Photographer

George Davidson Photos

Dalzell, South Carolina, US

I'm done with MM

Aug 29 16 01:19 pm Link

Photographer

Carle Photo

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

If your booking models left & right off of your website or Facebook or in person, use the websites & methods that work for you.

If you're having an issue booking models in general, then you might want to rethink your own booking process.

MM is rarely the ONLY problem, even with all the glitches and bugs, & high factor of time wasting flakes.

Aug 29 16 01:24 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Scanlon

Encino, California, US

So what are you going to do instead?

Your choices seem to be:
1. Give up model photography
2. Get agency models at agency rates
3. Get models other ways that are just as likely to have a high flake rate

Aug 29 16 01:25 pm Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

No-Shows can be frustrating for sure.  I took half a year or more off due to that frustration about 5 years ago.

Since then, I always require a phone confirmation one hour prior and have never had a cancelation since.  I also look at every shoot as something that may or may not happen.  I never invest anything in a specific shoot and have an alternative plan for my time should the model cancel.  No big deal that way if they do.

No-shows and cancellations are not likely to be better when booking independent models via other sources.  So unless you want to hang it up or are in position hire agency models, best figure out how to manage it the best you can.

Aug 29 16 02:21 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

I think you may want to move this to the critique section for better information.

That being said... This does happen to newer photographers on this site.  Were these no show shoots where you were going to be paying the model? Or were they TF? Chances are there was initial interest to work with you. But then a model, especially if it is a trade shoot will want to get some value for the work you are producing.  In other words will this photographers pictures improve my portfolio.  If somewhere along the way they feel they will not get images they can use they most likely won't show up.

I remember when I was new I would always ask these amazing models to shoot TF with me. Most of the time they wouldn't respond to me or wanted me to pay $100 an hour or they no showed.  It is frustrating.  But as I became a better photographer and gained more experience it was easier and easier to find models who would not flake who showed up and ended up loving the work I did with them. I now average 3 shoots a week and have done so for the last 6 years.  I also shoot 95% trade.

I might also suggest you check your spelling in your profile.  You have some critical words mis spelled like massage instead of message.

Detail do help.

Best of luck

Aug 29 16 02:41 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

vikingfotos wrote:
I'm done with MM

Yes, it is MM fault, no doubt.

Aug 29 16 02:57 pm Link

Photographer

Seiran

Topeka, Kansas, US

vikingfotos wrote:
I'm done with MM

That damn MM. Why don't you provide better models? xD

Aug 29 16 03:40 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

vikingfotos wrote:
I'm done with MM

Good.  There are too many people here anyway.  borat

Aug 29 16 03:41 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

MM is perfect !!!
Blame the OP

Aug 29 16 03:48 pm Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

vikingfotos wrote:
I'm done with MM

This thread would be a lot more fun if it were posted in the Critique section.

Aug 29 16 05:28 pm Link

Photographer

WisconsinArt

Nashotah, Wisconsin, US

Risen Phoenix Photo wrote:
I think you may want to move this to the critique section for better information.

It's really, really hard to get better if models don't show up.

Aug 29 16 05:49 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

I had one cancellation the night before the shoot.  The model gave me a valid reason.

I've had two flakes.  In both cases I suspected that the models would not show up so I took a tripod and did some self portraits and other experiments.  The first case turned out to be understandable and the second case cancelled her MM account just before the shoot.

The only model that bothered me was the one who refused to give me a cell phone number and instead would rather cancel.

Aug 29 16 05:57 pm Link

Photographer

NG Photos

Cleveland, Ohio, US

If a model flakes?  Go eat some wings.

There, fixed it.

Aug 29 16 06:41 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

I did a small group shoot today where a MUA confirmed she was coming only to not show but she did text me claiming she had a flat.    Something I have doubts about because days earlier she wanted to do make-up but never followed up.   She wrote me from Facebook but I've had flakes from MM as well.    Lets not throw barbs at the OP's work by the way.   I see it this way.   Most of the time I ain't paying and while I think my work is okay, models can't eat it or pay bills with it nor is it likely to gain them paid assignments.   So I get why some don't come through.   I only fault those who don't let me know and while I'd not work with the MUA with the flat.   I'm not angry.

