Forums > Model Colloquy > Maybe a "not interested"

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

"Hi,
Should you be interested in collaborating in a photo shoot,
could you give me an idea of your hourly fees?
I am located on Manhattan West Side, 67th St and Amsterdam Ave
Thank  you,
JP"

(Read and ignored)

At least a "not interested" would be "polite"......
Or over booked or, ask for above average fees, and any white lies, etc.....
I understand this model would rather collaborate with another photographer, fine.
But what is the point of one posting on MM and ignoring a simple offer?
This is not a rant but just asking for opinions from MM models

Nov 25 15 03:31 pm Link

Model

Victoria Elle

New York, New York, US

IMAGINERIES wrote:
"Hi,
Thank  you,
JP"

(Read and ignored)

I understand this model would rather collaborate with another photographer, fine.

The way you phrased your question literally implies that they should only reply if interested (with rates), and are otherwise free not to reply at all.

Nov 25 15 03:54 pm Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

Good point! I should rephrase my inquiry accordingly.

Nov 25 15 04:11 pm Link

Model

CharlieMW

Dallas, Texas, US

Its a situation that cuts both ways. I endeavor to answer every inquiry as soon as possible and (maybe naively) expect the same. If I take the time to compose a message to a prospective employer/photographer about a shoot, then I would expect a "thanks, but no thanks" at a minimum too. Too many people use the excuse "there are way too many messages for me to reply to everyone". That's what form letters are for. At least both parties have the knowledge that the message was received.

Nov 25 15 04:14 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

I think it depends upon one's point of view - and it goes both ways (both photographers, models, team).
Hobbyists are much more likely to see the the prelude to shooting as a personal process much like social interaction. Where professionals are more apt to see it as staffing. So there will likely be different expectations. If the two parties are each coming from one of the two perspectives, expectations will be different. One shouldn't be offended.

Nov 25 15 04:56 pm Link

Photographer

Toto Photo

Belmont, California, US

IMAGINERIES wrote:

I'm not sure that is going to solve it, but it couldn't hurt.

Nov 25 15 04:59 pm Link

Model

Nat has a username

Oakland, California, US

Replying "not interested" can come off as terse or offensive to many, or can be met with rude rebuttals from the initial messenger.

Including a line towards the end phrased similarly to "if you could reply whether you are interested or not please let me know", that would be good, however don't expect a reply and save yourself a headache.

Nov 25 15 05:32 pm Link

Photographer

Pictures of Life

Spokane, Washington, US

IMAGINERIES wrote:
"Hi,
Thank  you,
JP"

(Read and ignored)

#1 Communicate clearly and concisely. 
#2 Your poorly communicated complaint seems to be that you expect everyone to respond to your cold calls.  Your expectations are out of line.  If you replied to their Casting Call, yeah, a response seems reasonable.  No.  No one owes you a response to your unsolicited offer.  And, duh, you don't want responses from people who are not interested in working with you.  You only want to spend time on the people who do want to work with you.
#3 You want people to lie to you so you don't feel ignored?  Is that why you have a camera?  Get a puppy so you feel needed and get all the attention that you want. 
#4 "polite" ???  You're judging others about not being polite ? ? ?  How about rude as F#*& expecting others to meet your expectations when they never invited you. They ARE being polite by not wasting your time.

Nov 25 15 08:04 pm Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

Pictures of Life wrote:

#1 Communicate clearly and concisely. 
#2 Your poorly communicated complaint seems to be that you expect everyone to respond to your cold calls.  Your expectations are out of line.  If you replied to their Casting Call, yeah, a response seems reasonable.  No.  No one owes you a response to your unsolicited offer.  And, duh, you don't want responses from people who are not interested in working with you.  You only want to spend time on the people who do want to work with you.
#3 You want people to lie to you so you don't feel ignored?  Is that why you have a camera?  Get a puppy so you feel needed and get all the attention that you want. 
#4 "polite" ???  You're judging others about not being polite ? ? ?  How about rude as F#*& expecting others to meet your expectations when they never invited you. They ARE being polite by not wasting your time.

Tank you for your useless and condescending reply. I was not aware that you are modeling ( this inquiry was to models)
I stupidly assume that when a model post on MM, he/she is looking for a gig most often paid (as this is the case)
In the business world, we always reply to a potential client.. Maybe in the photographic world it is not the case...
If photography is your business, and ignoring a potential customer is expected..so be it.

Nov 25 15 08:51 pm Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

le chat dort wrote:
Replying "not interested" can come off as terse or offensive to many, or can be met with rude rebuttals from the initial messenger.

Including a line towards the end phrased similarly to "if you could reply whether you are interested or not please let me know", that would be good, however don't expect a reply and save yourself a headache.

