Forums > General Industry > How to approach photographers about collaborating?

Makeup Artist

beautybykatealece

Sacramento, California, US

I'm looking to grow my portfolio and I'm willing to apply makeup on models for free, and eventually collaborating and being an artist they know and could recommend to clients. The only issue is I don't know how to approach the subject. I feel like it's rude to randomly message photographers and say "Hey! I'd like to work with you!" I could be totally wrong though. Wanted to hear opinions from makeup artists and photographers on here. TIA!

Apr 09 16 05:02 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Are you kidding. Photographers would jump at the opportunity to have an MUA available to them if need be. And as long as you are willing to garage or charge a nominal kit fee then yeah... Start finding the photographers that you would like to have your work associated with and send them a message and then let them know.

Apr 09 16 05:14 pm Link

Makeup Artist

beautybykatealece

Sacramento, California, US

For me a big part of it is not knowing whether or not they are already connected to a makeup artist. I see a lot of photographers in my area (photographers hired for families, senior portraits, etc) offer makeup services in their pricing. I don't want to infringe on another persons work, but maybe I'm being to nice.

Apr 09 16 05:40 pm Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

beautybykatealece wrote:
For me a big part of it is not knowing whether or not they are already connected to a makeup artist. I see a lot of photographers in my area (photographers hired for families, senior portraits, etc) offer makeup services in their pricing. I don't want to infringe on another persons work, but maybe I'm being to nice.

These are business relationships, not marriages--Everyone is always looking around for a better deal. or at least should be, and there's nothing wrong with a well-phrased inquiry to determine whether you and he (or she) would make a good team.  Just don't beat a dead horse.  If one photographer (or a dozen) doesn't respond, just go on to the next.  You can always go through the list again in a year or so if need be. 

As far as infringing on someone else's relationship, if it can be infringed upon, then that relationship is already in trouble and one or the other person is already dissatisfied with the product being made.  Needs do change over time.

All IMHO as always, of course.

Apr 09 16 05:48 pm Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Los Angeles, California, US

beautybykatealece wrote:
I'm looking to grow my portfolio and I'm willing to apply makeup on models for free, and eventually collaborating and being an artist they know and could recommend to clients. The only issue is I don't know how to approach the subject. I feel like it's rude to randomly message photographers and say "Hey! I'd like to work with you!" I could be totally wrong though. Wanted to hear opinions from makeup artists and photographers on here. TIA!

OP....I have heard...though not sure,  but a simplistic ....Hello My Name Is....

Apr 09 16 05:55 pm Link

Photographer

Jorge Kreimer

San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico

beautybykatealece wrote:

It could happen that their MUA can't make it one day, and they'll be looking for a replacement.

Apr 09 16 06:44 pm Link

Photographer

David T Thrower

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Absolutely contact them. I am just getting started and have had an impossible time getting stylists/MUAs to even answer my messages. I would cry tears of joy to have one contact me! I'm across the country or you would have gotten a letter from ME instead of this reply. wink

Apr 10 16 03:39 am Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

beautybykatealece wrote:
I don't want to infringe on another persons work, but maybe I'm being to nice.

You are certainly being too hesitant.

Apr 10 16 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

GeM Photographic

Racine, Wisconsin, US

Just send them a message (PM, email, carrier pigeons, whatever) and make contact.

Apr 10 16 04:21 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

There's absolutely no harm and everything to gain by asking. Be polite and direct, but unassuming. Who could ever take offense to that?

I feel like it's rude to randomly message photographers and say "Hey! I'd like to work with you!"

Then don't make it sound random. Include a comment about their work, say, a specific image, and why you like it.

Apr 10 16 04:28 pm Link

Photographer

Maxfield Photography

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

beautybykatealece wrote:
I feel like it's rude to randomly message photographers and say "Hey! I'd like to work with you!" I could be totally wrong though.

If that is the case, then I'm coming up on 11 years of rudeness. I don't always get a yes (although you'd probably be surprised just how high my success rate is), but I haven't noticed any repercussions yet.

Apr 10 16 05:36 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

beautybykatealece wrote:

I understand your concern, but it's good that you ask.  I would jump at the chance to collaborate with a makeup artist.  Typically I've given the models a choice of either doing their own make up, having someone they know do it, or for myself to pay for a MUA which often times means going to the MAC counter.  I do know of models in your neighborhood (Roseville/Sacramento area) that I believe would welcome your assistance.  Sometimes models will pay you, and sometimes the photographers will.  It is important to me that makeup be done correctly because I am not one who likes to spend much time in post production.

Apr 10 16 05:44 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

David T Thrower wrote:
Absolutely contact them. I am just getting started and have had an impossible time getting stylists/MUAs to even answer my messages. I would cry tears of joy to have one contact me! I'm across the country or you would have gotten a letter from ME instead of this reply. wink

I hear ya!  She is not all that far from me, and the OP lives very close to where a model I did work with in the San Jose area has moved.  I even know models I'd like to work with in the Sacramento area that may benefit from her MU abilities.

Apr 10 16 05:47 pm Link

Photographer

DaveDavis

Manteca, California, US

beautybykatealece wrote:

This site works best if you're direct and professional. I say just go for it. What is the worst they can do?

Dave

Apr 10 16 07:50 pm Link

Photographer

Eric212Grapher

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

beautybykatealece wrote:

They may be working with a MUA, but that does not mean they are exclusive to that MUA. Ever business out there tries to gain new customers, either by developing a new market or convincing clients of their competition to work with them. Photographers do it to each other all the time. It's business, not personal.

