Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Why is Oil so cheap?

Photographer

SAND DIAL

Santa Monica, California, US

So much for 'peak oil' or 'no oil' anytime soon.

Dec 20 15 01:03 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

A few factors.

First, world demand is down.  While China is the largest emerging market for oil and energy, their economy is in a recession and their ramping demand has slowed as well.  Second, America, the largest consumer of oil by a factor of 2, has been using far more natural gas than ever as a result of successful fracking methods domestically.  So our demand for oil is way down compared to past years.  Third, OPEC is generally responsible for setting global oil prices by recommending that oil rich countries limit their production to keep demand high and prices stable.  Saudi Arabia and by proxy, the surrounding countries, have chose to disregard OPEC's recommendations and continue to export record volumes of oil in order to keep their GDPs healthy.  And then finally, the embargo on Iran is being lifted after this nuclear deal we just passed, so there will be a further glut of oil pushed into the global market.

Now, there's both good and bad with these low oil prices.  The good is lower gas prices.  It's also good that ISIS, who is getting hundreds of millions of dollars of funding by selling oil on the black market, can't sell it for nearly as much as if oil was more valuable.  The bad is that states who were doing very well through the recession when oil prices were through the roof, are now struggling as energy companies are laying off workers and trying to maintain profitability through this dip in prices.  There's more bad, as countries like Venezuela and other South American countries who rely heavily on their oil exports are finding their economies in a freefall. 

But for now, things are ok.  We all love $1.75 gas prices, but the firesale oil prices aren't globally sustainable.  It's really up to OPEC to throttle down production to try to stabilize pricing.  Currently, it's right at $35/barrel, about half that of the start of 2015.  There's speculation that it could bottom out at $25/barrel before the end of its slump.  The 1 year speculation is $39/barrel, which isn't much better than $35, except to the average American trying to fill their tank.

Disclosure:  These observations are largely my opinion, based on some of the data I could find and reports I've read.

Dec 20 15 02:23 pm Link

Photographer

SAND DIAL

Is there 'peak oil?'

Dec 20 15 02:44 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

SAND DIAL wrote:
Is there 'peak oil?'

"Peak oil" is a concept that was developed on the assumption that oil would continue to be extracted from the same geological formations and same technology as had been used throughout the twentieth century. 

Once fracking arrived, peak oil became an irrelevant concept.

Dec 20 15 03:01 pm Link

Photographer

SPV Photo

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Why is oil so cheap? There's a lot of it right now.

Dec 20 15 03:09 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Organizations like OPEC used to control the production of oil to regulate supply and demand, and keep prices up. Several large oil producing nations are no longer regulated because the oil fields are no longer in government control - Lybia, Syria and Iraq. Other nations are afraid of being over priced in the market, so they increased supply to maintain market. Finally, the US has encouraged the low oil prices in part to punish Russia for the annexation of Crimea and the Ukraine war. Cheap oil hurts the Russian economy.

It likely won't last. Enjoy it while you've got it.

Dec 20 15 03:27 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

Hydrocarbon lakes on Titan
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lakes_of_Titan
"It has been estimated that the visible lakes and seas of Titan contain about 300 times the volume of Earth's proven oil reserves"

The existence of lakes on Titan should be all the proof needed that dead dinosaurs are not necessary for oil formation.

Abiotic oil
http://www.viewzone.com/abioticoilx.html

On price
Multiple factors -- deep oil is more common (and obtainable) than previously believed
Fracking and deep drilling can recover it at a marketable price
KSA, to maintain market share is pumping to flood the market and kill fracked oil and tar sands
Simultaneously KSA is running a war and needs cash, a further incentive to pump
Venezuela needs cash - an incentive to pump
Russia needs cash - an incentive to pump
Iran is back in the game - some if their inland fields can produce at $2 per barrel - almost free
The global economy is in recession
Supply exeeds demand

Dec 20 15 03:29 pm Link

Photographer

Llobet Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Good Egg Productions wrote:
A few factors.

First, world demand is down.  While China is the largest emerging market for oil and energy, their economy is in a recession and their ramping demand has slowed as well.  Second, America, the largest consumer of oil by a factor of 2, has been using far more natural gas than ever as a result of successful fracking methods domestically.  So our demand for oil is way down compared to past years.  Third, OPEC is generally responsible for setting global oil prices by recommending that oil rich countries limit their production to keep demand high and prices stable.  Saudi Arabia and by proxy, the surrounding countries, have chose to disregard OPEC's recommendations and continue to export record volumes of oil in order to keep their GDPs healthy.  And then finally, the embargo on Iran is being lifted after this nuclear deal we just passed, so there will be a further glut of oil pushed into the global market.

