Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > To - Do lists

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

Whats on your to do list?
Because mine is really long, and i'm running out of things to do to procrastinate.
So tell me please what it is you are avoiding to do?

I have dishes to do, and then i need to figure out why the power steering on one of my cars is squealing, i think a worn hose is letting air in the system.
then last week i fixed an old record player i got from my folks by changing the belt, but now i think the little drive thing needs lube.
I have some old clothes to go through, and then I need to pick up mail from my P.O. Box.

If i could get all that done, it would put a small dent in my list, and make me feel productive.

Nov 15 15 01:37 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

My to do lists are long and separated in have to do, want to do, wish to do.

But one of the things I learned to do is to make a list of things done.
At times to do lists can be overwhelming, and often many great experiences of life are left out of a to do lists, but they fit perfectly into a things done list.

Nov 15 15 04:15 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Get a haircut
buy a rolling pin
fill birth control
schedule a root canal (sad)
plan Thanksgiving
Put Christmas tree up

That's just this week.

Nov 15 15 04:18 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

I went to my po box, tried to fix an old record player ...didn't work. but I fixed the power steering in one of my cars. organized some tools in my garage and paid some bills too.

now to do those dishes grrrrrrr.

Nov 15 15 04:55 pm Link

Model

Nat has a username

Oakland, California, US

MM is not a dating site tongue

I've begun to knock adulting things off one at a time. Major ones left:

-health insurance (oh the joy of having 3 versions of an acceptable legal name and never being able to complete stuff online)
-donate clothes
-email model list
-schedule at least one day off a week in the new year, because I effed myself for Nov and Dec
-get better at scheduling big errands in general (grocery shopping, laundry, etc)

Lists are the best. I have to use lists and songs to remember things/complete complex tasks. I have mastered the art of Surprise Snacks for the part time job, however; I get to work early and leave myself a coffee by the counter to be discovered when I clock in, and a snack in my coat pocket to discover when I clock out on my break. big_smile

Nov 15 15 09:17 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

i did the dishes and cleaned the kitchen sink.
the cleaner worked so well i decided to clean the bathroom shower tile
...while i was in the shower. not sure being naked in bleach was a good idea?
my hands are really clean!
can't even tell i worked on my car today.

i didnt sort through clothes i want to donate but i fixed my couch that had a board pop out of the bottom haha.
and organized all the sockets in my tool box.
productive!

Nov 15 15 09:25 pm Link

Model

Nat has a username

Oakland, California, US

I replaced my phone Thursday after my old one being broken for 2 weeks at least (couldn't hear calls, but they could hear me; I only text really so I kept procrastinating). I finally decided enough was enough when a non-texter had to pick me up to get to an out-of-the-way gig and it was the least fun game of hot-cold phone tag. That was an ordeal because they ran out of phones with keypads and it took a day to learn how to use an android. Although it autocorrected "out in a sec" to "out in a sex" which was awkward.

Nov 15 15 09:34 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

Paolo Diavolo wrote:
Whats on your to do list?
Because mine is really long, and i'm running out of things to do to procrastinate.
So tell me please what it is you are avoiding to do?

I have dishes to do, and then i need to figure out why the power steering on one of my cars is squealing, i think a worn hose is letting air in the system.
then last week i fixed an old record player i got from my folks by changing the belt, but now i think the little drive thing needs lube.
I have some old clothes to go through, and then I need to pick up mail from my P.O. Box.

If i could get all that done, it would put a small dent in my list, and make me feel productive.

I feel your pain.

Paolo Diavolo wrote:
i did the dishes and cleaned the kitchen sink.
the cleaner worked so well i decided to clean the bathroom shower tile
...while i was in the shower. not sure being naked in bleach was a good idea?
my hands are really clean!
can't even tell i worked on my car today.

i didnt sort through clothes i want to donate but i fixed my couch that had a board pop out of the bottom haha.
and organized all the sockets in my tool box.
productive!

Your behavior sounds like my behavior.

The problem is, is that all those accomplishments don't even scratch the surface of the more pressing list of things to do.

Organized sockets, a clean bathroom and clean hands feels good, doesn't it?

