Forums > Photography Talk > Non-DSLR video camera; Boston-area videographers?

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

OK, this is a 2-part post, and I certainly don't intend it to be spam or replace a casting call. If so, I'll remove part 2 below.

1. For my day job, I may be required to shoot more video this year, which would include computer hardware components and maintenance/installation demos (close-ups of computer parts, cabling, etc.in a secure data center environment). I have a Canon 6D already (with various lenses, of course), however, for a lot of the demos, using a DSLR requiring manual focus when shooting things pretty close up with movement (and not a lot of room for stands/tripods) makes it difficult.

I travel alone, so I can obviously only bring a certain amount of equipment with me to/from the airport (last trip to Boston, it was around 70 lbs. of gear, and I still didn't have everything I needed). Lights, multiple cameras, lenses, tripods, stands, laptop, cords, mic, recorder, batteries, etc...

Has anyone used their cell phone or a GoPro (which I also have) to do something like this--that might give better real-time, constant focus? Or is there a decent video camera for under $2,000 that could handle this as a second camera to a fixed location DSLR? I've Googled and looked at reviews, but asking for feedback if anyone has and direct experience with this kind of equipment.

2. Related to the above, I may be getting the OK to find a second person to assist me with these kind of video projects (particularly in the Boston area) that has experience. I don't want to do a casting call right now because I don't have a specific event yet, but am told it could be as much as 3-4 times a year I might need to go to Boston.

Having someone there would not only give me a second camera person, but would allow me to bring less gear (this other person would need to have some video and lighting equipment already). I know there are a lot of talented people here, and a lot shoot video for a living. Any suggestions on the best way to find an experienced local that might be willing to assist (it would pay, of course, and not trade or discounted rates--normal rates). Shoots likely last between 1-3 days. Yes, I could do a casting, but I don't know when the next event will be. I'd like to get a head start and know I have someone secured before the next one comes up.

Thoughts on either?

Feb 04 16 09:55 am Link

Photographer

Loki Studio

Royal Oak, Michigan, US

Your filming requirements indicate that a mirrorless camera such as a Sony A6000 would be ideal.  They are small and will easily hold constant focus with a touch screen interface.  Smaller and lighter cameras mean that you can use much lighter tripods and clamps to get your work done.  You can also monitor output in real time on your cell phone.

A monopod will give you good stability in small spaces and can even be balanced on your waist:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5 … nopod.html

These clamps will help you mount cameras or small lights to data center cabinets:
http://www.amazon.com/Delkin-DDMOUNT-VI … mera+clamp

Smaller LED lights like these can be put on lightstands or clamps:
http://www.amazon.com/NEEWER%C2%AE-Dimm … +light+160

The Sony A system has wireless lavalier microphones for interviews:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 … s_mic.html

Or a shotgun mic for other purposes:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control … ;A=details

You should easily be able to assemble a complete kit of 2 A6000, 3 lenses, 3 LED Videos lights, microphones, clamps, tripod, monopod, and 2 travel cases for under $2000 and under 40 lbs.

The difference between DSLR video and GoPro or iPhone video is vast, especially in low light.  A second matching camera for the wide view shot for interviews etc will edit seamlessly without any extra work.

MM, Craigslist, and Thumbtack are all good sources to look for local videographers.

Feb 05 16 06:38 am Link

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Thank you for your reply.

I have a monopod (with legs) that I used previously. It helped, but wasn't foolproof with a heavy DSLR/lens.

I also have a shotgun mic, but the environment in a data center is too loud to record audio (and have it sound good). I do already have a lav mic (that connects to a Zoom recorder).

I also used a large LED light bank and an on-camera small LED light (same as the one you linked to, actually), but the smaller light creates a lot of harsh shadows (when there are a lot of cables and such in the way), even with a diffuser.

That clamp looks interesting and could be useful (for small/light cameras, of course).

As for the A6000, I'm not really interested in another DSLR that would require heavy investment in lenses, as I already have a ton tied up in Canon (personal and work). A good $1500-$2000 HD prosumer camcorder is what I'd rather go for, as I think those would have better overall use for our video projects, as others in my group that may need to help me don't know the first thing about DSLR settings (as this goes beyond just shooting this specific type of shot I listed originally--but want something we can use for other things, as well).

Feb 05 16 07:11 am Link

Photographer

Jamez

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Thinking outside of the box here... what about an Osmo?

http://www.dji.com/product/osmo

Yes you won't be needing the stabilization **for this job**, but it's somewhat compact, you could mount it on a stand if necessary, then control it remotely with your phone (don't know the distance connection, but I think you could be within 10'), pan/tilt etc via the phone interface. It could get you in tighter spaces too.

Price comes inside the budget allowing you to spend that on lights (I'm sure you can dig up a panel with some diffusion)

Feb 05 16 08:41 am Link

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Osmo looks nice - thanks - bookmarked. Not sure if it's right for this particular use, but I can think of a ton of sues where before I would have needed a steady cam or equivalent rig. It's on my wish list.

Feb 05 16 01:46 pm Link

Photographer

Pixrbias

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Not sure where your shooting in Bean town but here is what I'd do if I where flying in to big city, Rent what i needed.  This outfit is about 20 minutes out of Boston.   https://www.lensprotogo.com/      order on line and have it shipped to location if needed.  They should have plenty of local help or look for an assistant on the ASMP site.  Lots of local talent looking for gigs.

Feb 06 16 01:18 pm Link

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

With all the money we just sent on equipment, I don't think spending more to rent is an option. Plus we shoot in more places than just Boston. That location might just be more recurring. I think it might be easier to find a reliable, good second shooter out there that has equipment, requiring me to not have to bring as much with me.

