JOBSTOWN, New Jersey, US

Monday night 4/4 HBO takes a look at the work of Robert Mapplethorpe

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/01/arts/ … .html?_r=0

Gonna watch ?

Apr 01 16 08:35 am Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

I kain't  .  .  .  my mom won't lemme look at "those" kinda pitchers  .  .  .  wink  Should be an interesting show, so much controversy at the time, wouldn't miss it  .  .  .

SOS

Apr 01 16 08:48 am Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Stamford, Connecticut, US

Absolutely.

Apr 01 16 08:49 am Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

I would but no HBO

Apr 01 16 12:01 pm Link

Photographer

AndysPrints

Falls Church, Virginia, US

Not a fan. Won't be tuning in.

Apr 01 16 03:24 pm Link

Photographer

Frank Lewis Photography

Winter Park, Florida, US

I would watch the program but don't have HBO.

Apr 01 16 03:31 pm Link

Photographer

henrybutz New York

Ronkonkoma, New York, US

I'm a big fan of Mapplethorpe, from an era when photography was art.

HBO offers on-demand now.  https://order.hbonow.com/

Apr 04 16 03:42 am Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

I would watch but it's not available here.  He was pretty famous around the time I was working for art galleries in the 80s.  He was definitely one of the gods of photography back then.

Apr 04 16 08:09 am Link

Photographer

Rob Sinkus Photography

JOBSTOWN, New Jersey, US

For those who have HBO, the show debuts tonight at 9pm. EST

Apr 04 16 11:40 am Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

martin b wrote:
I would watch but it's not available here.  He was pretty famous around the time I was working for art galleries in the 80s.  He was definitely one of the gods of photography back then.

I recently re-read the Patti Smith autobiography, "Just Kids."  If you've never read it, you should give it a read.  Great book with a lot of insight.

Apr 04 16 11:43 am Link

Photographer

martin b

Giacomo Cirrincioni wrote:

I recently re-read the Patti Smith autobiography, "Just Kids."  If you've never read it, you should give it a read.  Great book with a lot of insight.

Thanks,  I will look for it.  Is that the singer?

Apr 04 16 06:44 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Sinkus Photography

JOBSTOWN, New Jersey, US

martin b wrote:

Thanks,  I will look for it.  Is that the singer?

Yes, that's Patty Smith the singer. She lived with Mapplethorpe when they were in school.

Apr 05 16 06:11 am Link

Photographer

martin b

Thanks for the info.

Apr 05 16 06:57 am Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

They were exceptionally close, each being each others first real loves.  They were highly devoted to each other for years.  In a way, each was somewhat responsible for the other's success.  If you have a digital reader or tablet, you can buy the e-book on Amazon (as well as the printed version).

Apr 05 16 09:06 am Link

Photographer

Rob Sinkus Photography

JOBSTOWN, New Jersey, US

His biography was a good read & pretty cheap on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Mapplethorpe-Biog … pplethorpe

Apr 05 16 11:05 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

I finally caught that show.  Some thoughts, in random order:

...  I think he was a photographic influence on me, certainly later on (I started photography in the 60s).  Some of those portraits from "Some Women" inspired me to consider doing some studio portraiture.  His photo of Susan Sarandon was a particular favorite.

...  For me, his homoerotic S&M images were difficult to look at.  At the same time, many of Diane Arbus' photos were difficult to look at, too, and Arbus was / is a significant influence for me.

...  He didn't set out to "make" art; he set out to "live" art, and his photography had a lot to do with his life.  I remember when I was just getting started -- I carried my camera everywhere, and I was always snapping pictures of the people & places around me.  Now, I do carry my camera everywhere, but it tends to stay in the camera bag too much, even though digital images are so much easier to process.  Today, I'm planning to strap my camera to my wrist & not return home until I make X number of exposures.  Wish me luck.

...  I remember the chaos of the government working hard to shut his shows down, even including the discussions in Congress.  I remember forming the opinion:  If you don't like it, you don't have to look at it.  Nobody was surprised by his homoerotic images when they went to a gallery show -- if you didn't want to see those images, they were exceedingly easy to avoid.  But who has the right to say "This is Art" and "This is not Art"?  Who has the right to decide what I can or can't look at.

