Forums > General Industry > New Model needs Advice for Nude, Implied Modeling.

Model

Achampongnanaadjoa

Detroit, Michigan, US

I have been very blessed, as a inexperienced  model to have booked four prospective photo shoots for when I return back to Detroit from my vacation in late October. These shoots are nude and implied. I would like as much advice on these type of shoots as possible so I can know what to expect and be prepared. Thank you!

Sep 27 16 01:39 am Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

I shoot art nudes mostly. I also shoot a large number of African and African American models, and about 90 % had never posed nude prior to working with me.

I think everyone is a little nervous at first but that energy is good for your first shoot. If the photographers treat the shoot and you in a professional manner then you will see that it is strictly business. You will probably stop being nervous within the first 5 or 10 minutes.

Just be certain that the photographers don't try to push you beyond your comfort level. If they try to move you into a position that you feel uncomfortable with be sure to change that position and let them know what you will and will not do.  Be wary of photographers who try to shoot while you are changing or trying to take a break. That's creepy. 

Also, photographers comments to you should be professional and not sexual or personal. If that is what is going on tell them you are not ok with that type of talk. 

Also, never let a photographer touch you to move your position unless they first ask permission.  And only say yes if you are comfortable with them doing it.  If they touch you with out your permission then stop the shoot and get out of there.

Are you certain of the genres of nude modeling you want to shoot? Fine art, glamour, erotic? Knowing what your boundaries are and communicating them to the photographer is key to a successful shoot.

I would also say to bring a small robe, so you can throw it on during a break or if a photographer wants to show you images on his camera.

Also, I am in favor of the photographer offering you a room or a space to disrobe in privacy. He does not need to see you nude until you are on set.

I would also suggest that you bring olive oil or coconut oil to use as a lotion for your body. All my models of color apply those oils. They let them sit for about 5 minutes and then wipe off with paper towels. This will smooth out the different tones in your skin and get rid of any ashy situations. Please be sure to get all the cracks and crevices if you know what I mean.

Also about 3 hours prior to the shoot make sure that you don't wear a bra, panties, or socks ( anything that will leave marks on your body)

Hope this helps.

I wish you well. Also take a look through my port and my work with my muse Viola ( she is my current avatar, and we have worked together for 5 years) she can give you a lot of ideas. Or my work with Sara a young model from the Sudan, which is in my fine arts album.

And lastly if you ever want to come and work with me in Minneapolis I would love to work with you.

Sep 27 16 04:27 am Link

Model

Achampongnanaadjoa

Detroit, Michigan, US

Thank you for the in depth response as it helped tremendously! I will be sure to keep these suggestions in mind for my shoots.

Sep 27 16 06:41 am Link

Photographer

AgX

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

The terms "nude" and "implied nude" can mean very different things to different people. If you haven't already, I suggest that you engage in a dialogue with the prospective photographers that includes specific images, not simply descriptions of likes, limits, and expectations on both sides of the lens. Having those discussions well in advance of the shoot date can aid in smoother sessions with both of you on the same page.

Sep 27 16 06:57 am Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

You have been given excellent advice.  Asking for examples of what is expected from you in advance can help you feel confident and prepared and give you plenty of time to review them.  You also need to have a clear idea in your mind of what your personal limits are, what you are OK with and what you don't want to do.  If anything they ask you to do isn't within your personal comfort zone, don't do it.  You definitely need to have this discussion about poses and genres before making an agreement to do anything.

I highly recommend practicing poses naked in front of a mirror for several hours (but not all at once) in preparation for a photo shoot. This helps build your confidence, and you can see how the body structure and muscles look as you pose in different positions.  Some models practice with another model, or a friend who can give feedback or snap quick shots to show you what the poses look like to the camera.

