Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Frequency Seperation

Photographer

brendan_ch

San Francisco, California, US

Hello everybody! I've been seeing this technique around and I've watched some youtube tutorials about it. My questions are is this still the best method for retouching? I've been seeing mixed reviews. Also: What are some great resources or advice you may have on this topic. I'm looking for the best practice to learn early on.

Thanks!

Jul 31 16 01:40 pm Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

brendan_ch wrote:
is this still the best method for retouching?

still?

I don't recall it was ever proclaimed as the "best method", it has uses though.
I think your retouching time is best spent learning and practicing dodge and burn.

Jul 31 16 01:50 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

It never was - it's a quick-n-dirty technique that gives aesthetically poor results.
One should NEVER blur or do frequency separation for retouching skin - at least if one wants professional results.

Jul 31 16 02:04 pm Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

San Jacinto, California, US

I'm one of the lazy ones that use it by slightly blurring and healing on  the low pass frequencies.   

But, that I've seen, and IMO, I think Pratik Naik is probably one of the better retouchers.  He'd dodge and burn on frequency separation.  I'm sure there's more to it, but, that's tooooo much work for me.  smile

I think I'm color/tone difference blind because I don't see how they are able to smooth out the skin tones just by D&B.

Jul 31 16 02:23 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Black Z Eddie wrote:
I'm one of the lazy ones that use it by slightly blurring and healing on  the low pass frequencies.   

But, that I've seen, and IMO, I think Pratik Naik is probably one of the better retouchers.  He'd dodge and burn on frequency separation.  I'm sure there's more to it, but, that's tooooo much work for me.  smile

I think I'm color/tone difference blind because I don't see how they are able to smooth out the skin tones just by D&B.

(micro) D&B is only for evening the luminance values, not the color.

Jul 31 16 02:30 pm Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

FS is just a technique. Results vary on the users applying it. I have seen some amazing result as well as some crappy ones.

Jul 31 16 03:13 pm Link

Photographer

GoneAway

Tombouctou, Tombouctou, Mali

brendan_ch wrote:
I'm looking for the best practice to learn early on.

D&B. Both micro and macro (aka carving).

Jul 31 16 03:19 pm Link

Retoucher

FKW

Yogyakarta, Yogyakarta, Indonesia

lot of tutorial still showing the wrong point. dont trust it to much.

Jul 31 16 10:29 pm Link

Photographer

Pelle Piano

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

Here is a great article by Natalia Taffarel about d&b and more.
http://nataliataffarel.tumblr.com/post/4551849530/dnb

Aug 01 16 01:38 am Link

Retoucher

The Invisible Touch

Tarragona, Catalonia, Spain

It really surprises me the answers that I see here sometimes..

Let's get things straight! :-)

J O H N  A L L A N wrote:
It never was - it's a quick-n-dirty technique that gives aesthetically poor results.
One should NEVER blur or do frequency separation for retouching skin - at least if one wants professional results.

Not correct, if used correctly, it works just fine. The challenge is not the technique, is how you apply it. :-)

Black Z Eddie wrote:

Blur the low layer on Fs and you are destroying every single middle frequency, therefore end up with just a blur which in professional photography, NOBODY WANTS!

Pratik, doesn't D&B on frequency separation, you are just confusing terms. D&B is one thing and FS is another one and both are used for completely different things.

FS, is meant for even out texture, creases, cleaning skin in general and so many other uses but D&B in the other hand is made for even out transitions on shadows/hightlights

With D&B you don't smooth out skin tone, you smooth out just SKIN. The tones are a completely different thing.

M A R K wrote:

Again, I don't know where are you getting your information but that's just simply wrong.. One thing is carving and another one very different is D&B.

Carving gives/emphasises body/facial/hair shapes

D&B cleans transitions/blotchy skin

Aug 01 16 02:58 am Link

Photographer

GoneAway

The Invisible Touch wrote:
Again, I don't know where are you getting your information but that's just simply wrong..

Here you go chump, eat your heart out...
https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/808677

Aug 01 16 07:49 am Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

It really surprises me the answers that I see here sometimes..

Let's get things straight! :-)

It really surprises me the answersNot correct, if used correctly, it works just fine. The challenge is not the technique, is how you apply it. :-)

Indeed - let's get things straight - although you may have found some use within your work, to utilize frequency separation in your skin retouching process; What people mean when they talk about FS for retouching skin and what the literally hundreds of tutorials published online championing FS for skin retouching, is an approach that will give one overly smoothed unprofessional results. Period. Professionals don't promote it for this reason. For you to promote it as a valid skin retouching technique is a bad message to send to people and if there were still more than a minute handful of professional retouchers who still view the MM retouching forum once a year, you'd be inundated with responses correcting your post.

