Forums > General Industry > New Model needs Advice for Nude, Implied Modeling.

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

FilmmakerDC wrote:
Unless you have no other means to support yourself or your family, I would advise you not to shoot nude. Internet modeling has changed so much since I first started shooting 17 years ago and in my opinion, not for the better. I would advise you to think long and hard before making your decision.

Worse that having nude photos on the internet is having really bad nude photos on the internet. If you show up at the shoot and the photographer is shooting in his basement or garage and you see a wrinkled bed sheet taped to the wall with duct tape...just walk away. No good images will come from the shoot.

There are some wonderful photographers who shoot nudes but they are few and far between.

Wow, much could be said of any genre of photography not only nudes.  I think there are a number of amazing nude art photographers. Fear mongering won't help and sounds arrogant as hell. Two other points....
1. I think the OP has the discernment to pick appropriate and skilled photographers.
2. Photographer R. Michael Walker has a studio in his garage. He has more images in the MOMA then you will ever have. ( a fact not a criticism)

I say this to point out that your you can't generalize or assume.

Sep 28 16 08:53 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Risen Phoenix Photo wrote:

Wow, much could be said of any genre of photography not only nudes.  I think there are a number of amazing nude art photographers. Fear mongering won't help and sounds arrogant as hell. Two other points....
1. I think the OP has the discernment to pick appropriate and skilled photographers.
2. Photographer R. Michael Walker has a studio in his garage. He has more images in the MOMA then you will ever have. ( a fact not a criticism)

I think there is far more at stake for models who decide to pose nude ....Ridicule or worse

Especially if the photos are poorly done

THat is why i would only recommend to Models that they shoot with Photographers who specialize in the genre and do it well ( such as yourself )

Sep 28 16 08:59 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Garry k wrote:
THat is why i would only recommend to Models that they shoot with Photographers who specialize in the genre and do it well ( such as yourself )

I agree with this, (unless they are just looking for money right now.)

Jen

Sep 29 16 07:09 am Link

Photographer

AndysPrints

Falls Church, Virginia, US

Thanks but I'm sure that R. Michael Walker doesn't use a wrinkled bed sheet as a back drop so your point is moot.
Fear has nothing to do with it. My point is that it's painfully obvious that there are more hack nude photographers on Internet modeling sites than amazing nude art photographers (a fact not a criticism). If new models expect Herb Ritts chances are they will be disappointed. Once the shutter has clicked, their naked pictures (good or bad) are out there in the world for eternity.

Sep 29 16 10:14 am Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

FilmmakerDC wrote:
Thanks but I'm sure that R. Michael Walker doesn't use a wrinkled bed sheet as a back drop so your point is moot.
Fear has nothing to do with it. My point is that it's painfully obvious that there are more hack nude photographers on Internet modeling sites than amazing nude art photographers (a fact not a criticism). If new models expect Herb Ritts chances are they will be disappointed. Once the shutter has clicked, their naked pictures (good or bad) are out there in the world for eternity.

Maybe not but if he did he would make it look amazing, like he does his beat up old bath tub. I will say that Irving Klaw and his sister used a bed sheet as a back drop and his work with Bettie Paige is iconic.

Really it has more to do with the skill of the artist, and I do think models have the ability to pick wonderful photographers in that or any other genre.  Of course what you state for nude photographers is true for any other genre. Not sure why nudes as a genre is more special then any other. Especially if the model is comfortable being nude.

Sep 29 16 03:13 pm Link

Model

Achampongnanaadjoa

Detroit, Michigan, US

Thank you all for the constructive feedback and after careful consideration have decided to refrain from nudity at this point in time!

Oct 01 16 12:09 am Link

Photographer

AndysPrints

Really it has more to do with the skill of the artist, and I do think models have the ability to pick wonderful photographers in that or any other genre.  Of course what you state for nude photographers is true for any other genre. Not sure why nudes as a genre is more special then any other. Especially if the model is comfortable being nude.

I would also like to give models the benefit of the doubt when it comes to making good choices when selecting a photographer to shoot nude with but I cant ignore the sheer number of "basement nudes" where models are posing with candles, covered in rose petals, sitting with a guitar against a white back drop or wearing nothing but a Santa hat in front of a fake Christmas tree. Personally, I can't see the "fine art nude" aspect in that but hey, that might be just me. Somehow, I can't help but think that maybe just a few of those models when looking back on that decision, cringe with "posing remorse."

Nude as a genre is more special because that is the only genre that I am aware of that has the most potential to impact choices later in life. Most models in their late teens and early 20's don't yet know their path in life. Some do but most of them don't. For example, if at 28 years old, they decide to pursue a law degree, a career in law enforcement, teaching or counseling, nude images on the Internet (even under an alias) has the potential to limit their options with those careers. I'm not aware of any other genre of photography that could have the same impact.

