Forums > General Industry > Oh to be the aging model....

Model

Angela Smeraldi

San Diego, California, US

Hello all!

So this has always been a question of mine, as I find myself entering into the "ancient" category of the modeling world.  *sigh*  Most photographers - of course depending on the theme of the shoot - want young, fresh faces to shoot.  Many casting calls require a model to be a certain age.  I find many to be 25 years or younger.  In my case, as many other women, I am lucky to have a somewhat youthful appearance for my age.  So the question is, does age really matter if you look younger than you are?  I have been tempted to go to casting calls that require models to be younger than I am, if I felt I look that age. I wouldn't lie about my age, but I feel that age shouldn't matter if you look the part.  smile Not to mention, sometimes it's nice to have a more experienced, more professional model that still fits the physical requirements.  What do you think?  smile

Mar 18 16 03:35 pm Link

Photographer

Don Garrett

Escondido, California, US

My very favorite model, EVER, was 45, and had born two kids, at the time of the shoot, https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/1005854 . She was a Thai woman, whom I had met in a local Thai restaurant, in Hillcrest.
-Don

Mar 18 16 04:09 pm Link

Photographer

Maxximages

Los Angeles, California, US

Go to the castings, what do you have to lose?

Mar 18 16 04:20 pm Link

Photographer

Top Gun Digital

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I can't speak for anyone else, but I regard photography as a visual medium so appearance means more to me than age.  I know models in their 40's that are more attractive than women half their age.  In most cases they also have far more experience and are better models as well.  If you think you can play the part by all means go for it.

Mar 18 16 04:27 pm Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

Angela Smeraldi  wrote:
Hello all!

So this has always been a question of mine, as I find myself entering into the "ancient" category of the modeling world.  *sigh*  Most photographers - of course depending on the theme of the shoot - want young, fresh faces to shoot.  Many casting calls require a model to be a certain age.  I find many to be 25 years or younger.

If you are talking about interweb modeling where you model for hobbiest photographers. Then yes, younger ones are the primes candidates in high demand. However, in the real world of modeling...let's just look at the the biggest spending power women age group. They are the 40's women. You would assume advertisers would target those with messages and images that they can relate to.

The modeling world is not just limited to some hot young chicks with the so-called expressionless sexy stoned look

Mar 18 16 04:39 pm Link

Model

Dekilah

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I'll be turning 32 this year. I didn't start modeling until I was 24 or 25 so I was already too old for some people. I've come across a profile or two within my genres (nudes and glamour) that specifically stated that those over 25 need not even bother contacting that photographer. A lot of photographers seem pleased with how professional and dependable I am and I think a lot of that comes from the fact that I came into this a bit older so I already had common sense and was a bit more mature in my behavior. The vast majority of photographers I've had any contact with haven't minded my age or even asked other than to check that I'm over 18. I'm sure others have over looked me because of my age, but they never contacted me at all so I can't really sure of how often or how many. Granted, my genres are less age specific than, say, fashion.

Here is a recent photo of me (shot over the Christmas holidays), no retouching or editing, minimal makeup:
https://instagram.fdtw1-1.fna.fbcdn.net … 1790_n.jpg

Mar 18 16 04:40 pm Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

the model in my port is 46! if youd like to see what a mature model can do?... browse by age n youll be very surprised to see at your ripe old age of 31 is a joke. youre still a kid.

angie angelina 46....
https://www.modelmayhem.com/2522716

Mar 18 16 04:46 pm Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

In the acting world they use the phrase "plays age … to …"  instead of stating their real age.  I also find that better since many younger actors play older and a few seem younger.  I am happy with any age model that can emote well and act professionally (on time, returns calls, etc.).

Mar 18 16 04:46 pm Link

Photographer

Expression Unlimited

Oceanside, California, US

Sure, they want a look, if you have it, go try out. Saying you are 45 is a pointless pigeon hole - if you look under 35!

Mar 18 16 05:25 pm Link

Photographer

g2-new photographics

Boston, Massachusetts, US

For a variety of reasons, I'm now mainly interested in models around 30 or above.  The model in my avatar (Mayan Lee) - if I remember correctly - was in her 40s when we did the photosession.

If you want to model, regardless of age, there will be photographers who will happily work with you.

smile

Mar 18 16 05:52 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Karlsen

Gloversville, New York, US

Actually I seem to have the opposite problem!  I am not in the best area for finding models in general (upstate NY) and since I do mostly nudes it is even harder.  For me older models are the scarcest!  Most tend to be in the 18 to 21 range.  Sometimes over 25 but rarely over 30.  In big cities there seems to be an abundance of "wanna be" models of all ages.  Up here it is mostly younger women either trying it just for the pay (jobs are scarce all over upstate NY, (you almost need a college degree to work at McDonalds!) or just doing something that satisfies the urge to try something  "wild and crazy".  When you do find more Mature models, they are usually just looking to check off an item on their "bucket list".  Found some great subjects that way but usually one at most two sessions is all they are really interested in.  One of the best models I have ever shot with was in her mid 40's or so ( https://www.modelmayhem.com/124178 ) wish she was still active??  Any over 30 models looking for work, Come on up here!!!!!