Aug 01 16 01:00 pm Link

Retoucher

The Invisible Touch

Indeed - let's get things straight - although you may have found some use within your work, to utilize frequency separation in your skin retouching process; What people mean when they talk about FS for retouching skin and what the literally hundreds of tutorials published online championing FS for skin retouching, is an approach that will give one overly smoothed unprofessional results. Period.

That's just simply not true, just because you find shitty amateur FS tutorials of people that they don't have a clue, it doesn't mean that FS is just simply bad. I have to agree that most people uses it the wrong way and if so you will end up destroying the image but if used correctly it could do wonders. But this is like anything if you put too much sugar in your coffee you will end up ruining it.

How do you explain that most retouching houses use it on their workflow?

Professionals don't promote it for this reason.

NO, again not true. Professionals do promote it but they offer the correct way but people don't like things that take time or are over complicated therefore they choose to go down the "Blurring the low layer" route.

For you to promote it as a valid skin retouching technique is a bad message to send to people and if there were still more than a minute handful of professional retouchers who still view the MM retouching forum once a year, you'd be inundated with responses correcting your post.

Just because you don't control it, it doesn't mean is bad. I agree with you and I don't advice my students to learn it till they get to a point, they understand completely how retouching works and once they know all the basics.

Now, name one of those professionals that will made me eat my words?? I dear you!!

Natalia is happy to work on FS, as a matter of fact it is part of her workflow. (She uses it correctly)

Pratik Naik (same same same)

Omar Josef (same same)

you need more?? So don't give me non sense now just because you don't know what you are talking about.

Again, I agree with you. Newbies/amateurs shouldn't use it but you can't say is a bad technique because you don't know how to use it correctly.

Period!! :-)

Aug 02 16 01:59 am Link

Retoucher

The Invisible Touch

M A R K wrote:
Here you go chump, eat your heart out...

LOL learn how to read carefully... if I were you I would read the whole thread again and see if you actually understand what it means.

One thing is D&B

Painting with light to even out variations on skin, by doing this you get a cleaner/smoother skin. You can also use it to change the lighting.

Another thing which is very, very different is CARVING/CONTOURING

Here you change transitions between shadows/highlight and adds more depth to the image.

So get your facts straight! :-P

Aug 02 16 02:08 am Link

Photographer

GoneAway

LOL learn how to read carefully...

Nooo.... it's you who needs to read CAREFULLY what I said. I'm guessing comprehension isn't your strong point.

And just because I enjoy the opportunity to make you look EVEN MORE of a chump, take a peek at these:

This is a quote taken from the following page:

"There are two main uses to D&B. Pixel level and Contouring/Carving. The exact same tools and techniques are used for both versions. The only differences lay in the area that you are painting on, the pressure and size of the brush, and the intention behind it."

And there's similar commentary within the page here:
http://www.dmd-digital-retouching.com/b … -tutorial/

I could go on.

No doubt your deliberately confrontational activity on the forum was intended to help drum up work but it's only made you look bombastic and foolish. And a proper chump.
big_smile

Aug 02 16 04:37 am Link

Retoucher

The Invisible Touch

M A R K wrote:
Nooo.... it's you who needs to read CAREFULLY what I said. I'm guessing comprehension isn't your strong point.

This is what you said!!

M A R K wrote:

Let me tell you again.. D&B both micro and macro aren't known (AKA) as carving.. actually are two very different things.

Get your facts straight before you talk mate! :-)

Aug 02 16 05:00 am Link

Retoucher

The Invisible Touch

M A R K wrote:

And just because I enjoy the opportunity to make you look EVEN MORE of a chump, take a peek at these:

This is a quote taken from the following page:

"There are two main uses to D&B. Pixel level and Contouring/Carving. The exact same tools and techniques are used for both versions. The only differences lay in the area that you are painting on, the pressure and size of the brush, and the intention behind it."

And there's similar commentary within the page here:
http://www.dmd-digital-retouching.com/b … -tutorial/

I could go on.

No doubt your deliberately confrontational activity on the forum was intended to help drum up work but it's only made you look bombastic and foolish. And a proper chump.
big_smile

Right!! :-) Let me tell you that what you just said now, is exactly what I said early but your statement has somehow changed...

Yes you do D&B and Carving with exactly the same technique, everyone knows that! But you SAID!!

M A R K wrote:

Which is simply not true. Just because there are two uses, it doesn't mean they are "aka" known as the same. You simply don't know any better and that truly shows on your comment and work!

You can call me chump or whatever you like, that says a lot about your childish mentality which really doesn't bother me but you need to accept the fact that you clearly got terms mixed up. The sooner you realise this, the sooner you will progress.. Otherwise go and ask Natalia as you are clearly a big fan of her.

Why don't you go to do a test to a retouching studio and when you get asked to do carving, why don't you tell them that is exactly the same as if you were doing D&B, which is what you said... bless you!!

