Forums > Model Colloquy > Modeling Rates Internationally?

Model

Kajira Bound

Yucca Valley, California, US

Hello! I have been modeling in the US primarily and I know the rates for various genres here differ by geographical location. How about internationally? In Ireland I seemed to only be able to get $50/hr US equivalent for art nudes.  I plan to go to Japan and I am not sure what to ask per hour.  Is there a site that anyone can point me to?  Do any international models mind posting the ranges on what to ask for in different countries?  Thank you

Sep 14 16 05:11 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Kajira wrote:
Hello! I have been modeling in the US primarily and I know the rates for various genres here differ by geographical location.

Do you, really?  I would think that modeling rates will vary greatly from location to location, based on "supply & demand".  Modeling rates is, say, San Francisco might vary greatly from rates in, say, Cleveland.  I would expect that rates in London would vary greatly from rates in Calias, Rome, Dublin, Nice, Madrid, Athens, etc.

There is no substitute from knowing the local going rate, and I imagine that there is no such thing as a continent wide rate.

Other than that comment, I can't help you with the local rates in Europe.  Wish I could -- it would be interesting.

Sep 14 16 07:46 pm Link

Photographer

P R E S T O N

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

Here in the UK established and reasonably busy internet models charge £25 to £35 ($35 to $45) per hour and rates for half and full days average around £100 and £200 ($135 and $270) respectively. That's for levels up to and including art nude. For bondage and light fetish rates will be a little higher but will vary from photographer to photographer and according to usage.

I ought to add though that it would almost certainly be illegal for you to work here and if you were caught doing so you'd likely be deported and barred from visiting the UK ever again, for any reason. The same would apply if a UK model was caught working in the US.

You should also bear in mind that there are people on sites like this who report models who work illegally. Furthermore it's a public forum and sharing information which gives people reason to believe you might have worked illegally isn't a good idea.

Sep 15 16 08:13 am Link

Photographer

TomKi

Oslo, Oslo, Norway

Travelling models to Norway, (often from Czech Republic) charge € 250/4 hours up to art nude. 1 hour € 75. I think the same rates goes for Sweden. I have also seen some announce € 200/4 hours.

Lately I have noticed that many of them cancel their planned trips, probably because of not enough bookings

Sep 17 16 11:34 pm Link

Model

Magda Kulpinska

Paris, Île-de-France, France

I don't know about nudes. It all depends on the portfolio but 200€ for half day non-nude is reasonable.

Sep 18 16 04:59 am Link

Photographer

Eyesso

Orlando, Florida, US

Supply and Demand.....the USA is sort of prudish, so nudity comes at a price, and possibly the highest in the world.  $100/hr seems to be the standard here. 

Europe is going to be more of a "no big deal" place when it comes to nudity, so it's easier to find a nude model, so demand is less, and payment is less.   Probably similar with Australia. 

Japan/Asia....I guess their attitudes are similar to the USA regarding nudity, but I don't know about the demand there.  If you do some searching in the "Casting" section you can gauge the supply and demand, maybe write to some of the art models that are currently over there to see how things are.

Sep 18 16 11:00 am Link

Photographer

Marcio Faustino

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

Eyesso wrote:
Europe is going to be more of a "no big deal" place when it comes to nudity, so it's easier to find a nude model, so demand is less, and payment is less.   Probably similar with Australia. 

I don'k know where in Europe you are talking about. Germany which public nudity is not a big deal, you won't find models for less than €100/h usually more than that. This rates aplies also for no nudity.

I guess the crazy high rates that midels demand in Germany is because of lack of models. I have posted annonces looking for models in 4 facebook communities, and models website like MM and the result is Zero so far. my shooting rate is once a year.

It is the very opposite of Ireland where public nudity is not ok but you find many models to choose soon after you post a casting call. And rates are less the tha ralph of german models rates.

Sep 19 16 03:26 am Link

Photographer

Eric212Grapher

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

I just did a search using the MM castings for Ireland. One entry said contact them, and the other entry said $120/hr. Everything is negotiable. Use other modeling website that are more specific to your destinations, and state your asking price. Offer discounts for longer bookings since you reduce travel time for one daylong shoot versus eight one-hour shoots.

Never hurts to contact local models and ask them about references for local photographers and their going rates.

Sep 19 16 08:55 am Link

Photographer

TomFRohwer

Marcio Faustino wrote:
I don'k know where in Europe you are talking about. Germany which public nudity is not a big deal, you won't find models for less than €100/h usually more than that. This rates aplies also for no nudity.