Now, there's both good and bad with these low oil prices.  The good is lower gas prices.  It's also good that ISIS, who is getting hundreds of millions of dollars of funding by selling oil on the black market, can't sell it for nearly as much as if oil was more valuable.  The bad is that states who were doing very well through the recession when oil prices were through the roof, are now struggling as energy companies are laying off workers and trying to maintain profitability through this dip in prices.  There's more bad, as countries like Venezuela and other South American countries who rely heavily on their oil exports are finding their economies in a freefall. 

But for now, things are ok.  We all love $1.75 gas prices, but the firesale oil prices aren't globally sustainable.  It's really up to OPEC to throttle down production to try to stabilize pricing.  Currently, it's right at $35/barrel, about half that of the start of 2015.  There's speculation that it could bottom out at $25/barrel before the end of its slump.  The 1 year speculation is $39/barrel, which isn't much better than $35, except to the average American trying to fill their tank.

Disclosure:  These observations are largely my opinion, based on some of the data I could find and reports I've read.

^ This is pretty much the whole thing right here.
And yes, I've read about abiotic oil too.  It seems like a very convincing argument to me.

Dec 20 15 04:01 pm Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Inventories tell the whole story.  Well part of it anyway.  Having said that, I've been buying Oil ETF's and some off shore drillers for long term holds.  OIL and USO... etf's.  Buy when there is blood in the streets, or in this case.  Crude.

https://www.keepsakephotography.us/crudeoil.jpg

Dec 20 15 04:13 pm Link

Photographer

R.EYE.R

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

Uncle Obama is trying to cripple Russian export just like Reagan did in 1987.

Dec 20 15 05:21 pm Link

Photographer

Managing Light

Salem, Virginia, US

R.EYE.R wrote:

Plus Venezuela and Iran.

Dec 20 15 05:26 pm Link

Photographer

R.EYE.R

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

Managing Light wrote:

Plus Venezuela and Iran.

Very much so.

Dec 20 15 05:29 pm Link

Photographer

Sobe

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Because a republican is not president,yet.

Dec 20 15 05:36 pm Link

Photographer

rxz

Glen Ellyn, Illinois, US

A few factors.

Yep.  Market conditions with supply and demand determine commodity pricing.  The wild cards are natural disasters and wars. 

Although Saudi Arabia, Russia, Venezuela, Nigeria, etc would like the price per barrel over $80 for their own economies.

And for the new players in the US oil production, they were also counting on 80+/barrel to make money.  I believe their greed overtook market logic.  For them some bankruptcies and buy outs will result.  Those with better finances and cash reserves will cap wells until the supply drops or demand goes up.

Dec 20 15 07:24 pm Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Los Angeles, California, US

Well Prince Alwaleed bin Talal of Saudi, has said we will never see 100 dollars a barrel of oil...ever again.  Kids..the oil supply has what? 30 more years if that. Plus, The United States does not depend on others as much.

Dec 20 15 07:48 pm Link

Photographer

Photos by DeanR

Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada

In addition to what Good Egg wrote, he OPEC countries want to stop new production and screw up existing projects like the northern Alberta oil sands.
The Can$ is taking a huge beating now because of this.

Dec 20 15 08:53 pm Link

Photographer

SAND DIAL

Cover ready wrote:
Because a republican is not president,yet.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news … /index.htm

Dec 20 15 09:01 pm Link

Photographer

SAND DIAL

Photos by DeanR wrote:
In addition to what Good Egg wrote, he OPEC countries want to stop new production and screw up existing projects like the northern Alberta oil sands.
The Can$ is taking a huge beating now because of this.

stop new production in Canada? Where?

Dec 20 15 09:02 pm Link

Photographer

SAND DIAL

R.EYE.R wrote:

How does BHO control oil prices?

Dec 20 15 09:03 pm Link

Photographer

R.EYE.R

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

SAND DIAL wrote:

How does BHO control oil prices?

If you are wondering about mechanics of decision and order chain - I believe you would be in a better position of knowing it than me.
I believe it involves meetings, advise from relevant members of staff followed by order and or "go ahead" sign.

If you are wondering about role of USA in global politics, it is rather obvious that not a single country in the world could make a shifting decision without the approval of USA unless they want sanctions imposed.

Dec 20 15 09:17 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

SAND DIAL wrote:
Why is Oil so cheap?

Good question.

Why did the cost of gas in California not fall by the same amount? It has not been so long since prices dropped below $4/gallon.