Also, remaining naked for several hours at a time when you are home will help you become comfortable in nothing but your skin. It needs to be second nature, to the point where being naked isn't an issue and you don't think about it, that way you can be the most relaxed during your photo sessions. Usually during a photo session, you quickly forget that you are naked and concentrate on the poses and the direction you are given by the photographer.

A good point was made about skin marks and not to wear restrictive clothing for several hours before shooting. My choice is to stay naked in the house for a couple of hours before leaving, and to wear only loose pajamas and slippers on the way to the photo session. Some models prefer to wear a very loose robe or dress. You don't want to wear anything that has elastic like a bra or underpants or socks, or anything that's snug around the waist like a belt.

Also, I don't know what your preferences are for body grooming but don't ever shave or wax anything on the day of the shoot as there is too much chance of causing irritation that will be visible in the photos. My preference is to remain 100% natural, but this is something each model has to decide for herself.  Some photographers may have a strong preference for being natural or being completely hairfree down there, while others leave that up to the model. These are things you should discuss with those you will be working with. It's no different than having your hair done, or being requested to wear a certain style of makeup.

Some photographers will have a private dressing area off to one side of the studio, or in another room. Others don't have that luxury and the model will need to undress right in the studio. Usually when that is the case, the photographer won't be in the room while you do, but many experienced models don't have any issues with getting undressed in the studio even if the photographer is busy setting up lights and props. Again, this is personal preference and comfort level. Bring along a robe which is easy to get into and out of, or a pair of pajamas that are loose, to wear during breaks or if you want to cover up in between poses for several minutes it might take the photographer to rearrange the lights and set.

Personally, I feel that modelling naked is the most empowering thing I have ever done for myself as a woman, and I treasure every moment of the vulnerability of presenting myself naked in front of strangers as part of the creative process. Being able to see completed photos or artwork and reading the comments of others after they are added to my portfolio is always a wonderful boost to my self esteem.  I hope it is as good for you!

Feel free to message me using the MM private message feature if you have any questions or concerns that you would like to discuss.

Sep 27 16 07:22 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Achampongnanaadjoa wrote:
I have been very blessed, as a inexperienced  model to have booked four prospective photo shoots for when I return back to Detroit from my vacation in late October. These shoots are nude and implied. I would like as much advice on these type of shoots as possible so I can know what to expect and be prepared. Thank you!

If you have not done so already, start using an alias.

Work on keeping your model life & private life separate.

Operate under the impression that people in your private life may disapprove of what you do. Maybe there'll be consequences, maybe not. But prepare for the worst.

Sep 27 16 07:41 am Link

Model

Achampongnanaadjoa

Detroit, Michigan, US

Farenell Photography wrote:

If you have not done so already, start using an alias.

Work on keeping your model life & private life separate.

Operate under the impression that people in your private life may disapprove of what you do. Maybe there'll be consequences, maybe not. But prepare for the worst.

Okay, will do!!

Sep 27 16 08:17 am Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

Communication between you and the photographers is critical - as others have said - "nude" and "implied" can be very different in interpretations.  Ask about some poses they want to try - get time to practice them nude in front of a mirror.  I don't think that any photographer would be worried about a model that wants to do the best job.  Also, time spent practicing facial expressions in front of a mirror is not wasted.

You have gotten some very good advice about everyone being professional and practical. Everybody is nervous doing first nudes in my experience.  But, in most cases - after seeing that this is about the images only - it quickly becomes "Move your head back and raise your left hand a bit" - and the fact that you are nude, is irrelevant.

Nudity is no big deal - as long as nobody goes out of their way to MAKE it a "Big Deal"  If you are comfortable and confident in being nude - it will make the photographers job easier. 

And one final bit of practical advice - try to lengthen your body shape - Betty Page used to walk barefoot, (as if she was wearing heels)  - it made her silhouette longer. Point one foot when possible in a pose. Etc.  Avoid flat footed poses.   And when possible - try to "lengthen" your torso by straightening up with shoulders a bit back - good posture is very photogenic.  Slouching - not so much.