I'm not judging nude models by any means. I've shot nudes for 10 years and will continue to support their craft in the future but all of the nude models that I personally know are not employees or have plans to work in any of the fields that I mentioned.

Oct 02 16 08:03 am Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

FilmmakerDC wrote:
I would also like to give models the benefit of the doubt when it comes to making good choices when selecting a photographer to shoot nude with but I cant ignore the sheer number of "basement nudes" where models are posing with candles, covered in rose petals, sitting with a guitar against a white back drop or wearing nothing but a Santa hat in front of a fake Christmas tree. Personally, I can't see the "fine art nude" aspect in that but hey, that might be just me. Somehow, I can't help but think that maybe just a few of those models when looking back on that decision, cringe with "posing remorse."

Nude as a genre is more special because that is the only genre that I am aware of that has the most potential to impact choices later in life. Most models in their late teens and early 20's don't yet know their path in life. Some do but most of them don't. For example, if at 28 years old, they decide to pursue a law degree, a career in law enforcement, teaching or counseling, nude images on the Internet (even under an alias) has the potential to limit their options with those careers. I'm not aware of any other genre of photography that could have the same impact.

I'm not judging nude models by any means. I've shot nudes for 10 years and will continue to support their craft in the future but all of the nude models that I personally know are not employees or have plans to work in any of the fields that I mentioned.

Who ever said those people were fine art photographers. You know what the genre is so don't say such outlandish things. I am not ashamed of what I do and neither do the models I work with. We have collaborated on wonderful images together. They are proud of the work we created as is their parents who many times support their choices. 

I always am amazed at the patronizing personalities of old white men who seem to know what is a "good" activity for younger women to be involved in. You need to give women more credit then that.

I work with a team of models, the vast majority say they don't shoot nudes but will shoot nudes with me. Almost all of the models only shoot with me and we have a true collaborator relation ship.  That way the can control the quality of the work and not work with just any fly by photographer.

They also know if their life circumstances change with a job they only have to ask and then all of their images will be deleted from my port.

Oct 02 16 08:25 am Link

Photographer

AndysPrints

Who ever said those people were fine art photographers. You know what the genre is so don't say such outlandish things. I am not ashamed of what I do and neither do the models I work with. We have collaborated on wonderful images together. They are proud of the work we created as is their parents who many times support their choices. 

I always am amazed at the patronizing personalities of old white men who seem to know what is a "good" activity for younger women to be involved in. You need to give women more credit then that.

I work with a team of models, the vast majority say they don't shoot nudes but will shoot nudes with me. Almost all of the models only shoot with me and we have a true collaborator relation ship.  That way the can control the quality of the work and not work with just any fly by photographer.

They also know if their life circumstances change with a job they only have to ask and then all of their images will be deleted from my port.

Wow, what a diatribe. I'm not sure if you haven't had coffee this morning or just feeling a little defensive but nothing that I said was about you and has nothing to do with you at all. I'm talking about Internet modeling in general. I could care less what you shoot, who you shoot or why you shoot with them or they shoot with you. I apologize for touching on some of your obvious insecurities. It was never my intention.

For the record, I'm not white so your violent yet verbose release of pent up frustration is certainly misplaced. I'm not who you are mad at. You missed the target but you obviously needed to vent.

Hope you feel better.

Oct 02 16 09:32 am Link

Photographer

Eagle Rock Photographer

Los Angeles, California, US

FilmmakerDC wrote:

If a model restricts herself to "amazing nude art" shooters, she will have scant sources of income. Especially since some of the "amazing" shooters will suggest TF. If a model wants money, and is comfortable w/ unskilled photos being distributed, then there is some nice spending money available from less-than-amazing shooters.

Oct 02 16 11:20 am Link

Photographer

Eagle Rock Photographer

Los Angeles, California, US

The above features sexist and agist and racial bigotry. What's next? Slurs against particular faiths or national origin?

Oct 02 16 11:23 am Link

Photographer

AndysPrints

Eagle Rock Photographer wrote:

If a model restricts herself to "amazing nude art" shooters, she will have scant sources of income. Especially since some of the "amazing" shooters will suggest TF. If a model wants money, and is comfortable w/ unskilled photos being distributed, then there is some nice spending money available from less-than-amazing shooters.

I totally agree. If a model doesn't  care about quality or even pictures at all, for that matter, getting naked for Benjamins from less-than-amazing shooters drives the Internet modeling economy.

Oct 02 16 11:32 am Link