When monopolies, price fixing and knee-jerk new taxes are layered on to sop up the falling prices before they trickle down to us peasants who have to keep filling our tanks, supply and demand is only part of the equation to the extent they can prevent collapsing refined product prices as the price of the raw material plummets.

How is this playing out with the cost of energy in aggregate?

What other commodities rise and fall in parallel to the price of oil?

Dec 20 15 09:19 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

R.EYE.R wrote:

I thought obama has been rolling over for putin on many issues, as he has been with China.

To what extent can obama affect the price of oil? In what ways? I would guess it's his wet dream to nationalize all the energy companies, but I don't think he has been able to do that yet.

He has tried to jack up all of our other domestic utilities in any way he can. He was able to stop the pipeline of sand oil from Canada. He is constantly attacking coal and fracking. None of these efforts would result in falling prices. To the contrary.

Obama can harass the energy companies, but I don't know to what extent he can dictate prices any more than any other leader of any other oil producing country.

In spite of his efforts to interfere with production, oil production on private property has expanded around him.

Demand is probably weak because the economy has been in the tank, more or less, since the financial crash of 2008.  It was sickly before that.

Dec 20 15 09:29 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

Click Hamilton wrote:

I thought obama has been rolling over for putin on many issues, as he has been with China.

To what extent can obama affect the price of oil? In what ways? I would guess it's his wet dream to nationalize all the energy companies, but I don't think he has been able to do that yet.

He has tried to jack up all of our other domestic utilities in any way he can. He was able to stop the pipeline of sand oil from Canada. He is constantly attacking coal and fracking. None of these efforts would result in falling prices. To the contrary.

Obama can harass the energy companies, but I don't know to what extent he can dictate prices any more than any other leader of any other oil producing country.

In spite of his efforts to interfere with production, oil production on private property has expanded around him.

Demand is probably weak because the economy has been in the tank, more or less, since the financial crash of 2008.  It was sickly before that.

You really hate the man, don't you?

Please point to specific legislation that he's called for that support your claims that he wants to nationalize the energy companies.  Which executive orders has he signed that does anything to affect fracking or coal?  You choose to ignore that a President doesn't make law, Congress does.  The President only signs legislation to make it official and enforceable.  Certainly, he (or soon, she) will suggest legislation to constituents, but as we all know, almost nothing becomes a bill without 20 riders and pork projects.  The political process has become a joke and until line item is instituted, no bill is 100% good or bad to any particular party.

Even the ACA has allowed big pharma to jack up prices and become more profitable.  That's the American Way ©®™

Dec 20 15 10:58 pm Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

You really hate the man, don't you?

Please point to specific legislation that he's called for that support your claims that he wants to nationalize the energy companies.  Which executive orders has he signed that does anything to affect fracking or coal?  You choose to ignore that a President doesn't make law, Congress does.  The President only signs legislation to make it official and enforceable.  Certainly, he (or soon, she) will suggest legislation to constituents, but as we all know, almost nothing becomes a bill without 20 riders and pork projects.  The political process has become a joke and until line item is instituted, no bill is 100% good or bad to any particular party.

Even the ACA has allowed big pharma to jack up prices and become more profitable.  That's the American Way ©®™

Yep. Pretty much. Executive Orders do have the effect of law but only apply to the heads of Federal agencies - their marching orders for administering laws enacted by Congress if you will. Funny thing is, that (regardless of party) many EO's are flat out ignored for no other reason than the agencies simply don't have the funds to actually implement them.

Dec 20 15 11:10 pm Link

Photographer

nwprophoto

Tonasket, Washington, US

SPV Photo wrote:
Why is oil so cheap? There's a lot of it right now.

Besides basic supply and demand economics you have this huge derivatives (futures/options) market.
Think most people these days are aware of the big players and what goes on in derivatives.

Dec 21 15 06:26 am Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

When the price of crude oil becomes cheap the USA imports more of it.  Unfortunately there is a law that after it is processed it cannot be resold on the world market.  So the USA ends up with lots of extra processed oil that can't be exported.  I'm not sure why they can't change that law.  What happens generally is the oil companies start shutting down their refineries until the price starts climbing again.  They have a harder time now controlling the price this way because of natural gas being so abundant.

Dec 21 15 08:56 am Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

You choose to ignore that a President doesn't make law, Congress does.  The President only signs legislation to make it official and enforceable.

So simple and innocent as that, eh?
[Long and outstanding post with lots of supporting links redacted]
This is not the time or place to talk about the reality of politics, leverage and obama's doctrine of "fundamental transformation" as a euphemism for boilerplate marxism.