Good luck to you and I look forward to seeing the results.

Sep 27 16 08:53 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Theres nothing worse than bad nudes

Chose your photographer carefully with respect to both his or her background ( reputation ) and the quality of work

Sep 27 16 08:53 am Link

Photographer

Eagle Rock Photographer

Los Angeles, California, US

TF? Or paid? If paid, you could politely ask if you could get any shots for your own portfolio use.

Sep 27 16 09:53 am Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

Eagle Rock Photographer wrote:

TF? Or paid? If paid, you could politely ask if you could get any shots for your own portfolio use.

Very good point.  Most photographers don't give you any photos if they are paying you, but sometimes a new model just starting out can negotiate to get a few.  You may want to do trade with a really good photographer to get some quality shots to add to your portfolio as soon as possible since you need to show examples of what you have done in order to get even more offers of work in the future.

Sep 27 16 10:04 am Link

Photographer

WisconsinArt

Nashotah, Wisconsin, US

I can add one small tidbit, some models bring a robe to wear during down time. Some just remain unclothed. Your choice.

Sep 27 16 08:41 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

If you can do it before you do a sitting with a photographer, do a sitting with an artist.  The situation is very different and you would learn from it.  Mature Model can give you more insights.

Don't depend on this thread alone.  Read through the forums.   There are many threads on this subject and similar topics.  Each thread draws different advice depending on the scenario.  Models need to prepare for other scenarios if the shoot is TF as opposed to a shoot where you are being paid or paying a photographer.  There is also a very long thread that was started years ago for just this kind of thing.  It comes up occasionally.  If I can find it, I will link it.  Or, perhaps, some other soul knows what I am speaking of, and will link it.

Good luck.

Sep 27 16 08:51 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

WisconsinArt wrote:
I can add one small tidbit, some models bring a robe to wear during down time. Some just remain unclothed. Your choice.

And some photographers even provide a robe for a model to wear

Imagine that

Sep 27 16 08:57 pm Link

Photographer

Pictures of Life

Spokane, Washington, US

To summarize a thread from a few years ago, it's normal to be a bit uncertain and/or uncomfortable, especially Before getting nude; and yes this might also apply to the photographer, being nervous.  The understandable logic is to ease into it, go for the striptease, take off one item at a time while shooting.  That is a bad technique for a newbie.  The reality is that after a few minutes of being nude everything normalizes, the photographer is fussing over camera settings and lights, the model is worried about posing and everyone essentially forgets that someone in the room is nude.  The best strategy is to minimize the period of being uncertain/nervous and just get nude as soon as the photographer is ready to shoot.  This was one of the only topics that had a consensus of all respondents, MUAs, wardrobe, models, photographers all agreed that delays in getting nude made people more uncomfortable for a longer time.
PS Don't forget that you're nude. One model had a great story about running out to her car to get something and the photographer was fairly concerned about the neighbors seeing her.
Good luck

Sep 27 16 10:17 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Hi,
You could do a google search for nude/implied nude images or the best thing you could do is to scour the potential photographers portfolio or even better would be ask that photographer to send pictures that are similar to what he or she is expecting so you can have a clearer understanding.

That is what I've found works the best. Something like, "can you share an image of what you are looking to create with me?" is better than anything else.

Jen

Sep 27 16 10:30 pm Link

Photographer

Natural Means

Yamba, New South Wales, Australia

Jen B wrote:

Hi,
You could do a google search for nude/implied nude images or the best thing you could do is to scour the potential photographers portfolio or even better would be ask that photographer to send pictures that are similar to what he or she is expecting so you can have a clearer understanding.

That is what I've found works the best. Something like, "can you share an image of what you are looking to create with me?" is better than anything else.

Jen

Yep, nothing beat exchanging inspiration shots so on the the same page.

