Forums > General Industry > How do you handle model unhappy about posting pic?

Photographer

Toto Photo

Belmont, California, US

Sarkiko wrote:
I want to talk to her again because I'm just completely confused as to what happened. Especially now that I've seen some of her other photos online since posting this originally. If the issue is she just doesn't want me to tag her/mention a certain profile then I can work with that. I know the photo isn't the question. She loved it, other people who saw it before it came down liked it.

Did you ever talk to her again. You got me curious too.

Sep 09 16 10:32 am Link

Photographer

Sarkiko

Fort Lee, New Jersey, US

Toto Photo wrote:

Did you ever talk to her again. You got me curious too.

Still can't make sense of it. A lot of things she said were just kind of bizarre. It really wasn't worth thinking about much longer. Contact another photographer she worked with and got a similar sentiment. She hasn't been active on MM in a very long time so not worth DNR'ing her in my profile.

Sep 09 16 12:40 pm Link

Photographer

Sarkiko

Fort Lee, New Jersey, US

No update with the original model but I got the opportunity to do the shot again with another model that was really great to work with.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/41690454

Edit: Image removed you after seeing mod message. You can click on link to it in my portfolio to view. (oops thought he was a mod)

Dec 21 16 04:28 pm Link

Photographer

SunshineModels

Burlington, Vermont, US

There isn't any one way to handle this kind of situation.
I've had two lawyers call me.  One paid me not to publish it again.
One backed off.   ( I told him who my lawyer was).
If the model calls and is nice about it, then I'm nice about it.
Model calls, says she's in the army now..ok no problem.
Dominatrix is teaching in Catholic school now..  doesn't want it published again.. sorry you have to at least pay back what I paid you.
College junior calls before senior year graduation and says it could be bad for her career...she couldn't think of that before????

The release may say you can do whatever you want but you have to be really stupid to take that literally, and do something the model never expected.

PS:
If someone is dumb enough to sell an image for an aids or other disease ad
Without the models approval ....   LMAO

Dec 24 16 11:38 am Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Sarkiko wrote:
No update with the original model but I got the opportunity to do the shot again with another model that was really great to work with.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/41690454

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/161221/15/585b168fda04a.jpg

Sorry, but this is a +18 image.

Dec 25 16 03:18 am Link

Model

Jac k

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

How did she not want to show too much skin? Definitely sounds like significant other didn't approve. Keep them up don't use models name.

Dec 25 16 06:49 am Link

Photographer

the_w_photography

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

IMHO too many "wanna be" models on here not taking this seriously. My short answer would be to say take it down to save face and possible embarrassment. I think the writing was on the wall in all the red flags you got prior to shoot. Maybe pick someone with more of a track record and history next time so you don't get burned. Sorry this happened!

Dec 25 16 07:22 am Link

Photographer

SunshineModels

Burlington, Vermont, US

To OP;

Did she know about the bondage and fetish work in your port?
Just curious.

Dec 25 16 11:16 am Link

Photographer

Eye of the World

Corvallis, Oregon, US

Risen Phoenix Photo wrote:

So why did you re-post it?

Dec 26 16 06:31 am Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

On different occasions, I've had a model contact me that something in their life changed and please ditch the photos of them. Sometimes it's the shots with some skin, sometimes they don't want their face associated with modeling.

I've complied. I hope I'm not here to make people feel bad, and I think their security in life means more to the cosmos than my showing off that extra 1% of my body of work with models for the sake of my artistic brilliance [/sarcasm].

Not saying one should be happy about it. In fact, it can be one of any number of factors that might ultimately discourage one from shooting.

Dec 26 16 07:13 am Link

Photographer

All Yours Photography

Lawton, Oklahoma, US

Have you already sent her any photos beyond the one proof?  If you decide to go with her request not to post them, she should not get the fruits of the shoot either.

Dec 26 16 08:51 am Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Top Gun Digital wrote:
I think the real key to avoiding drama is to work with seasoned professionals who really understand how the game is played.

Both times I had problems this year with models wanting pictures taken down (which makes like four times in nine years), they were "professionals".  One, relatively new, the other had been shooting nudes for pay for at least four years.  She still thought she could get them all removed from the internet.

Ironically, I had a problem with a "my first nudes" model posting a couple dozen of the nude proofs.

Dec 26 16 09:01 am Link

Photographer

Ponte Ryuurui

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

Two things could have happened here. She either tricked you and wanted to have pictures for herself (bf for example), and she knew she has to sign a release so had no choice. Or, as others pointed out here, either her partner, family or whoever close to her pressured her to take them down. Bit strange how quickly that call came in though.

