Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Bodypaints and UV/fluro products for Underwater

Photographer

Chris David Photography

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Hi all.
I'm starting to resume my underwater portraits project since its starting to get warm again here in Sydney.
My challenges this season is including body painting into the mix. One style under normal lighting and another switching to UV reactive/fluro products which will be photographed using specially designed UV/Blacklight like lighting.

Just wondering on the most effective technique and products you would use in applying makeup & bodypaints for underwater photography. Guessing a number of these waterproof products most hmua's do not readily have in their kits so I'm planning to purchase some and keep on hand for their use on my shoots. Any help and product links would be appreciated (I will try and source locally). Thanks in advance.

Can see the effect of the special UV/Blacklight equipment on normal fluro face/body paints here. https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/151015/20/562070fbe07e7_m.jpg

Oct 16 15 07:39 am Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Any electrical appliance in a swimming pool is a recipe for a fatal disaster...  Only consider using lighting fixtures that are designed explicitly for swimming pool installation and usage...  Absolutely nothing is more important than the safety of team members...  With cardiac arrest death occurs within minutes...   

Enough said...

Oct 16 15 08:27 am Link

Photographer

Chris David Photography

Thomas Van Dyke wrote:
Any electrical appliance in a swimming pool is a recipe for a fatal disaster...  Only consider using lighting fixtures that are designed explicitly for swimming pool installation and usage...  Absolutely nothing is more important than the safety of team members...  With cardiac arrest death occurs within minutes...   

Enough said...

The lighting equipment being used are all specially designed for underwater/scuba diving applications and run off batteries. I have been using them on dives up to 35m but they are rate up to 100m. Safety and comfort issues have already been addressed and also why its being done in a pool instead of the ocean.

Oct 16 15 02:04 pm Link

Body Painter

Lisa Berczel

New Castle, Pennsylvania, US

The most readily available UV/Blacklight bodypaints are unfortunately water based.

There is a smaller selection available in alcohol based...

I suspect cream/greasepaint based will be your best bet. Unfortunately, it won't be as easy to get crisp details.
Suggest experimenting with a cream base and hand-painting with a black overtop for reverse-out line work.

The quality of the UV/Blacklight illumination will make a tremendous difference. I have no idea how the lights/pigments will react under water, but above the waterline should be quite do-able.

If you're willing to explore above/below split shots then you can open up the creative palette to water-based colors.

Oct 17 15 10:43 am Link

Photographer

Chris David Photography

I have found a waterproof product range called "ProAiir Hybrid Makeup " that looks promising but no one locally stocks it so would have to order online. Has anyone tried it and can share their experience?
I also did find some from Endura but not in the colours Im after.

Oct 22 15 04:00 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Tall Kat

Columbus, Ohio, US

I've used the Endura and I've been pretty pleased with the results.  Skin Illustrator is another brand that makes alcohol activated makeup.  They have a larger color variety than I've seen in Endura.  The Skin Illustrator purple fluoresces very slightly under black light but I doubt it is as vibrant as you are looking for. 

PAX paint won't go anywhere underwater and you can make it in any color you want.  Your model may end up hating you as it is a real pain to remove.

Oct 28 15 02:00 pm Link

Photographer

DCurtis

San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico

When I was searching the forums about metallic make up and oil, I came across this image (18+) https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/16404378 It appears Tim Gratton https://www.modelmayhem.com/1104683 used metallic gold powder and olive oil, in water (a stream)

I guess the same process could be used with fluorescent pigment. If the pigment is oil soluble, it may be a problem, but if it is just suspended in the oil, it should be safe.

Amazon offers UV reactive pigments. Most of the food oils are UV reactive, but not as bright as the pigments.

Maybe latex fluorescent body paint would work also. http://www.liquidlatex.com/liquidlatex1.html I am allergic to latex, so I stay away from the stuff.

Oct 29 15 10:22 am Link