Sorry, but that's nonsense.
You can find tons of very appropriate nude modelsmin Germany for 30 or 40 € per hour. (200 € for ~8 hours shooting for erotic video clips for night hours tv is a common standard...)

I guess the crazy high rates that midels demand in Germany is because of lack of models.

You can cobble the streets with nude models in Germany... (Models from Germany, Poland, Czechia...)

I have posted annonces looking for models in 4 facebook communities, and models website like MM and the result is Zero so far. my shooting rate is once a year.

Maybe you should try some German web communities....

Sep 19 16 10:44 am Link

Photographer

TomFRohwer

Kajira wrote:
Hello! I have been modeling in the US primarily and I know the rates for various genres here differ by geographical location. How about internationally? In Ireland I seemed to only be able to get $50/hr US equivalent for art nudes.

That's a good European rate.
(That famous "100$/hr" rates in the US at least do not fit to the official statistics regarding pro models yearly income in the US, by the way... Bureau of Labour Statistics: median income of freelance models in 2015 $27,530 per year, $13.23 per hour)

In Germany the average payment for professional fashion catalogue models is approx. 2,000 Euro per day. "Day" means: we shoot as long it takes to do the job. Maybe 8 hours, maybe 12 hours. And this applies to pro models hired by major fashion distributing companies... All these rates tend to drop as all media business rates drop for years now. (Agency provision is deducted from this 2,000 Euro, by the way. Agency provisions must not exceed 18 percent in Germany, by the way. It's regulated by law.)

Three or four years ago I had an email conversation with a rather well known US fetish model who planned to make a trip to Europe. When I asked her for her rate for a whole day she answered "$ 1,000".

Okay... That was ~ 900 Euro at that time. There is a really famous fetish, nude and erotic model from the UK - she demands 1,000 british pounds per week. That was 1,300 Euro at that time. For $ 1,000 I could have hired this model for 3 days. Not only for one day...

(And by the way: if you want to act legally you need to have a work visa if you want to do paid model jobs.)

Sep 19 16 10:48 am Link

Photographer

Luna-faetish

Berlin, Berlin, Germany

Marcio Faustino wrote:

I guess the crazy high rates that midels demand in Germany is because of lack of models. I have posted annonces looking for models in 4 facebook communities, and models website like MM and the result is Zero so far. my shooting rate is once a year.

It is the very opposite of Ireland where public nudity is not ok but you find many models to choose soon after you post a casting call. And rates are less the tha ralph of german models rates.

In Berlin its rare to get more than 50 euro for a nude shoot, almost everyone in Berlin is a nudest and some kinda model it seems ;P I haven't looked at working out of Berlin in Germany though.

In Australia people are actually very prudish, I made way more money nude modelling there than in Europe. People are super open about skimpy/sexual outfits and acting sexual unless it comes to actual nudity or actual sex work.

Sep 19 16 05:54 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

TomFRohwer wrote:

That's a good European rate.
(That famous "100$/hr" rates in the US at least do not fit to the official statistics regarding pro models yearly income in the US, by the way... Bureau of Labour Statistics: median income of freelance models in 2015 $27,530 per year, $13.23 per hour)

In Germany the average payment for professional fashion catalogue models is approx. 2,000 Euro per day. "Day" means: we shoot as long it takes to do the job. Maybe 8 hours, maybe 12 hours. And this applies to pro models hired by major fashion distributing companies... All these rates tend to drop as all media business rates drop for years now. (Agency provision is deducted from this 2,000 Euro, by the way. Agency provisions must not exceed 18 percent in Germany, by the way. It's regulated by law.)

Three or four years ago I had an email conversation with a rather well known US fetish model who planned to make a trip to Europe. When I asked her for her rate for a whole day she answered "$ 1,000".

Okay... That was ~ 900 Euro at that time. There is a really famous fetish, nude and erotic model from the UK - she demands 1,000 british pounds per week. That was 1,300 Euro at that time. For $ 1,000 I could have hired this model for 3 days. Not only for one day...

(And by the way: if you want to act legally you need to have a work visa if you want to do paid model jobs.)

I guarantee you the US Census Bureau wasnt surveying freelancing nude internet models when they came up with their stats. That same old bit gets trotted out like some set-in-stone law everyone must abide by, or as some weird attempt to discredit people who claim they get paid 100/hour in every discussion about rates. It doesn't fit this niche, it is not the end-all-be-all of modelling rates. Let it die.

Sep 20 16 11:05 am Link

Photographer

TomFRohwer

Laura UnBound wrote:
I guarantee you the US Census Bureau wasnt surveying freelancing nude internet models when they came up with their stats.