Mar 18 16 07:12 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Top Gun Digital wrote:
I can't speak for anyone else, but I regard photography as a visual medium so appearance means more to me than age.  I know models in their 40's that are more attractive than women half their age.  In most cases they also have far more experience and are better models as well.  If you think you can play the part by all means go for it.

<3

Damn straight

Mar 18 16 07:40 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Angela Smeraldi  wrote:
Hello all!

....So this has always been a question of mine, as I find myself entering into the "ancient" category of the modeling world.  *sigh*  Most photographers - of course depending on the theme of the shoot - want young, fresh faces to shoot.  Many casting calls require a model to be a certain age.  I find many to be 25 years or younger.  In my case, as many other women, I am lucky to have a somewhat youthful appearance for my age.  So the question is, does age really matter if you look younger than you are?  I have been tempted to go to casting calls that require models to be younger than I am, if I felt I look that age. I wouldn't lie about my age, but I feel that age shouldn't matter if you look the part.  smile Not to mention, sometimes it's nice to have a more experienced, more professional model that still fits the physical requirements.  What do you think?  smile

Age only matters if you are trying to hide it, otherwise, it is only a factor like any other, (height, weight, hair color and so on.)

If you have aged out of your previous category, just keep plugging along because pretty soon you will be the new kid on the block in your new age category!! I know probably doesn't help any. Best I can suggest is to let your work speak for your age and let your personality and reputation lead the way to recommendations that you might not catch otherwise.

Jen

Mar 18 16 08:25 pm Link

Photographer

WisconsinArt

Nashotah, Wisconsin, US

Do what many other models do: lie about their age.

Regardless, you can eat crackers in my studio anytime. :-)

Mar 18 16 09:13 pm Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

San Diego, California, US

That's why many model's zed cards will say "Age range-" meaning that's the range they think they can
pull off. If you honestly think you can fit the age called for in the casting, go ahead. But skin quality
is very obvious, so be honest with yourself. Appearance is everything so actual age doesn't matter as much.
By that token, there could be a 21 year tweaker that could play a 45 year old, no problem.  lol

Mar 18 16 09:42 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Angela Smeraldi  wrote:
Hello all!

So this has always been a question of mine, as I find myself entering into the "ancient" category of the modeling world.  *sigh*  Most photographers - of course depending on the theme of the shoot - want young, fresh faces to shoot.  Many casting calls require a model to be a certain age.  I find many to be 25 years or younger.  In my case, as many other women, I am lucky to have a somewhat youthful appearance for my age.  So the question is, does age really matter if you look younger than you are?  I have been tempted to go to casting calls that require models to be younger than I am, if I felt I look that age. I wouldn't lie about my age, but I feel that age shouldn't matter if you look the part.  smile Not to mention, sometimes it's nice to have a more experienced, more professional model that still fits the physical requirements.  What do you think?  smile

You have a great look!  I would photograph you...smile

Mar 18 16 11:38 pm Link

Photographer

Eros Fine Art Photo

Torrance, California, US

I'd shoot with you, even if it was something like fashion or editorial.  I think you have nice features and a good look. 

I normally don't concern myself with how old a model is; I just want someone who can pose and emote well in front of the camera.

Mar 18 16 11:40 pm Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

I say go for it, you won't know unless you try. I didn't even start modelling until I was about 35 and at that time I did not look my age and was offered assignments based on ability to do the work and an appearance similar to what they were seeking.

But I have also learned that the opportunities increase with age, partly due to the fact that many models decide not to continue after a certain age, leaving the field wide open for those of us who do.

Mar 19 16 07:56 am Link

Photographer

Electroglow

Elk Grove, California, US

Angela Smeraldi  wrote:
So the question is, does age really matter if you look younger than you are?  I have been tempted to go to casting calls that require models to be younger than I am, if I felt I look that age. I wouldn't lie about my age, but I feel that age shouldn't matter if you look the part.  smile Not to mention, sometimes it's nice to have a more experienced, more professional model that still fits the physical requirements.  What do you think?  smile

Looking at your portfolio, I wouldn't have guessed that you're in your 30s and, if you were in my neck of the woods, I'd shoot with you in a heartbeat even if you were in your 40s.  If I were you, I'd respond to those casting calls and hopefully make some great opportunities for yourself.

