Model

Stitch Asylum

Virginia Beach, Virginia, US

Has anyone had any experience with Patreon?
I've seen a handful of models making several hundred or more on there monthly. I wonder about how much work it is, though. Weekly/monthly shoots that only paying patrons can see.
I think it's a cool concept. It takes the coding work and owning your own server out of the traditional subscription websites.
I recently started one, but I don't think I have a big enough following to make it successful.
What are your thoughts on Patreon?

Aug 12 16 09:06 am Link

Photographer

CleanSlate Photography

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Recently opened one myself, and have been gradually uploading work but no takers so far. However it is hasn't been very long.

Again, I feel its one of those things that are more biased like everything towards the models rather then a even split between models and photographers.

But again just my opinion, in a nutshell do I feel its been worth it? No, other people may disagree or say other wise but I can only comment based on my experience.

Aug 12 16 05:29 pm Link

Photographer

Jorge Kreimer

San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico

I have one, and I get between $500 to $700 a month. I've seen some that make 3k a month.

Aug 12 16 05:55 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

Just signed up - interesting concept.
Actually I just wanted to reserve my name before someone else used it - low expectations - lol

Aug 12 16 06:14 pm Link

Photographer

Nico Simon Princely

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Delete

Aug 12 16 06:46 pm Link

Model

Jen B E

Hesperia, California, US

Well this is interesting,

What on earth is it?

Jen
p.s. going to google

Aug 12 16 08:29 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Jen B E wrote:
Well this is interesting,

What on earth is it?

Jen
p.s. going to google

double log on:

Aha, is this it?

https://www.patreon.com/

Jen

Aug 12 16 08:34 pm Link

Model

Stitch Asylum

Virginia Beach, Virginia, US

Jen B wrote:

double log on:

Aha, is this it?

https://www.patreon.com/

Jen

Yup. That's it. Interesting subscription type site. Perks for "patrons"

Aug 13 16 06:57 pm Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

I'd probably be more keen on both contributing & joining if the site gave interested parties a preview or teaser of posted sets. Because right now, the only previews I'm able to see are when the creators post something on a different website (like Twitter or Facebook) specifically promoting their Patreon.

Aug 14 16 07:25 am Link

Model

Julia Steel

Sylvania, Ohio, US

I have one and make around $500 each month give or take, I had lots of fans through my YouTube channel when I started though. You don't make art FOR Patreon, you make art regardless and then give people the option to fund you as an appreciation for your work. I feel like it isn't successful if you're just looking at it as some kind of paysite. Also very few people will find you THROUGH Patreon, if no one knows who you are and you don't even have a page (Facebook, anything) I would wait on starting one. Not saying you specifically because I don't know you but when I see random newb nobodies start Patreons it kind of pisses me off because it looks money-hungry. When your passion starts depleting your resources because outside demand is so high for your product (your modeling, your photography, etc.) THAT'S when you start a Patreon.

Aug 15 16 07:45 pm Link

Model

Julia Steel

Sylvania, Ohio, US

Also you don't HAVE to only shoot content for Patrons, giving them exclusive first looks and commenting back to them all is sometimes enough to make them happy. When you start making thousands off of it, THEN you can start doing that shit. Don't over-promise things and get overwhelmed.

Aug 15 16 07:49 pm Link

Photographer

Super Dimension Foto

Portland, Oregon, US

I have one.  Had it for a year.   I average around $40 to $50 a month.  I think it models benefit from it more than a photographers.  It is much easier for a model to grow an online social following with less effort than it is for a photographer.

Aug 19 16 09:21 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

If you don't put in the work, you don't make money. In addition to simply creating the interesting content you have to heavily promote it on basically every other social media site. If hours a day keeping track of all that isn't doable then it wont work.

Aug 19 16 10:39 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I've been using it since February and I like it. My only complaint is their billing procedure results in a lot of hit & runs. Pledges aren't charged until the first of the month, so someone can pledge, download all of the content and then cancel before they're charged. It hasn't been a huge issue, but it's annoying none-the-less. One way I've combated this is to post just one image per day rather than full sets of images.

Someone last month posted that Patreon sent them a newsletter saying patrons were going to start getting charged right when they sign up, but I don't think that actually happened.

