Forums > Model Colloquy > the skinny on PAY

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

I booked a at the time pretty well known traveling nude model from here and she told me sometimes weeks go by when she isn't working at all.   Freelance modeling is rough especially in late fall and winter.   That being many shooters want to shoot on location and its too cold.   She would often trade a place to stay for shoots.   A few other models would do the same with a few here who according to them had no actual homes.   Lets say the average nude model on MM books one job a week at  $400.00 that's $10.00/hour at a 40 hour job.   When things are slow that may be close to accurate.   I recall a model from here who was on the cover of a now defunct men's magazine asking a friend could he host when she came to Chicago.

A few couldn't afford to replace cell phones or laptops both  critical for freelance models.   Modeling can be great part time cash but full time not so much.   When I lived in Texas their were photographers who paid models and shot a lot on location.
South Texas is pretty warm even during the winter but their weren't that many and most paid by the session and not hour with $100,00 to $200.00 for a full day being common.   This becomes more complicated by girlfriends and women who shoot nude for friends and I know plenty of working professionals who never pay and have models willing and waiting to shoot nude.

Paying models especially when its very hard to monetize your work is a investment some just can't make.    I'm not saying if they should or that if they buy equipment that they shouldn't but I've watched photographers working with entry level Digital Rebels like me.   Someone shooting with a sub $400.00 camera isn't likely to pay a model $100.00 per hour
and there are a LOT of us around.

Jan 19 16 10:35 am Link

Photographer

Hero Foto

Phoenix, Arizona, US

WOW, it would seem a LOT of people got their panties in a bunch over this.

Jan 19 16 10:41 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

Hero Foto wrote:

That might be because it is not only misleading, repetitive and essentially useless, it is also profoundly insulting to the modeling community, especially when posted on "their" forum by a photographer who attempts to foist it off as reality.

The icing on the cake is that you don't seem to understand this, at all.

Jan 19 16 10:45 am Link

Photographer

Hero Foto

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Shadow Dancer wrote:

lol .. oh I understand it, very well.

Jan 19 16 10:49 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Hero Foto wrote:

lol .. oh I understand it, very well.

Then I guess I don't understand the motivation for what appears to be a self-destructive activity?

Jan 19 16 11:02 am Link

Model

Phane_83fts

Rockville, Maryland, US

Shadow Dancer wrote:

That might be because it is not only misleading, repetitive and essentially useless, it is also profoundly insulting to the modeling community, especially when posted on "their" forum by a photographer who attempts to foist it off as reality.

Fuck yes!!!

Jan 19 16 11:27 am Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Hero Foto wrote:

My panties have been in a bunch for quite some time, primarily over the fact that so much is expected from models, for so little.

Very few people who book freelance models online understand the stresses that come with modeling, even just as a part-time/side income. You must be ON POINT, from the time you walk in the door (preferably 15 minutes early), to the time you leave. That's not so different from most customer service jobs (modeling is essentially customer service),  but UNLIKE your average sales position, you will getting be getting up at 4am, driving 200 miles, to arrive at 7am, camera-ready and on-fuckin-point. You'll have people critically evaluating your body and face every day. You'll be working with a lot of people who've already decided they dislike or distrust freelance models, so rapport-building is everything. You get no breaks on that front. Every move you make will be evaluated critically by your client(s), until they feel they can trust you. Much of your work will come through referrals from photographers you've worked with in the past, so if you miss a beat, you miss out on a potential gig they could refer you to. Any mistake at a shoot, even just forgetting one piece of wardrobe they requested you bring, can cost your big time.

You will sometimes get up at 4am, drive 200 miles, only to find that the person you're scheduled to shoot with sent you a text, canceling, when you were 150 miles into your drive to their location. A lot of people cancel the night before, not giving you time to fill that spot with other work. If you have a cancellation fee, they'll agree to pay it, then do not. Sometimes, people will book you for a half-day at, say, $250. After you finish that session, they'll mysteriously only have $150 in their wallet. You can't miss a beat, lest your customer service quality suffer, so you have to smile and say "thank you, that's fine," no matter how not fine it actually is.

Frequently, you will get up at 4am, drive 200 miles for a trade session with someone who has an amazing portfolio. You spend weeks preparing, possibly tailoring your diet and keeping dehydrated the morning before the shoot so your body will look great. You bring your own wardrobe, pay for an MUA, do the shoot - after which you're exhausted, starving and dying to drink a gallon of water - then, they disappear off the face of the earth, never fulfilling their end of the trade deal. This has happened to me so many times, I can't begin to count.

Yet, you still get these threads where people are essentially complaining that models charge too much. I drove 4000 miles, from October 8th, through November 8th of 2015. I worked in 9 different cities during those four weeks. I put the whole trip together, planning started in August, saved for the initial investment (obviously, there were large travel costs involved). Then, executed the whole thing, managing cancellations, reschedules, people's life complications, hosting, hotels as needed, budgeting for food and laundry during the trip, trying to gather up last minute items requested by photographers. My only days off were days spent driving hundreds of miles between locations. I don't think I showed up late to a single shoot during that entire month. I never lost my cool or complained when a few good-paying gigs got cancelled on me  After it was all over, I came home for a few weeks, then flew out to the Southwest to do another week of shooting. There are some intrinsic rewards to this -- but it's hard work. You don't get breaks. You can never, ever truly relax when you are actively shooting. I almost always get a bad cold after returning home from travel, because I'm exhausted, haven't gotten enough sleep, have been outdoors shooting in extreme cold/heat/uncomfortable conditions - your immune system gets kicked in the face when you're under so much stress for weeks at a time.

