Forums > Model Colloquy > How important is Bio?

Model

alba111

Detroit, Michigan, US

Hi!
Wondering what everyone's thoughts were when it comes to the "about me" section of your profile. Are you more likely to hire someone who has a particular type of bio? What are some important components to add?
smile

Dec 30 15 08:50 pm Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

Absolutely, I read the model profile carefully, often twice.   Most of the time, it tells me her maturity, intelligence and commitment.  I look for red flags so I don't have to bother her.  smile

Dec 30 15 09:32 pm Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

I think it's extremely important.  Most of my decision to contact or ignore a model is made on the profile, more so even than on the pictures in the portfolio.  There's no lack of beautiful people, male and female, on MM.  Interesting, responsible, dependable folks who, whether pro or amateur, conduct themselves in a professional manner are in far shorter supply
--Does the model seem intelligent and interesting?  If I'm going to spend two to four hours with someone, I much prefer that (s)he not be boring, overly self-centered or even just plain dumb.
--Does (s)he seem to be responsible and dependable?  I certainly don't want to spend my time organizing myself, my space and that of the other team members on someone who may or may not show up on time (or at all) and ready to work.
--Does (s)he understand my work, and is (s)he realistic about  his/her ability to contribute to a successful shoot?  If I'm looking for someone for an art project, I don't to waste my time with someone who is categorically opposed to any level of nudity and if it's a fashion-oriented project, I don't want a four-foot, eleven inch, hundred and fifty pound model who is convinced (s)he can "think tall".
--Is (s)he genuinely committed to modeling or just in it for the buck?  Nothing wrong with wanting to make a living, but I find that the folks that think this is an easy gig that doesn't involve skill, talent and commitment to the project at hand tend to make pretty poor pictures and the ones that have an excessive idea of their own worth area best left to their own devices.

All IMHO as always, of course.

Dec 30 15 09:38 pm Link

Photographer

Deep Visions

Oceanside, California, US

A models' bio is the very first thing I look at before viewing any photos, sometimes I don't bother looking at the models' photos after reading the bio

Dec 30 15 09:42 pm Link

Photographer

RTE Photography

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

Rays Fine Art wrote:
I think it's extremely important.  Most of my decision to contact or ignore a model is made on the profile, more so even than on the pictures in the portfolio.  There's no lack of beautiful people, male and female, on MM.  Interesting, responsible, dependable folks who, whether pro or amateur, conduct themselves in a professional manner are in far shorter supply
--Does the model seem intelligent and interesting?  If I'm going to spend two to four hours with someone, I much prefer that (s)he not be boring, overly self-centered or even just plain dumb.
--Does (s)he seem to be responsible and dependable?  I certainly don't want to spend my time organizing myself, my space and that of the other team members on someone who may or may not show up on time (or at all) and ready to work.
--Does (s)he understand my work, and is (s)he realistic about  his/her ability to contribute to a successful shoot?  If I'm looking for someone for an art project, I don't to waste my time with someone who is categorically opposed to any level of nudity and if it's a fashion-oriented project, I don't want a four-foot, eleven inch, hundred and fifty pound model who is convinced (s)he can "think tall".
--Is (s)he genuinely committed to modeling or just in it for the buck?  Nothing wrong with wanting to make a living, but I find that the folks that think this is an easy gig that doesn't involve skill, talent and commitment to the project at hand tend to make pretty poor pictures and the ones that have an excessive idea of their own worth area best left to their own devices.

All IMHO as always, of course.

All of the above, plus, I don't care about your love for your dog, grandmother, or favorite poet, band or music. If you have any special talents, dance, underwater swimming, yoga, acting training, I would like to know about those. If you are a vegan and won't eat, touch, certain things, that is also handy to know. Also keep your weight, hair, etc. information updated.

Dec 30 15 10:20 pm Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

RTE Photography wrote:
I don't care about your love for your dog, grandmother, or favorite poet, band or music.