Personally, I don't have an age requirement. I'm far more concerned with finding someone reliable and responsive, isn't going to flake on me, and is well represented by her current portfolio.  The reliability issue seems to be very prevalent among the younger models and, although I haven't actually had an opportunity to shoot with anyone over 30, I suspect that they have a much more professional attitude and would generally be more reliable/responsive than the younger ones.  I'm basing that mostly on my many dealings with vocalists and other musicians, what I've read here on MM, and my own dealings with younger models.

Mar 19 16 07:59 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Some models look younger than their age.
Some models think they look younger than their age.

Like many -- I go by appearances, not numbers.
In general, models who are confident appeal to me, and part of that confidence is being who they are, not being who they think that can fool you to me.

(Then again, I'm a 60 something guy wearing baggy shorts down around my hips, and my baseball cap is on backwards).

Mar 19 16 08:14 am Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

Age is a number - a number you can't catch in an image.

If you really can pull off younger - make it clear you can play to that range.

But, you have age and experience - and that along puts you in a different class, than the fluffy newbies and wannabes.

What you worry about as a liability - may play as a strength, as you go forward.

Mar 19 16 08:21 am Link

Photographer

John Fisher

Miami Beach, Florida, US

https://www.johnfisher.com/images/commercial1.jpg
Angela Briggs for DJ Resort Wear

In truth most paid modeling work is commercial modeling. The model plays a character (young mom, business executive, teacher, etc.), so age and height are less a consideration than they are with editorial modeling. Now. in major markets like New York, many  of the models listed by commercial agencies are former editorial models (who have gotten older without establishing a brand).

You are trim, attractive, and if listed with a good commercial agency I have no doubt that you will find work. Age may actually work in your favor under certain circumstances. It's hard to use a young model when you are selling luxury goods or services. Many years ago when I was doing work for Harley-Davidson I was given their style book which outlined the typical person they thought worked best n their ads. The men were to appear to be in their fifties, the women were supposed to look like they were in their mid thirties. This makes sense when you realize the products they are selling are high end leather clothing, and motorcycles that sell for tens of thousands of dollars. (This same idea would be true advertising high end real estate, expensive restaurants, or vacation cruises.)

In this country, liquor, beer and cigarette advertising require that the models be over 25. (This is not a legal requirement, but most companies follow these guidelines.) So yes, those "college students" partying hardy in those beer ads are all over twenty five! I have a good friend who is over thirty, has a six year old child, and if you see a "Buns Of Steel" ad, or a Budweiser bar party ad, there she is! (Really, I see her on TV all the time!)

So, put your marketing materials together, find a good agency, and best of luck!

John

Mar 19 16 09:01 am Link

Model

Caitin Bre

Apache Junction, Arizona, US

Angela Smeraldi  wrote:
Hello all!

In many cases when a photographer puts a age limit he may be cutting off his nose in spite of his face. Most all busy models will age very nicely. And look younger than they are.
There is no shortage of photographers that prefer to work with older models.

Mar 19 16 11:56 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Angela, you are not "ancient" or too old as I'm sure you don't have an expiration date stamped on you anywhere.   You have a youthful, yet sophisticated and therefore a commercial look.  I'm old school.  I'm one who likes to meet in person, or at least talk on the phone before shooting.  So I say to you that you should go to the casting calls.   The worst that can happen is getting rejected, but that can happen with any age. 

Going to casting calls shows that you are eager to work, and less likely to flake.  I notice the youth today depending so much on cellphones, texting and messaging on the Internet, while getting passed over because someone else took their eyes off the screen long enough to make the effort to get out there.  The younger models are more likely to find a need to postpone or cancel shoots.  That is why since I do work with models of a wide age range, I value maturity in a model.

Mar 19 16 12:02 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I have worked with models up to 50 years old.

Mar 19 16 12:09 pm Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

Nope, your (modeling) life is over  .  .  .  you've crested the hill, and are careening down the other side  .  .  .  which means ya kin finally shoot with someone like me, who doesn't give a rats behind how old ya are, so long as you have energy, and attitude to go along with that wonderful look  .  .  .  wink  I regularly work with "ancient" models, in their 30's and 40's, you're welcome in front of my lens anytime  .  .  .

SOS

Mar 19 16 01:19 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

Yep, the upper and lower end of modelling is now closed to you. That is, sample size teenage girls that look like teenage boys, and guys that want to shoot pretty young coeds.

Everything else is unaffected, and will be for another 10-30 years, depending on how you age. 'Everything else' being how most models on this site earn their pay.

Unless you used to be a runway or editorial model, it seems like it's business as usual for you. And if you were ... Well, time marches on, and there's nothing you can do. That's just the business. We can complain all we want, but since the whole purpose of the fashion industry is to convince people that they can look young and cool, I don't see that changing.

