Forums > Model Colloquy > modelling for photography workshop rate

Model

Rach W

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Hi all,
I've never been paid for my modelling skills but a photographer has approached me asking if I would model for his photography class, I was wondering what a fair rate would be to charge as he has said he will pay me? And Do I charge per hour or per session? (Located in Australia)

Feb 26 16 05:49 am Link

Model

Rose Valentina

Durham, England, United Kingdom

For workshops I've generally charged my standard hourly rate, sometimes I've been quoted a flat rate. I don't know much about rates in Australia, perhaps you could get in touch with some local models to get an idea of a good rate to charge.

Feb 26 16 07:07 am Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

You might do better to start out asking what his budget is, or what previous models have been paid for doing the workshop.

Typically I have been paid a flat rate for something like that, and the people attending were allowed to give tips as well.

Is this clothed, or nude?  Nude is usually about $25/hour higher than clothed for group shoots.

Feb 26 16 07:12 am Link

Model

Dekilah

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Workshop rates vary pretty widely, not just based on nude or clothed or other content, but also on who is hosting them, how popular they are, etc. If you can find other models in your area to ask, do that. If not, I'd ask the organizer what they normally pay and see if that suits you.

Feb 26 16 08:57 am Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

For a half-day (4-5 hr) workshop, I have earned everywhere from just over $100 to $400. It's really all over the board. I used to do a lot of workshops where pay was on spec, or how much I made depended on how many people signed up; I got a percentage.

Feb 26 16 09:49 am Link

Model

Dekilah

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Koryn wrote:
For a half-day (4-5 hr) workshop, I have earned everywhere from just over $100 to $400. It's really all over the board. I used to do a lot of workshops where pay was on spec, or how much I made depended on how many people signed up; I got a percentage.

Yep. Sometimes, at least in my area, there is a required minimum tip and that's how the model is paid. Sometimes there is the tip plus a base rate that the host pays. For example, you might get $100 as a base, but then each photographer is also required to tip you at least $25 or something. I'm just picking random numbers, but hopefully you get the idea.

Feb 26 16 10:48 am Link

Photographer

Maxfield Photography

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

As a photographer who has hired models for workshops in the past, I will tell you that sometimes we are not at liberty to haggle. There will be a budget based on the number of attendees, expenses, and price of admission, and it is what it is, take it or leave it if you will. Many times these things are determined before any model is even approached. If the photographer didn't mention rate of pay though, you certainly should negotiate. Perhaps he/she can use your fee as a starting point for determining ticket prices.

In determining your rates it would be good to ask if it's a single-shooter-at-a-time style workshop, or a paparazzi style shoot where everyone shoots at the same time. In the first type of shoot, it's probably more appropriate to charge an hourly, or a half day rate, because even though you may be there for 4 hours, any one photographer may only spend 20 minutes with you. In a paparazzi style shoot though, where 8 photographers may each get 4 hours of your time, you would be justified charging per person, or at least increase your normal hourly rate.

Feb 26 16 10:54 am Link

Photographer

JONATHAN RICHARD

New York, New York, US

This a template for  work shops that I have run in the past  in the NY and NJ USA areas and may help you arrive at an understanding what models may /can expect form booking workshops .    The workshop is an open photo-shoot  session for several booked photographers (max 4 -5 photographers per group)  . Larger groups of photographer  are split between additional models  booked to accommodate the numbers

The workshop is 4 hour  studio or suite session and  usually run on weekends between the hours of  12:00 pm to 4:00 pm.