Yet, apparently, the Bureau of Labor Statistics, authority on everything, proves that paying more than $9/hr to a model is absurd.

Jan 19 16 12:02 pm Link

Photographer

Springfield Fotografiya

Springfield, Missouri, US

For those interested in a more rational and scientific approach to determining what price they should charge for a service or what price they should be willing to pay for a service, this chapter of David Friedman's book on Price Theory may be helpful: http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Academic/ … HAP_2.html

A few relevant points from the chapter include ...

"There are a number of features of the economic way of analyzing human behavior that many people find odd or even disturbing. One such feature is the assumption that the different things a person values can all be measured on a single scale, so that even if one thing is much more valuable than another, a sufficiently small amount of the more valuable good is equivalent to some amount of the less valuable."

In our context, it is helpful to keep in mind that those of us who hire models are weighing the price that the model charges against the alternative uses for the same funds for ourselves or that we are keeping in mind that our clients are doing the same.  This isn't to say any one price is universally right or wrong for all models working with all photographers on all shoots.  That would be absurd.  But it does explain why Model A charging $50/hour might get twice as many gigs as Model B charging $100/hour if both are of equal value in the eyes of photographers and/or their clients.

"So far I have discussed, and tried to defend, two of the assumptions that go into economics: comparability, the assumption that the different things we value are comparable, and non-satiation, the assumption that in any plausible society, present or future, we cannot all have everything we want and must give up some things we desire in order to have others. In talking about value, I have also implicitly introduced an important definition--that value (of things) means how much we value them and that how much we value them is properly estimated not by our words but by our actions."

A model has every right to set whatever price she thinks best for her services.  But it's in the nature of a free market that she is competing not just with other models for the rates they choose, but with every other potential use of the photographer's (or his client's) money.  If I had unlimited funds and no other wants or needs than hiring models for photography, there's be no limit to what I would be willing to pay.  But sadly, that's not the case and a model's rates have to be weighed against the costs of other wants and needs.  For example, if I am shooting purely for my own entertainment, how much does the value compared to the value I receive from watching X number of movies in 3D IMAX at the theater for the equivalent price?

"A market economy is coordinated through the price system. Costs of production--ultimately, the cost to a worker of working instead of taking a vacation or of working at one job instead of at another, or the cost of using land or some other resource for one purpose and so being unable to use it for another--are reflected in the prices for which goods are sold. The value of goods to those who ultimately consume them is reflected in the prices purchasers are willing to pay. If a good is worth more to a consumer than it costs to produce, it gets produced; if not, it does not."

For our purposes, this means that it doesn't make sense to expect models to model for photographers at a rate lower than their cost to provide the service.  (Rate includes all compensation, not just cash, explaining why some models may be willing to do TF or to barter.)  At the same time, it doesn't make sense to expect photographers or their clients to pay more for a service than it is worth to them.  When the cost and the value are compatible, a deal can be made.  When they're not, the model should look elsewhere for customers and the photographer or client should look elsewhere for models.

Jan 19 16 12:13 pm Link

Model

Koryn

A good percentage of photographers who book models off the internet do so in order to work on their personal projects. Or they book internet-based models because they enjoy the social and creative aspects of shooting. For them, it's a hobby, a time to leisurely grow their skillsets, or to work on their niche interest art projects.

As a result, they do not realize how intense, serious and focused the models who serve them must be. In order to survive even a few weeks of active shooting, a working model has to be coming from a whole different level of commitment and devotion. So, you have a bunch of guys who're shooting "for fun" or "to learn." These guys are seeking to work with people who've traveled thousands of miles in only a few days or weeks, sleeping in a different home every night, and probably not sleeping enough or eating well.

And so, there is a huge disconnect between the world of the internet-booking photographer and how he perceives the value of modeling work, versus the working model who is basically living and breathing it 24/7, for weeks, months and years at a time.

Jan 19 16 12:36 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Jan 19 16 01:33 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
For those who are curious, here's what the same site says about photographers.

I did better in a retail position and also had benefits.   smile

Jan 19 16 02:38 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Koryn wrote:

This is a perfect analogy and I love it.

Unfortunately, all the wisdom in the world won't change the underlying idea this thread (and others like it) are built upon:

"Freelance models should work for $10 per hour, or nothing at all. Additionally, we will refuse to acknowledge the tremendous amount of prep time, commute distance and expenses often required just to get to the shoot. We will continue to deny the emotional investment these people make in our work, and we will insist that all it takes to model is just to 'look pretty.' If we offer them trade, then fail to send images, they should just butt out. We won't answer calls or emails. Just drive 300 miles to get to our shoots, bring your own wardrobe, pay for the MUA, take your $30 and leave promptly afterwards." - Sincerely, Internet Photographers

I agree.  This seems to be the OP's agenda in this thread.