They surveyed average figures for all kinds of models...

And honestly I doubt that average nude models in the US get paid three or four times better per hour than average models in general.

And by they way: if nude models would get an average payment of 100$ per hour there would not be so many of them trying to earn $10 or $20 nibbles at Patreon... ;-)

Sep 20 16 02:16 pm Link

Model

Lisa Everhart

Sebring, Florida, US

TomFRohwer wrote:

And honestly I doubt that average nude models in the US get paid three or four times better per hour than average models in general.

And by they way: if nude models would get an average payment of 100$ per hour there would not be so many of them trying to earn $10 or $20 nibbles at Patreon... ;-)

I do and I am only part time and average in terms of looks and ability. I know many girls here who earn 100 or more on average who are full time.

Sep 20 16 06:38 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

TomFRohwer wrote:

You're right, I have no idea how much money myself or my peers have actually made...They probably all just lie. For fun.

Sep 20 16 07:42 pm Link

Photographer

NT Photography

Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China

I shot models in the USA and in Hong Kong.  In general, I offered the same rates as in the US for travelling models, but I have seen travelling models asking for ridiculous amount of money.  They probably thought the "locals" do not know the rate in Europe and in the United States, and the local photographers would still pay for it. 

You should just charge what you normal rate in the US! It won't go wrong.

Sep 22 16 12:08 pm Link

Photographer

TomFRohwer

Figures are figures, facts are facts. Opinions are opinions, wishes are wishes.

It's as simple as that...

Sep 22 16 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Lisa Everhart wrote:

I do and I am only part time and average in terms of looks and ability. I know many girls here who earn 100 or more on average who are full time.

I know many full time models who make $100 per hour.

Sep 22 16 06:42 pm Link

Photographer

Vindictive Images

Houston, Texas, US

Lisa Everhart wrote:

Full time means 36-40 hours a week. Are they making that $100/hr outside of shooting?

Edited to add that I understand they're charging  and billing 100+ hour but I am surprised if someone is earning an average of $100 for every hour that they put into modeling including networking, marketing, and any other administrative time.

Sep 22 16 06:57 pm Link

Model

Lisa Everhart

Sebring, Florida, US

Vindictive Images wrote:
Full time means 36-40 hours a week. Are they making that $100/hr outside of shooting?

Edited to add that I understand they're charging  and billing 100+ hour but I am surprised if someone is earning an average of $100 for every hour that they put into modeling including networking, marketing, and any other administrative time.

This is certainly true, however, the OP's post was regarding the hourly billing rate for a shoot and this is what I responded to. If I add all the time I spend, then I am probably lucky to make minimum wage and this is why 100 an hour is so misconstrued when it is cited as some sort of outrageous fee.

*Why anyone would begrudge a model for earning an overall average minimum wage for their time, effort, skills and image is beyond me. We pay more for other services each day when we go to a store or restaurant or engage other service providers for things that we want.

Full time to me means this is how they earn their primary income. I am not aware of any 9-5 modeling gigs.

Sep 22 16 07:33 pm Link

Photographer

TomFRohwer

Vindictive Images wrote:

When you need 4 or 5 hours overhead to aquire 1 hour paid $100 (which means $20 or $25 per hour effectively) you maybe should think about lower rates because this may bring better per hour earnings. Because the number of potential customers will double or tripple or even quadruple.

And that can reduce the overhead for aquiring jobs a lot...

But of course everybody does his/her own calculation and your figures at the end of the year do not lie.

Sep 23 16 02:28 am Link

Model

Lisa Everhart

Sebring, Florida, US

TomFRohwer wrote:
When you need 4 or 5 hours overhead to aquire 1 hour paid $100 (which means $20 or $25 per hour effectively) you maybe should think about lower rates because this may bring better per hour earnings. Because the number of potential customers will double or tripple or even quadruple.

And that can reduce the overhead for aquiring jobs a lot...

But of course everybody does his/her own calculation and your figures at the end of the year do not lie.

You may have a slight point but the time spent networking, doing administrative tasks and "marketing" our clients work are somewhat fixed per client, so the reality of your scenario is more clients for a lesser rate equals more work for a lesser amount per hour. I imagine this would be the same for rates charged by a photographer or any other service based professional. Investing time and effort in diminishing returns is not always the best business plan. Sometimes less really is more.

In the end, this conversation is fundamentally about whatever exchange two people freely agree upon as fair for both. Anyone who would seek work for reasons that do not serve the needs and goals of both parties involved is simply trying to exploit the other for their own self interest.