There must be some kind of moral of the story here. Something about the journey rather than the destination?

Nov 15 15 11:55 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

le chat dort wrote:
I replaced my phone....

wait?! youre telling me you have a smart phone now?
so i can send you pictures?

Nov 16 15 12:26 am Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

Click Hamilton wrote:
Your behavior sounds like my behavior.

The problem is, is that all those accomplishments don't even scratch the surface of the more pressing list of things to do.

THIS!!!!

except my list of more important things likely require less responsibility than your list of more important things.

Click Hamilton wrote:
There must be some kind of moral of the story here. Something about the journey rather than the destination?

hmm yes, like winning battles to win a war, or something? i dunno. but it makes my neurotic brain at peace for a while.

now, if you'll excuse me im going to go make sure the three remote controls for my TV  are parallel and equally spaced and at a right angle to the edge of my coffee table before i go to bed.

Nov 16 15 12:30 am Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

Paolo Diavolo wrote:
now, if you'll excuse me im going to go make sure the three remote controls for my TV  are parallel and equally spaced and at a right angle to the edge of my coffee table before i go to bed.

Do you put your books on the shelf in descending size order? Just curious. Perhaps books that you never read?

It might be a combination of ADHD brain chemicals mixed with your passion and creativity of being an artist, non-linear imagination, a predisposition toward brainstorming, thought percolation, and tendencies toward clutter, hoarding and procrastination.

So many things, if not everything is useful as materials for making something else of higher value, right? But if we don't organize them then we don't think about them or can't find them, then we can't apply them. Therefore, boxes of these things tend to accumulate in random piles that fill spaces (table tops and hallways?) that might otherwise be more useful as open work space. This is in sharp contrast to the books on the bookshelf organized in descending size order.

Write down the important things on your list of things to do before you forget. Organize the more important things to do with stars, or a left and right column. Lining up your remote controls clears the brain for the more important work yet to be done.

I use a steno pad with a spring binder along the top. It's pale green with a red line down the middle for two lists. I also divide the left and right sides of the vertical red line with horizontal lines. On one cover the title is "Important Shit" ... then I can flip it over and make lists from the other side that is simply titled "Shit." Important Shit gets the front cover and moves toward the back. Ordinary Shit starts from the back cover and moves forward.

I prefer 6"x9" Gregg ruled pads with 80 pages per pad that come in 12-packs
http://www.amazon.com/OfficeMax-Steno-N … steno+pads

I sometimes use a favorite ink pen with a medium roller tip that flows nicely in black ink, but I often prefer a soft, dark #2 pencil that's freshly sharpened with small battery operated portable pencil sharpener (4 AA batteries)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006H … ge_o00_s00

Soft lead (meaning graphite) pencils are better for drawings and sketches. (Have you ever wondered how they get that nice clean hole drilled through such a small and delicate piece of wood filled so perfectly with an unbroken rod of graphite exactly down the middle? I also wonder what kind of wood they use that grinds down so smooth and evenly, and the perfect paint job applied in a way that covers perfectly yet doesn't soak into the wood. Pencils are quite beautiful.)

If my design and list ideas are sketch-heavy or in need of lines and dimensions, I shift to a gum top quadrille Pad, 8.5 x 11 Inches, 15 Pound Stock, 50 sheets per pad, 6 pads per pack, white paper with pale blue lines.
http://www.amazon.com/Quadrille-Inches- … paper+pads

On some days, the Universe is in order.

PS - do you have a standardized custom template set up in MS Word with proper fonts, type sizes and bullet indentations for organizing your favorite cooking recipes? Just curious.

Don't forget to clean the grout lines of the ceramic tiles behind the toilet with an old tooth brush and bleach. Cleanliness is next to Godliness.

Nov 16 15 07:50 am Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

ummmmm... ask my wife?

Nov 16 15 08:35 am Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

Click Hamilton wrote:
Do you put your books on the shelf in descending size order? Just curious. Perhaps books that you never read?

yes! and yes! they're mostly old band books and guitar tab books from the late 90s

Nov 17 15 01:19 pm Link