Jan 19 16 03:10 pm Link

Photographer

Springfield Fotografiya

Springfield, Missouri, US

Koryn wrote:
A good percentage of photographers who book models off the internet do so in order to work on their personal projects. Or they book internet-based models because they enjoy the social and creative aspects of shooting. For them, it's a hobby, a time to leisurely grow their skillsets, or to work on their niche interest art projects.

As a result, they do not realize how intense, serious and focused the models who serve them must be. In order to survive even a few weeks of active shooting, a working model has to be coming from a whole different level of commitment and devotion. So, you have a bunch of guys who're shooting "for fun" or "to learn." These guys are seeking to work with people who've traveled thousands of miles in only a few days or weeks, sleeping in a different home every night, and probably not sleeping enough or eating well.

And so, there is a huge disconnect between the world of the internet-booking photographer and how he perceives the value of modeling work, versus the working model who is basically living and breathing it 24/7, for weeks, months and years at a time.

If I might draw an analogy between models and dancers since both are performing arts and many are both models and dancers, then you're on the right track when it comes to recognizing that there is a disconnect between a customer who is only casually interested in the service a dancer provides for some light entertainment, a bit of fun and maybe some learning ability vs. a dancer who performs at a professional level nationally or regionally.  I admire a good dancer.  But I'd be a fool to expect someone who could be dancing at the Metropolitan Opera House, Carnegie Hall or the Kennedy Center to dance in my dining room for $10/hour.  Those who have a lower value for the service provided should work with those whose costs are more in line with the value they have for their services.  Those who highly value the service provided should be willing to pay what's needed to make it worthwhile for someone performing at a higher level to work with them.

I don't question whether or not someone who has a high value for the modeling of someone as dedicated as you are should pay for opportunity to work with you.  I was just pointing out that not everyone is in the market for someone of your caliber.  There are a lot more people willing to shell out for a Hyundai than for a Ferrari. smile There's probably be less frustration on various sides of this thread if there was a better way of matching and marketing the right models to the right photographers at the right times for the right projects.  Too often, people seem to take price negotiations and what's essentially a matter of bargaining within the context of cost and value personally.  I don't get upset when a model wants me to pay more than I'm willing to pay.  I just try to negotiate and we either end up with a deal or we don't.  When a model asks for less than I'm willing to pay and I'm impressed by the way she surpasses my expectations, then I might offer a tip in addition to the negotiated rate.

No offense intended toward anyone.  I'm not seeking to portray models as money-grubbing vampires always out to bleed photographers dry or photographers as cheap, miserly and ungrateful scrooges with no appreciation of a model's talent, skill and dedication.  I'm just trying to help people see that the issues related to price are problems that can be managed with opportunities that can be developed.  Seeing it as a natural economic process and an essential part of business may help avoid wounded egos and unnecessary conflict.  I appreciate what Koryn and others have said on the subject since she has helped to clearly explain her side of the issue even when some others seem to have been baiting her.

Jan 19 16 04:30 pm Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

Grayscale Photo wrote:
The hourly average rate ($9.02) is misleading.  It's a calculated by dividing the reported annual income by the standard 2000+ working hours in a year.  Very few models are working 40 hours/week at modeling.

For example, a model that earns $18,000/year working 100 modeling gigs, each of which lasts 4 hours is making about $45/hour.  Adjust any of those numbers to reach any hourly rate you want to justify.

Grayscale Photo wrote:
Once again, as long as the median hourly rate is a CALCULATED value based on annual income, not a REPORTED value, it's meaningless when most models aren't working 40 hours/week, 50 weeks/year.

"Annual wages have been calculated by multiplying the hourly mean wage by a "year-round, full-time" hours figure of 2,080 hours"  Also the BLS figures are based on full-time models, and does not include part time work, so your above comments/scenarios do not apply.

Isis22 wrote:
Keep in mind not everyone reports when they pay models and not every model reports their pay. Those statistics are meaningless to me and most people.

The BLS data is based on people who employ models, not people who hire the occasional freelance model.  It is based on what employers report paying models, not based on what models report they earn.  It's wage information, not freelance earnings. 

"These estimates are calculated with data collected from employers in all industry sectors, all metropolitan and nonmetropolitan areas, and all states and the District of Columbia."

malefica wrote:
Also, that was posted in 2012. That doesn't factor in local supply/demand fluctuations as well as inflation between then and now.

2014 data is as follows (2015 data I believe has not yet been released):

Median hourly:  $9.60
Mean hourly:  $16.12
10th percentile:  $8:13
90th percentile:  $23.86

http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes419012.htm

Keep in mind this is for models hired full time, and does not include part-time independent models.

Jan 26 16 08:57 am Link

Photographer

Hero Foto

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
This seems to be the OP's agenda in this thread.

