Forums > Model Colloquy > Model possibly pricing herself out of market

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Run Forest RUN !!!
https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-kTaUiFk0Pb4/UijPIQtdXGI/AAAAAAAAjdE/9qrGZODoa90/s640/Forrest_Gump_running_alabama_jenny-2556.jpg

Dec 12 15 01:26 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Tiffany_B

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Whatever she wants is entirely hers to determine, what she may ultimately get is something different but it's not your job to educate her on what you consider to be problematic. I think at one point or another we've all come across a portfolio like this where the model has an interesting look but the images are subpar in our opinion. The thing is though, unless the shots are clearly selfies, she could be being paid the rate she's asking for her work or she could be doing what a photographer I used to know did and setting her rates based on whether or not she actually wants to work with a prospective client with a higher number indicating a lowered interest...

You've attempted to negotiate with her, that's all you really should do.

Dec 12 15 05:51 am Link

Photographer

KungPaoChic

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

Shawn Wright Photo wrote:
It surprised me and it may surprise some of you, but she's willing to work with me. However, her terms are a bit restrictive. 40 minute shoots, and it has to be part of a series of at least 8, spaced out by a couple of months between shoots. I'm not really keen on doing such a long series over a long time frame with the same model, especially since I've never before worked with her. Any thoughts?

crack is wack yo
Just say no

Dec 12 15 07:53 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

It surprised me and it may surprise some of you, but she's willing to work with me. However, her terms are a bit restrictive. 40 minute shoots, and it has to be part of a series of at least 8, spaced out by a couple of months between shoots. I'm not really keen on doing such a long series over a long time frame with the same model, especially since I've never before worked with her. Any thoughts?

I would never agree to those terms!

Dec 12 15 08:07 am Link

Photographer

Greg Kolack

Elmhurst, Illinois, US

Makes no sense at all.

What was her reasoning for this strange timeline?

Is modeling so exhausting she needs a 2 months rest period for every 40 minutes of work?

Dec 12 15 08:09 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Tiffany_B

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Based on this she's not willing to work with you, what she's willing to do is grace you with her presence for less than an hour at a time over the course of a year or more based on her terms (and likely she's hoping that you'll say no to such a ridiculous request and if you say yes know that these are just the first of many restrictions).

My thought is this: find another model. Yes, her look interested you initially BUT you also said her port wasn't that great and that her rates were too high so I'm not entirely sure why you pursued it in the first place...

Dec 12 15 09:46 am Link

Photographer

Derek Ridgers

London, England, United Kingdom

This is a very odd stipulation. 

Either she is just wanting to put you off by being unnecessarily difficult or she has some kind of singular creative approach which could be the opportunity to do something different.

If it’s the latter, I would be intrigued and, if I could think of something that takes full advantage of this, I’d go for it.

Dec 12 15 11:08 am Link

Photographer

Todd Meredith

Fayetteville, North Carolina, US

Tiffany_B wrote:

Based on this she's not willing to work with you, what she's willing to do is grace you with her presence for less than an hour at a time over the course of a year or more based on her terms (and likely she's hoping that you'll say no to such a ridiculous request and if you say yes know that these are just the first of many restrictions).

My thought is this: find another model. Yes, her look interested you initially BUT you also said her port wasn't that great and that her rates were too high so I'm not entirely sure why you pursued it in the first place...

Tiffany,
I agree with your message to the OP.  She's trying to use him as a long term ATM for the times when she's available and low on pocket cash.

Dec 12 15 12:50 pm Link

Photographer

MN Photography

Chicago, Illinois, US

That's completely loony.  Does she also want to be paid in advance for this long term relationship? 

There aren't other models in your area?

Dec 12 15 10:43 pm Link

Photographer

Wheeling Tog

Wheeling, West Virginia, US

OP...People are free to charge what they like. Just as you are free to offer what you can afford.

Dec 13 15 04:51 am Link

Photographer

Shawn Wright Photo

Niagara Falls, New York, US

Greg Kolack wrote:
Makes no sense at all.

What was her reasoning for this strange timeline?

Is modeling so exhausting she needs a 2 months rest period for every 40 minutes of work?

This was her message verbatim.

"I understand; everyone's budget is difficult around the holidays!!  At that rate we could do a photoseries of at least 8 shoots over the next year; I usually space 6-8 weeks apart.  At such a low rate I can do 40min sessions, still plenty of time for great shots.  I prefer themes to change each shoot in the series for variety; open to ideas for themes & genres as well!!  I will be doing a Holiday shoot with another photographer very soon & I still have availability for this year but if you would prefer to start next year let me know how you would like to schedule & we can set something up smile"

MN Photography wrote:
That's completely loony.  Does she also want to be paid in advance for this long term relationship? 

There aren't other models in your area?

There ARE other models in my area, and I have no trouble getting shoots on my terms.

Dec 13 15 11:59 am Link

Photographer

Greg Kolack

Elmhurst, Illinois, US

"I understand; everyone's budget is difficult around the holidays!!  At that rate we could do a photoseries of at least 8 shoots over the next year; I usually space 6-8 weeks apart.  At such a low rate I can do 40min sessions, still plenty of time for great shots.  I prefer themes to change each shoot in the series for variety; open to ideas for themes & genres as well!!  I will be doing a Holiday shoot with another photographer very soon & I still have availability for this year but if you would prefer to start next year let me know how you would like to schedule & we can set something up smile"

I must say, in 10 years here on MM, I've seen some pretty bizarre and incomprehensible demands, but that one is pretty high on the list.

Dec 13 15 12:16 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Question to the OP
After this insane reply are you finally going to walk away from this model ?

Dec 13 15 12:54 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Tiffany_B

Atlanta, Georgia, US

There ARE other models in my area, and I have no trouble getting shoots on my terms.

Then why are you even entertaining this? If you have other models in your area who are willing to work on your terms then why are you going through the back in forth with this particular model?

Dec 13 15 01:19 pm Link

Photographer

Shawn Wright Photo

Niagara Falls, New York, US

Tiffany_B wrote:

Then why are you even entertaining this? If you have other models in your area who are willing to work on your terms then why are you going through the back in forth with this particular model?

Thanks everyone. I was already planning to pass on this after that response from her, but I just wanted some validation that it's the right decision.

I posted that two days ago.

Dec 13 15 01:41 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

So 40/60 x $25 = $16.67 per session?

Dec 13 15 04:36 pm Link