Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > How did you meet your significant other?

Model

Kelly Kooper

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Hi all,

So times are changing. Lots of people are meeting their partners online. So I'm curious and thought it was worth asking the group - how did you meet your love? How long have you been together? How did you know they were 'the one' for you?

So looking forward to reading your stories smile
Kelly

Jan 25 16 08:50 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

model mayhem.

/best answer.

Jan 25 16 09:09 pm Link

Photographer

Wicked Photos

New York, New York, US

craigslist. almost a year.

as for how did i know she was "the one".. we talked for a few weeks before actually meeting for lunch. she's easy to talk to and a fun girl. she was going thru a rough patch and i was there to help out. more talking and dates later, we were a couple. i am having a great time with her

Jan 25 16 09:15 pm Link

Photographer

ArtofWomenPhotography

Busselton, Western Australia, Australia

i meet my wife nearly 7 years ago on a booked photoshoot.

Jan 26 16 02:13 am Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Dating site.

Almost a year ago now.

Everyone I've gone out with, in the past seven years, I initially met online. When I lived in North Carolina, before 2009, there was an active youth/early 20s culture there, centered around underground-type arts events and niche-interest bars and venues. There was lots of inexpensive music and live shows/plays/music. It was also cheap to go out there and I had a really active social life.

When I moved to New England in 2008, that basically ground to a halt. The "arts" here were a more hoity-toity thing. It wasn't a bunch of people getting together to clean up and host an art show in an abandoned warehouse, then posting fliers all over town to draw a (generally large sized) audience. It wasn't a group of writers getting together and finding a free arts venue to host them, and doing a weekly critique group/round table. Basically, "culture" which was very accessible down south - and the way I always met people and sustained a social network - was totally inaccessible in the north. Up here, if you aren't in college, you're basically on your own.

I sort of found myself very alone and not doing well making friends. A lot of the folks I met in the Northeast, in daily life, were hard drug users that I had little interest in getting to know. I sought refuge in the internet, and interacted with other people that way. I also found that I liked dating sites and had good experiences using them. I've gone out with, at least once, a crap-ton of people I met on sites like OkCupid. Three of those (including the one I'm in now) turned into longer-term relationships, and a few resulted in platonic friendships.

A lot of people claim to have dating site horror stories and I've read some of these online. I never have really. Pretty much everyone I ever met online turned out to be decent, pleasant people. One person got drunk, but still, they didn't seem like a bad or scary person, just maybe someone who could do with some AA meetings. There were some generally incompatible ones too.

I'd it weren't for the internet, I probably wouldn't have gotten laid at all in the past seven years - just to be honest.

I'm sort of joking, but sort of not.

Jan 26 16 06:39 am Link

Model

CamelliaFlower

New York, New York, US

Ten years ago in middle school.

Jan 26 16 09:54 am Link

Model

Alex NW

Portland, Oregon, US

Five years ago at a bar.  On our first date we went to a strip club.  Lol now we're mellow happy homebodies.

Jan 26 16 10:24 am Link

Photographer

Ken Sanville Photo

Louisville, Colorado, US

46 years ago. We met at Melody Top summer stock theater in Milwaukee. At first she would not give me the time of day. By the end of summer we were dating. 41 years married this year.

Jan 26 16 10:27 am Link

Model

malefica

Durham, England, United Kingdom

OK Cupid. Before then, all but one of my partners were met offline in face-to-face scenarios.

Jan 26 16 10:36 am Link

Photographer

Peter Claver

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

MM, 7 years ago at the end of february.  Married a year and a half now.

Jan 26 16 12:02 pm Link

Photographer

FlirtynFun Photography

Houston, Texas, US

13 years ago on matchmaker.com. We've been married 9 years.
How did I know she was the one? She isn't jealous of my photography and she likes to fish. smile

Jan 26 16 12:09 pm Link

Photographer

phantom of the light

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

18 years ago at an AA meeting, introduced by a woman I intended to ask out.  Married 15 years and we're both still sober.

Jan 26 16 12:15 pm Link

Photographer

Mary Durante Youtt

Barnegat, New Jersey, US

Through an online dating site 11 years ago.  We met for coffee and in the conversation I found out that I met him 30+ years ago.  I worked with his ex and even went away for weekend vacation with her and their son.  Out of 8 million people in NY, I met someone whose path crossed mine.  We're married 5 years.

Jan 26 16 01:15 pm Link

Photographer

Iktan

New York, New York, US

Paolo Diavolo wrote:
model mayhem.