My "agenda" was coming from a business majors POV. I am almost finished with my degree. This semester is all about HR and related stuff. Being a photographer I was curious as to WHAT was the ACTUAL wage and benefits for the industry, so as part of a case study, I went on the hunt. Starting at, you guessed it: DoL. These stats include data from Agencies and IRS records, in many parts of the industry including moving pictures. I also searched through modeling blogs and gathered data from models and agencies. I ain't done yet, but will use the info in a case study presented at the end of the semester. wink

Here's another GREAT bit of detail:

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/01/20/porns-di … -paid.html

Jan 26 16 12:38 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Hero Foto wrote:
My "agenda" was coming from a business majors POV. I am almost finished with my degree. This semester is all about HR and related stuff. Being a photographer I was curious as to WHAT was the ACTUAL wage and benefits for the industry, so as part of a case study, I went on the hunt. Starting at, you guessed it: DoL. These stats include data from Agencies and IRS records, in many parts of the industry including moving pictures. I also searched through modeling blogs and gathered data from models and agencies. I ain't done yet, but will use the info in a case study presented at the end of the semester. wink

1)  Your original post was about median pay, not "ACTUAL wage & benefits for the industry".
2)  Not clear whether the "industry" of the original post was related to the "industry" MM represents.
3)  Your "another GREAT bit of detail" is about the porn industry; implying that you think of models as
     porn stars, which is offensive.
4)  Business majors should understand...
     ...  The local supply & demand of talent & its impact of wages & rates,
     ...  The "median" wage is not the same as the average wage,
     ...  Model rates are subject to negotiation.

So, your explanation doesn't change the impression you are giving us.  Seems to many (including me) that you are just disrespecting models in an effort to get them to lower their rate demands.

Jan 26 16 01:35 pm Link

Model

Victoria Elle

New York, New York, US

These statics have been being posted to the forums for as long as I have been a member of this site (9 years).  The implication is always that models are stupid to ask the rates we ask, and that we are liars to say we are paid them.  What everyone who has ever posted these stats refuses to accept, no matter how many times it is said is:

-No model, not even full time, works as many hours as a full time hourly paid employee, and no employer employs models for as many hours as companies employ full time employees.  The numbers presented in these stats will therefor always be skewed.

-Some modeling jobs, even through an agency, are low paid.  Editorial work (the non-advertising images in fashion magazines) pays $150 per day.  Runway is often unpaid, or paid in clothing.  Other modeling jobs pay hundreds of dollars per hour.  The reason for this is editorial and runways work are considered prestigious, and are where the people who hire for higher paid modeling jobs (campaigns) look for models to hire, and because the usage of images is very limited (basically a one time use).  Almost no one on MM is shooting this sort of work.  Modeling jobs can also have higher rates attached to them if they are considered any kind of risk: the kind of work not every would be interested in doing because it may affect your chances at another job, or are not considered to be of artistic merit.  The more usage asked for also means a higher rate.  Almost everyone on MM is shooting this kind of work and asking for unlimited usage.

-They've since taken it down, but they used to show via a graph which companies they got their info from, and it was mostly from places that call to their retail sales associates and store greeters as "models" (Abercrombie, Hollister, etc.), further skewing the stats, because they do earn about $9/hr.

If you're actually interested in what models really earn, contact modeling agencies, tell them you are doing this school project, and get correct information.

Jan 26 16 02:13 pm Link

Photographer

Hero Foto

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Victoria Elle wrote:
These statics have been being posted to the forums for as long as I have been a member of this site (9 years).  The implication is always that models are stupid to ask the rates we ask, and that we are liars to say we are paid them.  What everyone who has ever posted these stats refuses to accept, no matter how many times it is said is:

-No model, not even full time, works as many hours as a full time hourly paid employee, and no employer employs models for as many hours as companies employ full time employees.  The numbers presented in these stats will therefor always be skewed.

-Some modeling jobs, even through an agency, are low paid.  Editorial work (the non-advertising images in fashion magazines) pays $150 per day.  Runway is often unpaid, or paid in clothing.  Other modeling jobs pay hundreds of dollars per hour.  The reason for this is editorial and runways work are considered prestigious, and are where the people who hire for higher paid modeling jobs (campaigns) look for models to hire, and because the usage of images is very limited (basically a one time use).  Almost no one on MM is shooting this sort of work.  Modeling jobs can also have higher rates attached to them if they are considered any kind of risk: the kind of work not every would be interested in doing because it may affect your chances at another job, or are not considered to be of artistic merit.  The more usage asked for also means a higher rate.  Almost everyone on MM is shooting this kind of work and asking for unlimited usage.

-They've since taken it down, but they used to show via a graph which companies they got their info from, and it was mostly from places that call to their retail sales associates and store greeters as "models" (Abercrombie, Hollister, etc.), further skewing the stats, because they do earn about $9/hr.

If you're actually interested in what models really earn, contact modeling agencies, tell them you are doing this school project, and get correct information.

Thanks for the insight Victoria, I appreciate the leads too.

Jan 26 16 04:01 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Hero Foto wrote:
but NOT on average, they are the exception not the standard (median)

Hero!!

Hello. smile Heya, I'm here on the West side for a couple more days, fwiw, and I didn't have to do the major jetlag to do so. smile

I like your shared link, thanks.

Jen

Jan 26 16 06:02 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
In 2014:   http://www.bls.gov/ooh/sales/models.htm    This of course is based on a national average.   A NY model is likely to make more then one based in Kansas.   Also as a poster noted many models don't work 40 hours a week with a large number doing more auditions then shoots.   I think that the main point is that some of the posts on MM have members claiming $100.00 or more per hour as a average when my guess its no where near that much.

A few years ago a popular MM member said she had made around $24,000 that year.   Not horrible for a college student or a person with no kids living with a roommate or in a place with low rents.   Not good otherwise.   I've taken buttwhuppings for saying $25.00 per hour for non nude work seems fair given that places like Wal-Mart and Target pay around $10.00 per hour.

