Vector One Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

I totally agree. A number of years ago I remember walking into my lab and saying that if I could find better models I could do better work. The lab owner says he has heard that from many of the photographer that come in.

A portrait photographer has to shoot whatever client paying him and has to make them look their best. And I tip my hat to them when a size 16 bride says to make her look beautiful.  But if you're the one paying, you get to pick and choose who you shoot and it's definitely an advantage.  I used to have a saying, "never take a picture of an ugly model, it fucks up the portfolio.".

The better the model, the better the results.  If you're great and she's great then the picture should be great. If she's great and you're only good then at least, she'll carry the photo. And if you're great and she's only so-so, you can only improve her image so much and no more.

I look at some of my work and think that it would have been a world class shot if only the model was better.  And for the most part, my best shots were done with the best models.

As much as you should judge the model and the photography separately, the truth is the world and most of the people in it look at it as a whole.

Oct 15 15 10:00 pm Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Eyesso wrote:
The Model Matters...

As does every member of the team especially on Beauty Genre and/or Fashion narratives... Put another way the photographer is no more or less important then the hair stylist, makeup artist, wardrobe stylist, lighting assistant and yes the model(s) selected to convey the narrative story line...

Ask a tenured makeup artist what it takes for model to achieve a excellent beauty story and the reply is nearly always the same... An oval face shape, perfectly symmetrical facial features (eyes, nose, ears, chin you get the idea), flawless complexion i.e. small pore size, glassy smooth surface texture, porcelain skin tone is an industry standard for beauty stories... and no ink...

Ask a wardrobe stylist what it takes for model to achieve an excellent fashion story and the reply is nearly always the same... 5'9" with a willowy physique, extremely narrow wrist and ankles... an amazing range of motion in order to achieve breathtaking pose dynamics... The ability to ability to visualizing a narrative to underscore its meaning and translate concepts into compelling metaphors... and yes tenured thespian skills are highly cherished... a.k.a. being able to emote effectively on camera... and no ink... this is about the designer's textile artistry not that of a tattoo artist.

Ask a hair stylist what it takes for model to achieve an excellent beauty and/or fashion story and the reply is nearly always the same... extremely long flowing tresses that will take and hold a curl... no split ends i.e. well groomed hair styling... and the industry standard is blonde... unless the clothing designers narrative/theme calls for other hue/chroma...  Ideally no color treatments... well conditioned and cared for... and yes no face metal...

Without a highly skilled team of tenured professionals a photographer will unlikely create commercial quality imagery...

That said the eight hundred pound gorilla in the room is the gifted retoucher who has the innate ability to craft digital artwork which can overcome the limitations of each and every team member on the session...  funny how peripheral the photographer of record actually is to aggregate synergy present in a high end project...

Enough said...

Oct 16 15 04:15 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

Thomas Van Dyke wrote:
...Without a highly skilled team of tenured professionals a photographer will unlikely create commercial quality imagery...
Enough said...

Subject matter certainly is important, but of course most of us have seen those videos such as the Dove commercial video where a team takes a very average looking subject and transformers her likeness into a very different end commercial image.  It's beyond my ability, but I imagine a good team, including someone good with photoshop could take the "average" people on the left in most of those examples and recreate the image on the right.

Oct 16 15 07:14 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Chicago fashion photographer Jack Perno says it well.   Its all about the model.   That's why I strongly suggest those shooters looking to become pros head to local agencies.   Try and use their models to test to build your book.   Looking for fashion or beauty models on sites like this is often a waste of time.   Even when you can pay.   However for what many of us do I'm not convinced that using 'better' models makes a real difference.   There are lots of other factors.   A member recently showed some work he did of a former Penthouse Pet.  The images were average at best.   Photographers paying models from here might also be wise to ask for casual snaps or non-edited photos before setting up paid sessions.