Aug 19 16 11:35 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Here's a promo trailer I made for one of my local model's Patreon page..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrjXv0f-JRY

Aug 21 16 02:11 pm Link

Photographer

Eye of the World

Corvallis, Oregon, US

As a consumer I am not a big fan for a few reasons. Like most, I have a fixed amount I can devote to "entertainment" each month. Patreon limits how I can spread those funds around. Let me compare that to another site - Zivity. I may have some favorite artists, but realistically not everything they post may strike my fancy. So when they post something outstanding I send some votes, but if another set is meh, my votes go elsewhere. That is a built in incentive to post high quality content. With Patreon, if new content is slow in being added or if the quality slips, I have to be the one to cancel out. I don't want my support to be sent automatically whether they are posting anything of value to me that month or not.

My second peeve is with the tiered pricing. Pledge a dollar and get this, 5 dollars get that, etc.That reminds me of the discussions we have had here on stripper rates. And as been said above, without any previews to evaluate the content you are signing up for it is more of a crapshoot. It is like web camming or lap dances, where the objective is to tease the customer and milk them for increasing amounts without ever actually knowing what you are buying until after the fact.

So for me, sites where I can shift my spending easily and I know exactly what I will be getting are more attractive.

Aug 21 16 03:53 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Eye of the World wrote:
My second peeve is with the tiered pricing. Pledge a dollar and get this, 5 dollars get that, etc.That reminds me of the discussions we have had here on stripper rates. And as been said above, without any previews to evaluate the content you are signing up for it is more of a crapshoot. It is like web camming or lap dances, where the objective is to tease the customer and milk them for increasing amounts without ever actually knowing what you are buying until after the fact.

But... with Patreon, you don't get charged till the first of every month. So you can pledge a certain amount and then cancel before being billed if the content isn't up to snuff.

Aug 21 16 10:22 pm Link

Photographer

Eye of the World

Corvallis, Oregon, US

But my point is that maybe this month and next everything is great, then they don't post anything new for a month or two so I cancel. But then I hear there is new content posted so I have to sign up again to find out if things are back on track. And I would have to do that for every artist I am interested in. If there are 10 artists whose work I like then I have to proactively "work" those 10 sites every month to be sure I am getting enough bang for my buck.

Like I said, that is my opinion as a *consumer*, from my vantage as an artist it can be a good deal. While there are some people who will sign up, download everything they can and then cancel, I think most people are lazy. So for artists, once someone is signed on they tend to stay until there is a strong enough motivation to go through the process of canceling. That is why money-back guarantees work so well, because even the unhappy customers rarely send the product back.

Aug 22 16 09:57 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Eye of the World wrote:
But my point is that maybe this month and next everything is great, then they don't post anything new for a month or two so I cancel. But then I hear there is new content posted so I have to sign up again to find out if things are back on track. And I would have to do that for every artist I am interested in.

Creators can choose between charging monthly OR per thing.  If you're posting several times a month, monthly is best, but if you're likely to go a month or two between posts, a per thing basis is better for your fans.

Aug 22 16 11:00 am Link

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

Creators can choose between charging monthly OR per thing.  If you're posting several times a month, monthly is best, but if you're likely to go a month or two between posts, a per thing basis is better for your fans.

How do you post a one-time purchase type reward? Everything I can find only allows for monthly contributions - not a one-timer.

Aug 22 16 01:25 pm Link

Model

Magda Kulpinska

Paris, Île-de-France, France

Why would anyone pay to see my pictures if they can see them
For free on Instagram and FB..?

Aug 23 16 09:07 am Link

Photographer

Eye of the World

Corvallis, Oregon, US

Magda Kulpinska wrote:
Why would anyone pay to see my pictures if they can see them
For free on Instagram and FB..?

In my observation, those using Patreon are posting full sets of pics and often other extras (signed prints, etc) on their Patreon page and only posting teaser pics on other media to drive traffic to the pay site.

Aug 23 16 03:47 pm Link

Model

Sabryna S

Doylestown, Pennsylvania, US

I've had my Patreon for about a year or so now. It's doing pretty well. I have to agree with a point that was said earlier that it works better if you already have an established "fanbase" or followers, just randomly starting one and hoping someone will support you isn't likely going to work (and by "you" I mean generally speaking). On mine I basically post "sneak peaks", behind the scenes, mini sets, etc. I tend to post a few times a week so I have it set to the monthly payout option.

Aug 24 16 06:09 am Link