Tony, I always seem to back you up when it comes to these discussions on what models average in salary.  It is an "average" and should not be the only basis for discussing model pay.  We know it can be all over the board!  There are those who call themselves a model who work & make little, while others who are in the mix of it can be making considerably more.   I know the music business is very similar.  Only a few are on top and making the big money. 

Another factor is the use of the Internet.  Many musicians and models are able to "sell" their "product" online with proper licensing along with good planning.  I know models who have websites (doesn't matter if it's nude or non nude) that make a decent income without having to work full time.  The best ones have started with a plan and built a following.  Other models I know are making good money traveling, doing everything from art & glamour nudes, to tradeshows or conventions.  Fashion modeling is still a way if one has the look and in the right location.  The Internet has become an important tool for many models and photographers!

I totally agree with you that $25 an hour is a decent wage for non-nude work ... and even nude in cases where the model & photographer are in mutual agreement.  Typically I do pay from a min. of $25 an hour upwards to $100 at the most.  These stats don't mean much to me at all.

Jan 26 16 06:23 pm Link

Model

Michelle Genevieve

Gaithersburg, Maryland, US

Hero Foto wrote:
and NOW you know ... wink

Now I know what?

Was this some sort of test to see if your math would be challenged? Apparently it has been.

Is this some sort of attempt to justify paying $9 per hour to models? Lemme know how it works out.

Jan 26 16 06:25 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Koryn wrote:
You will sometimes get up at 4am, drive 200 miles, only to find that the person you're scheduled to shoot with sent you a text, canceling, when you were 150 miles into your drive to their location. A lot of people cancel the night before, not giving you time to fill that spot with other work. If you have a cancellation fee, they'll agree to pay it, then do not. Sometimes, people will book you for a half-day at, say, $250. After you finish that session, they'll mysteriously only have $150 in their wallet. You can't miss a beat, lest your customer service quality suffer, so you have to smile and say "thank you, that's fine," no matter how not fine it actually is.

None of this is "fine".
I'm like Phoebe with money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HmayYpsDYk

Jan 26 16 07:14 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

When asked about your agenda, you answer which I am quoting just to make sure that we all understand that you've posted a link that you consider "great" regarding the pay for those in the porn industry.  You do know that Modelmayhem does not want photographers using this site to solicit models for pornography work, right?  Also if this were a link to a porn site, it would be against the rules.  As it is, you've gone off topic and it is not "great detail"  regarding models.  It is therefore off topic. So your agenda again?

Hero Foto wrote:

Here we have someone nailing you!

1)  Your original post was about median pay, not "ACTUAL wage & benefits for the industry".
2)  Not clear whether the "industry" of the original post was related to the "industry" MM represents.
3)  Your "another GREAT bit of detail" is about the porn industry; implying that you think of models as
     porn stars, which is offensive.
4)  Business majors should understand...
     ...  The local supply & demand of talent & its impact of wages & rates,
     ...  The "median" wage is not the same as the average wage,
     ...  Model rates are subject to negotiation.

So, your explanation doesn't change the impression you are giving us.  Seems to many (including me) that you are just disrespecting models in an effort to get them to lower their rate demands.

I can't help but wonder if either Hero Foto has an incredibly poor understanding of how the rule of averages works with statistics, or he really does have an agenda of brow beating models into working for him at $9 an hour.  What he pays models does not matter to me.  I will always pay what the model and I agree on, and that is typically $25 or more an hour.    The better models are worth far more!

Jan 27 16 12:23 am Link

Photographer

Brett Hunt

Washington Court House, Ohio, US

I agree with most points made by models here except their travel time.(not counting someone who is hired that is over 2 hours away) Local models that want paid to show up at work. The last 8 years of my job I traveled a hour each way to get there . I always made sure i had a half hour going to work in case of unforeseen trouble. They did not pay me for that travel has I chose to live where I did and accepted the job. I have hosted traveling models and it was never trade it was to help them with expenses. I never had a problem with any of them. Although they were probably used to staying at better places than my humble abode.If I was shooting with them I paid the agreed amount we discussed. Some gave me discounts, some shot extra time with me.  All I ever asked from them is they give me some noticed if they were going to stay with me so I could do some cleaning. Now where they may not like shooting with me is the prep time. I agree they should be paid for make up and hair time. I rent studios and have to pay for each hour used. I ask that the models show up ready to shoot as far as make up and hair. Not because I am cheap  just that I am on a budget. Unfortunately  there are those that flake ( not trying to start that debate just explaining a point.) I have to pay studio time and no work done. I only had one model pay for the rent and another one help out. Both had reasons for not being there and not just excuses. So this is in the back of my mind when discussing   pay with a model. Just like shop lifters raise the price of goods the honest people have to pay increased prices the good models suffer by the flakes. I try to always pay the traveling models their rates but sometimes I just can not. Most are  willing to work something out with me some are not that is their choice and I never got mad when one refused to negotiate with me. Anyone that thinks a good model just shows up and looks pretty , IMHO is a moron.

Jan 27 16 05:25 am Link

Model

Delia Mak

New York, New York, US

I agree with Koryn. Not even one disagreement in what she is explaining in her posts.