Oct 16 15 09:15 am Link

Photographer

Michael Alestra

MOUNT ROYAL, New Jersey, US

Vector One Photography wrote:
I totally agree. A number of years ago I remember walking into my lab and saying that if I could find better models I could do better work. The lab owner says he has heard that from many of the photographer that come in.

A portrait photographer has to shoot whatever client paying him and has to make them look their best. And I tip my hat to them when a size 16 bride says to make her look beautiful.  But if you're the one paying, you get to pick and choose who you shoot and it's definitely an advantage.  I used to have a saying, "never take a picture of an ugly model, it fucks up the portfolio.".

The better the model, the better the results.  If you're great and she's great then the picture should be great. If she's great and you're only good then at least, she'll carry the photo. And if you're great and she's only so-so, you can only improve her image so much and no more.

I look at some of my work and think that it would have been a world class shot if only the model was better.  And for the most part, my best shots were done with the best models.

As much as you should judge the model and the photography separately, the truth is the world and most of the people in it look at it as a whole.

models are actors and actresses and there are good actors and actresses. physical beauty only goes so far to making a compelling image.

i've seen some terrible images of really good models. a great image requires all parties to perform their job at a high level.

Oct 16 15 09:39 am Link

Photographer

Laubenheimer

New York, New York, US

Diane Arbus had good models. So did Avedon.

Oct 16 15 10:15 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

The better the model, the better the results.  If you're great and she's great then the picture should be great. If she's great and you're only good then at least, she'll carry the photo...

I agree!

There was one I worked with and I thought: "I don't even need to be here with her.  Just set the intervalometer to auto-pilot and leave and go have a cheeseburger at McDonalds.  I'll come back at the end of her shoot time."

Someday I may test that theory...

As to actresses and models, they don't always seem to crossover well to the other genre.  Some actresses can look like a deer caught in the headlights and cannot pose at all, while the pro model cannot act for crap.  Sometimes dancers get into the same mess too.  A pro model just has something in their DNA, and I don't think many others can learn it either.  One is always a standout in a pack of models - and the others can only aspire to be that person.

Oct 16 15 10:33 am Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

Eyesso wrote:
I'm not sure I've ever seen a better example of this.....a stylist painstakingly recreated iconic images of famous models, shot by a very talented photographer.  Anyway, a few years ago Lucas Passmore gave me this advice....he said when you are getting started shoot with the best models that you can find, and pay some of them if you have to, it will pay for itself, and your technical skills don't matter as much as the face in the photo.  He was right.

Here is the article...

http://petapixel.com/2015/08/05/fashion … the-model/

Here are a couple of examples of this concept in reverse....

A technically terrible picture of Adriana Lima 
http://cdni.condenast.co.uk/810x540/a_c … 10x540.jpg 

An very poorly (or not lit) photo of Candice Swanepoel 
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-EifW7Mv-V-Y/U … oel-32.jpg 

I guess I was reminded of this recently where I received praise for some photos of a model that I hardly spend any time editing.  So I thought I'd share as a friendly reminder that we shouldn't work hard, just work smart  wink

crapy work will never get you noticed regardless of the subject.

you can buy the most expensive paint in the world, your paintings will still look like shit if you dont have the talent!

Oct 16 15 11:16 am Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

The F-Stop wrote:
crapy work will never get you noticed regardless of the subject.

you can buy the most expensive paint in the world, your paintings will still look like shit if you dont have the talent!

Arbus made crap work. Seriously, her technical skills were terrible. Most Japanese photographers from WWII through the 80s had technically poor work as well.

Name a star painter from the last fifty years that had(or utilized) their technical skill. Go on, I'll wait.

For me, Chuck Close is the only one that comes to mind. Even technically gifted painters like Gerhardt Richter are not known for their technically skilled works. He's known for streak paintings.

Yes, Kincaide got great success from his technically proficient work. And with him dead, Hallmark is doomed. The rest of the 'art' world ... They'll move on.