For what it's worth, I'm only a year older than you, and I went nuts when I hit 30. And again at 31, because 30 almost counts as your 20s. Then I realized that nobody really gave a shit, and eventually I didn't either.

Mar 19 16 06:48 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
Some models look younger than their age.
Some models think they look younger than their age.

Truth.

I figure a model can tell if she keeps getting cast with people much younger than she/he.
That's the reality.

If they don't, who cares?  There is commercial work (including fashion) that can pay a shit-ton.

Mar 19 16 07:04 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Mar 19 16 07:12 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Angela Smeraldi  wrote:
Hello all!

MEH!

You are not a little girl so...

But

You

Are

Gorgeous.

Mar 19 16 07:34 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Jules NYC wrote:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/94/89/86/948986b6802f57f7f3d3a3f68e4029a7.jpg

http://imgur.com/gallery/NJuDX

As soon as I get some more white-silver-greys in I'm going for this beautiful color, or the Emmylou Harris white too, love it!! Mine is definitely coming in though, some full length shocks of white hidden in here.

OP, your a young one, keep going if you like!

Jen

Mar 19 16 07:59 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Jen B wrote:

As soon as I get some more white-silver-greys in I'm going for this beautiful color, or the Emmylou Harris white too, love it!! Mine is definitely coming in though, some full length shocks of white hidden in here.

OP, your a young one, keep going if you like!

Jen

You would rock that hair color Miss Jen!

Mar 20 16 01:56 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Carmen Dell’Orefice ... just my God.
I honestly just 'knew' her as a gorgeous 84 year old who had to go back to modeling after the Bernie Madoff Ponzi scheme.
A model that didn't 'have' to work again but could... and did.

This woman just oozed class & sophistication even as a younger model.

First Vogue cover:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/28/b5/51/28b55112c0b2337327d5cafff1d632fe.jpg

& 84... working model.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/25/35/04/2535049fe4d6e6d91c1250bf8625ab58.jpg

Mar 20 16 02:01 am Link

Photographer

Sichenze Photography

Powhatan, Virginia, US

It is all about the look the photographer is going for. If it is teen clothing, then you are too old but if it is a more sophisticated look then you are great.  If it is really anything but a teen style shoot, then age does not matter and looks do as well as the smile.

Mar 20 16 08:13 am Link

Model

Michelle Genevieve

Gaithersburg, Maryland, US

Maxximages wrote:
Go to the castings, what do you have to lose?

This.

My agent has sent me to auditions for roles that call for a woman in her 30's. Not that I think they're right about that, but I go anyway. Nothing to lose, and at least I gain audition experience and maybe make a professional contact.

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
I have worked with models to to 50 years old.

Pfft! Kids! I am turning 58 on Friday, and I'm still going after whatever gig I want. You should as well.

Mar 20 16 10:25 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Michelle Genevieve wrote:

This.

My agent has sent me to auditions for roles that call for a woman in her 30's. Not that I think they're right about that, but I go anyway. Nothing to lose, and at least I gain audition experience and maybe make a professional contact.

Pfft! Kids! I am turning 58 on Friday, and I'm still going after whatever gig I want. You should as well.

You look great!   smile

Mar 20 16 10:33 am Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

31 is far from old. I am 49 and get more offers now than when I started 4 years ago.

Mar 20 16 10:42 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Isis22 wrote:
31 is far from old. I am 49 and get more offers now than when I started 4 years ago.

Congratulations!  smile

Mar 20 16 11:16 am Link

Photographer

Hank Shiffman

Mountain View, California, US

It's all a question of what the photographer needs, or thinks he or she needs.  Me, I shoot what I like and sell through microstock agencies.  Variety works for me: variety of ages, ethnicities, body types.  My oldest model was 52, and I'd love to shoot with someone older if the opportunity arises.  You would be perfect for my portfolio if only you were closer.

Mar 20 16 12:42 pm Link

Model

Caitin Bre

Apache Junction, Arizona, US

Jules NYC wrote:

Truth.

I figure a model can tell if she keeps getting cast with people much younger than she/he.
That's the reality.

If they don't, who cares?  There is commercial work (including fashion) that can pay a shit-ton.

It is kind of funny and fun to get gigs with photographers half my age. It happens a lot. It has been happening for sometime now. The fun part is learning the new lingual and expressions. At 1st I took offense to being called a cougar or Stacie's mom. Now its a good chuckle. Even though I think I am a bit young to be called a cougar.
But none the less the pay is good and the creativity these young photographers have are game changers. They do make me feel good and never too old.
I was called Stacie's mom at a group shoot and got the uncontrollable giggles for a hour... lol
Business is still very good. In my experience the younger photographers are less hung up on age than the older ones. Not really sure why...

Mar 20 16 12:50 pm Link