Model Booking rates are dependent on the style of shoot they book for  and are for the full 4 hour time block session (NOT per Hour rate)  Workshop Rates are not  negotiated  rates but rates available to models who book for the workshops.
High Profile Models ( may attract a higher rate  should  photographers have an interest  to shoot with  them  and request that I schedule a  workshop with that model  )

Models booked for workshops must be at least 18 years of age.
My Workshop Model Booking Rates for  January thru December 2015

$175 USD rate- Nude session (artistic nudes, glamour /playboy style, and  erotic .. style agreed and  book for)
$125 USD rate for Topless  session
$100 USD rate  for Implied nude / lingerie session
$60 USD  rate for Swimwear session
:session = 4 hour time block

There is also the possibility to shoot private one-on-one sessions with an individual photographer from the workshop both before and after the open workshop session on the same day of the workshop.  The model rate for the pvt session is an extra $ 50  USD for each half-hour session that the model is  booked for . This is a fixed rate regardless of the style of shoot.
There  is up to 6 pvt  booking time slots available for models on the workshop day . Photographers  often book pvt  sessions  on interest with the models look and models work/portfolio.

Booked workshop  models that recruit photographers for the workshop receive a $30 finder’s fee for each photographer they recruit . The photographer cannot be one that has not previously attended the workshops.

Normally there is no MUA for these sessions, Models are required to do their own hair and makeup. You should bring your own styling for your shoots. Some of the photographers may provide you with styling , or photographers shooting pvt sessions may provide MUA and or styling.

Models booked for workshops sign a Workshop Model Release  granting limited use for the open session  workshop  (with no modifications to the release .. as this is a blanket release for all the photographers of the workshop).

Models can expect to be required  to sign a  photographers full  release for the  private sessions rates .
This is something that the model  should discuss with the photographer  and be understood  prior to the pvt shoot session.

Models must present a photo ID that validates that they are 18 years of age or older .  A photo of this ID together with photo of the model  will be maintained on file.  ID such as a government issued passport, State driver’s license, motor vehicle department ID (non-driver's license), are accepted  .

Feb 26 16 11:01 am Link

Model

Caitin Bre

Apache Junction, Arizona, US

I charge based on number of shooters. Usually because they are charging each person they work out a % that is basically the same as my charges (plus tips). Sometimes even more, I like when that happens. smile PV shoots from the shoot are at regular Hr rate.
I remember in the old days they would say this is the model fee and it got split between how many models were there. That kind of sucked. And models just stopped showing up.

Feb 26 16 11:59 am Link

Photographer

Sofia, Sofija grad, Bulgaria

Rach7478 wrote:
Hi all,
I've never been paid for my modelling skills but a photographer has approached me asking if I would model for his photography class, I was wondering what a fair rate would be to charge as he has said he will pay me? And Do I charge per hour or per session? (Located in Australia)

It would be fair to let him suggest.

Feb 26 16 01:21 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

You need to supply more information.

Who is convening the class?  Local art school?  Camera club?  Private individual? Other?

How long is the class? 

How many are attending? 

Are you being photographed (as opposed to, say, just helping demonstrate lighting)? 

If you are being photographed, who is doing the photography - class convenor, class participants, singly, together, etc?

To what use will the photographs be put?

What will you be wearing?

Feb 26 16 02:36 pm Link

Photographer

crx studios

Los Angeles, California, US

As with all transactions, you are worth what people are willing to pay - which may or may not be worth it to you.
With regard to workshops, you may find you feel more comfortable (and get better images for your portfolio) working one on one with a photographer of your choosing. In workshops, you are expected to pose for everyone, sometimes all at once, sometimes one on one, and sometimes both.

On the other hand, it can be a good way to meet several photographers at the same time, and from there figure out who you want to work with in the future.

Personally, I think the single most important thing for a beginning model to get right is choosing the best photographers she can possibly work with. It’s far more important than how much you are getting paid. You are only going to be as good as the photographers you work with.

Good luck.

Feb 26 16 08:00 pm Link

Photographer

Eric212Grapher

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Asking their budget or the pay for previous models is a good beginning.

Besides the list of questions written above, add this:

Do they expect signed model releases for each photographer there?

That could be a reason to up your asking price. I've attended one workshop where there was no model release as part of the deal, but those requesting one had to pay the model directly $20 in cash. You can decide what a fair rate is for signing a model release.

Feb 26 16 08:29 pm Link

Model

Rach W

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Thanks everyone, very helpful advice!

Feb 26 16 10:40 pm Link