Forums > Critique > Edited portfolio

Photographer

WVBigfooter

Kingwood, West Virginia, US

I digitally improved the focus on a few from the first pics and changed out a couple. Please take a look
Thanks

Sep 27 16 01:49 pm Link

Photographer

A-M-P

Orlando, Florida, US

Out of focus snapshots with green skin.

I suggest taking a basic course on basic camera operations such as focus, white balance, shutter speed etc and how they affect your photo. No amount of retouching/editing will save these.

Sep 27 16 01:53 pm Link

Photographer

P R E S T O N

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

"I've been doing photography for money since 1993 and I'm a 1997 graduate of The New York Institute of Photography"

I think you should ask 'The New York Institute of Photography' for your money back. Get some one-to-one lessons with a photographer who has a credible track record of delivering valuable tuition instead. Concentrate on the basics and start getting some competent imagery in your port. Then come back for a review.

Also, learn to be selective when choosing the models you photograph.

Sep 27 16 02:30 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Sorry but your work is not very interesting or appealing

in my opinion

Sep 27 16 05:45 pm Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

Los Angeles, California, US

Some brutally honest feedback so far, and I have to agree.

Work on capturing flattering body angles, and be aware of little details like hair bands on wrists.

Your models look uncomfortable and their expressions look forced. Make sure the images you include in your portfolio are in focus, well lit, well exposed, have some emotion, and properly white balanced.

Sep 27 16 10:23 pm Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

WVBigfooter wrote:
I digitally improved the focus on a few from the first pics and changed out a couple. Please take a look
Thanks

There's only so much sharpening one can do on an image that is out of focus, and at a certain point it will just make things look worse. I would remove your entire portfolio and start over, and at the very least, correct white balance and get your shots sharp in camera.

Sep 27 16 10:26 pm Link

Photographer

Mary Durante Youtt

Barnegat, New Jersey, US

You can take all the classes in the world but practice and applying what you learned is key.   Some aspects come to people naturally, such as composition.  Your images are lacking on so many levels.

Your bio does not reflect the images you posted. 
Being paid, does not really make you a professional photographer.  I paid a contracted to remodel a bathroom, city inspection failed at each step and had to be redone.  Yes, he was paid (not fully) and fired.   

First read the instruction manual to your camera, then read the books you bought in school.  And start over again.

Sep 28 16 08:46 am Link

Photographer

Iktan

New York, New York, US

Adorama has some good free photography tutorials on YouTube.

Sep 28 16 09:48 am Link

Photographer

Lee_Photography

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/160927/11/57eab9710cdbe_m.jpg
The way the hair and tattoo interact on models left shoulder, just looks messy.
The models clothing has no shape or form, just kind of hangs there. Where are her hands?
Agree with the others, bit of a green tint to her face.
Did you shoot these in RAW? If so you may be able to adjust the white balance using the white part of the flag as a white point.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/160927/03/57ea43475012b_m.jpg
An out of focus photo is just that, out of focus.
Remove

Since you should have the basics from NYIP, you should be able to apply the lessons learned and produce some quality images. Start with a simple headshot.
a)    Set the white balance in your camera
b)    Use interesting light, so you show 3D modeling in models face [Fill flash, reflectors, evening or morning light]
c)    Make sure the eyes are in sharp focus
d)    Lower shoulders for a long appearing neck
e)    Use a tripod
f)    Make sure the background is way out of focus

I wish you well

Sep 28 16 10:06 am Link

Photographer

WVBigfooter

I uploaded the wrong image. I'll replace it with the corrected one

Sep 28 16 10:23 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

I am interested to hear from the OP what he sees in these images

Sep 28 16 10:41 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

I am interested to hear from the OP what he sees in these images

Photographer

Garry k

I mean why he feels they work

Photographer

WVBigfooter

Lee_Photography wrote:
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/160927/11/57eab9710cdbe_m.jpg
The way the hair and tattoo interact on models left shoulder, just looks messy.
The models clothing has no shape or form, just kind of hangs there. Where are her hands?
Agree with the others, bit of a green tint to her face.
Did you shoot these in RAW? If so you may be able to adjust the white balance using the white part of the flag as a white point.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/160927/03/57ea43475012b_m.jpg
An out of focus photo is just that, out of focus.
Remove

Since you should have the basics from NYIP, you should be able to apply the lessons learned and produce some quality images. Start with a simple headshot.
a)    Set the white balance in your camera
b)    Use interesting light, so you show 3D modeling in models face [Fill flash, reflectors, evening or morning light]
c)    Make sure the eyes are in sharp focus
d)    Lower shoulders for a long appearing neck
e)    Use a tripod
f)    Make sure the background is way out of focus

I wish you well

I was using the "Cloudy" setting for white balance. I'll try "AWB" next time

Sep 28 16 11:11 am Link

Photographer

WVBigfooter

Garry k wrote:
I mean why he feels they work

Because the people I take the photos of, love them. I've tried some of the poses a lot of photographers here have suggested & they weren't very well received by the client. They said they didn't look natural

Sep 28 16 11:15 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

WVBigfooter wrote:

Because the people I take the photos of, love them. I've tried some of the poses a lot of photographers here have suggested & they weren't very well received by the client. They said they didn't look natural

Fair enough !