You look at a photograph. The model is your subject. That means that the model is what the photo is 'about.' The model doesn't have to be attractive, well-posed, or anything else - but it has to be appropriate to the image. If not, you need to find a way to MAKE it appropriate. Otherwise, no amount of technical skill will make it a good photo.

What would make Avedon's photos worse:  if they were all grainy, or if every subject had 'say cheese' face?

That said, that doesn't mean that only paid models produce good work. Quite the contrary. But it does men that if your subject is bad, the best you can hope to produce is a technically brilliant image of a bad subject.

We have a lot of that in Upstate New York. It's called Adirondack Photography. And regardless of how many New York City residents buy those images for their second homes up here, there's a reason why it almost never shows up in ArtForum or the NY MoMA. Because despite the technical brilliance, it's boring as shit.

Oct 16 15 04:04 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

There are reasons why modeling agencies are so choosy with their models.   The best ones want the best visually appealing models.   Height, figure, skin, teeth and overall look are critical.   Its also important for photographers looking to shoot fashion, beauty or commercial.   Art directors and clients will often trust you to be able to pick models that work for their products or clothes.   A photographers book is often judged as much if not more by the model he shows then his work.   A so-so shot of a Jourdan Dunn will be more valuable then a great shot of a sub par model.   This doesn't matter as much for art shooters.   Avedon was a fashion and art shooter who did very well in both worlds.   If the plan is to approach fashion or commercial clients then you MUST develop a relationship with local agencies.

Having the right models in your book can mean the difference between getting it in front of a AD or not being considered at all.

Oct 16 15 04:27 pm Link

Photographer

PhotoByWayne

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I used to have a saying, "never take a picture of an ugly model, it fucks up the portfolio.".

What if a photographer can turn a below average looking model into above average, using photography techniques?  A similar analogy would be to coach a bad team to overachieve.  Or a makeup artist who can turn a below average face into an attractive one.  Wouldn't that make a photographer even more valuable?

Oct 16 15 05:52 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

It depends on the portfolio. If you were an 'art' photographer, you would be best served by photographing as many ugly people as possible. Fashion, the opposite. Commercial, your best bet is to photograph ugly people so that they look pretty - with a snapshot so that you can see how ugly they really are, of course.

But that's assuming that every client is as rational and procedural as you are. In reality, it almost never works that way. Art outlets like uncomfortable people, and everybody else likes pretty people. Even though the mark of a good commercial photographer is to hide blemishes and the like, nobody wants to be part of that. Everybody wants to see a bunch of perfect faces, so they are 'one of the cool kids', and they can belong.

Nobody wants to see the magician's tricks, even though it SHOULD be the best portfolio.

Trust me, I've tried the A/B thing. Most clients say,'Wow, good work. I think I'll look elsewhere.'

Oct 16 15 06:24 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

GRMACK wrote:
As to actresses and models, they don't always seem to crossover well to the other genre.

You raise an interesting point.  There are probably others, but, off the top of my head, Charlotte Rampling is the model I can recall who subsequently made a significant career in acting.

Oct 16 15 07:56 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Thomas Van Dyke wrote:

As does every member of the team especially on Beauty Genre and/or Fashion narratives... Put another way the photographer is no more or less important then the hair stylist, makeup artist, wardrobe stylist, lighting assistant and yes the model(s) selected to convey the narrative story line...

I agree completely. Photography is like any other chain: only as strong as the weakest link.

Oct 16 15 07:58 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

GRMACK wrote:
As to actresses and models, they don't always seem to crossover well to the other genre.

Rob Photosby wrote:
You raise an interesting point.  There are probably others, but, off the top of my head, Charlotte Rampling is the model I can recall who subsequently made a significant career in acting.

