Forums > Photography Talk > Flashpoint Rovelight 600

Photographer

A-M-P

Orlando, Florida, US

600 watts, internal battery, internal wireless trigger and it does HSS. I just came across this and placed an order but wondering if anyone else can offer me their experience.

Gone are the days of hauling a battery and a monolight out to the field it seems they have compacted everything into one unit for a pretty amazing price only $369

Sep 12 16 06:38 am Link

Photographer

JHLePhotography

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I've owned & used the Rovelight 600 previously. It's quite a nice Strobe to use for on location Shoots. I'd suggest purchasing a separate battery as a spare, which will assist in ensuring that you're prepared for a long day's worth of Shooting.

Cons:

The recycle time is slow compared to other HSS portable battery powered Strobes which are currently on the market.

The default remote trigger is quite horrible with changing power levels & triggering Strobe & will auto power off after a few minutes of inactivity.

Overall thoughts: It's a good Strobe to use when you understand its limitations & are not needing quick recycle speeds with your Shoots.

Sep 12 16 07:41 am Link

Photographer

Cool Hand Mike

Jacksonville, Florida, US

The recycle time even when on "fast" is slower than I want. It feels slower than similar power on Vagabond 2/Vagabond Mini.

I've ripped out 2 of the sync port so if you're going to sync it other than using it wireless you've got to be careful.

Larger modifiers on the mount can be a concern. Unit has difficulty keeping a 28" beauty dish up.

Depending on the modifier you choose and the wind, remember to have some counterweight lower on the stand.

Other than that it is pretty good. I

Sep 12 16 08:23 am Link

Photographer

E Thompson Photography

Hyattsville, Maryland, US

Congratulations...I have two and have been very satisfied. I love using the HSS function. I don't use the OEM remotes to trigger the flashes but they have been replaced with an upgraded unit that stay on much longer. I use Pocket Wizards with mine with no problems with the sync ports or using a 28" beauty dish, 48" octabox or a Phototek 60"Softlighter II at interior or outside locations. Recycle times can be a problem at full and half power but that can be reckon with by controlling the pace of the shoot. Of course, YMMV.

Sep 12 16 10:37 am Link

Photographer

Chris Chua

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Purchased one earlier this year. Great steal for the price. Also, lot of positive reviews online. They had issues w/ the original trigger it came with and replaced it w/ a second version that works with no issues. This is just a standard trigger though. For HSS, I use Yn622 and it works flawlessly. Also, customer support is very good, quick to respond (from other threads I've read).

Sep 12 16 10:47 am Link

Photographer

Jim Lafferty

Brooklyn, New York, US

Edit: sorry, n/m

These look nice. Have Streaklights and can't stop telling people how great they are.

Sep 13 16 04:31 pm Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

Los Angeles, California, US

A-M-P wrote:
600 watts, internal battery, internal wireless trigger and it does HSS. I just came across this and placed an order but wondering if anyone else can offer me their experience.

Gone are the days of hauling a battery and a monolight out to the field it seems they have compacted everything into one unit for a pretty amazing price only $369

My friend and I both purchased this strobe. We're both having a problem with HSS as detailed below in my email to Adorama.

===============================

Hello, I'm writing about a potential problem I'm hoping you can help me with.

After some testing with the RoveLight 600b, we're experiencing an uneven exposure across the frame (NOT the black band of the shutter curtain) when shooting high speed sync.

Exposure on the bottom (in horizontal) and right (in vertical) is overexposed in high speed sync when using various power settings in HSS on the strobe, and different shutter speeds and apertures on the camera.

Tested on 2 different cameras and 2 HSS trigger systems

1) Canon 6D, with HSS capable Yongnuo Triggers
2) Nikon D750 with HSS capable Pocket Wizard Triggers (TT1 and TT5)

Both cameras exhibit the same uneven exposure at the bottom and right edges of the frame. Where one would normally see a black band when the shutter is synced higher than 1/200 or 1/250, we're seeing the exposure as being about 1 stop brighter on the frame edges.

So the HSS is working, but exposure across the frame is not consistent. I have image samples if that helps.

===============================

They responded that the unit was probably defective since it was exhibiting the same symptoms on different trigger and camera systems. I had a new one shipped but the same thing is happening.

The problem happens on my strobe, as well as the one my friend purchased.

It's easily correctable in LR and C1 and can be cropped out if you shoot a little wider. Still, it's a weird problem to have.

Anyone else noticing the same issue? It's more apparent when shooting against a wall, or overpowering ambient by more than just a little bit.

Sep 13 16 04:40 pm Link

Photographer

JGC Photography

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

I own three Rovelights...Decent light terrible trigger.
I have no issues with good sized light mods....Chinese inconsistencies I suppose.
I have shot with them for three out of door seasons (April to late October) here...They owe me nothing.

Would I buy them in today's market where quality battery powered strobes are abundant?
No, but I am ready to spend more money on battery powered lights. I am probably going to go Profoto...For the cost of one of which you could probably buy 6 or more Rovelights....money is always a consideration.

Are you sure you need 600watts?
There is very little power difference between the  AD360 and the Rovelight and the new AD360 trigger is high quality and can function as TTL if that matters to you. Adding the splitter cable makes the 360 recycle much more respectably. In my opinion if you don't own this light and you shoot remotely or on the fly you are making you life tougher than it needs to be.
If you go this route be sure to get the Bowens to speedlight adapter....My AD360s never leave those.

If you do need 600 watts I would suggest you spend a bit more and get the (Adorama) AD 600.
No muss no fuss it just works..

Sep 17 16 02:56 am Link

Photographer

MichelleJoPhotos

Addison, Texas, US

Chris Chua wrote:
Purchased one earlier this year. Great steal for the price. Also, lot of positive reviews online. They had issues w/ the original trigger it came with and replaced it w/ a second version that works with no issues. This is just a standard trigger though. For HSS, I use Yn622 and it works flawlessly. Also, customer support is very good, quick to respond (from other threads I've read).

I find it interesting the yongnuos are working out well for you. I have the same triggers and boy have had a ton of misfires. Other than that its a decent light and the trigger supplied with it and the HsS are okay.

Oct 13 16 11:01 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Feliciano

New York, New York, US

I may pick up an XPLOR soon, seems similar, but I've read better reviews on the triggering.
I thought of getting a new battery for my very old Dynalite XP1100 (for Profoto Compact), but it's just so heavy compared to the latest units. The remote control is pushing me toward XPLOR.

Oct 14 16 06:00 pm Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Los Angeles, California, US

A-M-P wrote:

I have four, and the fourth one I went a bowens mount.

Used them commercially-they rock. Haven't done HSS yet. They are great lights-I don't use them at full power.

Oct 14 16 06:10 pm Link