/best answer.

Isn't that the reason we are here on MM for? To date models?

Jan 26 16 02:10 pm Link

Photographer

Tony From Syracuse

Syracuse, New York, US

Its somethin when I see people saying they met using dating sites like match.com or okcupid.

possibly women have a different experience on dating sites then men because theres no money in it for scammers with women.
on okcupid, and if I got 6 messages in a day...guarantee at least 4 of them was a scammer/fake profile that lead to a sex site...or...even prostitutes using dating sites for customers would message me.

I imagine every woman who joins a dating site just getting their inbox blasted with pretty much tons of messages knowing how guys are lol.
whereas I've found women dont really take the initiative that much on dating sites.they probably dont have to.

Jan 26 16 03:12 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Tony From Syracuse wrote:
I imagine every woman who joins a dating site just getting their inbox blasted with pretty much tons of messages knowing how guys are lol..

This is incorrect. I did most of the initial contacting of people, most of whom I never heard back from. I got a few messages here and there, but certainly no "blast."

But then again, I intentionally only posted a photo that showed my face and it was a decidedly generic, non-sexy picture. I did that on purpose so people who didn't actually want to get to know me as a person would just leave me alone.

I also mentioned that I was seeking a long-term relationship, or a life partner. Not casual, short-term dating. I think that deterred most of anyone who'd do a "deluging" of my inbox.

Oddly enough, the person I've been with for almost a year now is one of the few people who ever contacted me first. He actually took time to write out a short, but thoughtful message and his grammar was very good. That impressed me a lot.

Jan 26 16 04:12 pm Link

Photographer

rxz

Glen Ellyn, Illinois, US

An elevator.

Jan 26 16 04:48 pm Link

Photographer

One Eye Blind

San Martin, California, US

50 years ago in college

Jan 26 16 09:12 pm Link

Photographer

joeyk

Seminole, Florida, US

Met at a photography convention, 28 years ago.

Been together 27 years.

Jan 26 16 09:46 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Koryn wrote:

This is incorrect. I did most of the initial contacting of people, most of whom I never heard back from. I got a few messages here and there, but certainly no "blast."

But then again, I intentionally only posted a photo that showed my face and it was a decidedly generic, non-sexy picture. I did that on purpose so people who didn't actually want to get to know me as a person would just leave me alone.

I also mentioned that I was seeking a long-term relationship, or a life partner. Not casual, short-term dating. I think that deterred most of anyone who'd do a "deluging" of my inbox.

Ugh I usually got really nice short messages from people who read my profile and laughed at a few things. Most of the messages on there were people who said; "hey girl", "sup", "how's your day." Etc. I specifically asked people to not send me a message if they didn't read what I said. That's like half and half.

Jan 27 16 02:05 pm Link

Photographer

Tony From Syracuse

Syracuse, New York, US

I read what you said about their messages....I have been taken by surprised how many women who are my age...they have nice profiles, and they seem accomplished and cultured...yet when they message with me they just fire off a couple short blurbs like hi how are you....and I responded back with a fairly nice amount of small talk, and again..they respond with blurbs...oh,thats nice.  its like they literally dont know how to interact with others.

Jan 27 16 02:24 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

Gerardo Martinez wrote:
Isn't that the reason we are here on MM for? To date models?

I just said MM was how I met significant others.
You're all significant to me. smile

The person that I feel closest to in the world right now, I met through MM over a year ago. We instantly bonded. Thanks MM for my best friend.

I've made so many friends through this site.
All of you amazing people.
Plus sometimes we bang. wink

Jan 27 16 05:19 pm Link

Model

Kelli

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

10 yrs ago on-line. It's hard to explain, but I had long term relationships in the past and had been proposed to by many ex's and something always made me say no, but I knew I wanted to marry to him. Married 5 almost 6 yrs.

Jan 27 16 05:49 pm Link

Photographer

scrymettet

Quebec, Quebec, Canada

in a tour bus in Africa, 25 years

Jan 27 16 05:50 pm Link

Model

Keith NYC

Tampa, Florida, US

Parkour event

Jan 27 16 05:54 pm Link

Model

Kelli

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

scrymettet wrote:
in a tour bus in Africa, 25 years

I don't think I knew that! That sounds pretty fascinating. smile

Jan 27 16 05:55 pm Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

At a church singles group, about 30 years ago and we are still together. I never even dated, or had any interest in dating, until I was well past 30.

