Forums > Photography Talk > Enlarged Pupils

Photographer

Masciandaro Photography

Westfield, New Jersey, US

So my go to setup for remote headshot sessions is now just a few speedlights and an umbrella. Packs up nicely, easy to set up and break down and clients are happy with the results. One thing I'm noticing is that since I'm not using a modeling light my subjects pupils tend to widen in response to relatively low ambient light.

Not a big deal but noticeable when zoomed in... especially if the client has pretty eyes that are marginalized by a narrow iris. Anyone have a simple workaround? I turn up the ambient light to help focusing but doesn't seem to do make much difference.

Nov 06 15 10:51 am Link

Photographer

D a v i d s o n

Gig Harbor, Washington, US

Masciandaro Photography wrote:
So my go to setup for remote headshot sessions is now just a few speedlights and an umbrella. Packs up nicely, easy to set up and break down and clients are happy with the results. One thing I'm noticing is that since I'm not using a modeling light my subjects pupils tend to widen in response to relatively low ambient light.

Not a big deal but noticeable when zoomed in... especially if the client has pretty eyes that are marginalized by a narrow iris. Anyone have a simple workaround? I turn up the ambient light to help focusing but doesn't seem to do make much difference.

I've herd of people who have the model look into a small pen light for a moment, to contract their pupils so they get more color in the eye. I believe the larger pupil is a more sensual, but it’s all about what you’re going for…

Nov 06 15 11:05 am Link

Photographer

KModel Photography

Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand

It's good you've noticed it and are doing something about it.  Dilated pupils may only be useful for boudoir and has spoiled many photos.  If the natural light is not bright enough, I use one or more flat panel (in addition to strobes) to provide ambient light which helps in a number of ways - helps you compose and see the fine details & color in the scene, helps with focusing, helps with eyes.  The flat panel while bright, doesn't add much ambient light to the capture.

Nov 06 15 11:11 am Link

Photographer

Light and Lens Studio

Sisters, Oregon, US

So.  You want them to look like they are narcotic addicts.  (jk)

There are prescription eyedrops that constrict the pupil.  They are used in the treatment of glaucoma. 

Or you could just briefly shine a bright flashlight in the models eyes a few seconds before you are ready to pop the shutter.  That will constrict her pupils without drugs.  They will stay constricted long enough for you to get your shot. This would be the simplest, safest solution

Nov 06 15 11:22 am Link

Photographer

Phantasmal Images

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Light and Lens Studio wrote:

As opposed to cocaine/meth/benzodiazepine addicts with huge pupils... :p

Seriously though, it's been my experience that a lot of models are taking anti-anxiety medications (primarily one of the benzodiazepines) which will make the pupils larger, and may slow pupil response times. This can obviously be an issue if that's not the look you're going for. Brighter ambient lighting is the obvious answer.

Nov 06 15 01:00 pm Link

Photographer

Light and Lens Studio

Sisters, Oregon, US

Phantasmal Images wrote:
As opposed to cocaine/meth/benzodiazepine addicts with huge pupils... :p

Seriously though, it's been my experience that a lot of models are taking anti-anxiety medications (primarily one of the benzodiazepines) which will make the pupils larger, and may slow pupil response times. This can obviously be an issue if that's not the look you're going for. Brighter ambient lighting is the obvious answer.

If brighter ambient/existing light is sufficient and doesn't interfere with the end desired effect of the overall lighting, I'd sure agree.  Add the faster, more accurate focusing as a bonus.  But, if for some reason increasing the ambient lighting isn't possible or practical, then the flashlight is something to fall back on.  It takes the pupils several seconds to dilate again after they constrict from having light strike them.

Nov 06 15 01:26 pm Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

I had the same problem, and posted a question on MM, but did not get answer good answer.  I found this and bought and the problem solved.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FJ0 … ge_o03_s01

It is cheap, shine this LED onto the model, no more pupil dilation.  Someone above mentioned that you can use the pencil light shine on the model, but the pupils react so fast it is not effective at all.  Using this LED will not affect any your flash setting at all.  You can mount this LED on the same light stand as your kiy light or just mount on a separate stand.

Nov 06 15 03:59 pm Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

btw, dilated pupils is a sign of sexual arousal... not a bad thing in photos. we use to call that bed room eyes.

Nov 07 15 08:47 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

I got the hair-brained idea to shoot a model as a miner down inside a gold mine and it was uber-black down there.  The scouting showed I needed a focus light on the camera, so the property master shined his flashlight on various things to get a focus lock and fire off the speedlight on the camera - otherwise sheer blackness.

For the actual shoot, I took a SureFire U2 LED flashlight (It's military grade and built the same, but there are a lot cheaper varieties out there now too.  Now I see the U2 has dropped to half what I paid for it too!) that has an adjustable dimmer on it.  I gave it to the woman MUAH person beside me and had her shine it on the model's face to constrict her pupils as well as give me a focus lock.  I took a couple of light-stands with old Buff White Lightnings with umbrellas down there, but I had no modeling lamps as they ran off the Vagabond Mini's.  Turned out it worked very well, but there was some planning prior from the scouting of the site.