...  I remember the 70s & 80s.  Then, homosexuality was almost universally considered a perversion, and in many places, it was considered a crime.  To a lesser extent, this is still true.  I, however, knew gay people in college and I respected them enough to keep my nose out of their bedrooms.  It's not like I'm impacted by who two other people choose to love.  It still makes me sad.

...  I think it was people like Mapplethorpe who inspired me to think about whether sexually explicit photographs can be made with artistic aesthetics.  It's a challenge.

Mapplethorpe lived a hard life, which was over too soon. 

I'd rate the show a "B-" -- I think it focused a lot on his homosexuality and not enough on his flowers & portraits.  But it was educational.

Apr 09 16 07:54 am Link

Photographer

Rob Sinkus Photography

JOBSTOWN, New Jersey, US

Well stated & good luck on making your X number of images each day. I strive for one a day.

Apr 09 16 10:19 am Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

Los Angeles, California, US

I noticed one of his models in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRgj3hJr7cA

Apr 09 16 10:26 am Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

Fascinating, thank you for sharing.

It was a rather amazing look at a remarkable artist.

Considering that there were, and probably still are, those who say that his work was not art, but I don't now how anyone who actually understands and appreciates art cannot look at this presentation and see it any differently.

I wish, I hope, younger generations could look at something like this and reflect a bit more on the 70's and 80's , and look at just how remarkably this country has changed, but sadly, in many ways this country has not changed at all, especially in terms of prejudices.

Thank goodness we are having these documentaries.   

Not just from an artistic standpoint, I would love to see more people watch and find a greater appreciation, as we need to find more appreciation for humanity, for our artists, for creative souls even when too many will judge with closed minds and rationalizations of discrimination and censorship.

Totally worth watching, and I truly hope many of the 20-somethings will watch.

I especially loved the examples of the attention to detail, and photography being sculpture.

Remarkable.

Apr 13 16 01:27 am Link

Photographer

henrybutz New York

Ronkonkoma, New York, US

I wished the film was longer.  There is a lot more detail in the book, Assault with a Deadly Camera.  Imagine a time when producing a few dirty pictures caused a stir in Washington D.C.  I can only hope to one day cause that much trouble.  Looking back on those photographs I can't imagine what all the excitement was about.  Someone started the rumor that tax dollars were going to support him when Mapplethorpe never took a dime of NEA grant money.

The most depressing part was that the value of his work didn't really start to increase until he was diagnosed terminally ill.

I was in a gallery in NYC and saw first-hand Man In Polyester Suit.  It wasn't signed or numbered, selling for under $2k.  I thought for a long while about buying it but couldn't afford it at the time.

Apr 13 16 12:53 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Y'know -- I was thinking about this a bit -- consider this a tangent.

Mapplethorpe didn't photography models -- he photographed his friends & lovers.  He didn't play at homoerotic S&M -- that was how he expressed his sexual self. 

I remember, in my youth, that I carried my camera all over the place, and I photographed the people I was hanging out with.  At some point, that wasn't enough, and instead of photographing friends & lovers, I transitioned to photographing models.  I wonder -- did my photography suffer because of that unconscious decision?

Thoughts?

Apr 13 16 01:25 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Sinkus Photography

JOBSTOWN, New Jersey, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
Y'know -- I was think about this a bit -- consider this a tangent.

Mapplethorpe didn't photography models -- he photographed his friends & lovers.  He didn't play at homoerotic S&M -- that was how he expressed his sexual self. 

I remember, in my youth, that I carried my camera all over the place, and I photographed the people I was hanging out with.  At some point, that wasn't enough, and instead of photographing friends & lovers, I transitioned to photographing models.  I wonder -- did my photography suffer because of that unconscious decision?

Thoughts?

I was another with the camera surgically attached in my youth. I keep thinking I need to get back to that. With digital now, I have no excuse

Apr 13 16 05:04 pm Link