Forums > Critique > Profile/Portfolio Critique? Model's opinions?

Photographer

Mad Hatter Imagery

Buffalo, New York, US

Oct 26 15 01:38 pm Link

Photographer

Mad Hatter Imagery

Buffalo, New York, US

Oct 28 15 05:49 pm Link

Model

Veroni_ca

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hi, I'm an amateur model and photographer, so please keep that in mind.
What I have to say about your profile:
1) Your "About me" section is a bit too long, IMO the whole "Processing & Copyrights" part is unnecessary, and Introduction is a bit too detailed, if I'm browsing through dozens of photographers, I won't read it thoroughly anyway, so you might consider keeping there only essential info. All the rest you can clarify in PM once you're being contacted.
2) As for portfolio, there are some nice photos but there are some that look very amateur, where light is completely off or horizon is skewed or limbs are cropped off in a really disturbing way. Given that you have some nice pictures I'd say you probably should consider more carefully what to include in your portfolio.

Hope that helps and you're not being offended!

Oct 29 15 10:04 am Link

Photographer

Mad Hatter Imagery

Buffalo, New York, US

Veroni_ca wrote:
Hi, I'm an amateur model and photographer, so please keep that in mind.

Hope that helps and you're not being offended!

I appreciate the input. Please message me with the photos you'd have me swap out? My intro probably is too detailed but I don't expect most people to read it all. I just like knowing I've been completely forthcoming so there is nothing unanswered later. I only mention my processing system because many models expect me to edit a few photos for them, some seem to expect me to upload many large files to them than receive a dvd, and one in particular was shocked when I didn't take her photos in raw format. Why shouldn't I make all these things clear in my profile so I don't have to give a speel later?

Oct 29 15 06:46 pm Link

Photographer

Jan Tanski

Middlesbrough, England, United Kingdom

I hope you don't mind other photographer opinion.
I will not speak about introduction but It is too long, nobody reads it (do not worry I made same mistake)
You should start to work with a flash and upgrade your photoshop skills. Although photography with natural light is great but sometimes we need flash. It will become handy in the future while working in studio. Some photos are nice but they are dark (i.e.. https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/39275979 and https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/39275852) either delete them or work on them.
My overall opinion is : You have to work on your PF and then you will attract models.
Please don't take it personally as it is only a bunch of advises.
Cheers

Oct 30 15 10:31 am Link

Photographer

Mad Hatter Imagery

Buffalo, New York, US

Jan Tanski wrote:
I hope you don't mind other photographer opinion.
I will not speak about introduction but It is too long, nobody reads it (do not worry I made same mistake)
You should start to work with a flash and upgrade your photoshop skills. Although photography with natural light is great but sometimes we need flash. It will become handy in the future while working in studio. Some photos are nice but they are dark (i.e.. https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/39275979 and https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/39275852) either delete them or work on them.
My overall opinion is : You have to work on your PF and then you will attract models.
Please don't take it personally as it is only a bunch of advises.
Cheers

Those photos were I think with my old powershot camera before I got an SLR. They probably do need some brightening. What is PF?

Oct 30 15 11:46 am Link

Photographer

Jan Tanski

Middlesbrough, England, United Kingdom

PF is an abbreviation from portfolio.
It is commonly used, at least in Poland

Oct 30 15 02:17 pm Link

Photographer

Mad Hatter Imagery

Buffalo, New York, US

When it comes to cropping which photos should I recrop? And what do I do if there is an object or something in the environment that presently is just barely cropped out that is best left out all together?

Oct 30 15 05:32 pm Link