My very first pay I got for modeling nude is $200 for just one hour (I would like to think that it was actually less than one hour). The shoot was taken in NYC when I was traveling from Rochester, NY during my college year. In 2006 or 2007. I had never asked for a pay before. The bottom line is that I agreed to shooting for a TfPrint / TfCD with him. So, the amount of the pay blew my mind. This photographer shot with a large film format. He explained why I got paid and why I should get paid for future shoots. Oh yes, the pictures turned out marvelous-- I am proud of.

As time has passed, I learned how things worked. Personally, I don't want to get paid for modeling because it's so much work and I would expect (will never be surprised) that most results may be a loss in $$$. So, I stick to working non-modeling jobs that don't take so much work like modeling does.

In general, modeling job tends to include:
- to hustle as much as needed to cover your income ("spamming" until you have enough paid gigs)
- to increase more followers / fans (that creates more paid opportunities in future)
- to be prepared for losses like cancellation / no show up
- to be prepped like camera ready on makeup, hair, etc. for glamour (this type of shoots that a team is not present)
- to find a way to maintain your income (join websites like suicide girls, zivity, etc.) (or create your own domain website)
- to find certain props or clothing for a specific shoot (this type of shoots that do not have any of them)
- to plan your travels in your home state
- to plan your travels out of your home state

It's literally a ideal full time modeling job as I described above. It takes so much work.

I treat my modeling as more likely of a hobby, but at same time I take it seriously. Nowadays all my shoots are based on TfCD / TfPrint. I have the one and only rule-- do not buy anything for just a shoot (wear one time, never wear again) especially when it comes to TfCD / TfPrint. Otherwise, a photographer has to compensate this item(s) and can use it again for his shoots with different models (does it make sense to you?) or I simply move on to another photographer. All details must be present in a written message once at a time. I simply do not have time for chasing for more information. I come in camera ready. I get up super early morning because I have to put makeup on and style my hair for a morning shoot. Any subway train takes a bit time if I hop on it earlier than 6am. I pose even if the weather is so cold or dark. Then a shoot is completed. Whenever I suddenly get a text / email / MM private message telling me this shoot is cancelled, I just move on to another photographer to set up a shoot. I will never reschedule with this one. I find that it's more simpler than treating my modeling as my main (only and one) income.

The statistics do not represent all different types of modeling.
- Model topless in live for stores like A&F (I think this statistics represents that one)
- Model nude for college classes
- Model for workshops
- Model with agencies
- Model freelance (no agency)

The bottom line is that you are the only and one person who makes a decision. You decide to charge. You decide to pay. You decide to negotiate a rate. Communicate or move on to another subject. Therefore, statistics are useless.

Jan 27 16 06:43 am Link

Model

Koryn

Brett Hunt wrote:
I agree with most points made by models here except their travel time.(not counting someone who is hired that is over 2 hours away)...

In my experience, there is really no such thing as "local" shoots. Back five years ago, when there was actually paying work in the Northeast and I worked "locally" a lot, local meant anywhere from southern Connecticut, up through Maine, and as far out west as Albany, New York.

I'd be booked on Monday in central Massachusetts, an hour commute from my house, and the following day, I'd have to be 3 hours north in Vermont or New Hampshire. Large sections of each day, I'd be in the car driving.

In several years of working "locally," I was rarely less than 1-2 hours drive from home. And that was just one way. I frequently worked in Maine.

"Local" doesn't exist, if you plan on modeling for more than a year. Within that first year shooting, you'll quickly exhaust all the opportunities available within a half hour drive of your home. Then, you have to start planning for local shoots to include a radius of 3-4 states, depending on what region you live in and the size of your region.

By the beginning of 2013, the market for freelance models around New England was basically gone, so then it became an issue of ALL the work I was able to get was hundreds of miles from home. Thousands even.

For models who wish to build a sustainable income, there's no local. There's just commuting and more commuting.

Jan 27 16 08:03 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Photographers sure are sensitive about model rates!  Many seem pretty aggressive in trying to convince models to lower their rates, or to work for TF*, or for the models to pay the photographers instead.  We often get these threads, which can be considered disrespectful.  These threads pop up often, and many of us believe that these threads are an attempt to shame models into lowering their rates.  Some thoughts:

These threads, and the implied arguments therein, are pretty much worthless.  Models can ask for whatever compensation they want!  Photographers can accept, decline, or make a counteroffer.

Consistently treating the other party in a negotiation poorly (disrespectfully) can harm the disrespectful party in the long run.

I behave as if every model I talk with will in turn talk with every other model in the world.

Model rates are self-correcting.  If a model ask for a high rate:
...  If someone pays that rate, more power to her.
...  If no one will pay that rate, the model might lower her rate.
...  If she doesn't want to lower her rate, she might leave the business.
Either way, problem solved.  No need to make a big to-do about it -- that's just wasted energy.

For determining "realistic" rates (the "agenda" of this thread):
...  The "median" nationwide rate is practically worthless,
...  Rates are subject to local supply & demand pressures!
...  An average rate might have some worth, provided it is based on a local average,
...  Nothing would be more useful than comparable rates based on similar models.

Every model is unique; therefore even "comparable" rates have little utility.

Every one of us can stand to improve our negotiation skills.  You don't have to assume that the first offer you hear is the final offer.  But nothing will shut a negotiation down faster than disrespecting the other party.