Far from being a headache...Wonder why a MM model would post for paid work and not be interested in making a couple of hundred $.....for a couple of hours, providing the travel time makes sense.

Nov 25 15 09:03 pm Link

Photographer

Light and Lens Studio

Sisters, Oregon, US

IMAGINERIES wrote:
"Hi,
Thank  you,
JP"

(Read and ignored)

Maybe your expectations are unrealistic.

And your complaint that your post was directed only at models was not communicated at all in your OP.    As one commentator has suggested, you definitely need to work on your communication skills.

Nov 25 15 09:17 pm Link

Model

Nat has a username

Oakland, California, US

IMAGINERIES wrote:

Far from being a headache...Wonder why a MM model would post for paid work and not be interested in making a couple of hundred $.....for a couple of hours, providing the travel time makes sense.

Maybe it's not a reasonable offer to everyone, or they simply don't have the time/energy to reply to anything that isn't going to lead to working together.

I never expect a reply from people I cold call, and wouldn't want one if it was a no thanks. I'd much rather focus my energy on the people that say yes.

Nov 25 15 09:30 pm Link

Photographer

Springfield Fotografiya

Springfield, Missouri, US

Light and Lens Studio wrote:

Maybe your expectations are unrealistic.

And your complaint that your post was directed only at models was not communicated at all in your OP.    As one commentator has suggested, you definitely need to work on your communication skills.

I hope everyone has a happy Thanksgiving.  But I can't help but find it amusing that someone is being lectured about the need to work on his communication skills because his "complaint that your post was directed only at models was not communicated at all in your OP" when the OP clearly stated "just asking for opinions from MM models."  I don't know how much more clearly he could have stated it.  Maybe he should have put it in all caps, bold print and underlined it?

Regarding the rest of the subject, I'm not a MM model so I won't comment either way about his OP.

Nov 25 15 09:36 pm Link

Photographer

Light and Lens Studio

Sisters, Oregon, US

Springfield Fotografiya wrote:

I hope everyone has a happy Thanksgiving.  But I can't help but find it amusing that someone is being lectured about the need to work on his communication skills because his "complaint that your post was directed only at models was not communicated at all in your OP" when the OP clearly stated "just asking for opinions from MM models."  I don't know how much more clearly he could have stated it.  Maybe he should have put it in all caps, bold print and underlined it?

Regarding the rest of the subject, I'm not a MM model so I won't comment either way about his OP.

Oops.  Missed that line in the OP.

Nov 25 15 10:00 pm Link

Photographer

Pictures of Life

Spokane, Washington, US

IMAGINERIES wrote:
Tank you for your useless and condescending reply. I was not aware that you are modeling ( this inquiry was to models)
I stupidly assume that when a model post on MM, he/she is looking for a gig most often paid (as this is the case)
In the business world, we always reply to a potential client.. Maybe in the photographic world it is not the case...
If photography is your business, and ignoring a potential customer is expected..so be it.

My response wasn't useless, it got your attention; and I clearly stated my points, which have been stated by several others in this thread.  Yes it was a bit on the rude side, which was intentional, and addresses the core issue, your unrealistic expectations.  As has been said may times, you need a thick skin in this business.  Your expectation that everyone behaves like they are at a tea party waiting for the Queen to arrive is going to repeatedly set you up for disappointment.  I suggest that you change your expectations, and broaden your view.  You'll be disappointed a lot less.
    The Model Collogy forum is about modeling.  Everyone who is interested in modeling reads and responds.  This community norm has been repeated many times.  Again, a learning point for you, please adapt to the realities of this site.  This site will not adapt to your expectations.
      Regardless of what business you are in, not everyone is a potential customer.  The people who do not respond to you apparently do not view you as a potential customer.  You can spend all day being upset about that, or you can move on to work with someone who does view you as a potential customer.  Obviously it's your choice as to how you  invest your time to gain whatever reward you are striving for.  Best Wishes.

Nov 26 15 06:13 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

I certainly can understand your frustration with models lack of response. However the genre you work in can create a few problems for you as it does for me. Yes I am primarily a fine art nude photographer like your self.

I also will not critique your work though I will say that I am impressed with your unique eye and style.

And this may be a part of your problem with some models.  They may be intimidated by your work and feel they can not shoot in that style. Or they feel that your style does not fit with the work they see themselves doing.  I can totally understand that.

True art models are very hard to find on MM and it seems their numbers dwindle each year.  This makes it even more dificult to find models who will respond.

Don't lose heart, when you deal with a generation ( sweeping generalization here) that won't pick up a phone and wait days to text it's not a big jump to assume they won't be polite and respond to s legitimate offer, even just to say no thank you.

Nov 26 15 08:11 pm Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

London, England, United Kingdom

Blame all the stroppy divas (Aka photographers) who get offended when a model says "not interested".
Some people expect others to fall over them if they throw a few quid at them.