Regardless, legally you have the right to post them but think if it really is about whats legal. Modelling world is small words gets around, and drama never brings happiness.

Look at it from the positive side. You got some experience shooting, always a good thing, and learned that not all models have professional attitude. Also if this was a shoot for a client who would use the photos for whatever purpose, tings would get much more complex.

Move on and keep shooting!

Dec 26 16 11:57 am Link

Model

Mina Salome

Los Angeles, California, US

Hmmm, glad you were able to find a model who could help you reproduce the shot for your portfolio, but in my opinion the original model sounds very unprofessional, and it sounds like you would be better off working with more committed models in the future.  Showing up two hours late is a huge red flag, as is disapproving of you posting the image that was agreed upon when setting up the shoot.  Legally, (though I don't know what was in your model release) I'd say you are probably within your right to keep the photo up whether or not she likes it, though if I were in your position, I probably would have taken it down by now, myself.   However, I'd say if a model exhibits this kind of behavior in the future, cancel or decline the shoot.  Whether it's a trade or a paid shoot, you deserve more professionalism from the other party.

Dec 27 16 06:28 pm Link

Photographer

BobBarford Photo

York, Pennsylvania, US

I had a model recently say that she did not like the way her face looked in the image. Although it did look fine to me I did take the image down. Later the next day she posted several images that she liked both on instagram and on facebook as well as letting me know that two of the images may be published.

Maintaining a good relationship with most models is important. Yes, although the photographer may own the copyright, model release ect.. and have every right to post an image, in my personal opinion unless there is some overwhelming need to post one specific image I would just take the image down.

Jan 04 17 09:38 am Link

Photographer

P U R A W

London, England, United Kingdom

Read the 1st paragraph.

2 words f# her!!!

You negotiated, releases were signed etc, and now she's trying to force your hand.

I f# hate when models try to pull that bs, I proceed to block them from anywhere I'm connected with them, and cut/irradicate them from my creative circle. 

It will leave a bad taste in your mouth/ at somepoint, I don't need the hassle, negativity, childish tantrums, and I'm not prepared to deal with it.
A deal is a deal, you honor your end of a deal simple, there's no ifs or buts or backtracking with me, you try it one time you are outta here, no time for games or funny behavior.

It might sound quite outlandish/ott

But...

(Trust me when I say you cannot reason with someone, that is that un-reasonable), I tried it did/does not work.

Also it'll get round tbat your a soft touch, and that you'll role over if a model/creatives yelps a little louder, nope not me Sumny Jim.

P.s
Good luck

Even more so if she knows where you live (.....)

Jan 04 17 10:09 am Link

Photographer

P U R A W

FallenEcho wrote:
Why Is avoiding unnecessary drama in this situation weak?

Because people like to take the piss, and if they know they can, they'll continue doing it with you or others.

No! People need to say 'No' sometimes, why..?, because maybe they say yes the other 99% of the time, in which case that person really needs to get a grip and buck the trend.

Sometimes people need there bullshit highlighted to them, and there's no polite way of making them aware aside from being upfront and direct.

Jan 04 17 10:44 am Link

Photographer

P U R A W

Sarkiko wrote:
I only posted the one photo she didn't ask, she demanded I take it down. And then she told me I can't post any of the revealing shots I took online which constituted the vast majority of the photos we took.

People say there are two sides,

BUT...

She sounds like a complete (insert any indignation here....)

Jan 04 17 11:05 am Link

Photographer

Sarkiko

Fort Lee, New Jersey, US

Risen Phoenix Photo wrote:

Why are you saying that? are 18+ images not allowed on the forums? Or does the image not represent the type of photo I described?

Jan 19 17 09:59 am Link

Photographer

Sarkiko

Fort Lee, New Jersey, US

SunshineModels wrote:
To OP;

Did she know about the bondage and fetish work in your port?
Just curious.

Yes.

All Yours Photography wrote:
Have you already sent her any photos beyond the one proof?  If you decide to go with her request not to post them, she should not get the fruits of the shoot either.

I think I mentioned it earlier in the thread but as soon as I got the call I removed all the photos so she couldn't have access to them. I got a text asking what happened to the pics. Like I'm going to leave them up so she can download them after she tells me she thought I was only going to view the pictures privately.

Jan 19 17 10:07 am Link

Photographer

Roy Hubbard

East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania, US

Sarkiko wrote:

Why are you saying that? are 18+ images not allowed on the forums? Or does the image not represent the type of photo I described?