Sep 27 16 11:27 pm Link

Photographer

John Silva Photography

Fairfield, California, US

I'm going to take this touchy feely thing a step further. I explain to all my Models, clothed or not, that I WILL NOT ask to offer help in any way, BUT I am very happy and willing to help if THEY ask me!
The premise is that if I ask to help, I might be putting my model in the uncomfortable position of having to chose how to answer that, so I don't. When a Model needs help, they simply ask(they always do), but then it's THEIR decision to do so, not influenced by me. Just another way the touchy feely thing can be handled openly from the very start.
If you're gonna do TF nude be sure the photographer is VERY good. Not just good but VERY good!! You can take crappy un-posed images with your phone!!! LoL
I'm sure you'll do great!! Good luck!!! :-)

Sep 28 16 12:09 am Link

Model

Achampongnanaadjoa

Detroit, Michigan, US

Eagle Rock Photographer wrote:

Some paid, some TFP they have all agreed to give me finished prints!

Sep 28 16 02:12 am Link

Photographer

WisconsinArt

Nashotah, Wisconsin, US

Garry k wrote:

And some photographers even provide a robe for a model to wear

Imagine that

My shadow is back. Grow up, kid.

So what's a model to do if a robe is not provided?  You can't think that far?

Sep 28 16 03:48 am Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Some paid, some TFP they have all agreed to give me finished prints!

People may offer to both pay and give you prints, but it's extremely unlikely any who've promised such generous compensation will follow through. A number of people say this prior to a shoot but take it with a grain of salt. They'll give you your cash, then not want to immediately have to sort through and work on images, so most likely - no matter what you are told at first - you will be paid and that's that.

If you don't remind them that they also promised images, and just pretend that like part of the deal never happened, you might get repeated paid work. If you bring up, after the fact, that images were also promised but never provided, they will be unlikely to ever hire you for anything else again.

In ten years of working as a nude model, that is generally what I found to be true. Many will offer you a combination of both pay and images, but you just get paid and never see the other part. You can't really expect both out of people - no matter what they say.

When they tell you that you will receive X amount of dollars, plus a couple pictures... it's an absolute rarity when it actually happens that way.

Sep 28 16 04:19 am Link

Model

Achampongnanaadjoa

Detroit, Michigan, US

Koryn wrote:

People may offer to both pay and give you prints, but it's extremely unlikely any who've promised such generous compensation will follow through. A number of people say this prior to a shoot but take it with a grain of salt. They'll give you your cash, then not want to immediately have to sort through and work on images, so most likely - no matter what you are told at first - you will be paid and that's that.

If you don't remind them that they also promised images, and just pretend that like part of the deal never happened, you might get repeated paid work. If you bring up, after the fact, that images were also promised but never provided, they will be unlikely to ever hire you for anything else again.

In ten years of working as a nude model, that is generally what I found to be true. Many will offer you a combination of both pay and images, but you just get paid and never see the other part. You can't really expect both out of people - no matter what they say.

When they tell you that you will receive X amount of dollars, plus a couple pictures... it's an absolute rarity when it actually happens that way.

I see, how does gaining pictures work?

Sep 28 16 07:02 am Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

The most certain way for a model to get photos of poses that she chooses to do is to hire a photographer and pay him or her for the session and the photos. You can also get photos by doing trade shoots, although as pointed out not all will follow through or not in a timely manner, and the quality is all over the place. You want to get the best possible shots in your portfolio because that helps get more work. As already pointed out, you can't depend on getting photos if you are being paid to model. I have been in that situation many times, and once in a while a photographer will be kind enough to provide a few photos in addition to the pay, but that is an exception.  You are more likely to get a piece of artwork from an artist who pays you to model for them as an added bonus.

The earlier suggestion that you should do some modelling for artists is an excellent one. I recommend that all beginning models should do at least several sessions with artists or for art classes at the college level, and you should be naked for all of that work. It changes your awareness of how your body looks in different poses, and you learn how to interact with creative people.  You could not gain that much knowledge about posing so quickly in any other way.  This also applies to models who have no intention of ever posing naked for photographers. The artists are very respectful and you will not feel uncomfortable in a classroom of art students.

