Forums > Model Colloquy > Workshop modelling expectations

Model

Jennifer Thompson

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hi all,

I've just been booked for my first workshop (yay!) and while I don't want to expose how unfamiliar I am with workshop modelling, I figured it'd be better for me to ask: Is it reasonable for me to expect to get portfolio images from this? I am being paid by the workshop host, so images are more of a bonus for me. Is there a way to politely ask or suggest to people that they credit me as the model in any of the photos they take at the workshop, and/or allow me to use the photos for my portfolio?

Thanks!

Mar 02 16 10:32 am Link

Photographer

JONATHAN RICHARD

New York, New York, US

You my certainly ask the photographers participating..but don't expect that they will provide images ,
Model  credit will depend on the individual artist .The workshop release you will sign will generally not provide for either .

A  workshop release generally limits what the workshop group photographers can use the images for.
Private workshop Shoots at the workshop ( one on one shoot  )   often are arranged in advance  by the  promoter for a model and photographer booking . This time block  will have a higher booking rate paid to the model by the promoter . Photographers  shooting pvt shoots at the workshop often  require a  full  Model release granting photographers  a wider usage of imagery. This is something the model should discuss and understand.

About the only sure bet of  Model credit for the workshop photos  is if  the workshop promoters structure the workshop release to also include usage by the workshop  of the models photos for promotion of  future  workshops on the promoters  web pages. Regardless if that model will be attending or not .
This for potential future workshop  bookings with either that  model or for promotion of what photographers can expect at  a workshop shoot .
Generally the  model credit is in the form of a  Model Web page within the promoters  site showing photos of the models... some from the workshop shoots .

Model credit in the form of a Model Page on the site ... will depend on the Models Reliability and Punctuality  , how  Personable they are with people  how well the Model Photographs and the Model's Looks  ..... in that order .....and importance.

have a look here ...
https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/956158

Mar 02 16 11:29 am Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I've had people send me images from workshops before, but few and far between. I've probably modeled for more than 100 photo workshops; I'm not really sure how many. I received photos from maybe 10 of those.

When I was just starting to do nude photo modeling regularly, back around 2007, I agreed to do a couple workshops where the pay was to be in photos. I remember one of those shoots lasted 8 hours, was a 3 hour one-way commute from home, I shot with about 8-9 photographers throughout the day and one of those guys sent me a few photos.

Just be happy with your pay.

Mar 02 16 12:45 pm Link

Photographer

Marc S Photography

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

Photography work shops in the Toronto area which I have participated in generally grant the attending photographers use of the photos for self-promotion only within their own portfolio (online or in print). If you state that you would like the attendees to send you what they think is their best shot of you, a small number of them will likely send you what they think is their best image of you.

Also remember, that the attendees may well be new to photography, depending on what the work shop advertisement states as being the target attendee experience level for that workshop. That means that even if they give you their best image, it may not be good enough for your portfolio.

The work shop organizer is more than likely an experienced photographer, and if that person is also taking photos at that work shop, then you are most likely to get quality images from the organizer among all of the photographers attending, but having the organizer provide you with images from the work shop would have to be negotiated beforehand.

Mar 02 16 04:43 pm Link

Photographer

Natural Means

Yamba, New South Wales, Australia

Just say you enjoy seeing the results and have email or facebook details handy.

Mar 02 16 05:13 pm Link

Photographer

Images by MR

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Jennifer Thompson wrote:
Hi all,

I've just been booked for my first workshop (yay!) and while I don't want to expose how unfamiliar I am with workshop modelling, I figured it'd be better for me to ask: Is it reasonable for me to expect to get portfolio images from this? I am being paid by the workshop host, so images are more of a bonus for me. Is there a way to politely ask or suggest to people that they credit me as the model in any of the photos they take at the workshop, and/or allow me to use the photos for my portfolio?

Thanks!

The only thing to expect from a group shooting is $$ and to have good or bad photo's of you posted online without your control.

Mar 02 16 05:16 pm Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

Most of the workshops here in the Philippines provide a model list and photographer list and studio contact info.  It is good you are getting paid for the workshop.  Some of the workshops don't pay the models.  They are for pictures only.

Mar 02 16 06:58 pm Link

Photographer

Eric212Grapher

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Ask the workshop host for images he may take demonstrating to the others, adding you'll plug his workshops whenever you post them. He may even want to add a watermark "XYZ Workshop by Photographer X" to get added publicity fo rhis next workshop.

or

Hand out composite cards or biz cards to the attending photographer requesting images.

If some photographer wants you to pay for the images, his workshop agreement probably prohibits him from selling images. Remind him of that. But you could offer him a reduced rate if he desires to book you for a one on one session.

Don't expect images if you do not ask for them.

Remember if you do ask for some images, ten photographers will send you nearly identical images using the workshop lighting. Then when you select one to post and ignore the rest, you stomp on some photographers hurt feelings.

Mar 02 16 08:26 pm Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

photo212grapher wrote:
ten photographers will send you nearly identical images using the workshop lighting.

They usually boring and not very good.  It is a workshop to explore and not to create a master piece.

Mar 02 16 09:03 pm Link

Model

Jennifer Thompson

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'm meeting the host photographer tomorrow to go over details so I'll certainly bring up photo usage, and I'll bring my comps to the workshop and let the attendees know my contact/credit info. Thank you all for your input!

Mar 03 16 07:10 am Link

Photographer

Mark Ruddick

London, Ontario, Canada

Hand out your contact info on the model release or a have a business card. Most photographers will send an image or two if they can contact the model easily enough. Plus, it's a good business practice.

Mar 03 16 09:16 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Jennifer Thompson wrote:
I'm meeting the host photographer tomorrow to go over details so I'll certainly bring up photo usage, and I'll bring my comps to the workshop and let the attendees know my contact/credit info. Thank you all for your input!

There are many different styles of workshops.  Sometimes there is constant light and all of the photographers will shoot at once.  Expect lots of direction.  If strobes are used, the photographers will be forced to shoot one at a time.  You should see the model release in advance. 

Models have said that you are unlikely to get images but the host should instruct the photographers.  Also, the host should instruct the photographers as to what name to use when crediting you.  Sometimes models write this on the release.

You should always discuss these things in advance.

Comps? To hand out?  There are differences of opinion on this but I prefer business cards - easier to file.

Mar 03 16 09:24 am Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I paid a model one time in a workshop, (only time.) I also gave her photos too. I'm a model, I know I want pictures myself. smile

I didn't give her much but we only shot briefly and it was my first time. (my photo profile- https://www.modelmayhem.com/3266092 )

Mar 04 16 05:24 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Karlsen

Gloversville, New York, US

I haven't been to a workshop in many years, mainly just because there aren't any that don't require extensive travel from where I now live. In the past I would have sent samples to models BUT there was no way to easily contact them!  Workshop sponsors were rather protective of their models (rightfully so) so the only way to send images would have been through the sponsor.  Not a very easy way to do things.  A simple business card (inexpensive ones from Staples or others) with just a email address would have been great from the models.  I think they would have gotten many more images from the shoot and likely more work from individual photographers.  Models would have the option of working individually with someone or not without sharing too much personal information.

Mar 21 16 08:16 am Link