Nov 27 15 12:39 am Link

Photographer

Revenge Photography

Horsham, Victoria, Australia

Perhaps being more specific will help.

Rates usually depend on what, where, when and duration. So if you have something specific in mind, include details in the initial message. Some people are busy and don't want to play 20 questions to find out about a shoot.

Nov 27 15 07:06 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

IMAGINERIES wrote:
"Hi,
Thank  you,
JP"

Victoria Elle wrote:
The way you phrased your question literally implies that they should only reply if interested (with rates), and are otherwise free not to reply at all.

That & the way I read, you only wanted them to reply IF they were interested, not if they were uninterested.

Nov 27 15 08:32 am Link

Photographer

Todd Meredith

Fayetteville, North Carolina, US

Regardless of how the email sent to the model was phrased (other than something crude), it would have taken two minutes to send a simple reply saying thanks but no thanks, get back with me on....  If you put on your profile you're looking for paid work and someone sends you an offer, the courteous thing to do would be to reply.  I've heard the same issue brought up about photographers.  It's simple, if you're not really looking to shoot, don't say you are or at least make an effort to communicate with the people asking or offering services/employment. 

Even if I have no interest in shooting a job, I wil at least get back with the customer and explain why I can't provide them what they desire.  It's called treating people with respect, just as each and every one of us expects.

OP, people are just rude today.  Chalk it up to a learning experience and move on.  Never lose your desire to treat others better than you expect them to treat you and you'll go far.  Many times I've smiled and ignored some idiot at a wedding or whatever shoot I was making money at because it was not worth the effort to confront that person.  The same goes your the rude model who was just too busy to thank you for your offer and say no thanks.

Best wishes to you in all you do.

Nov 27 15 08:49 am Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Don't worry about it. You have so many photos that she may have missed some really good moments. These are all 18+ https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/33670683
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/38756837

Nov 27 15 09:06 am Link

Model

Alex NW

Portland, Oregon, US

I can't speak for anyone other than myself but I feel your pain OP.   A simple no if not interested would be polite and preferred but communication doesn't seem to be an industry standard.

Nov 27 15 09:29 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

IMAGINERIES wrote:

This kind of thread pops up often.  In my opinion...
...  Silence means "not interested",
...  It is unrealistic to expect replies from people who are not interested,
...  It is impolite of you to expect uninterested people to respond to every offer you make.
...  Getting butt-hurt or starting yet another thread isn't going to change anything.
...  There must be something more constructive that you can do with your time.

Sorry if I sound unsympathetic, but I'm unsympathetic.  My suggestions:
...  Improve your offer,
...  Improve your approach,
...  Make multiple offers,
...  Finish editing that backlog of images,
...  Get around to creating your own website,
...  Network with local models & photographers & stylists.

Good luck.

Nov 27 15 10:00 am Link

Photographer

MN Photography

Chicago, Illinois, US

I usually don't answer an unsolicited request if I'm not interested.  I seriously don't think most people really want that.  I also assume that most models are sending the same inquiry to dozens of other photographers, so getting an inbox full of not interested replies would seem to be an inconvenience.

But, maybe just as a social experiment, I recently sent a model a polite "not interested" reply.  After I ignored the first message, she sent a second message asking if I saw the first message, so I did answer with a polite "no thanks".  The result was a third message to me telling me what a mistake I'm making and then two more messages after that, this time from her boyfriend who has a photographer account, telling me what a great model she is and that I'm missing an opportunity.  Then after a few weeks, she sent another message.  I only answered once in total.  This confirms to me that no response is the best "not interested" response.

Nov 27 15 10:08 am Link

Photographer

HO Photo

IMAGINERIES wrote:

Disagree. You should recalibrate your expectations. Nobody owes you a reply, whether that's a "white lie" you expect them to devise for your benefit, or some other message giving you the brush off. The message has been properly received on your end, has it not? Move on with life, it's really not a big deal.

Nov 27 15 11:02 pm Link

Photographer

Iktan

New York, New York, US

Revenge Photography wrote:
Perhaps being more specific will help.

Rates usually depend on what, where, when and duration. So if you have something specific in mind, include details in the initial message. Some people are busy and don't want to play 20 questions to find out about a shoot.

What he said ^^^

My typical message says. Yes I always use the same.

Hey! Love your port!! I was wondering if you'd be willing to work with me. It is in studio and it would only take 3 hours of your time, I have a mua, hair stylist and if needed a wardrobe stylist. Payout is $$$ and all you gotta do is show up! smile

Here is concept

Let me know smile.

Just get to the point and make an offer!

Nov 27 15 11:41 pm Link

Model

Ereka Marcelino

Kihei, Hawaii, US

Since this is in the model forum...I will interrupt the photography replies...