Sep 28 16 07:57 am Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I see, how does gaining pictures work?

You either hire a photographer whose work you like, or you set up"trade" shoots where you offer to model in exchange for photos only.

Even then, you cannot guarantee they will send you finished images afterwards or that the images they send you will be flattering/useful. BUT, you are far more likely to actually get portfolio images by offering trade.

It took me around a year and a half of doing 2-3 TF*/trade shoots per week before I had about 20 or 25 genuinely good images that, compiled, created an actually marketable look and portfolio. Unfortunately, you have to shoot quite a bit of trade to get a decent quantity of actually good images.

Sep 28 16 08:47 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

WisconsinArt wrote:

My shadow is back. Grow up, kid.

So what's a model to do if a robe is not provided?  You can't think that far?

well , she could refuse to continue with the shoot if the photographer does not appear concerned about her privacy and dignity

Can You think that far ?

If not a robe then at least a towel

Sep 28 16 10:31 am Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Garry k wrote:

well , she could refuse to continue with the shoot if the photographer does not appear concerned about her privacy and dignity

Can You think that far ?

Christ, come on. We don't expect people to have clothes for us to wear on a nude shoot, if we want to cover up between shots we bring our own shit.

Sep 28 16 10:44 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

"Implied" is so nebulous.  Will the model be nude under some covering or wearing a bikini?  Will the photographer see the model nude or leave the room as the model adjusts poses? 

I only hire models for nude work.  Some models have strange definitions of "nude" so if her portfolio does not include any nude images, I ask her if she is comfortable with full frontal.  Although not all of the images will necessarily be fully nude.

Sep 28 16 10:57 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Laura UnBound wrote:

Christ, come on. We don't expect people to have clothes for us to wear on a nude shoot, if we want to cover up between shots we bring our own shit.

I question what The Christ has to do with any of this

Sep 28 16 11:01 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

seriously

Sep 28 16 11:01 am Link

Model

Achampongnanaadjoa

Detroit, Michigan, US

Koryn wrote:

You either hire a photographer whose work you like, or you set up"trade" shoots where you offer to model in exchange for photos only.

Even then, you cannot guarantee they will send you finished images afterwards or that the images they send you will be flattering/useful. BUT, you are far more likely to actually get portfolio images by offering trade.

It took me around a year and a half of doing 2-3 TF*/trade shoots per week before I had about 20 or 25 genuinely good images that, compiled, created an actually marketable look and portfolio. Unfortunately, you have to shoot quite a bit of trade to get a decent quantity of actually good images.

What do you mean by " marketable" look and portfolio? Are pictures sent in a digital form? How long after the shoot should it generally take to recieve pictures? Thank you!

Sep 28 16 12:13 pm Link

Photographer

P R E S T O N

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

John Silva Photography wrote:
I'm going to take this touchy feely thing a step further. I explain to all my Models, clothed or not, that I WILL NOT ask to offer help in any way, BUT I am very happy and willing to help if THEY ask me!
The premise is that if I ask to help, I might be putting my model in the uncomfortable position of having to chose how to answer that, so I don't. When a Model needs help, they simply ask(they always do), but then it's THEIR decision to do so, not influenced by me. Just another way the touchy feely thing can be handled openly from the very start.

If I was a model the very fact you brought it up would give me the creeps. 'I explain to all my Models, clothed or not, that I WILL NOT ask to offer help in any way, BUT I am very happy and willing to help if THEY ask me!' - that just makes me shudder, am I being too sensitive?

I'm sure models are quite capable of asking for help if they need it and without photographers having to tell them how happy they would be if given the opportunity to get 'touchy feely' (your words, not mine). Yep, it definitely creeps me out.