There's actually quite a few, depending on just how you define 'significant':

Audrey Hepburn
Marilyn Monroe
Lauren Bacall
Rene Russo
Cameron Diaz
Brooke Shields
Elizabeth Hurley
Milla Jovovich
Sharon Stone
Charlize Theron
Uma Thurman
Angelina Jolie
Megan Fox
Cobie Smulders
Mark Wahlberg

(And a lot more who were child models then became actors.)

Oct 16 15 09:10 pm Link

Photographer

R Bruce Duncan

Santa Barbara, California, US

In general, one can learn how to create images in a book.

Not great, but master f. stop/exposure/focus and depth of field.

The model is the sine qua non of great images.

RBD

Oct 16 15 09:24 pm Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Sure some can transition, but it isn't that common.  Besides, too many Hollywood actors are related to someone who got them there too.

I'll clarify what I met as to the distinction between a model and actress as to still photography.

Actors often need direction from a director, and if you put them in a photo studio they'll likely need a lot of direction from the photographer.

When you have a really good model, they just do it with little or no direction and you really could walk away and run your camera on auto-pilot (i.e. They need little to no direction as do actors.), or maybe even let a monkey push the shutter button.

Not basing anything on looks, just a really solid camera interaction with little direction.  You won't hear "What do I do (in this scene) ?"  They already know.

Fwiw, I got a laugh from one of my MUAH people who had some stylist throw a total hissy-fit at 9 pro agency models vs. one standout model in the layout she was involved in.  One stood out far better than the rest and the stylist wanted the others "To watch Mary and do it how she does it!  Damn it!"  So one out of 10 produced the results that day.

Oct 16 15 09:53 pm Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

opps!  DP

Oct 16 15 09:54 pm Link

Photographer

Marcio Faustino

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

Of curse the subject of the photo is important, be it a model or anything else.
Which does't mean it must be beautiful or profissional.

Most of my models and most of my best photographs were taken with avarege women, aspiring model or not model at all.

I paid a high price for a half day photo shoot to a very attractive model. She was a very good model and really beautiful, but after looking the results I realised that dispite the good looking actrative body and face that highlight the photo, and all her experience as professional model, she wasn't what I needed and by far was not the right model for my project. I was pround to show the beauty I photographed but not proud of the photos themselve. So only one or maybe two shots from a half day shoot and hundreds of images was worth.

While I got models way best for my project afterwards paying much less or even not paying at all but trading, shooting for about 1 hour more or less, getting much less images from the shoot of a avarege women, but the right one, the one I need, and have more keepers photographs this time which I am more pround of.

Oct 19 15 02:12 am Link

Photographer

Mikey McMichaels

New York, New York, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
There are reasons why modeling agencies are so choosy with their models.   The best ones want the best visually appealing models.   Height, figure, skin, teeth and overall look are critical.   Its also important for photographers looking to shoot fashion, beauty or commercial.   Art directors and clients will often trust you to be able to pick models that work for their products or clothes.   A photographers book is often judged as much if not more by the model he shows then his work.   A so-so shot of a Jourdan Dunn will be more valuable then a great shot of a sub par model.   This doesn't matter as much for art shooters.   Avedon was a fashion and art shooter who did very well in both worlds.   If the plan is to approach fashion or commercial clients then you MUST develop a relationship with local agencies.

Having the right models in your book can mean the difference between getting it in front of a AD or not being considered at all.

I'm not disagreeing, I want to expand on a small portion.

A person's physical appearance comes from the inside. I don't mean that in an "everyone's a winner" way, I mean that everyone can look horrendous - think of that one Beyonce concert shot.

While there are certain physical attributes that have a huge influence on someone's appearance, the way they are feeling and what they are expression is what drives their face and body language.

The appearance of the model in the photo is influenced by the photographer in non-technical ways.

Oct 19 15 10:21 pm Link

Photographer

Mikey McMichaels

New York, New York, US

Zack Zoll wrote:
It depends on the portfolio. If you were an 'art' photographer, you would be best served by photographing as many ugly people as possible. Fashion, the opposite. Commercial, your best bet is to photograph ugly people so that they look pretty - with a snapshot so that you can see how ugly they really are, of course.

