Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > How is the Cosmix Makeup Artistry Master program?

Model

VM-MUA Model Retoucher

Miami, Florida, US

I live in Miami, and Cosmix is in Fort Lauderdale. I'm 19 and feel intimidated by the schools events and would have to put a lot of effort into the transportation, I'd be taking a train everyday school day there and back.

Now, has anyone there taken the Mastery program?

How is the atmosphere like?

Is it hectic or do they go at a very slow and confutable pace?

Is it intimidating?

Is the makeup kit a full professional make up kit or is it very incomplete?

Are the people supportive and truly helpful to each other or do they pick favorites and create drama, while selling a pleasant atmosphere for money? (Both students and instructors)

I'm scared I won't know how to act in front of a male model, or I might get lost during an event or project, or maybe the atmosphere is not very inviting once you're a student.

I will take a tour of the school and weigh the pros and cons, of course.

Please if you can answer my questions, and tell me about your experience and any advice, I'd appreciate it.

Thank you!

Nov 02 15 07:18 pm Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

VisualMayhemModeling wrote:
Cosmix Makeup Artistry Master

Before you even think about enrolling in this program please carefully review the following Florida Cosmetology, Makeup & Cosmetics Licensing information...

Without a license you CAN NOT legally apply makeup in the state of Florida for monetary compensation... period! Here is the legal verbiage on the aforementioned...

If Cosmix is not providing the necessary 500 hours (minimum) training required for Makeup & Cosmetics Licensing then it is a scam...  Do not fall for their marketing hype... Either they provide the training required to license or they are a ripoff...

I apologize for cutting to the chase here but I grow weary of seeing young naive aspiring artist ripped off...
Yes Florida is a lucrative state for those who hold a Makeup & Cosmetics License...
And I encourage you to pursue it...

Hope this helps...
All the best on your journey...

Nov 03 15 05:18 am Link

Makeup Artist

Darrick Law

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

I went to Cosmix back in 2008. I liked the program but it was different back then so I can't necessarily speak to current curriculum. Then the production program was the highest level they offered and it was less time, maybe 3-3 1/2 months. But I did enjoy the school. They covered a wide variety of topics and have educators specific to each one doing the teaching for it. Speaking to Thomas' comment as soon as the state laws changed in FL they did send out notice to past students about the required changes. I moved back to Minnesota after schooling though so it didn't affect me and I didn't look into what the new laws were for FL.

I'd get in contact with the school and see if you can do a tour since you live fairly close. Also, they offer continuing education and seminars as well. In fact, I just got an email that Michael DeVellis will be there on Dec 1st. That might be a good event to go check it out.

Nov 22 15 06:32 am Link

Makeup Artist

Dana Spence

Washington, District of Columbia, US

I'm a Cosmix grad.

If you are interested in salon hair/makeup work, which requires cosmetology licensing, this is not the school for you.
If you want to work in print, on sets, backstage, or are interested in joining the film/theatre union, you will graduate well prepared. I always think people should look at the careers of the person offering the class before they pay. Google can tell you if your teacher is actually an experienced artist worth the money or full of hot air. If I end up with a resume even HALF as impressive of some of my Cosmix teachers, I will be very, very happy.

My program covered HD technique, airbrush, color theory, sanitation, period wig styling, moulage, life casting, beard laying, prosthetic makeup, and proper "setiquette" from teachers who have actually experienced working in film and fashion for twenty years or more. The student kit provided to me was the same quality of makeup that I would actually use on a set, but I also brought along some of my favorite must-have items (especially my brushes!!!).

Nov 22 15 06:19 pm Link