Unless you're paying and heck even when you do sometimes people flake.   A great book to read is The Five Agreements.
This book explains why you should never take what others do or say personally.   OP what your model did isn't about MM or because of you, its on her/him.

Aug 29 16 10:09 pm Link

Photographer

John Silva Photography

Fairfield, California, US

vikingfotos wrote:
I'm done with MM

Why do JUMPERS, always have to announce their JUMP?!?!

Is it kinda like leaving a suicide note??

Why can't they just go quietly and leave the rest of us ALONE!!! LoL

Aug 29 16 11:13 pm Link

Photographer

Keith Moody

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Do what I do, Viking.  Just shoot sports.  The teams always show up...  I only come here for the chit-chat.

Aug 29 16 11:26 pm Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

vikingfotos wrote:
I'm done with MM

Its not the site one communicates w/, nor the type of compensation offered, its the person you're working with. & yes, photographers will do no-show as well.

My no-call/no-show detector dropped dramatically when I started giving people a "I'm looking forward to working with you tomorrow" type text the day before. I'd like to think it gives them a face-saving way out to, well, back out in case they get cold feet or discover they have a conflict of some sort.

Not that either is good but I'd rather have a late-cancellation the night before instead of waking up at the ass-crack of dawn, driving to some remote locale, waiting for about an hour, giving up & driving home wondering if the model was hurt or some other random thing.

Aug 30 16 06:55 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Alannah The Stylist

Los Angeles, California, US

vikingfotos wrote:
I'm done with MM

https://i66.tinypic.com/osslg1.gif

Aug 30 16 09:18 am Link

Photographer

Mary Durante Youtt

Barnegat, New Jersey, US

For the most part, I don't have that problem... but occasionally it happens to a lot of photographers for whatever reason.  I had a male model for an underwater fashion shoot from CL.  We texted and talked.  He kept mentioning that he was fine with full nudity.  Great, but this is a fashion shoot, you will be clothed.  I told him my husband would be my assistant on this shoot as he is also a photographer.  He came to my house, met my husband, filled out the model release and followed us to the location.  I pulled into the long driveway and he texted me that he changed his mind, he felt uncomfortable.  WTF?  Another model, from MM said she was waiting for me to give her the address of the shoot.  Hmmmm, it was in the info shoot sheet that I sent you.  Which she had told me she received.  DUH!!!!   Weeks later we did shoot together.

Things happen sometimes... if a model wants to shoot with me, they usually show up even for TF shoots.  They want to collaborate and put something different in their portfolios or just gain experience and some exposure.

And I always confirm the day before.

Aug 30 16 09:31 am Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

WisconsinArt wrote:

It's really, really hard to get better if models don't show up.

So what do you suggest he does.  Your retort to me does nothing for the OP.  BTW he may have to pay models until he has created a stronger portfolio, that will allow him to book more Trade sessions.  If not he will need to find one or two models local to him who are willing to work with him on an on going basis

Aug 31 16 12:47 pm Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

vikingfotos wrote:
I'm done with MM

And yet  your account is still active and you've logged in today.

https://media.giphy.com/media/122FxtM7CQL70s/giphy.gif

Aug 31 16 01:07 pm Link

Photographer

Iktan

New York, New York, US

Bye

Aug 31 16 01:47 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Aug 31 16 03:49 pm Link

Photographer

Flex Photography

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

vikingfotos wrote:
I'm done with MM

He'll miss you!  https://image.freepik.com/free-vector/disney-mickey-mouse-talking_366-18.jpg

Aug 31 16 05:01 pm Link

Photographer

WisconsinArt

Nashotah, Wisconsin, US

Post hidden on Sep 01, 2016 02:56 pm
Reason: not helpful

Sep 01 16 03:50 am Link