Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > How you clean the Lens?

Photographer

walterfantauzzi

Rome, Lazio, Italy

Hi Guys,

What kind of products do you use for clean the Lens?
When I was in a NIKON center some years ago, the technical advise me to use Isopropyl Alcohol 96%. How you clean the LENS?

thanks

w.

Feb 21 16 11:05 am Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

not really - too aggressive for me, though not exactly bad, maybe ok for modern lenses.

brush and air blower first, then lens fluid:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 … t_2oz.html

also have a life-time supply (one case) of kimwipes
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/2 … x_8_5.html

Feb 21 16 11:14 am Link

Photographer

walterfantauzzi

Rome, Lazio, Italy

Leonard Gee Photography wrote:
not really - too aggressive for me, though not exactly bad, maybe ok for modern lenses.

brush and air blower first, then lens fluid:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 … t_2oz.html

also have a life-time supply (one case) of kimwipes
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/2 … x_8_5.html

Oh The zeiss lens fluid is great but for an amazing cleaning some times ago in a Nikon Center the Tech Guys say to me to use the ALCHOL ISOPROPILIC at 96%

Feb 21 16 11:39 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

My standard is Eclipse, which I also use on the sensor.

I've used some cleaners that seem water-based and seem to form a fog or haze on some Nikon nano-lenses that the Eclipse gets rid of.  Might have been some lens cleaner that is the oily type of alcohol and water mix (Nikon!  Shame on you!).  Some generic house brands, often with their names on the bottle, seem to have that stuff too.  Some alcohols don't play nice with plastics if they are creepy and sit too long to dry and maybe water spot too.

I've also used Besline Solvent and Thinner (Heptane) too in the past which many artists and drafting suppliers sell in a small gray can.  It was some old camera repairman's go-to in the past.  Evaporates very fast and doesn't streak.

One I used on microscope oculars/eyepieces was LPS PreSolve Cleaner (with a water rinse) which is some citrus-base cleaner but slow drying and smells like oranges, but it sure cuts the finger-prints left by kids who eat french-fries and pizzas and smear their microscopes all up to the point you can barely see through them.

Some good stuff here too: https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2011/0 … ng-methods

Feb 21 16 11:46 am Link

Photographer

walterfantauzzi

Rome, Lazio, Italy

GRMACK wrote:
My standard is Eclipse, which I also use on the sensor.

I've used some cleaners that seem water-based and seem to form a fog or haze on some Nikon nano-lenses that the Eclipse gets rid of.  Might have been some lens cleaner that is the oily type of alcohol and water mix (Nikon!  Shame on you!).  Some generic house brands, often with their names on the bottle, seem to have that stuff too.  Some alcohols don't play nice with plastics if they are creepy and sit too long to dry and maybe water spot too.

I've also used Besline Solvent and Thinner (Heptane) too in the past which many artists and drafting suppliers sell in a small gray can.  It was some old camera repairman's go-to in the past.  Evaporates very fast and doesn't streak.

One I used on microscope oculars/eyepieces was LPS PreSolve Cleaner (with a water rinse) which is some citrus-base cleaner but slow drying and smells like oranges, but it sure cuts the finger-prints left by kids who eat french-fires and pizzas and smear their microscopes all up to the point you can barely see through them.

Some good stuff here too: https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2011/0 … ng-methods

Oh Nice, I've Eclipse too... But I knew I could even clean the lens

Feb 21 16 11:52 am Link

Photographer

Dark Magus

El Cajon, California, US

I never put liquids on my lens. I use a micro-fiber cloth dry. They are so soft they will not damage any coatings on the lens and yet they will remove all the grit and left over crap from condensation.

Feb 21 16 04:43 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

My shirt.

Feb 21 16 06:04 pm Link

Photographer

Iktan

New York, New York, US

I dip toilet paper in Dawn soap and wipe that bad boy. All my lenses are 1000+ no fuks given.

Feb 21 16 06:16 pm Link

Photographer

Vector One Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Depends on how severe the blemish you're trying to clean. First I try to blow it off.  Then I try hot breath and lens tissue. Then I use lens cleaner and lens tissue. If I was a modern man I maybe would try one of those micro cloths.  Then there's always the cotten shirt. And my repair once told me if it's stubborn ie greased based then Windex.... sparingly.

Feb 21 16 06:22 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

If I'm at home or at work I use a brush or blower for dust and dirt, followed by a microfiber cloth. I like microfiber, because I can hand wash them and I'm a cheapass.

If I'm on the go, I blow on it and use lens tissues. I know the tissues are wasteful and less cost effective, but I don't always remember to wash those cloths.

I also have a pen-shaped tube of cleaning fluid that I carry  around. I forget the brand, but the actual fluid was streaky and awful; I dumped it out, and refilled the dispenser with something decent.

Feb 21 16 09:41 pm Link

Photographer

R.EYE.R

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

Isopropyl, but sparingly.

Feb 21 16 09:43 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Collins

Orlando, Florida, US

Dampened Q-tips (excess squeezed off) with distilled water.  Rub on to clean.  Rub off with a dry one to shine it up.

Feb 21 16 09:50 pm Link

Photographer

Llobet Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

I used to use Windex and Qtips or lens cleaning tissues.
Years ago I tested a bunch of different cleaning methods and found this one to clean the best that left no film on the lens at all.
Then I read here that the ammonia in Windex is no good for lenses.
Now I use Eclipse which I thing is OK but not as streak free as Windex.
I've tried Windex without ammonia but haven't tested the results yet. Maybe someday.

Feb 22 16 04:31 am Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

If I must in the field, I just lick my lens and clean it with T-shirt.  If at work, I  use Grade 5 (99.999%) pure nitrogen gas to blast the lens and followed by HPLC grade methanol, and wipe down with KIMWIPES.  ..............  tongue

Feb 22 16 05:29 am Link