Bottom line:  Photographers -- know your limits (i.e. how much you are willing to pay), and negotiate to your limit.  Everything else will take care of itself.

Jan 27 16 08:26 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

Koryn wrote:
Yet, apparently, the Bureau of Labor Statistics, authority on everything, proves that paying more than $9/hr to a model is absurd.

The Bureau of Labor Statistics isn't providing any opinion about what pay is absurd or not absurd.  They are simply reporting by mean, median and percentile what those who employ models actually pay them.  Reporting aggregate wage information to the public for various professions is part of what they do.  They report photographer earnings in a similar manner.  (note they report both the mean and median, $9/hour being the lower of the two.  The mean is closer to $16/hour.)

As Victoria Elle said, such employed models have little in common with the freelance modeling typical of most MM models.  The independent traveling freelance model, business plan you described is the opposite end of the spectrum from the type of modeling the BLS is reporting on.  Compared to full time employed models or even the MM model who models on the side, a full-time traveling model has many additional expenses she needs to cover with fairly limited shoot hours. 

Good for traveling models who can commend the higher rates necessary to make their business model work, but it doesn't follow the many models  (or those who hire them) who work at a lower rate, with less overhead, possibly more hours are doing anything wrong.   There's a place for full time models who earn a median and mean hourly wage of $9 and $16/hour, there's a place for traveling models who may commend $100/hour,  there's a place for TF, and there's a place for agency models and their rates.

Jan 27 16 08:32 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

A few quick points.   Professional fashion and commercial photographers generally don't pay models, clients do.   Test shoots including nudes are not something most will ever pay you for.   I'm not speaking of art photographers but those who work with industry talent and have clients.   I'm not trying to convince models what they should charge.   I am saying that many price themselves out of the market.   We all have expenses.   If you are a traveling model you may have more but I have to often pay for studio time, equipment and other things.   No one pays for those things unless I have a client.   

Many of those who pay models are amateurs who can't monetize their work.   This includes me.  I believe everyone should be paid fairly for their time.   However thinking that someone who doesn't make a lot at his day job and has expenses like we all do is going to pay you $75.00 to $100.00+ per hour is unwise in my view.   These discussions often become personal with some feeling attacked or feeling I and others are saying that their only worth $10.00 per hour.   First, in most jobs people are paid what people feel their worth.   Is a tennis player whose only won a few local tournaments have the same value as one of the Williams sisters.

However no one gets to decide what your time is worth.   If you want to charge $100.00 per hour you have a right to.   Getting paid that consistently may be challenging but its not up to me or anyone to say you shouldn't try.   If you work at Target or Wal-Mart and someone offers you $25.00 per hour for some clothed fashion shoots or maybe $30.00 to $40.00 an hour for art nudes and you have bills to pay and aren't being offered higher rates.   Then maybe you should consider it.   Or you can hold out for more and see if their willing to pay more.   Screw what I've said.

Jan 27 16 11:04 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
...I'm not trying to convince models what they should charge.   I am saying that many price themselves out of the market.   We all have expenses.   If you are a traveling model you may have more ...

It's obvious from the detailed posts by many traveling models, they have chosen a modeling approach that has very high overhead, and minimum billable contact hours in which to cover that overhead and make a profit.  This of course requires them to charge a much higher hourly rate than models who work more total hours either modeling or modeling and other work and don't have those high travel costs.

I get why they need to charge the high hourly rates they do to make it work, but what they never seem to explain is what incentive photographers have to pay them theses much higher rates.  It's clear some are having a hard time of it and are giving up on the traveling model thing as a result.  My congrats to those who can make it work.  It seems like a very tough business model to me.

Jan 27 16 12:23 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Abbitt Photography wrote:

It's obvious from the detailed posts by many traveling models, they have chosen a modeling approach that has very high overhead, and minimum billable contact hours in which to cover that overhead and make a profit.  This of course requires them to charge a much higher hourly rate than models who work more total hours either modeling or modeling and other work and don't have those high travel costs.

I get why they need to charge the high hourly rates they do to make it work, but what they never seem to explain is what incentive photographers have to pay them theses much higher rates.  It's clear some are having a hard time of it and are giving up on the traveling model thing as a result.  My congrats to those who can make it work.  It seems like a very tough business model to me.

Some models do well and share $2100/month apartments in LA and NYC.

Jan 27 16 12:26 pm Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

Some models do well and share $2100/month apartments in LA and NYC.

Indeed and good for them for doing so well.

Jan 27 16 12:43 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Abbitt Photography wrote:

In general,
...  Models don't care about photographers' expenses (like how much their cameras cost).
...  Photographers don't care about models expenses (like how much their travel costs).

There is no such thing as a "standard" modeling rate:
...  More than anything else, a model's rate is subject to pressures from the local supply & demand of
     similar talent.
...  Not all models are created equal.  Some match a project's requirements better than others.
...  Not all photographers are created equal.  In particular, some have a bigger budget than others.
...  It doesn't matter whether the photographer himself or the photographer's client is paying
     the model.
...  It doesn't matter whether the photographer expects to earn money from pictures of the model.
...  It doesn't matter what labor statistics say (remember, not all models are created equal).

All that matters: 
   The model can ask for whatever compensation she wants.
   The photographer can accept, decline, or make a counteroffer.
   Everything else is just a waste of time.