I don't find it professional to just not reply. I get busy as hell. But every single email gets a reply, and professionally stated. Even if it's "I don't see own styles fitting but thank you for taking the time to email me", or "I am truly just accepting paid shoots", or "I will let you know when I am in your area and thank you for the email", etc.

Don't be fake, don't be shady, but always reply. Never burn a bridge....

Nov 28 15 12:25 am Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Ereka Marcelino wrote:
Since this is in the model forum...I will interrupt the photography replies...

I don't find it professional to just not reply. I get busy as hell. But every single email gets a reply, and professionally stated. Even if it's "I don't see own styles fitting but thank you for taking the time to email me", or "I am truly just accepting paid shoots", or "I will let you know when I am in your area and thank you for the email", etc.

Erika is absolutely right. She is a consummate professional

Nov 28 15 01:04 am Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

LA StarShooter wrote:
Don't worry about it. You have so many photos that she may have missed some really good moments. These are all 18+ https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/33670683
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/38756837

What is your intention by this post.  Seems a bit snarky to me... And a bit of a veiled critique

Nov 28 15 01:06 am Link

Photographer

Watika Lemon

Burlington, Ontario, Canada

In the entire time I've been shooting, after well over a hundred messages; only two people have ever responded to say 'no.'  The rest of the models who don't want to work with me just ignore me.

But honestly, I'm fine with that.  All that matters is that they aren't interested.  I don't need to hear their reasons why; nor do I need a lie to make me feel better.

And I don't respond every time a model asks to work with me either.

Nov 28 15 08:17 am Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

No response is a response, replying opens a dialog I am not interested in having. I don't want to be asked "why not?", I don't want to be told to fuck off and they never liked me anyway, I don't want to have further interaction.

Assume the answer is no until it's changed to a yes, works out better that way and allows you to move on right away to other prospects instead of sitting on your hands waiting on replies that aren't coming. When one does come it's a pleasant surprise.

Nov 28 15 04:04 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

IMAGINERIES wrote:
(Read and ignored)

Looknsee Photography wrote:
This kind of thread pops up often.  In my opinion...
...  Silence means "not interested",
...  It is unrealistic to expect replies from people who are not interested,
...  It is impolite of you to expect uninterested people to respond to every offer you make.
...  Getting butt-hurt or starting yet another thread isn't going to change anything.
...  There must be something more constructive that you can do with your time.

Sorry if I sound unsympathetic, but I'm unsympathetic.  My suggestions:
...  Improve your offer,
...  Improve your approach,
...  Make multiple offers,
...  Finish editing that backlog of images,
...  Get around to creating your own website,
...  Network with local models & photographers & stylists.

Good luck.

HEY!!!  I posted this two days ago, and you ignored it.  Shouldn't you at least post a "not interested" reply?  Why are you so impolite?  tongue

Nov 29 15 08:39 am Link

Photographer

FlirtynFun Photography

Houston, Texas, US

I might offer a suggestion. OP, I realize that I am not a model, however with over 20 years of photography under my belt, I feel well qualified to offer advice.
First, from your profile, it says you're close to 73. Unfortunately, the world is not the same as when you and I were younger. I can wish all I want for models to return emails in a timely manner, to accept phone calls to validate a concept or shoot, to show up on time and to reply "no" when I ask if they're available at a specific rate.
Unfortunately that's not the reality we live in. No answer IS an answer. Many times even IF you could afford their rates, the genre you shoot may not be to their liking, they may be buried with other work, they may just be a hobbyist etc.
I use other methods besides MM to solicit models for work. If a model best communicates on FaceBook, then maybe opening a business account there will help.
Your work is not at the level of many of the GWC's around here but you'll just have to realize that like in any sort of sales, even if you walked onto a car dealership with $100 bills falling out of your pockets, many times you'll be ignored by sales people.

That being said, there ARE models who are stellar to work with here and return emails promptly for valid gigs...seek THEM out.

Nov 29 15 09:10 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

IMAGINERIES wrote:

You may not be among them but keep in mind MANY people on both sides of the camera who make a request to work with someone & then get rejected, use it as an opportunity to start a hissy fit - further inquires why they're being rejected - accusations that the respondent is to good for the askee - etc - etc - etc. By no-replying to an assignment they're not interested in, saves them that aggravation.

Nov 29 15 09:28 am Link

Photographer

Carle Photography

Oakland, California, US

Ereka Marcelino wrote:

Bridges made of loose twigs are not even worth building much less burning later on.
When you reach a certain point in business you have several concrete & steel bridges in place.

Answering each & every single email/message that I am sent is a waste of my time, even if it has a "job" attached to it.

Job offers that are incomplete are ranked just above spam....

I'm busy with job offers that are complete concise, organised and of course all my current projects.

Nov 30 15 01:54 pm Link