Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > ‘Star Trek’ Creator’s Lost Data Recovered

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

So how are your images stored?  What about obsolescence?  Will your files be readable?

‘Star Trek’ Creator Gene Roddenberry’s Lost Data Recovered From 200 Floppy Disks
http://www.thewrap.com/star-trek-creato … ppy-disks/

"It took over three months for the DriveSavers engineering team to develop software that could read the disks. Even though the engineers were able to crack the unusual formatting, reading the nearly 200 disks took the better part of a year to finish."

(This would be for 25 to 50 meg of data if the disks were full - old 5 1/4 disks were originally  360k if double sided - 180k if single sided - or even less with certain formatting schemes -- 1.2meg formatted capacity came along much later.)

Jan 06 16 08:51 am Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Los Angeles, California, US

V'ger

Jan 06 16 09:30 am Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Uhura's lost nudes?

Jan 07 16 02:39 am Link

Photographer

John Photography

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

Robb Mann wrote:
Uhura's lost nudes?

More like Grace Lee Whitney... Lots of backstage stories about her.

Jan 07 16 04:44 am Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

special software???? really???

all they had to do was come to my house. i still have a couple dos machines running with 5.25" floppy drives!

Jan 07 16 05:28 am Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

In can suck when you have media that's no longer supported -- anyone remember Zip Drives?

Jan 07 16 08:20 am Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

Robb Mann wrote:
In can suck when you have media that's no longer supported -- anyone remember Zip Drives?

and tape drives for backups? i still have a few 8" floppies n core memory boards for a mini ohio scientific. mylar tape punch telletype?

Jan 09 16 03:46 pm Link

Photographer

Al Lock Photography

Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand

Robb Mann wrote:

Remember? I still have ten Zip and two Jaz disks.... (and five LS120s too)

Jan 09 16 05:45 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

The F-Stop wrote:
special software???? really???

all they had to do was come to my house. i still have a couple dos machines running with 5.25" floppy drives!

I suspect that this was many years  pre DOS --
         -- probably an odd CP/M or UNIX variant with a non standard disk format to boost capacity beyond 160k/320k

-- many tricks could have been used, including changing rotation speed and boosting the number of sectors to write more data on the outer tracks or writing data past the usual track limits

-- from an era when they sold punches so that you could cut a notch on the oposite side of the disk so that you could turn it over and write on the other side.

Jan 09 16 09:05 pm Link

Photographer

henrybutz New York

Ronkonkoma, New York, US

Michael Bots wrote:

I suspect that this was many years  pre DOS --
         -- probably an odd CP/M or UNIX variant with a non standard disk format to boost capacity beyond 160k/320k

-- many tricks could have been used, including changing rotation speed and boosting the number of sectors to write more data on the outer tracks or writing data past the usual track limits

-- from an era when they sold punches so that you could cut a notch on the oposite side of the disk so that you could turn it over and write on the other side.

yea, wow - we're talking the 60's?  That's about 15 years prior to MS-DOS or CP/M.  Vintage floppy's could be 10 or 12 "hard sector'ed" - meaning they didn't have just one physical hole in the medium to sync up the sectors which would render them unreadable with any modern hardware.  It was probably a do-it-yourself kit computer.  Then, there's the formatting - probably a dozen or more different propriety formats and file systems.  On top of that, the magnetic media will have degraded and have started to drop a bit here and there.  No modern floppy drive would read it without hacking into the firmware.  They had a team working on it for a year - sounds about right.

Jan 10 16 06:53 am Link

Photographer

John Photography

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

I still have a zip drive I used to death with Windows 95 but no more disks. Not even sure it still works, despite how reasonably well kept it was..

Was being the operative word. No cables or anything either.

Someone mentioned they have a core memory board, curious about that. Can you post a pic of it? I'd love to see what that looks like.

Jan 10 16 07:03 pm Link