In my opinion, anything else is indicative of people not overly familiar or comfortable with the art of negotiation.

Jan 27 16 02:53 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

All that matters: 

In my opinion, anything else is indicative of people not overly familiar or comfortable with the art of negotiation.

Complete, concise, to the point.
Endless jibber-jabber does not further provide useful information.
/thread

Jan 27 16 02:58 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Some members negotiate  on model rates.   I want to know what someone is asking for.   I don't want to go back and forth or worry that my shoot may not happen because a model is getting more from someone else.   Give me your price and if I can afford you, great.   If I can't then that's too bad.   Model fees often have little to do with supply and demand.   What a model can charge and receive is mostly a reflection of what others feel she's worth paying.  Yet may vary based on her location.    A beautiful woman can charge a crap load of money in NY and get it and NY is filled with great looking models.   However being beautiful in Nowhere, Arkansas may not earn you anything even when the number of models is limited.

These discussions like many others are important.   Too often models don't know how things work.   Part of why some fall for Nigerian check fraud or portfolio mill modeling agencies.   Photographers who want to shoot art or glamour nudes can usually find plenty at local colleges and universities.   Some have school papers you can advertise in.   Craigslist is also a good resource and in both cases I've found nice nude models for $20.00 per hour.   Two are on a linked site on my profile page.   Better then some of the traveling nude models on MM?   I can't say but I could afford to pay them.   I had fun and I was happy with the results and they were cool with what I paid with both returning for more sessions including just TF.

These are just intellectual exercises because away from MM I assure all of you that photographers can find attractive models for nude work TF or paying $20.00 to $40.00 per hour.

Jan 27 16 03:41 pm Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

In general,
...  Models don't care about photographers' expenses (like how much their cameras cost).
...  Photographers don't care about models expenses (like how much their travel costs).

There is no such thing as a "standard" modeling rate:
...  More than anything else, a model's rate is subject to pressures from the local supply & demand of
     similar talent.
...  Not all models are created equal.  Some match a project's requirements better than others.
...  Not all photographers are created equal.  In particular, some have a bigger budget than others.
...  It doesn't matter whether the photographer himself or the photographer's client is paying
     the model.
...  It doesn't matter whether the photographer expects to earn money from pictures of the model.
...  It doesn't matter what labor statistics say (remember, not all models are created equal).

All that matters: 

I'm not sure why you quoted me and then stated this.  I for the most part agree with you.  Photographers for the most part don't care about a model's expenses as you said.  That was my very point about the higher expenses many traveling models have and wish to cover. (a point many traveling models have noted in this thread) 

If I can hire a local model for $30/hour who has little overhead, then I have little incentive to hire a similar traveling model at 4 times that rate.  As you said, it's about supply and demand.  What models actually earn and what photographers actually pay is a result of supply and demand.  That's where I disagree with you a bit regarding stats about what models earn.  Such stats reflect supply and demand.  However, as myself and others have said, what those who employ full time models pay them, (BLS stats) has little to do with with local supply and demand for freelance models.

Jan 27 16 04:06 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Tony Lawrence wrote:
Model fees often have little to do with supply and demand.   What a model can charge and receive is mostly a reflection of what others feel she's worth paying.  Yet may vary based on her location.    A beautiful woman can charge a crap load of money in NY and get it and NY is filled with great looking models.   However being beautiful in Nowhere, Arkansas may not earn you anything even when the number of models is limited.

What you describe above is supply and demand, nothing more and nothing less.

Jan 27 16 06:20 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Shadow Dancer wrote:

Wowsa,

nvm, I'm avoiding this.

Jan 27 16 07:52 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Phane2001 wrote:
Fuck yes!!!

Fuck no.

Y'all are ripping Hero to shreds here and all he did was post something that was likely an eye opener for him on what the real time wages of modeling boil down to.

Somehow it was taken as a nefarious attempt to deny models wages. WTF?

Crazy.

Hero, I took your post in an interesting way, the same way I felt when I read those statistics previously, (and which I share when people find out I model and they want me to get their daughter, son or themselves "discovered.")

Jen

Jan 27 16 07:53 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Supply and demand are always factors in what people can charge and receive BUT  understanding the economics of where you live and work are also critical.   Models are very in demand in NY and models from around the world go there and models can command decent cash.   Models are also in demand in smaller markets but may never be paid what a NY model gets.   The supply and demand for models may actually be higher in a smaller market based on population but how strong is the local economy.   What does the model look like.   Age and figure all make a difference.   

Mixed into this is the fact that for many projects you simply don't need to use a 'experienced' model.    Many well known shooters like Les krims use family members for their work.   Others use friends.   I'll use this example.   There always be a need for good competent photographers but in a age of iPhones and photo programs that automate and improve images making decent to any cash may prove difficult.   Amateurs with limited skills can often produce usable images and do.   Using models who know how to pose and have few inhibitions is a joy and are certainly worth $100.00 or more per hour.

Yet for amateurs with limited budgets is one who asks $30.00 an hour and is pretty and has a nice figure a lessor bargain especially given that 99% of the time it will never be published and only seen on sites like this.   Some photographers would say paying the extra money is a better investment.   I can't disagree.   I'm just offering another viewpoint.

Jan 27 16 08:01 pm Link