I'll leave you with one link to ponder:
http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/06/politics/ … ion-kerry/
If you admire this guy anyway, flanked by two monumental genius's in their own right, maybe you'll enjoy his scripted hogwash. So what difference does it make?

Dec 21 15 10:19 am Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

Click Hamilton wrote:

So simple and innocent as that, eh?
[Long and outstanding post with lots of supporting links redacted]
This is not the time or place to talk about the reality of politics, leverage and obama's doctrine of "fundamental transformation" as a euphemism for boilerplate marxism.

I'll leave you with one link to ponder:
http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/06/politics/ … ion-kerry/
If you admire this guy anyway, flanked by two monumental genius's in their own right, maybe you'll enjoy his scripted hogwash. So what difference does it make?

Would the XL affect global oil prices?

We have historic supply levels, and are running out of places to store it.  I agree that the XL was a political bargaining chip that Obama never had to play.  In the grand scheme of things, nobody needs it.  Oil prices are near all time lows.  Domestic projects to get even MORE oil seem foolish at this point.  The jobs this would have created can surely be shifted to infrastructure jobs. 

Too many times, our government chooses unimportant projects to battle each other against, pitting politics above common sense.  And we, the dumb citizens, buy into the fight without looking at who among them profits the most if the project succeeds or fails.  And before someone chimes in and says how profitable the Pipeline would have been and how soon, be sure to cite WHO would profit and using what data, 2013 oil prices, or 2016 oil price futures.

Dec 21 15 11:49 am Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

Would the XL affect global oil prices?

To the extent it would affect supply in the US, and in turn US demand for foreign oil, yes.
To the extent Canadian oil reaches the Gulf more efficiently for distribution to international markets, yes.

To what extent, I don't know. These are sub-elements of a much bigger and evolving equation.

Logically I would guess the domestic effect would be significantly more than the international effect. In terms of national security I would guess that a shift of dependence away from Saudi and middle east oil toward Canadian oil would be a good thing. As would the dilution of cartel influence. Cost of distribution would be cheaper.

We have historic supply levels, and are running out of places to store it.

Why? And if this is really the case and not a simplistic after-the-fact excuse for finger pointing, why didn't industrial leaders see this glut coming and why did this price crash seem to suddenly catch them, the bankers, the economy planners and everyone else off guard?

Or, if they DID quietly see this glut coming, why did they fail to keep prices artificially high?

Why should this major decrease in the cost of energy not be leveraged to stimulate and expand our economy, create real jobs and improve the competitive productivity and comparative advantage of the United States in the world?

I agree that the XL was a political bargaining chip that Obama never had to play.  In the grand scheme of things, nobody needs it.  Oil prices are near all time lows.  Domestic projects to get even MORE oil seem foolish at this point.  The jobs this would have created can surely be shifted to infrastructure jobs.

Why should oil be supported at artificially high prices?

The other part about private sector jobs based on productivity and "infrastructure jobs" doled out by the government gets too political and dictatorial to address in this thread. The latter is too corrupt, too inefficient, and too stupid to be functional in a way the produces more than it consumes. The entire flow of diverted resources quickly becomes political money laundering and "transfer of wealth" by way of political payback. i.e. campaign funding. Infrastructure that never gets built or repaired is the excuse.

Too many times, our government chooses unimportant projects to battle each other against, pitting politics above common sense.  And we, the dumb citizens, buy into the fight without looking at who among them profits the most if the project succeeds or fails.  And before someone chimes in and says how profitable the Pipeline would have been and how soon, be sure to cite WHO would profit and using what data, 2013 oil prices, or 2016 oil price futures.

All the more reason why incompetent bureaucrats and failed government policies, combined with the elemental greed of politicians and special interests who try to establish privileged monopolies should not be so big and so deeply invasive into all aspects of our lives. The Dept of Energy and the State Department should not be trying to manage the extraction and distribution of oil and energy resources any more than all the other Federal departments try to take over and manage our health industry, technology, housing markets, food & agriculture, utilities, education, student loans, banking & finance, etc., etc., etc. They don't know how to do it, they can't do it, and they shouldn't try. Many of these federal resource management departments should be abolished. The federal budget should be required to be balanced by a Constitutional amendment to put a cap on all this endless bureaucratic political sprawl and meddling that sucks massive amounts of money and produces nothing in return.

Dec 21 15 12:07 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

Russian Oil Production Hits Record As Saudi Gambit Fails
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-12-2 … mbit-fails

https://www.zerohedge.com/sites/default/files/images/user92183/imageroot/2015/12/RussianOilProductionCosts_0.png

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markpmills/ … ?ss=energy
"Russia’s deputy finance minister said that his nation foresees oil staying cheap for at least the forthcoming decade. He went on to say that while Russia could weather this “different reality,” other oil producers would have a tougher time."