Yeah, no 18+ images in the forums. But what constitutes an 18+ image is a call for a moderator to make.

Jan 19 17 01:30 pm Link

Photographer

Mikey McMichaels

New York, New York, US

Sarkiko wrote:
Cliffs: I posted a picture from a shoot I did this week with a model. The shot was in line with what we discussed, she signed a release and the picture was tastefully done and looked great. She looked great in it too. It was an implied nude shot with her hands and arms covering nipples and crotch. Got a call right after asking me to take it down. I was just heading out and told her I'd take it down as a courtesy until we talked more.

Here's the full story. I'm an experienced photographer who is just getting back into it after a long break and I'm looking for models to do TFP shoots to rebuild my portfolio. A couple of months ago I found her ad on CL where she was looking for photographers to photograph her so we can both add to our portfolios. Her title was something along the lines of "Build your portfolio with me as your model". I sent her examples of my older work. Lots of nudes in that. We decided we would do some implied nudes.

We kept in touch here and there but I had some family issues that kept me from booking a shoot and setting up my shooting space and I don't know what was going on on her end but she wouldn't respond for a while. Asking me to resend her my phone number, email address, etc.

I hang out sometimes close to the town she lives in and asked her to let me know if she wants to meet before the shoot but she never responded. She had some, but not a lot of experience modelling and at one point had an account on here but took it down.

We arranged a day to shoot. The a day or 2 before she told me she had a service person coming to her place that day and wasn't sure exactly when she'd make it. I told her it was fine just let me know as soon as she can when she's done.

Day of shoot she tells me things that indicate she's not ready to shoot. Nails, hair, waxing, etc. She wants to meet first. I'm  a bit ticked off that I got everything ready to shoot. I shoot at home and I have to move furniture and set up lights for each shoot. And in the two months since I first contacted her I've done a few shoots and I'm lining up more models so I'm not in the same situation finding talent that I was when we first contacted each other. I told her I'm set up to shoot her today and I didn't think she conducted herself professionally and told her if we don't shoot today I might not want to reschedule.

She said she would come. I sent her a copy of my model release that I told her I would expect her to sign. Part of the release indicates she waives any right to inspect or approve the finished product or the use. She signs the release when she gets here. She tells me she's going to be at my place at a certain time. She got to my town earlier to hit a salon to get her nails fixed. Fifteen minutes after she was supposed to be here I text her and she tells me she decided to do more than just nails and tells me she'll be here later. That time passes again and still no word. Finally shows up almost 2 hours after she told me she would.

She shows up, she looks as described and we had a really great shoot. We both enjoyed it and we took some pictures. She had to leave before she gave me the time I asked for but she's the one that said she'd like to shoot with me again. Most of the shoot she wasn't wearing anything. When she came out of the dressing room I asked her if she wanted to do some nudes too (she mentioned in her ad some nude magazine offers she was getting) and she said yes. Did some of those. Did the implied nude shoots then she had to go before we got to any lingerie shots.

During the shoot I was showing her the shots here and there and she said she liked them. After the shoot I sent her a thank you email and included a larger version of a proof from the shoot. She responded politely, thanked me told me she loved the photo and looked forward to shooting with me again. It was very similar to the one I posted.

Photo looked great, she looked great, could be on the cover of a magazine by the checkout aisle in the supermarket. I tagged her in the photo because I thought it would help her. Get a call shortly after posting it asking me to take it down and she doesn't want to reveal that much online. Basically said she thought those were for us privately or something like that which is not at all what we discussed. Very clear I would be posting pics online to promote my photography, very clear the types of photos we were going to take. Should have been obvious to her she wasn't wearing any clothes, was showing her pics while we were shooting and an example after the shoot.

Wondering how other people handle this situation. Legally I think I'm in the clear but I want everyone to be happy if I can. I also don't want to have wasted all that time between the waiting, the emailing, the shoot, the editing and I took some amazing photos of her that would really help my photography.

If you want to shoot with her again, take it down.

Some people will think you're an asshole for not taking it down. If you don't mind that, and any repercussions that may come with that, don't take it down.

If your decision is based on what the law allows and not considering her feelings, don't take it down.

When you find yourself having a hard time booking trade shoots a few months from now, look to see if the models who aren't shooting with you are on her various social medial friends lists and realize that some will decide they don't want to shoot with you because you left the photo up.

Jan 27 17 02:55 am Link