Reading model profile can be entertaining.  Once upon of a time I read  "I don't show my goodies because they are for my boy friend only"......LOL

Dec 30 15 10:54 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

It's the first thing I look at, so a well written profile bio is very important to me.  Being multitalented is a plus, so I like to know your other activities such as dancing, sports, music and theater.  I look at other places on social media like Facebook, Twitter and Instagram ... as I am following you on Instagram now and see you have many followers.  Then I do look at your images.  The value of a good bio should not be understated!

Dec 30 15 11:37 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Deep Visions wrote:
A models' bio is the very first thing I look at before viewing any photos, sometimes I don't bother looking at the models' photos after reading the bio

Yeah, I read it first too... that gives me an idea... then I might give it a very quick look... a few seconds are enough to have a negative or positive impression confirmed and either continue to look, or click out not to waste my time.

Dec 30 15 11:55 pm Link

Makeup Artist

muasunny

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

alba_andela wrote:
Hi!
Wondering what everyone's thoughts were when it comes to the "about me" section of your profile. Are you more likely to hire someone who has a particular type of bio? What are some important components to add?
smile

very important.  Also, for models, the photos in your portfolio is just as important.  this applies same with makeup artist because that is what most people will look at if you are right candidate for the spot.

Dec 31 15 01:41 am Link

Photographer

TomFRohwer

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

alba_andela wrote:
Are you more likely to hire someone who has a particular type of bio? What are some important components to add?
smile

It's fine to get relevant and targeted information.

If a model tells me in the "about me" section that she/he is concerned about global warming or supporting animal shelter or such stuff suspicion raises that this model will be unable to sort relevant things from irrelevant things in other contexts, too.

Limit yourself to things that are relevant for your modelling and for your (potential) customers.

I'm not interested in your cute kids (except maybe I can book you plus cute kids for stock photography showing cute mummy with cute kids...). But mentioning your cute kids may raise suspicion that your kids might be much more important for you than your modelling - and that may raise questions about your reliabilty. I'm not interested in your religious beliefs but speaking about it in your model bio may raise suspicion that your religious beliefs may interfere with some modelling jobs.

Telling private things or even about your sex life and than stating "This is not a dating site!!!" in the next chapter is a little bit weird. Models are hired for their look and their professional competence so a very short "bio" even may appear extra professional...
References are fine. Special competences (dance, yoga, horseback riding, diving, acting, ...) are fine. Special interests may suggest special competences - but also lead to bias. Use "about me" for information that do not fit into the standard categories. ("Tattoos: some" - "A 10" tattoo showing a tiger head on my upper back")

Dec 31 15 05:17 am Link

Photographer

Wheeling Tog

Wheeling, West Virginia, US

OP...I don't care about a bio. But I can't comment about agencies and what they like. For a photog that aspires to get ahead a bio or CV is very important.

Dec 31 15 05:30 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

A brief bio to give a bit more information than comes across in the stats and portfolio can be helpful.  Bios filled with non-relevant personal information and/or demands/restrictions can also be a turn off, although I always appreciate knowing negative information upfront rather than after several communications.   It saves time for both parties involved.

Dec 31 15 06:24 am Link

Photographer

D a v i d s o n

Gig Harbor, Washington, US

I'll go straight to the images first being that she is a model I need to see her,  If I like what I see then i'll look at the bio.

Dec 31 15 08:53 am Link

Model

Dekilah

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I adjust my bio at least a few times a year to reflect my current goals and such. My goal for my bio is to answer the most common questions people may have about working with me, to show that I am serious about and devoted to what I do, and to convey a high level of professionalism. It's difficult to know if it's effective or if people appreciate it, but I have had a couple people tell me they like it. The fact that most people contacting me seem to be contacting me about stuff I am interested in is probably a pretty good indication that my bio is doing part of it's job.

Dec 31 15 09:39 am Link

Model

alba111

Detroit, Michigan, US

Should you leave out your agency from your bio?

Dec 31 15 10:34 am Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

alba_andela wrote:
Should you leave out your agency from your bio?

No, do not leave out.

Dec 31 15 12:22 pm Link

Photographer

AgX

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Deep Visions wrote:

+1

I'm looking for red flags* and green lights in the bio, and if I read the latter, I look inside to see if what I feel are positives are supported by the images in the portfolio.