I have zero intentions to drump up work or gain anything from here, the challenge is that I care for people to learn and you simply don't, when I started there was no help at all but people like you stop others from learning by being so "nice" and providing the wrong terms to techniques.

So do us all a favour, why don't you go and learn first before you preach.

Aug 02 16 05:15 am Link

Photographer

GoneAway

This is what you said!!
Let me tell you again.. D&B both micro and macro aren't known (AKA) as carving.. actually are two very different things.

LOL. Clearly your comprehension skills are much as I suspected.

Mate... !! Trying to appeal to my good nature won't get you off the hook I'm afraid. Nice try though.

Aug 02 16 05:35 am Link

Retoucher

The Invisible Touch

M A R K wrote:
LOL. Clearly your comprehension skills are much as I suspected.

Mate... !! Trying to appeal to my good nature won't get you off the hook I'm afraid. Nice try though.

My comprehension skills are great, don't you worry. D&B aka carving!!  That's all you are saying, which is a lot to be honest. Bless you.

Doesn't really bother me your hook... I will keep my eye on you too just in case you keep producing statements like that again, god bless us all with your knowledge and help.

Aug 02 16 05:39 am Link

Photographer

GoneAway

Yes you do D&B and Carving with exactly the same technique, everyone knows that!

Ah, we're getting somewhere at last!

But you SAID!!

Which is simply not true. Just because there are two uses, it doesn't mean they are "aka" known as the same. You simply don't know any better and that truly shows on your comment and work!

Oooh, don't spoil it!! My work's infinitely better than anything you have on show in your port BTW smile

You can call me chump or whatever you like, that says a lot about your childish mentality which really doesn't bother me but you need to accept the fact that you clearly got terms mixed up. The sooner you realise this, the sooner you will progress.. Otherwise go and ask Natalia as you are clearly a big fan of her.

LOL. Those are just the first two links which come up when I google 'D&B and carving' big_smile
https://www.google.co.uk/#q=dodge+and+burn+and+carving

So I think it's you who has 'a thing' about Natalia, not me chumpy...

Why don't you go to do a test to a retouching studio and when you get asked to do carving, why don't you tell them that is exactly the same as if you were doing D&B, which is what you said... bless you!!

That thing about comprehension again - but I promise not to mention it any more! BTW - you'd be surprised at my retouching skills.

I have zero intentions to drump up work or gain anything from here, the challenge is that I care for people to learn and you simply don't, when I started there was no help at all but people like you stop others from learning by being so "nice" and providing the wrong terms to techniques.

So do us all a favour, why don't you go and learn first before you preach.

Well until you came barging into this thread it was doing just fine. People had responded to the OP's question sanely and sensibly. All that changed when you started spouting a crock of brown stuff. I don't think it will tax many peoples' intelligence to realise who the ignorant preacher is. Chump.

Aug 02 16 05:50 am Link

Photographer

GoneAway

You can call me chump

Chump.

Aug 02 16 05:54 am Link

Retoucher

The Invisible Touch

M A R K wrote:
Oooh, don't spoil it!! My work's infinitely better than anything you have on show in your port BTW smile

LOL. Those are just the first two links which come up when I google 'D&B and carving' big_smile
https://www.google.co.uk/#q=dodge+and+burn+and+carving

So I think it's you who has 'a thing' about Natalia, not me chumpy...

That thing about comprehension again - but I promise not to mention it any more! BTW - you'd be surprised at my retouching skills.

Well until you came barging into this thread it was doing just fine. People had responded to the OP's question sanely and sensibly. All that changed when you started spouting a crock of brown stuff. I don't think it will tax many peoples' intelligence to realise who the ignorant preacher is. Chump.

Mark, I am going to leave you as a lost cause, there is zero point arguing with someone like you, which finds himself helpful but really doesn't have a clue of the different of D&B and Carving just because its done with the same technique... you are probably one of those that think that FS does the same as D&B.

If you claim to know so much why don't you show us as clearly what i see at the moment it just simply trashy in terms of photography and retouching and lets not forget about the lack of taste but anyway, as you said your work is better than most people eh chumpy!!

My question to all the members that have a bit of common sense.. why would you listen to someone that things that carving and D&B is the same thing which backs it up with this... mmmmmhhhhhhh sorry me feels!!

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/40822702

I will leave you know to crack on with your life and will do the same with mine, lets see who gets further.. Take care Mark

Aug 02 16 06:03 am Link

Photographer

GoneAway

Mark, I am going to leave you as a lost cause, there is zero point arguing with someone like you, which finds himself helpful but really doesn't have a clue of the different of D&B and Carving just because its done with the same technique... you are probably one of those that think that FS does the same as D&B.