We both belonged to the singles group for a while but never did much more than say hi because I was terribly shy. Then a friend who was in charge of staffing a church festival assigned both of us to work the little kids fish pond activity at the same time. We had the opportunity to talk for a few hours that evening, and he says he realized within minutes that we were meant to be together. It took me a little while longer to realize that was indeed true. We got married a year and a half later.

Jan 27 16 05:58 pm Link

Model

Eleanor Rose

PASO ROBLES, California, US

I met my partner in a fencing class. It was both of our first semester at college and we were best friends for a year before we started dating. We hit five years last September. smile

Jan 27 16 06:03 pm Link

Photographer

Jorge Kreimer

San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico

https://www.modelmayhem.com/1494032

I sent her a message on OK Cupid in 2010. When she tried to reply, I was already gone.

A year later, she saw me at a doctor's office. Did not say a word.

A year later, she bumps into my profile, and writes a very nice tag, so I contact her about shooting.

We had a meeting before the shoot, which ended up lasting 4 and 1/2 hours, and then we kissed.

We moved in together almost two years ago.

We are getting married next month. smile

Jan 27 16 06:09 pm Link

Photographer

TerrysPhotocountry

Rochester, New York, US

1962. A 3rd party introduced us 1970 we were married. smile And were still married.

Jan 27 16 06:17 pm Link

Photographer

scrymettet

Quebec, Quebec, Canada

Kelli wrote:

I don't think I knew that! That sounds pretty fascinating. smile

World is really small, you know

Jan 27 16 06:18 pm Link

Photographer

Varton Photography

New York, New York, US

I met my wife 32 years ago in NJ. And still married. :-)

Jan 27 16 06:20 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

I was introduced to my Ex in November, 1979 in a computer room at the University of Rochester, which is ironically the same month that my longest-running model and good friend Victoria Leigh was born.

With all honesty and hopefully not being too harsh, I wish we had never met.

Jan 27 16 06:37 pm Link

Model

CamelliaFlower

New York, New York, US

My favorite thing about OKCupid messages, aside from guys who tried "negging", were the guys who sent messages that just said "Hi" or "Hello", and nothing else. Conversation killed before it began.

I liked to send this image back to them

https://www.reactiongifs.us/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/now_what_finding_nemo.gif

Jan 28 16 01:04 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

CamelliaFlower wrote:
My favorite thing about OKCupid messages, aside from guys who tried "negging", were the guys who sent messages that just said "Hi" or "Hello", and nothing else. Conversation killed before it began.

I liked to send this image back to them

https://www.reactiongifs.us/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/now_what_finding_nemo.gif

lol

I'd totally steal this response if I could prevent my eyes from rolling so hard in the back of my head when I got those messages. tongue

Jan 28 16 02:37 am Link

Photographer

Llobet Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Never did.

Jan 28 16 04:38 am Link

Model

LauraLuna

Madrid, Madrid, Spain

I was in this literature contest in my country, in which writers read each other. Then this guy started commenting on my tales. We started chatting, commenting on each other's tales and we became friends. Then friendhsip evolve into something more and now we are together since 2007.

Jan 28 16 05:28 am Link

Photographer

Jay2G Photography

Highland, Michigan, US

I was dating a girl that wanted more than I could offer at the time. She talked me into trying a date line a local country station had because she didn't want to do it unless I did. I guess she held on to hope we could still work, I really  don't know why she wanted me to join it too.  So I did, and I had a blast for months and months, dating A LOT of different women.  Single mom's, younger girls, older women. Had some of the greatest wildest and craziest sex of my life for almost a year. Then I met my now wife of 18 years.  She was a single mom and we just clicked.  We have a son together who will be 15 in a few months.  So thats how. Young Country Date line smile

Jan 28 16 06:29 pm Link

Photographer

Warren Leimbach

Tampa, Florida, US

We met to go house hunting.

I answered a "looking for room mate" ad.
Do you have a house?  No.
Do you have a house?  No.
Shall we go house hunting together?

We have been like old married folks since day one.  Shopping for couches, making tea, indulging/supporting each other's art.
Going on 15 years now.

Jan 29 16 03:39 am Link

Photographer

All Yours Photography

Lawton, Oklahoma, US

Church youth group.  I was one of the advisors (22 years old) and she was one of the youth (14 years old).  No, none of that!  We didn't start dating until 14 years later, after she had been married and divorced.  Her daughter was my godchild (now my daughter.  Technically a step, but for all basic purposes, I'm Dad).

Married 21 years this month.

Jan 31 16 06:39 pm Link