But that's assuming that every client is as rational and procedural as you are. In reality, it almost never works that way. Art outlets like uncomfortable people, and everybody else likes pretty people. Even though the mark of a good commercial photographer is to hide blemishes and the like, nobody wants to be part of that. Everybody wants to see a bunch of perfect faces, so they are 'one of the cool kids', and they can belong.

Nobody wants to see the magician's tricks, even though it SHOULD be the best portfolio.

Trust me, I've tried the A/B thing. Most clients say,'Wow, good work. I think I'll look elsewhere.'

Why are ugly people better for art?

Oct 19 15 10:23 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

I would say that for the vast amount of what's shown here it doesn't matter all that much.   Nudes no matter how well done just tend not to sell well.   However if you plan to show your work to designers, art directors, agencies and others your models need to be top notch.   Your lighting, direction, styling and concepts can be on point but a average to below average looking model can ruin your shot.   This is why knowing how to cast models can be critical.   This is why I may be a broken record but photographers looking to move up and do national campaigns or show their work to commercial clients or cosmetic or hair product makers must find and show you know how to choose and show models that shine.   This often means using agency models.

In some cases YOU as a photographer will be tasked with helping to choose models.   Part of testing is to see and meet new models.   Models that have it look great even when shot by goofs like me.   While their are some wonderful models on this site there are precious few actual fashion models.   Experience for models means little.   How nice she is or that she likes puppies.   Who cares.   Its her ability to emote and be stunning or memorable.

Oct 19 15 10:56 pm Link

Photographer

Marcio Faustino

Tony Lawrence wrote:
I would say that for the vast amount of what's shown here it doesn't matter all that much.   Nudes no matter how well done just tend not to sell well.   [...]

Last time I was in a flea market selling my prints, I sold more nude photographs than landscapes and still. And the comments I heard was that my nude photographs was real art.

So I assume it depends on the kind of nude,

Oct 21 15 03:24 am Link

Photographer

Mike Collins

Orlando, Florida, US

I really wouldn't say it's the model as much as it is the photographer who can bring it out of the model, or who ever. 

The greatest portraits in the world were not because of the person being photographed but the photographer capturing that right expression and pose, that "defining moment."  It's the photographers ability to direct their subject to get the shot.  This is one reason many fail.  They don't communicate well or just think the model should know what to do.  No.  Your model is only as good as your direction and vision. 

Photographers fail because they can't communicate well.  Models fail because they can't take direction. 

I don't think it's their "look".  Model's "looks" run the gambit.  It's more of the efforts of the photographer AND the model together working in harmony to get the desired shot.

Oct 21 15 07:10 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I consider the model to be very important in my photography

Oct 21 15 09:51 am Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Mikey McMichaels wrote:

No idea. But you'll see way more Iggy Pops than Iggy Azealeas in MoMA. Most of the Azeleas you do see will be without makeup, and looking sad, or spaced-out, or otherwise not at her best.

Maybe it's because good-looking people are too glossy. I think it's the obsession with 'the other', which happens less with attractive people. If you grow up incredibly good looking, you're less likely to fall into a subculture, because the regular culture is more likely to accept you.

But either way, your average unattractive person is more likely to land you a spot at one of those prestigious places than your average hottie.

Unless that hottie is a famous dead person, of course smile

Oct 21 15 05:24 pm Link

Photographer

LeonardG Photography

San Francisco, California, US

Eyesso wrote:
Here is the article...

that is comparing apples to orange crates. using unretouched images of a purposely older and somewhat heavier face is loading the deck. while the purpose was to intentionally demonstrate the "ordinary" to "ideal" it's not the same as doing a good job with an "normal" person. more likely "ugly" to "ideal"

for advertising, the best possible subject with best staging and best photographer is used to illustrate a point. we get so picky that in most instances, we use a hand crafted carefully chosen soap bar for the product shot - not a package off the production line. a good photographer knows tricks to improve any model. from setting up the subject into the right frame of mind to choosing the right moment for the shutter to open.

there are also images where the subject or model is the point of the shoot. not just to sell something. portraits and ads have different purposes. but the way the photographer chooses to portray the subject - for good or bad, is just as important.