Eye results shown here:
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/141209/08/5487280aa618e.jpg

Actually, now that I think about it, a LED headlamp may also work for the same pupil constricting and focus-locking purpose for the OP as the one on her miner's helmet.  It's hard for the LED to be overpowered by a stronger flash.  Some cheap Harbor Freight thing is what they use at the mine since they do get banged up down there and rocks fall from overhead at times (Unsettling!).

Nov 07 15 09:01 am Link

Photographer

Light and Lens Studio

Sisters, Oregon, US

GRMACK wrote:
I got the hair-brained idea to shoot a model as a miner down inside a gold mine and it was uber-black down there.  The scouting showed I needed a focus light on the camera, so the property master shined his flashlight on various things to get a focus lock and fire off the speedlight on the camera - otherwise sheer blackness.

For the actual shoot, I took a SureFire U2 LED flashlight (It's military grade and built the same, but there are a lot cheaper varieties out there now too.  Now I see the U2 has dropped to half what I paid for it too!) that has an adjustable dimmer on it.  I gave it to the woman MUAH person beside me and had her shine it on the model's face to constrict her pupils as well as give me a focus lock.  I took a couple of light-stands with old Buff White Lightnings with umbrellas down there, but I had no modeling lamps as they ran off the Vagabond Mini's.  Turned out it worked very well, but there was some planning prior from the scouting of the site.

Eye results shown here:
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/141209/08/5487280aa618e.jpg

Actually, now that I think about it, a LED headlamp may also work for the same pupil constricting and focus-locking purpose for the OP as the one on her miner's helmet.  It's hard for the LED to be overpowered by a stronger flash.  Some cheap Harbor Freight thing is what they use at the mine since they do get banged up down there and rocks fall from overhead at times (Unsettling!).

Headlamp sounds like a great idea.  My LED flash lights are all tactical ones and very bright.  A more subtle lightsource should be great, and a headlamp is hands free.

Nov 07 15 09:35 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

Aside, my Samsung S6 Edge phone's LED 'flash' fires off twice:  One time for maybe either a focus-lock or possibly to constrict pupils like some older speed-lights and cameras did with their built-in preflash, and then a second flash that is tied to the camera's shutter.

I don't know if any current flash units do that old pupil-constricting pre-flash sequence anymore as Nikon seems to use that for their weird triggering CLS data stream (That sometimes works for me, but more likely not in bright sunlight.) to their other speed-lights.  I think my old Minolta film camera and their dedicated flash did the pre-flash trick to constrict pupils too back then.  I think some P&S cameras still have a pre-flash of some sort for that purpose?  Dunno, but maybe another option to find a flash that does that routine.

Nov 07 15 09:51 am Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

London, England, United Kingdom

I've switched to something similar. 3 speedlights all attached to Godox S-Type adapters so I can use my studio equipment with the speedlights.

Key light is a big 60x90cm foldable softbox
Hair light is a smaller 40x40 foldable speedlight softbox (might change this though)
Background light is a background hood.
Plus a silver reflector.

I always keep a spare faux Icelight int he case, I can always stick it on a stand if there's not enough light.

Nov 07 15 04:58 pm Link

Photographer

Duckee

Brooklyn, New York, US

I tend to just throw up a 1K hour light somewhere behind me or bounced off the ceiling.  Problem solved.

Nov 16 15 04:29 pm Link

Photographer

Photography by Riddell

Hemel Hempstead, England, United Kingdom

This is a good example of why not to use speedlights, there is no advantage asides from cheapness to be doing so.

Invest in proper studio lights and yoiu'll see a lot of differences, assuming that you know how to use them properly.

Nov 17 15 02:01 am Link

Photographer

PhotoPower

Elmsdale, Nova Scotia, Canada

Hauling an entire studio around is not practical sometimes, which is why speedlights are ideal. The poster has identified a true issue for on-the-go close-ups during interior location shoots. My easy fix is a pretty big collapsible reflector, using the white side. Obviously, not that effective for an underground mine! But that is one great shot! Interesting thread, hope to hear more on this one. (Personally, I would recreate the underground mine in the studio to get this close-up, but there were perhaps other images from the shoot that would be good to see.)

Nov 21 15 12:23 pm Link

Photographer

Randy Poe

Green Cove Springs, Florida, US

Photography by Riddell wrote:
This is a good example of why not to use speedlights, there is no advantage asides from cheapness to be doing so.

Invest in proper studio lights and yoiu'll see a lot of differences, assuming that you know how to use them properly.

There are ways to still use speedlights and do what you can to get the ambiance to help out.. I do this with mine and I admit it may not be as hot on as more expensive options but I quickly noticed a huge improvement in the eyes after placing this in some of my more often used modifiers.

http://on.aol.com/video/a-cheap-easy-mo … -517352361

Perhaps still not up to some standards but this is all speedlight.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/131066814 … ed-public/

Nov 21 15 12:33 pm Link