Dec 21 15 12:27 pm Link

Photographer

Guss W

Clearwater, Florida, US

Why is oil so cheap?  The answer is in why it was so high.  OPEC, which artificially held back production, has become irrelevant with the increased pumping in the U.S. and within the countries of the former Soviet Union.  OPEC has been forced into a competitive market.

But don't confuse faster pumping with the peak oil problem.  The discovery of new reserves in terms of volume is going down while the population is going up.  Also, a lot of funny things happen with the statistics you see.  There is a motivation to inflate reserve figures.  Within OPEC, a country's allocation was based on the amount of their reserves, so there was always the incentive to fudge the numbers.  Politically, too, a country's importance depends on its oil reserves.  So in Venezuela, the estimates of oil reserves multiplied almost 4 times during the tenure of Hugo Chavez.  Is that for real or not?  Another funny aspect of the numbers is that reserves available include only those reserves that are feasible to recover.  As the price of oil goes up, that means that crappy marginal deposits become feasible and get added to the reserve numbers.  Hopefully someone is planning ahead for the benefit of future generations.

Dec 21 15 02:29 pm Link

Photographer

SAND DIAL

Will some of the bigger Petrol - Gas- Oil companies go under soon?

Dec 26 15 07:20 pm Link

Photographer

FlirtynFun Photography

Houston, Texas, US

SAND DIAL wrote:
Will some of the bigger Petrol - Gas- Oil companies go under soon?

I guess you missed that Halliburton bought Baker Hughes and that Schlumberger bought Cameron?
My wife likes that I can fill the boat AND the truck up for less than it used to cost me to fill up just the truck when gasoline was $3.50 a gallon...but the energy sector really is suffering. One point of good news in the Omnibus spending bill is that Republicans added wording that will end the oil export ban. That could be great for US oil companies.

Dec 27 15 04:02 am Link

Photographer

Chris Rifkin

Tampa, Florida, US

FlirtynFun Photography wrote:

I guess you missed that Halliburton bought Baker Hughes and that Schlumberger bought Cameron?
My wife likes that I can fill the boat AND the truck up for less than it used to cost me to fill up just the truck when gasoline was $3.50 a gallon...but the energy sector really is suffering. One point of good news in the Omnibus spending bill is that Republicans added wording that will end the oil export ban. That could be great for US oil companies.

Heh,that Omnibus dumpster fire is an exercise in who could out pork who....but I digress,
This is one known item that is very good

Dec 27 15 08:01 am Link

Photographer

SAND DIAL

Sure did.

Dec 27 15 08:39 am Link

Photographer

Guss W

Clearwater, Florida, US

FlirtynFun Photography wrote:
... One point of good news in the Omnibus spending bill is that Republicans added wording that will end the oil export ban. That could be great for US oil companies.

And then prices go up for us.  Same thing with natural gas.  We might be paying three times as much if we let gas become part of the global market.  But the oil companies, unlike us, have their lobbyists.

Dec 27 15 11:07 am Link

Photographer

SAND DIAL

Thanks- And then prices go up for us. 

How High???

Dec 27 15 11:21 am Link

Photographer

Guss W

Clearwater, Florida, US

SAND DIAL wrote:
Thanks- And then prices go up for us. 

How High???

If it becomes a world market, then world price for oil and gas.  Seems like Europe is paying about 3 times as much for natural gas as we are.

Dec 27 15 12:55 pm Link

Photographer

San Anselmo, California, US

Its the old situation of supply & demand.   The Saudis(& opec)  initially wanted Oil prices to go down because they were  alarmed that fracking was producing an over abundance of crude oil in Canada & the US , but since fracking is an expensive process and only is profitable when crude  oil trades over $50 /bbl they overdid it !!  SO at present  The Saudis, the poor poors( sarcasm) are panicking .......  NOW that Iran sanctions are about to be lifted  thanks to Obama, & will be selling much more crude    " on the open market"  the oversupply situation could, as Goldman mentioned may head to the $20 levels.  + Russia is still producing as much oil as they can to supply  Europe . So Oil prices are acting very erratically.   Gold  too, but hard to find a correlation there

Dec 27 15 02:16 pm Link

Photographer

SAND DIAL

Guss W wrote:

If it becomes a world market, then world price for oil and gas.  Seems like Europe is paying about 3 times as much for natural gas as we are.

Due to import duty and transport?

Dec 27 15 07:01 pm Link