Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > What should I do!!!

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

Now I need a new ink cartridge for my HP laser printer.

The cartridge is $130 from Amazon.  On the same page, the whole new printer including a cartridge is $95.  Please don't accuse me being an unnecessary waster generator.....  big_smile

Feb 15 16 08:54 pm Link

Photographer

Blue Cube Imaging

Ashland, Oregon, US

In most cases the cartridges that ship with the printers are starters with only a quarter of the ink of a refill cartridge.

On my laser printers I've been having excellent results with LINKYO aftermarket cartridges (better than OEM for 1/3 the cost). Not sure if they have them for your printer but worth a look.

Feb 15 16 09:02 pm Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

Goodwill, or Craigslist.

Feb 15 16 09:03 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

Connor Photography wrote:

The cartridge is $130 from Amazon.  On the same page, the whole new printer including a cartridge is $95.  Please don't accuse me being an unnecessary waster generator.....  big_smile

Do they still refill cartridges at Office Office (Depot Max)?

Selling ink jet printers is like giving away free heroin. They know you'll be back!

Unless you print a LOT it's cheaper to have somebody else print for you.

Like Blue Cube for instance.

Me, I just never do anything with any of it.

Feb 15 16 09:34 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

Spare printer and imported toner (figure on a 5 year useful toner shelf life) --?

It's a high markup business.

Generally the cartridges can be rebuilt (low volume) with about $10 worth of supplies (new drum, new toner etc and repackaged) in about 20 minutes.. Very messy work. If the person doing it does it right it works as well as a brand new one.

Other printer makers (Xerox, Lexmark etc) sell their own labeled new cartridges that fit most HP models.  Some new cartridges are even sold as recycled.  Cost of volume production is in the $1 to $12 range, even for the OEM.

The HP printers themselves used to be made by Canon, newer ones by Foxconn.  They always played the FUD marketing game with supplies. (Fear - Uncertainty - Doubt)

Examples
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1PK-HP-Q7553X-H … 1880078399

http://wholesaler.alibaba.com/product-d … 80353.html    (1@ $10 + 20.35 shipping  10 @$8 each plus $88.24)
http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/F … 62562.html
http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/compati … ridge.html

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/C … 01344.html
                                              ($100 for a case of 20 - shipping extra for instance)
Want your own brand?
"Packing:bulk neutral packing, color packing and customized packing ( free customized packing design )"

Feb 16 16 01:02 am Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

Connor Photography wrote:

Do you need ink for an inkjet printer or toner for a laser printer? I'm confused.

Feb 16 16 03:05 am Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

Printers, injet an laser all come with starter ink/toner less than refill. Always laughed at people buying new printers rather than just ink, wasted a lot of $$.
Not in the business of selling razors but razor blades.

Feb 16 16 06:25 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Decades ago, I worked at HP and had a project to integrate the first HP laser printer into our small business line.  At the time, the laser printer was about the size of a large kitchen refrigerator (on its side).  I think it eventually sold for something like $10,000, and my performance evaluation was one of the first official documents printed on a laser printer.

I had one of the early home laser printers (also from HP).

In both cases, the price of the printer was relatively modest -- where HP made it's huge profit was from the "consumables" (e.g. toner).  To a large extent, this is still true, for both laser & inkjet printers.  Note that inkjet cartridges are tiny (small capacity) -- there's no reason why that's true.

In any case, I'm betting that your laserjet printer is a dinosaur.  I'm also guessing that it's a B&W printer.  Affordable inkjet printers have come a long way -- their output quality is very good, and their operating costs are low.  Also, because of the competition in the marketplace, the costs of "consumables" is more reasonable.

I can't / won't make the decision for you, but I would encourage you to think about the following:

...  What do you need in this printer?  For example, do you want to use it to print B&W documents, color documents, color photos, etc.?  Want one that also does scanning & faxing?  What size paper do you want it to handle?  How well does each of your alternatives meet your needs?

...  How much do you (or will you) use the printer?  Don't just compare price -- compare COO (Cost Of Ownership) -- how much will each alternative cost you over the next year, in terms of printer cost, "consumables" cost, power consumption, etc.?

That's how I'd approach your decision.

Feb 16 16 09:25 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Bob Helm Photography wrote:
Printers, injet an laser all come with starter ink/toner less than refill. Always laughed at people buying new printers rather than just ink, wasted a lot of $$.

You're correct... for the most part, but there's a few things that are incorrect or that people should be aware of.

Canon INKJET printers always come with full size standard ink cartridges.
Most of the other brands of INKJET printers came with starter cartridges, but I think that may have changed during the past few years (not sure).

Almost every brand of laser printer comes with a starter cartridge, including Canon.
Most brands of laser pmters also require a drum replacement every so often.  Most people forget that and drum units aren't easily found in stores. The drum and toner are built into the same cartridge on Canon and HP laser printers, so you basically get a new drum every time.you get new toner.

Feb 16 16 09:25 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

sometimes you can get a new printer (but check to make sure they are normal cartridges, not "starter" ones) for the price of replacement cartridges.

for us it has never seemed economical to print our own photos. there are lots of labs that can do it cheaper than we can.

Feb 16 16 09:27 am Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

Blue Cube Imaging wrote:
In most cases the cartridges that ship with the printers are starters with only a quarter of the ink of a refill cartridge.

On my laser printers I've been having excellent results with LINKYO aftermarket cartridges (better than OEM for 1/3 the cost). Not sure if they have them for your printer but worth a look.

I checked out LINKYO on Amazon, it looks like a viable alternative.  I will order one from them.  Thanks.

Bob Helm Photography wrote:

I did not realize this practice.  It wasn't done in the old days. 

Shadow Dancer wrote:
Unless you print a LOT it's cheaper to have somebody else print for you.

It will not work for me.  At the office, we have network printers that handle large printing job. But I need my "own personal" printer at my desk for convenience and for printing confidential document.

Feb 16 16 11:06 am Link