I also looking into some GoPro gimbals (like the Feiyu G4), which are much cheaper than the DJI Osmo (and some of the reviews of that aren't great), and I already have a GoPro.

Feb 06 16 08:42 pm Link

Photographer

rmcapturing

San Francisco, California, US

The GoPro does not autofocus. It's a fixed lens with fixed focus. You can get the same result with a cheap manual focus fisheye lens set to infinity.

If you want to stick with a DSLR, the 70D and 7D2 both have dual pixel AF systems. AF works great in liveview with all Canon USM lenses and it works even better with Canon's STM lenses. The 70D works a little better in the sense that you can touch the screen and it'll track and AF on whatever you touched.

Feb 07 16 01:03 am Link

Photographer

Maxximages

Los Angeles, California, US

Check out the soon to be released Sony A6300

Feb 07 16 09:35 am Link

Photographer

SKITA Studios

Boston, Massachusetts, US

You also might want to try a m4/3 cam like the GH4....less DOF, so less focus issues.  Autofocus generally isn't needed for video.  Your computer room stuff isn't exactly running away from you :-)

You might want to just ask if some folks in the area w/ gear wouldn't mind helping next time.  You're welcome to ask me because I've been meaning to try video more (I'm a software dev during the day though, so can't help much on a weekday).  I do like my GH4 so far for stills though.

Feb 07 16 07:35 pm Link

Photographer

Marc S Photography

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

A Canon Vixia HF G20 or G30 or G40 would meet your video requirements.

- Small size
- Image stabilization
- Under 2000$ US.

Feb 07 16 07:48 pm Link

Filmmaker

BrokxMedia

Maassluis, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands

Pixrbias wrote:
......Rent what i needed............

This is very sound advice.

Especially flying around lights and stands can be very heavy.
And unless you bring Dedo lights (which can be dropped without problems), there is a change the lights get broken somewhere during transportation.

As for a 2nd camera: I always at least try to use 2 identical cameras, otherwise you'll probably need to match the looks in post or accept noticable differences in contrast, color and quality.

I make videos for over 90% of the time, but I'm located across the Atlantic, so I can't help you on set.

Feb 08 16 03:51 am Link

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

SKITA Studios wrote:
You also might want to try a m4/3 cam like the GH4....less DOF, so less focus issues.  Autofocus generally isn't needed for video.  Your computer room stuff isn't exactly running away from you :-)

You might want to just ask if some folks in the area w/ gear wouldn't mind helping next time.  You're welcome to ask me because I've been meaning to try video more (I'm a software dev during the day though, so can't help much on a weekday).  I do like my GH4 so far for stills though.

The computer room stuff - well, when someone is demoing parts replacement, as in sliding components in and out at close range, then yes, it does run away a bit. smile

Feb 09 16 06:36 am Link

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I think I addressed renting in a previous post. Due to time restrictions and headache for me to have to go through it every time, and the eventual cost, it's not worth it. Easier to either have the right camera with me, or use someone local that has the right equipment. Also, we shoot video in different cities, so trying to worry about renting every time I travel is a nightmare.

Feb 09 16 06:38 am Link

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

R_Marquez wrote:
The GoPro does not autofocus. It's a fixed lens with fixed focus. You can get the same result with a cheap manual focus fisheye lens set to infinity.

If you want to stick with a DSLR, the 70D and 7D2 both have dual pixel AF systems. AF works great in liveview with all Canon USM lenses and it works even better with Canon's STM lenses. The 70D works a little better in the sense that you can touch the screen and it'll track and AF on whatever you touched.

Considering we already have 2 6D's (one mine, one is the company's), I'm not keen on getting another DSLR for video purposes. I'd prefer something made specifically for video.

Some non-GoPrpo cameras I've looked at online so far with favorable reviews:
* Sony HDRCX900 ($1300, 120fps 1080p)
* Sony FDR-AX100 (4K, $1700)
* Canon XA20 ($1800, 20x zoom, 60fps 1080p)
* Canon XA25 ($2300)

Feb 09 16 06:48 am Link

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Marc S Photography wrote:
A Canon Vixia HF G20 or G30 or G40 would meet your video requirements.

- Small size
- Image stabilization
- Under 2000$ US.

These seem like not high-end cameras, yes? I mean in terms of features, accessories mounts, etc. If I have budget to get something that has a higher FPS shooting mode (for slow motion), night shot (like the Sonys), 4K (nice, but not required), and a good optical zoom, I'd lean more towards that.

Feb 09 16 06:51 am Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Loki Studio wrote:
A monopod will give you good stability in small spaces and can even be balanced on your waist:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5 … nopod.html

I own this monopod and I have to say it's completely worthless. I'm not a fan of Manfrotto anymore and this monopod is one of the reasons why. It is VERY poorly engineered and those stick legs make the pod about as stable and easy to work with as using a wrecking ball to stabilize your camera.

There are many other monopod designs out there which use retractable legs like this which provide a much more stable platform on which to balance your camera. My biggest regret in gear purchases over the years have been purchasing anything Manfrotto. I'm already shopping around for a new Tripod to replace my existing Manfrotto piece-of-shit, and will probably go Gitzo for that but they are pretty much the same company with the same engineering philosophies so I may have to find another like Feisol.

Feb 09 16 07:35 am Link

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I used a Benro A38FD monopod (http://procam.com/benro-a38fd-series-3- … cking-base) which is great - but still not easy to balance a heavy DSLR/lens on it without shaking when shooting close-ups in a cramped space.

Feb 09 16 03:38 pm Link