If you claim to know so much why don't you show us as clearly what i see at the moment it just simply trashy in terms of photography and retouching and lets not forget about the lack of taste but anyway, as you said your work is better than most people eh chumpy!!

My question to all the members that have a bit of common sense.. why would you listen to someone that things that carving and D&B is the same thing which backs it up with this... mmmmmhhhhhhh sorry me feels!!

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/40822702

I will leave you know to crack on with your life and will do the same with mine, lets see who gets further.. Take care Mark

Bye bye.
Chump.

Aug 02 16 06:35 am Link

Retoucher

The Invisible Touch

M A R K wrote:
Bye bye.
Chump.

Bye bye!! :-)

Aug 02 16 06:37 am Link

Photographer

GoneAway

Bye bye!! :-)

I hope you're not flirting with me. Are you a girl??

Aug 02 16 06:41 am Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

This is what you said!!

I think you're struggling with reading the English sentence.
The way a native English speaker would parse his sentence is that macro is known as carving (not micro as well as micro).

Aug 02 16 09:02 am Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Now, name one of those professionals that will made me eat my words?? I dear you!!

Natalia is happy to work on FS, as a matter of fact it is part of her workflow. (She uses it correctly)

Interesting in your false bravado,  that you'd choose her as an example supporting your stance. Someone who is very vocal in her opposition to using frequency separation for skin retouching.

Aug 02 16 09:13 am Link

Retoucher

Sofia, Sofija grad, Bulgaria

brendan_ch wrote:
I'm looking for the best practice to learn early on.

Stay away from forums.

Aug 02 16 09:28 am Link

Photographer

Laura Elizabeth Photo

Rochester, New York, US

I didn't read through all that crazy arguing but you only use FS in a similar manner that you would use the healing brush or clone tool.  Don't use it for overall skin smoothing, it's for spot touchup's on texture (removing hairs, evening out pore texture, removing blemishes, etc).  90% of good skin retouching is done with D&B.

Aug 02 16 09:45 am Link

Retoucher

The Invisible Touch

I think you're struggling with reading the English sentence.
The way a native English speaker would parse his sentence is that macro is known as carving (not micro as well as micro).

That's your interpretation but that's not how it actually reads.. it is really clear what he said.

Aug 02 16 10:19 am Link

Retoucher

The Invisible Touch

Interesting in your false bravado,  that you'd choose her as an example supporting your stance. Someone who is very vocal in her opposition to using frequency separation for skin retouching.

Simply not correct!! Natalia as far as I know is not against FS, is against filtering and tampering with FS which produces plastic results.

If you don't believe me, go to her facebook group and find out for your self.. at least that was the way it was not long a go.. :-)

Aug 02 16 10:22 am Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

I love this thread lol

Aug 02 16 11:26 am Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Simply not correct!! Natalia as far as I know is not against FS, is against filtering and tampering with FS which produces plastic results.

If you don't believe me, go to her facebook group and find out for your self.. at least that was the way it was not long a go.. :-)

You may want to re-read the group rules or anything posted on the subject (or ask someone to help you do the same). Again, your English reading comprehension seems to be your primary stumbling block in this thread.

Aug 02 16 11:55 am Link

Photographer

GoneAway

...it is really clear what he said.

I agree with you ABSOLUTELY.
big_smile

Aug 02 16 12:09 pm Link

Retoucher

The Invisible Touch

NothingIsRealButTheGirl wrote:
I love this thread lol

Me too!! :-)

Aug 02 16 12:29 pm Link

Retoucher

The Invisible Touch

You may want to re-read the group rules or anything posted on the subject (or ask someone to help you do the same). Again, your English reading comprehension seems to be your primary stumbling block in this thread.

Thanks for the advice, appreciated!!

:-)

Aug 02 16 12:30 pm Link

Retoucher

The Invisible Touch

M A R K wrote:
I agree with you ABSOLUTELY. big_smile

You see it wasn't that hard to agree with me!! Good boy! :-)

Aug 02 16 12:31 pm Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

San Jacinto, California, US

brendan_ch wrote:
Hello everybody! I've been seeing this technique around and I've watched some youtube tutorials about it. My questions are is this still the best method for retouching? I've been seeing mixed reviews. Also: What are some great resources or advice you may have on this topic. I'm looking for the best practice to learn early on.

Thanks!

Creativelive is having a re-broadcast Aug 6th and 7th with Pratik.   

https://www.creativelive.com/courses/ar … llection_6

Aug 02 16 01:38 pm Link

Retoucher

Tincture

New York, New York, US

I've never known any retouching studios, at least here in New York, that actively use frequency separation in their workflow.  Cloning, healing, dodge and burn are the standard techniques.

Aug 06 16 11:00 am Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Stamford, Connecticut, US

M A R K wrote:

Really?

Aug 06 16 06:12 pm Link