Sep 28 16 01:56 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

What do you mean by " marketable" look and portfolio? Are pictures sent in a digital form? How long after the shoot should it generally take to recieve pictures? Thank you!

I always provide low and high res digital images without watermarks. You should ask for the same for trade shoots. If a photographer is paying you you should expect no images of any kind though some of the hobby or newer photographers may give you a few.

Also, if I have a good shoot with a model I will print my favorite image and frame it and sign for the model to keep.   Also after 10 shoots I provide a printed 100 page book on archival paper for the model to have.  This way I establish an ongoing working relationship with the model and she gets a great book of her work to keep forever.

Sep 28 16 02:20 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Risen Phoenix Photo wrote:

I always provide low and high res digital images without watermarks. You should ask for the same for trade shoots. If a photographer is paying you you should expect no images of any kind though some of the hobby or newer photographers may give you a few.

Also, if I have a good shoot with a model I will print my favorite image and frame it and sign for the model to keep.   Also after 10 shoots I provide a printed 100 page book on archival paper for the model to have.  This way I establish an ongoing working relationship with the model and she gets a great book of her work to keep forever.

Impressive !

Sep 28 16 04:35 pm Link

Photographer

Natural Means

Yamba, New South Wales, Australia

There's no hard and fast rule on how long it takes to deliver. You have ask quite simply "how many photos and how long do you expect it to take?" For each photographer.

I think 3-4 days is fast, 4-5 weeks getting up there as too slow, rule of thumb.

Good luck.

Sep 28 16 05:01 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Laura UnBound wrote:

Agreed ! I always ask a model to bring a robe or long t-shirt. If she uses it or not is up to her.

Sep 28 16 05:59 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Garry k wrote:

Can You think that far ?

Gary, I absolutely agree with you a photographer must not only appear to be concerned ... THEY MUST BE CONCERNED ABOUT A MODELS DIGNITY. These models give us more than just their nude bodies, they give us a glimpse into their souls. As such we as photographers must always be a steward of such an amazing trust and gift.

I think as shooters it is easy to be jaded and forget that.

Sep 28 16 06:06 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Laura UnBound wrote:

Agreed ! I always ask a model to bring a robe or long t-shirt. If she uses it or not is up to her.

Logical disconnect!

Sep 28 16 06:10 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Gary, I absolutely agree with you a photographer must not only appear to be concerned ... THEY MUST BE CONCERNED ABOUT A MODELS DIGNITY. These models give us more than just their nude bodies, they give us a glimpse into their souls. As such we as photographers must always be a steward of such an amazing trust and gift.

I think as shooters it is easy to be jaded and forget that.

Thank You

Sep 28 16 06:42 pm Link

Photographer

AndysPrints

Falls Church, Virginia, US

Unless you have no other means to support yourself or your family, I would advise you not to shoot nude. Internet modeling has changed so much since I first started shooting 17 years ago and in my opinion, not for the better. I would advise you to think long and hard before making your decision.

Worse that having nude photos on the internet is having really bad nude photos on the internet. If you show up at the shoot and the photographer is shooting in his basement or garage and you see a wrinkled bed sheet taped to the wall with duct tape...just walk away. No good images will come from the shoot.

There are some wonderful photographers who shoot nudes but they are few and far between.

Sep 28 16 07:00 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

FilmmakerDC wrote:

Unless you have no other means to support yourself or your family, I would advise you not to shoot nude. Internet modeling has changed so much since I first started shooting 17 years ago and in my opinion, not for the better. I would advise you to think long and hard before making your decision.

Worse that having nude photos on the internet is having really bad nude photos on the internet. If you show up at the shoot and the photographer is shooting in his basement or garage and you see a wrinkled bed sheet taped to the wall with duct tape...just walk away. No good images will come from the shoot.

There are some wonderful photographers who shoot nudes but they are few and far between.

I concur

Sep 28 16 07:19 pm Link