Unless the MUA is related to the photographer, chances are the photographer will need a back up now and then. Call, email, message, explain your desires, and see what happens.

I would caution against working for the same photographer too many times for free. First time, sure. Second time? Ask for your kit costs. Third and beyond? increase your rates slowly to what you deserve.

If you work with a well known photographer in your area and they credit your MUA work, they might be worth keeping on a reduced cost schedule. No credits? No following? Full rate after they see what you can do.

Apr 10 16 09:05 pm Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

sayyyyy... how bout a shoot sometime big boy?

Apr 11 16 11:07 am Link

Model

IDiivil

Los Angeles, California, US

I'm a model, but I hire makeup artists myself or suggest them to photographers, clients, etc hiring me.

When hiring/working with makeup artists, I have a select few who I always try to suggest first as I know them well and trust them to be reliable and talented. However, sometimes my usual choices aren't available on the day we're doing the shoot, and at that point, a backup is a definite necessary smile

tl;dr Even if it looks like the people you are approaching already have their contacts in order, it's never a bad thing to be in their list to call if they need you.

Apr 11 16 11:19 am Link

Photographer

John Silva Photography

Fairfield, California, US

beautybykatealece wrote:

Kate, from what I see here there are a lot of big time photographers here doing high paid jobs so they can afford to pay the best in their area and even have a back-up, both models and mua's.
For me, I'm certainly not even close to that. So far I've done all my work at TF and have used a couple of MUA's but at TF. They all expressed they would like to work again. But when I DO get a paying gig, I will certainly call my TF girls first! They are the ones that have sacrificed their time for me.  It would even be wrong for me to higher someone else unless it was dictated by the client.
Of course at TF you could get all the work you wanted as an mua. I would not worry about contacting any photographer, let them decide if they want to work with you, don't make that decision for them. 
I know you have make-up Kit overhead but when I arrive with a backpack and it has $20K of gear in it, that's overhead too. So we each do our little part and hopefully network and grow into making some money. The cream WILL rise!!
Kate at TF I would use you on EVERY shoot I do if you were willing to go the 60 miles to me. I'd even pay your gas!! Not much but a start.
I gave myself a full year here on MM to learn the ropes and network and it's starting to come together. I'm being patient. Didn't look to see how long you've been here but many have been here 10 years! That's a lot of water under the networking bridge!!
Kate, I'm sure it will happen for you, but it does take time and hard work to develop that network. Good luck.  💄💄💄💄

Apr 11 16 03:07 pm Link

Model

alexandra

Davis, California, US

Orca Bay Images wrote:
There's absolutely no harm and everything to gain by asking. Be polite and direct, but unassuming. Who could ever take offense to that?

Then don't make it sound random. Include a comment about their work, say, a specific image, and why you like it.

I agree I think "random" is the key word. People will feel respected if it sounds like a solid offer rather than just a few words in their inbox

Apr 11 16 10:36 pm Link

Photographer

Jimmy Harmon

Bentonville, Arkansas, US

As a photographer who travels considerably, It's extremely important that I can get local talent for every aspect of my shoots. We can't always afford to have our full crew travel, so it's nice knowing there's someone I can count on when I get to a shoot.

Put your name out there. Be bold and get what you're worth. If I were shooting in your area, I'd call. I'd pay. I always judge by previous work, not just how many years you've been in the industry.

We have a local MUA here who's only been in the industry for a little over a year, but her work appears as if she's been doing it all her life. She's our "go to" MUA anytime she's available.

Apr 12 16 05:27 am Link

Photographer

JHLePhotography

Atlanta, Georgia, US

beautybykatealece wrote:

I view it as quite the opposite. By reaching out to Photographers, you're already putting yourself out there as an MUA who is willing to test. That alone opens up opportunities. Nobody knows what you do or want to do unless you're knocking on doors. Look for Photographers who regularly do Agency Tests in your area. An option is to search the Modeling Agencies around your town and see who the Photographers they're working with via Instagram. They'll likely have their own IG Account, which enables you to reach out that way.

Apr 14 16 08:44 am Link

Photographer

theBeachStrober

Robertsdale, Alabama, US

I would say it may be better to reach out to models and offer to be there MUA for shots they get lined up. I've tried to work with a MUA and then find a model. It is hard enough trying to get 1 person lined up for a shoot, much less two. I think you would be better off getting to know models. In model groups on FB, I see more models asking for MUA's than photographers.

Apr 21 16 01:44 pm Link

Model

Dipty

Mumbai, Maharashtra, India

Any retoucher looking to work  with me on TF Basis

Apr 24 16 06:51 am Link

Photographer

Prose Visual

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Risen Phoenix Photo wrote:
Are you kidding. Photographers would jump at the opportunity to have an MUA available to them if need be. And as long as you are willing to garage or charge a nominal kit fee then yeah... Start finding the photographers that you would like to have your work associated with and send them a message and then let them know.

I could not agree more. More so than when a photographer is getting started and may not have the connections or if they are looking to build a solid team for personal projects and job opportunities.

Jacob
www.prosevisual.com

Apr 24 16 04:02 pm Link

Photographer

Electroglow

Elk Grove, California, US

I'm a photographer in the Sacramento area (Elk Grove) and would love to have a MUA to work with on a TF basis.

Apr 24 16 04:28 pm Link