Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Jefferson Airplane’s Paul Kantner dies at 74

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

R.I.P

The Jefferson Airplane was one of the first groups I saw when I was a teeny bopper. Gawd I feel old.

"Paul Kantner, one of the giants of the San Francisco music scene, died Thursday. Mr. Kantner, a founding member of the Jefferson Airplane, was 74 and had suffered a heart attack this week.
His death was confirmed by longtime publicist and friend, Cynthia Bowman, who said he died of multiple organ failure and septic shock.
Mr. Kantner had a string of health problems in recent years, including a heart attack in March.
With Jefferson Airplane, Mr. Kantner pioneered what became known as the San Francisco sound in the mid-1960s, with such hits as “Somebody to Love” and “White Rabbit.”
The Airplane was renowned for thrilling vocal gymnastics by singers Marty Balin, Grace Slick and Mr. Kantner, the psychedelic blues-rock sound developed by guitarist Jorma Kaukonen and bass player Jack Casady and the LSD-spiked, ’60s-era revolutionary fervor of its lyrics."

http://www.sfgate.com/music/article/Jef … 791483.php

Jan 28 16 10:09 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Laguna Beach, California, US

r.i.p, so don't take this the wrong way, but a few of these '60s through '70s rockers seem to be dying off lately. now, granted, they weren't exactly spring chickens, as they all lived to be at least (or close to) 70 years of age. i'm quite shocked a lot of these folks have made it this long, considering the damage they did to their minds/bodies.

maybe we all can learn a lesson, and just say "fuck it". you only go around once. what are you disdaining all that hedonistic living for?  another five years or so?

i was more a kaukonen fan, but r.i.p., good sir.

Jan 29 16 12:06 am Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Sigh. R.I.P Sir.

Lather.

Jan 29 16 05:29 am Link

Photographer

Evan Hiltunen

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

I saw Jefferson Starship at the Tribal Stomp - Chet Helms memorial concert at Golden Gate Park in 2005. All of the music was just a bit before my time (and I hated the Starship group of the 1980's), but I knew a lot of it and very much enjoyed the entire experience (and being right next to the stage I ended up with a lot of great pictures).

R.I.P.

Jan 29 16 07:53 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Civic Arena. Pittsburgh PA  6/1978

Jan 29 16 08:06 am Link

Photographer

Tropic Light

Kailua, Hawaii, US

RIP Paul.

Jan 29 16 08:07 am Link

Photographer

MerrillMedia

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

LOL @ feeling old - me too. I saw them at the Pallestra in Philly when I was a teenager. We got lucky to get in ahead of the crowd and were literally right ip against the front of the stage. Grace Slick was probably no more then 3 feet from me the whole time. I was deaf as hell for hours after that show!

Jan 29 16 09:51 am Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

RIP Paul,
I have seen Jefferson Starship many times, the standout shows were New Year's Eve at
SF Civic and at the Kabuki, I have a set list from the Marin shown in '84.

The Grateful Dead and Jefferson Airplane made the San Francisco soundtrack of the era.

Jan 29 16 10:17 am Link