*red flags aren't necessarily "wrong" or "bad", just indications that we might not be compatible.

Dec 31 15 12:48 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Dekilah wrote:
I adjust my bio at least a few times a year to reflect my current goals and such. My goal for my bio is to answer the most common questions people may have about working with me, to show that I am serious about and devoted to what I do, and to convey a high level of professionalism. It's difficult to know if it's effective or if people appreciate it, but I have had a couple people tell me they like it. The fact that most people contacting me seem to be contacting me about stuff I am interested in is probably a pretty good indication that my bio is doing part of it's job.

I wish that all bios were as informative as yours!

Dec 31 15 05:04 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

alba_andela wrote:
Hi!
smile

"About me" is extremely important and I would not even think about engaging a model without studying the bio.

That being said, many models seem to consider the bio as running a distant second to their portfolio, so, especially with newbies, I allow a fair bit of leeway unless they include demands or attitudes that I think will be counterproductive.

Dec 31 15 05:09 pm Link

Model

Dekilah

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Dekilah wrote:

Rob Photosby wrote:
I wish that all bios were as informative as yours!

Thank you ^_^ It's been a process. I still think some people would see it as too long, but I'm hoping it saves everyone some time.

Dec 31 15 08:05 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

i might not hire someone because of their bio but i probably won't hire them because of it (for that i rely more on their portfolio). although premium members are able to put images in their bio.

if they rant in their bio (maybe they've had some bad experiences but hopefully that won't happen with me) and go on at length about their military boyfriend, etc. then it's just kind of a turn-off even though i understand why they might think that's a good idea.

in the bio i think it's helpful if they can specify their nudity limits (or that they don't do nudes or whatever their take on that whole thing is)

and if they have regular rates it's helpful to see those as well

Dec 31 15 08:25 pm Link

Model

Eleanor Rose

PASO ROBLES, California, US

Bios are extremely important!

Here's what you should include:
-A short blurb about who you are, specific to modeling (keep it succinct and on topic)
-Agency representation, if applicable
-Your location info and whether or not you have transportation
-Your availability info, if limited
-Genre limits (matter of fact and professional - no one like negativity or all caps)
-Whether you're available for TF and any requirements
-Any pertinent details about your look
-Any special skills that would benefit photographers (dancing, acting, prop building, etc.)

Put any publication info in the credit notes section.

I highly recommend browsing the portfolios of some of the top MM models in the genre you want to focus on and seeing how they set them up.

Jan 02 16 06:39 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

Connor Photography wrote:
Absolutely, I read the model profile carefully, often twice.   Most of the time, it tells me her maturity, intelligence and commitment.  I look for red flags so I don't have to bother her.  smile

this!
sometimes its more of a deciding factor than the images.

Jan 02 16 07:10 pm Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

A well done bio is a pretty clear indicator of the communication skills and maturity of the writer.

It's not a "Make or Break" with a sloppy bio - but it is a pretty big demerit.

And I have yet to have a model show up and talk in the 3rd person like her bio was written....

Jan 02 16 09:22 pm Link

Photographer

Znude!

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

I declined hiring a model because in her profile she stated that she "doesn't believe in capitalism" but then in our messages she was asking to be paid. It just seemed really stupid to me and I couldn't get past it.

Jan 03 16 12:45 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Karlsen

Gloversville, New York, US

I did in person job interviews at one time, the MM bio to me is the "first impression" a model makes, the same as walking through the door.  It is not generally a make or break thing but it can be a deciding factor on whether or not to make further contact. I have on rare occasions though, read the Bio section and it said to me "don't bother" move on.

Hopefully I will see enough information to interest me in looking further and give me the feeling the person would be interested in working with me.

Jan 05 16 08:52 am Link

Artist/Painter

MainePaintah

Saco, Maine, US

D a v i d s o n wrote:
I'll go straight to the images first being that she is a model I need to see her,  If I like what I see then i'll look at the bio.

I do the same except I first look to the left to see if she said "yes" on shooting nudes (I paint fine art nudes, so that's a must), then it is straight to the photos! I love reading the bios, (some are sooooo funny) but that comes last!

Jan 05 16 09:03 am Link