Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > PC Outrage: Cheerleader Infographics

Photographer

DeanLautermilch

Sebring, Florida, US

PC Outrage: Cheerleader Infographics On “How To Be Hot” Pisses Off Feminists!

http://www.break.com/article/college-ch … ot-3017603

May 02 16 06:28 pm Link

Photographer

Personality Imaging

Hoover, Alabama, US

So easy to piss people off these days but still a worthwhile cause.

May 02 16 07:28 pm Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

looks ok to me.  I like when women look classy and fit.  I also think there is something for everyone on college campus.

May 03 16 01:08 am Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

San Jacinto, California, US

Common sense standards to me.

Thought, I don't agree with the "don'ts" on the pony tails.  I got a thing for pony tails.  big_smile

May 03 16 02:08 am Link

Photographer

TomFRohwer

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

Taking away "hotness" from cheerleaders is like taking away infallibility from the pope.

What remains would not make any sense at all...

May 03 16 02:19 am Link

Model

Lisa Everhart

Sebring, Florida, US

Radical feminism does not help women in any way.

May 03 16 04:09 am Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I find these types of things to be absolutely hilarious.

Want a "bikini body"? Put your body in a fucking bikini.

May 03 16 04:12 am Link

Photographer

Jeffrey M Fletcher

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Infographic = explanation for the brain dead. It is offensively stupid, but not the sort of thing that causes me to care about cheerleaders or the spoked angry feminists.

May 03 16 04:47 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

there's an old saying, better pissed off than pissed on.

May 03 16 05:17 am Link

Photographer

Christian Lockewood

Houston, Texas, US

What a silly mess! Why is it suprising to anyone that cheerleading squads have a specific look they attempt to cultivate? This is nothing new and those in the Twittersphere and beyond who allow themselves to become upset at such trivialities lack the life skills to cope.

May 03 16 07:08 am Link

Photographer

MN Photography

Chicago, Illinois, US

I actually think that the concept of having school sanctioned cheerleaders should have died out in the 1960s.  I was dating a woman for a while recently who went to college on a cheerleading scholarship.  What real world thing does cheerleading prepare you for?

May 03 16 03:29 pm Link

Photographer

Toto Photo

Belmont, California, US

Koryn wrote:
I find these types of things to be absolutely hilarious.

Want a "bikini body"? Put your body in a fucking bikini.

Made me smile.

May 03 16 03:46 pm Link

Photographer

highStrangeness

Carmichael, California, US

It's not limited to the fringe of feminism, it's also this SJW culture that's a plague on campuses, where everyone is perpetually offended.

I posted a similar graphic on my Instagram, and it sums this issue up pretty well...

https://i1.wp.com/theshake.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/offended.jpg

May 03 16 03:49 pm Link

Model

Lisa Everhart

Sebring, Florida, US

highStrangeness wrote:
It's not limited to the fringe of feminism, it's also this SJW culture that's a plague on campuses, where everyone is perpetually offended.

Amen to this.

May 03 16 03:59 pm Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

highStrangeness wrote:

I posted a similar graphic on my Instagram, and it sums this issue up pretty well...

https://i1.wp.com/theshake.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/offended.jpg

Having worked on a college campus for nearly 30 years, I agree.  Students talk about tolerance but what that often means is a tolerance for certain issues which are politically correct and little tolerance for anything else.  I've also noticed in recent years that many students feel they have some magic right to never be offended and even promote limiting the freedoms of others to enforce this "right"  Many campuses are even  restricting free speech to a small number of "free speech zones"

Cheerleading is basically a combination of gymnastics and event modeling.  This will require certain attributes. People who don't like it don't need to participate or view their performances. With all the real atrocities happening to women (and men) around the globe do feminists and SJW's really need to spend their time and effort on something like cheerleading?

May 03 16 04:25 pm Link

Photographer

Managing Light

Salem, Virginia, US

And another sin: the article didn't have any "trigger" warnings and no directions to the nearest safe spaces.

Our little delicate snowflakes may melt a bit around the edges...

SHAME!  SHAME!

May 03 16 04:31 pm Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

UW: "physically fit, athletic physiques"
WSU: "athletic physiques"
LSU: "healthy, athletic physique"

Works for me. I shacked up with a cheerleader during a semester in college. Those women are athletes in their own right. Yeah, they're regarded as mere eye-candy accessories to a sporting event, but some of the best cheerleaders are actually very close to gymnasts in their abilities.

Sorry. Kinda chaps me a bit when cheerleaders are dismissed as some kind of patriarchal tool of the Man just to keep women down, maaaaan. We've got plenty of actual patriarchal bullshit going on that needs to be addressed, and cheerleaders ain't even on that list. Their perception as bubble-headed sexually-available bimbos is mostly a fantasy stereotype advanced by the dregs of pop culture. I always laugh at the usual lightweight MGTOW whining weakly about feminists (at a safely-cowering distance from the nearest feminist, of course) but this critique is right on.

May 03 16 04:45 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

Is nobody else bothered by the requirement that only Nike logos be visible on socks and shoes?

Think about what that means for a second:  it means that the students have to purchase their own, or else the requirement would read "only wear the footwear you are issued." And it means that the school has an endorsement from Nike, which they are requiring their students to factor in to their own personal purchases.

In other words, another example of requiring student athletes to act as employees, while getting none of the benefits of actually being an employee.

I'm way more bothered by that than any sort of appearance standards.

May 03 16 05:19 pm Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

Zack Zoll wrote:
Is nobody else bothered by the requirement that only Nike logos be visible on socks and shoes?

Think about what that means for a second:  it means that the students have to purchase their own, or else the requirement would read "only wear the footwear you are issued." And it means that the school has an endorsement from Nike, which they are requiring their students to factor in to their own personal purchases.

In other words, another example of requiring student athletes to act as employees, while getting none of the benefits of actually being an employee.

I'm way more bothered by that than any sort of appearance standards.

The contracts college make with companies like Nike and the money involved is an interring and complex issue.  It certainly doesn't seem consistent with the idea of amateur non-profit sports.   I would also point out that many Div I and some Div II athletes receive sports scholarships which is in fact compensation. 

The page for cheerleaders however wasn't saying that cheerleaders should wear Nike products, it was simply saying that showing the Nike emblem was allowed.   I don't know if other small emblems are allowed or not.  Cheerleading is not a NCAA sport.  I see no reason why colleges should be obligated to pay for the uniforms or equipment of student organizations. (but see no problem with them doing so either)   Also, that poster didn't state that cheerleaders do in fact pay for their uniforms and shoes,  it simply pointed out the uniform and other protocols.  I swam in college (NCAA sport) but paid for my own suit and goggles.

May 03 16 06:06 pm Link