Oct 22 15 12:34 pm Link

Photographer

Marcio Faustino

Zack Zoll wrote:
No idea. But you'll see way more Iggy Pops than Iggy Azealeas in MoMA. Most of the Azeleas you do see will be without makeup, and looking sad, or spaced-out, or otherwise not at her best.

Maybe it's because good-looking people are too glossy. I think it's the obsession with 'the other', which happens less with attractive people. If you grow up incredibly good looking, you're less likely to fall into a subculture, because the regular culture is more likely to accept you.

But either way, your average unattractive person is more likely to land you a spot at one of those prestigious places than your average hottie.

I am not surebwho said it, but I read once one of theses famous and respected visual artists saying that every peace of art has something melancolic and lonely on it. The commercial/fashion/glamour imagery is about the oposit I supose.

Oct 22 15 03:04 pm Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Stamford, Connecticut, US

Mikey McMichaels wrote:

Zack Zoll wrote:

He's right about this, follow modern art photography and you'll see the trend clear as day.  Post-Modernism at it's best.

Unless the photographer is famous, the subject always matters.  If you're shooting fashion/beauty it doesn't matter how good the photography is, or even the story (that I know is so important to you), if your book contains faces that are "wrong" it just won't be taken seriously.  In art circles, it's kind of the same way.  I would say, however, that the inverse of what Zack said is also true, take a beautiful person and make them look haggard, or strung out, and the response is basically the same.

In commercial (not editorial fashion which is basically art photography) photography it's different.  Same with retail.

Oct 22 15 03:42 pm Link

Photographer

Mikey McMichaels

New York, New York, US

Giacomo Cirrincioni wrote:

Mikey McMichaels wrote:

He's right about this, follow modern art photography and you'll see the trend clear as day.  Post-Modernism at it's best.

Unless the photographer is famous, the subject always matters.  If you're shooting fashion/beauty it doesn't matter how good the photography is, or even the story (that I know is so important to you), if your book contains faces that are "wrong" it just won't be taken seriously.  In art circles, it's kind of the same way.  I would say, however, that the inverse of what Zack said is also true, take a beautiful person and make them look haggard, or strung out, and the response is basically the same.

In commercial (not editorial fashion which is basically art photography) photography it's different.  Same with retail.

Are you saying content is king?

Oct 22 15 09:30 pm Link

Photographer

mophotoart

Wichita, Kansas, US

so...to take this another step forward...the subject matters more?...be it a model or landscape, not the photographer...not buying it....it is about the image....and what made that image...the beautiful model made a poor photographer look good, a good photographer that can make anything look good...mute point.....it helps when all things fall in place...great model or whatever subject, good tools to get the shot, good skills to perfect the image...it is all about the image and what made it right...not always the model or the quarterback...sometimes it is the model, sometimes the photographer, mostly a combination, so the model is only part of it, not what matters most.

Oct 22 15 10:20 pm Link

Photographer

Marcio Faustino

mophotoart wrote:
so...to take this another step forward...the subject matters more?...be it a model or landscape, not the photographer...not buying it....it is about the image....and what made that image...the beautiful model made a poor photographer look good, a good photographer that can make anything look good...mute point.....it helps when all things fall in place...great model or whatever subject, good tools to get the shot, good skills to perfect the image...it is all about the image and what made it right...not always the model or the quarterback...sometimes it is the model, sometimes the photographer, mostly a combination, so the model is only part of it, not what matters most.

You sound right.