Sep 23 16 04:23 am Link

Model

Lisa Everhart

Sebring, Florida, US

Laura UnBound wrote:
You're right, I have no idea how much money myself or my peers have actually made...They probably all just lie. For fun.

Laura, I am always amazed at how many members insist on promoting the idea that models have little to no monetary value to photographers on a site named Model Mayhem where the primary purpose is for models to be able to market themselves. I seriously doubt that many other types of members would still frequent this site if there were no models here. Maybe some members feel they can influence less experienced models to work for lesser rates if they consistently expound this point of view. Thank you for always speaking out in support of those of us who believe our time, skills and image are worth a buck or two and are able to manifest this by working hard, seeing to our customers needs and keeping our word.

Sep 23 16 04:40 am Link

Model

Lisa Everhart

Sebring, Florida, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

I know many full time models who make $100 per hour.

Thanks for saying Jerry.

Sep 23 16 05:02 am Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

There are many models who shoot trade and many photographers who shoot trade, even for nudes.
Also,
There are models who will shoot nudes for $50 per hour and some, like traveling models ,who want to come to a small market and charge $150 per hour. And there are photographers that have the spendable income to pay those models.

So then, there is a model and a photographer to fit everybodies needs. Right?

So all this back and forth is kinda stupid. I think the problem arises when a photographer who can only work trade tries to convince a model who only wants to be paid that they should shoot trade.

If you haven't figured it out by now ( photogs) models who want to get paid will work even with a guy who never took a picture before in his life before they will shoot trade even with a well known published photographers for trade. That's just the way it is.

So for those of you who can only afford to trade with a model then find and develop your own models. Work with them and teach them. Since mostly models are born not made ( I am speaking of nude art models) you will find some amazingly loyal models who want to create art with you.

For those of you who probably don't have a wife or children at home , and have a large disposable incomes. Stick with the paid models and pay them as much as the market will bear.

No one way is best. Pick the path that works best for you and quit trying to change people's minds.  Nobody's minds ever changes around here.

Sep 23 16 03:09 pm Link

Photographer

Vindictive Images

Houston, Texas, US

Risen Phoenix Photo wrote:
For those of you who probably don't have a wife or children at home , and have a large disposable incomes. Stick with the paid models and pay them as much as the market will bear.

I pay them what I pay them or, to be precise, what I value their services. I don't care what the market dictates I should pay them.

Sep 23 16 05:26 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Vindictive Images wrote:

I pay them what I pay them or, to be precise, what I value their services. I don't care what the market dictates I should pay them.

Ok so what? Good for you.

Sep 24 16 02:00 am Link

Model

Lisa Everhart

Sebring, Florida, US

Risen Phoenix Photo wrote:
Ok so what? Good for you.

Where I come from, a "market", is any medium by which two or more people freely and voluntarily conduct mutually agreeable trade on whatever terms and agreement they determine are fair and just for each.

Another member seems to have this confused with coercion or blackmail in which one or more people, for their own self interest and on their terms only, forces one or others into service against their will.

Sep 24 16 06:33 am Link

Photographer

johnlp

London, England, United Kingdom

It even varies within the UK.  London models tend to be a little more expensive, but even in London there is a wide range of reactions to offers of work, from, "I just wouldn't do nude for less than £45 per hour", to one model thanking me profusely for giving them £30 per hour.  I reckon £30-£35 per hour would get enough responses to successfully fulfil a 3 hour shoot.  Go further afield and you might get it a bit cheaper but the choice of models shrinks.

Sep 24 16 07:16 am Link

Photographer

iShoot West Side

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Eyesso wrote:
Supply and Demand.....the USA is sort of prudish, so nudity comes at a price, and possibly the highest in the world.  $100/hr seems to be the standard here. 

Gee you think???

Some models demand A$350 per hour to shoot nude. And mind you I'm talking about models based in Australia.

For those cases, I simply be polite and say "Sorry those rates are too steep for me" and look elsewhere. I never speak to those models ever again.

Sep 29 16 12:47 am Link

Photographer

D-Light

Newcastle, Limerick, Ireland

Marcio Faustino wrote:

If working in the east of Ireland, there are plenty of nude models available, the further west you go the more rare they become. That's partly because of the much lower population. I've never paid more than €50 per hour for a nude model.

Travelling models, usually American, have asked up to €120 per hour but some will negotiate. If they don't, I don't book them, there's no need, as there are alternatives.

Sep 30 16 10:50 am Link