Forums > Photography Talk > Camera Recommendations - Need Help

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

Hi everyone,
I currently have a Canon 70D camera and recently tested the Canon 80D and didn't find much of a difference.  I am open to paying up to about 2.5k for something new.  I only shoot portraits and headshots so that's really what my main focus is.  It can be a full frame camera (I've never owned one but I'm open to it).  Here are some things you should know.

- Since I have many Canon things, ideally I would like to stick with Canon but that's not set in stone.

- The Canon 5D Mark III is a camera I have my eye on but have never used (Do you own one?  What do you think of it?)

- I took a look at what the Sony a6300 has to offer and I decided that's not a camera I would get.

- Some things that are important to me are consistent white balance, great, fast and reliable autofocus (while manually selecting the focus point), live-view shooting capabilities, wi-fi and great image quality.

Feel free to recommend whatever camera you want to and share samples too.  I will be ordering something by Sunday.  Thanks!

May 27 16 11:22 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

I think the first thing you need to consider is whether your lenses will stand up to a high-end full-frame. If not spend some money on top quality lenses and delay the body a bit.

May 27 16 11:35 pm Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

J O H N  A L L A N wrote:
I think the first thing you need to consider is whether your lenses will stand up to a high-end full-frame. If not spend some money on top quality lenses and delay the body a bit.

Well for right now I use the 85mm 1.8 and on rare occasions the pancake 40mm.  Pretty much though the 85mm all the time.  I also currently have a 100mm 2.8 IS Macro that I bought and am testing out.  My camera is 3 plus years old now so I want to update it to something else.  Any recommendations?

P.S. If you think these lenses suck, what would you recommend for that then?

May 27 16 11:43 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

The lenses made for crop frame cameras won't cover the full frame sensor, so there's no added value if you're buying a full frame camera and using your existing lenses.

Additonally, Canon EFS style lenses won't fit on a full size Canon camera without modification or some kind of adapter.  The end element is longer and protrudes into the mirror box, which would cause damage to the camera if it was installed.

May 28 16 02:47 am Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

I understand that.  My lenses are EF.  All of them.

May 28 16 05:03 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Yajhil Alvarez wrote:
I understand that.  My lenses are EF.  All of them.

Your lenses are fine for the 5D III, but you will note that they will have a wider field of view.  As an example, your 85mm, which is a good focal length, will appear shorter on the full frame camera.

The 5D III is a fine piece of equipment.  It is certainly far more camera than an 80d.

May 28 16 05:07 am Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

American Glamour wrote:

Your lenses are fine for the 5D III, but you will note that they will have a wider field of view.  As an example, your 85mm, which is a good focal length, will appear shorter on the full frame camera.

The 5D III is a fine piece of equipment.  It is certainly far more camera than an 80d.

Yeah, I would end up having to get a 135mm to make up for that.  And seriously, the 80D felt pointless to me lol.  Thank you!

May 28 16 05:40 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Yajhil Alvarez wrote:
Yeah, I would end up having to get a 135mm to make up for that.  And seriously, the 80D felt pointless to me lol.  Thank you!

I shoot Nikon but I have both an 85mm and a 135mm.  I like them both but the 135mm is my favorite lens.

May 28 16 06:18 am Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Before you make your final decision, check out the Canon 6D.

It costs less and has an ISO that can go as high as 125,000 and does incredible low light photography.

May 28 16 06:48 am Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Lenses are an investment. Good quality lenses will last a lifetime. In the digital era bodies will be superceeded by newer models every 3-5 years. That doesnt make an older body bad, it just means that if you want certain new features you will have to pay up. If you are happy with your 70D i'd keep using it and invest in good full-frame lenses, or possibly a used 5DIII if you want full-frame. If you have pro glass switching brands isnt that bad, fast primes and f2.8 constant zooms will hold 70-80% of their value for many years if in good shape.

May 28 16 06:58 am Link

Photographer

Lachance Photography

Daytona Beach, Florida, US

Stick with a mid level crop body if it is not limiting you and invest in quality glass ie 24-70 and 70-200 2.8.

May 28 16 08:34 am Link

Photographer

Cool Hand Mike

Jacksonville, Florida, US

Canon 6D and 135mm F2 sound like a good fit for your situation.

May 28 16 08:54 am Link

Photographer

petemplinphoto

Duvall, Washington, US

I rarely expect the next generation of a camera to bring enough to the table to warrant an upgrade. 5D2->5D3 was an exception, due to the AF, but understandable since 5D->5D2 had perhaps no AF upgrades whatsoever. What's your 70D not doing that makes you want to upgrade? The 5D3 is a great camera, but I'd budget for the 135/2 so you may want to look at the 6D instead. A great little camera of its own, great images, but my only complaint is that the shutter sounds cheap (the 5D3 sounds a bit "rattly" to me). Obviously that means nothing to the images, but if the experience is worth a lot to you, it's something to consider.

Or, save up your pennies and get a 5Ds. It's what the 5D3 should have been (based on this review, and I concur: http://chrisgilesphotography.com/blog/t … otography/). AF is even snappier than 5D3, shutter sounds great, images are beyond fantastic, and you can crop them down to the angle of view you had with your 70D and still have 22mp.

[I (plus my wife) presently own 1Dx, 1Dx, 5D3, 5DsR, and a trusty old 1D3. We've previously owned a Rebel XTi, 40D, 7D, and 7D, and have rented over the years the 5D, 5D2, 6D, and 7D2.]

May 28 16 10:35 am Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

This thread has camera & lens details worked out and published images all linked -
https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/959005

May 28 16 12:56 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Fryd

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Yajhil Alvarez wrote:
Hi everyone,
I currently have a Canon 70D camera and recently tested the Canon 80D and didn't find much of a difference.  I am open to paying up to about 2.5k for something new.  I only shoot portraits and headshots so that's really what my main focus is.  It can be a full frame camera (I've never owned one but I'm open to it).  Here are some things you should know.

- Since I have many Canon things, ideally I would like to stick with Canon but that's not set in stone.

- The Canon 5D Mark III is a camera I have my eye on but have never used (Do you own one?  What do you think of it?)

- I took a look at what the Sony a6300 has to offer and I decided that's not a camera I would get.

- Some things that are important to me are consistent white balance, great, fast and reliable autofocus (while manually selecting the focus point), live-view shooting capabilities, wi-fi and great image quality.

Feel free to recommend whatever camera you want to and share samples too.  I will be ordering something by Sunday.  Thanks!

The Canon 70D is capable of producing great quality images.  What issue are you trying to address by buying a new camera?

Do you find your current camera limiting, or are you just looking for something new and fun?

If the issue is that the current camera is limiting, what are the problems?  You should look for a camera that can help with those specific issues.

If you are looking for fun, then buy a camera that's different from what you have.  Get a full frame and try out narrower depth of field and/or low light photography.  Get a 7D II and try action shots.  Keep your camera and buy some unusual lenses (like a tilt shift).

May 29 16 04:48 am Link

Photographer

WisconsinArt

Nashotah, Wisconsin, US

Lachance Photography wrote:
Stick with a mid level crop body if it is not limiting you and invest in quality glass ie 24-70 and 70-200 2.8.

Yah, if you're just doing headshots then buy a nice piece of glass. Use the rest of your budget for lights if you don't have them.

May 29 16 07:03 am Link