Otherwaise what would differ a good photographer from a bad one, or a magazine photograph from a snap shot? The model?
I don't think so.

Oct 23 15 12:23 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

There are reasons modeling agencies are choosy when they sign models.   Photographers looking to work in the industry must also choose their models they show in their books with care.   Many if not most photographers on MM aren't working with major clients.   That's no slam of any shooter here but for what's being done here it may never matter.   However if you want to work with advertising agencies, designers and clients who pay well then the models you show matters almost as much as how well you shoot.   This may sound counterintuitive but many times a AD has most of the creative control over a shoot.   They or a client won't just allow you free reign over a shoot to be creative and hopefully give them what they need.   That is editorial work.

It is CRITICAL to have a relationship with agencies if you are trying to do fashion, beauty or commercial photography.   Look, I'm not talking about work booked from Craigslist or someone who found you on Facebook.   When you are trying for jobs that pay thousands, clients may ask where you find your models.   The models you show matters.   Take a look at Victor Demarchelier's website:   http://victordemarchelier.net/fashion    While his images would be solid with lessor models those he is using are BEAUTIFUL.   A great shooter can make anyone look good for certain but the ideal is not to have to worry about making your model look taller or deemphasize her/his flaws but to focus on the image.   

Most of this will never matter to hobbyists.

Oct 23 15 01:09 am Link

Photographer

Mikey McMichaels

New York, New York, US

Marcio Faustino wrote:

You sound right.

Otherwaise what would differ a good photographer from a bad one, or a magazine photograph from a snap shot? The model?
I don't think so.

The ability to control the story that the photo tells.

Look around MM. There are tons of amazing photos of something other than what the photographer intended.

Oct 23 15 02:06 am Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

four things that matter

1) The photographer and his reputation.  If you have a reputation you can charge more.  .If you are famous your pictures are worth more.

2) The subject matter, model or celebrity or person getting married.

3) The quality of the art work.  Is it just a snapshot or a high end shoot or art piece.

4) The importance of the piece. is it a wedding portrait it is worth more to the couple than just a snapshot.  Is it the presidents portrait it is worth more or an album cover.

This is how I explain art worth for people who are casual viewers.

I am sure everyone asks why is that crap in the museum is more expensive than my great piece of art.  Yes, Picasso makes 4 lines that is worth more than everything you will ever make.  Yes, a print of Herb Ritts is $10,000 because Cindy Crawford is naked in it.  Yes your favorite picture of your dog is worth a great deal to you because the subject matter is important to you.  And yes your wedding portrait has more value than the snapshots because the photographer was a professional who you paid money to.

The model matters a lot.  So does the Photographer, why it was taken, a magazine shoot or a fun shoot.  The quality of the image.

Oct 23 15 09:31 am Link

Photographer

Ike Lace Photography

Chicago, Illinois, US

Eyesso wrote:
The Model Matters More

lol.

Oct 23 15 07:34 pm Link

Photographer

Jason Bassett

Hollywood, Florida, US

I mean in all photographs the most important factor for ME is the subject. And in portrait work, it would certainly fall onto the model.

There is power is that for me. And that does NOT mean the model has to be some superstar, gorgeous woman from Sweden... but could be like the subjects in Joey Lawrence's work in Ethiopia, or a group of elephants in Africa.

Oct 23 15 09:35 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Just to take an extreme view, I'm curious which the Maybem thinks would sell more cosmetics: a bad photo of a girl with excellent makeup, or a good photo of a girl with bad makeup?

Oct 23 15 09:36 pm Link

Photographer

Mikey McMichaels

New York, New York, US

Zack Zoll wrote:
Just to take an extreme view, I'm curious which the Maybem thinks would sell more cosmetics: a bad photo of a girl with excellent makeup, or a good photo of a girl with bad makeup?

Neither. A photo of a girl they wish they could be.

Oct 24 15 01:55 am Link