It is good to make your clients happy

Sep 28 16 11:22 am Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

WVBigfooter wrote:

But the color is way off.
Question... Do you know how to color balance in post production at least?
Solution :  convert to Black and White till you learn color

Focus is not good at all

Question... Do you use manual focus or Auto focus.

Do you use the back focus button to lock focus?

Solution: Read the camera manual on focus or take it into a camera store and ask one of the professionals.

Little to no composition or framing
Question.... Ever heard of the rule of thirds?

Solution:   You should have learned this in photo school but if not you should work with a professional, yes a real one, and pay for a private lesson

Basic post production, looks horrible

Question: what do you use? It looks like nothing

Solution:  if you don't have any at least buy Lightroom 6

It's hard to believe you graduated from an accredited photography school, as all of these should have been covered there.

Sep 28 16 11:39 am Link

Photographer

WVBigfooter

Risen Phoenix Photo wrote:
But the color is way off.
Question... Do you know how to color balance in post production at least?
Solution :  convert to Black and White till you learn color

Focus is not good at all

Question... Do you use manual focus or Auto focus.

Do you use the back focus button to lock focus?

Solution: Read the camera manual on focus or take it into a camera store and ask one of the professionals.

Little to no composition or framing
Question.... Ever heard of the rule of thirds?

Solution:   You should have learned this in photo school but if not you should work with a professional, yes a real one, and pay for a private lesson

Basic post production, looks horrible

Question: what do you use? It looks like nothing

Solution:  if you don't have any at least buy Lightroom 6

It's hard to believe you graduated from an accredited photography school, as all of these should have been covered there.

I used manual focus this time and disagree that they aren't sharply focused. I use an editing website called LunaPic. I can't afford image editing software when a free website will do the trick
The rule of thirds doesn't literally mean to put your subject in one third of the frame
NYIP taught me the 3 rules of photography
1) There are no rules
2) Simplify
3) The rule of thirds

Sep 28 16 11:58 am Link

Photographer

Howard Tarragon

New York, New York, US

Post hidden on Sep 29, 2016 04:30 am
Reason: not helpful

Sep 28 16 12:34 pm Link

Photographer

A-M-P

Orlando, Florida, US

WVBigfooter wrote:
I used manual focus this time and disagree that they aren't sharply focused. I use an editing website called LunaPic. I can't afford image editing software when a free website will do the trick
The rule of thirds doesn't literally mean to put your subject in one third of the frame
NYIP taught me the 3 rules of photography
1) There are no rules
2) Simplify
3) The rule of thirds

You can disagree all you want about the photos not being out of focus but unless you are a blind person we can all clearly see they are extremely out focus and I see tons of motion blur as well. What was you shutter speed set to?

I mean come on you cannot really tell me you think this photo is good. We cannot even tell what her face looks like. I have seen people take better photos with their cellphone.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/160927/06/57ea6d6c4bc31.jpg

Sep 28 16 01:04 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Post hidden on Sep 29, 2016 04:31 am
Comments:
quotes an unhelpful post

Sep 28 16 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

A-M-P

Orlando, Florida, US

Garry k wrote:
Huh?

He may be an amature but what makes him a troll ?

I don't believe someone shooting since 1993 would produce a photo such as the one posted above, specially someone who graduated from a photography school. It just does not add up. Yeah you may shoot uninspiring photos but basic things like seeing that a photo is in or out of focus can be seen by any average joe from the street who has never even picked up a camera and the OP disagrees that his photos are out focus.

Sep 28 16 01:15 pm Link

Photographer

P R E S T O N

WVBigfooter wrote:
I use an editing website called LunaPic. I can't afford image editing software when a free website will do the trick

You've referred to your subjects as clients and you've said they're paying you for the images. A monthly subscription to Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop is around $10. Surely you can afford to pay that out of your income? How much are you charging your clients for these shoots??

http://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/phot … p;mv=other

Sep 28 16 01:17 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

A-M-P wrote:

I don't believe someone shooting since 1993 would produce a photo such as the one posted above, specially someone who graduated from a photography school. It just does not add up. Yeah you may shoot uninspiring photos but basic things like seeing that a photo is in or out of focus can be seen by any average joe from the street who has never even picked up a camera and the OP disagrees that his photos are out focus.

gotcha

smile

Sep 28 16 01:37 pm Link

Photographer

Lee_Photography

WVBigfooter wrote:

Actually what I am suggesting is to set the white balance manually, that is take a photo of a white card in the light you will be shooting in, then use that image in the camera to set white balance in the camera.

I wish you well

Sep 28 16 01:43 pm Link

Photographer

Howard Tarragon

New York, New York, US

Sep 28 16 01:53 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Comments:
quotes an unhelpful post

Sep 28 16 02:08 pm Link

Photographer

Howard Tarragon

New York, New York, US

How do we Contact a Moderator? I can't find a link.

Sep 28 16 02:56 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Howard Tarragon wrote:
How do we Contact a Moderator? I can't find a link.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/contactamod

Sep 28 16 02:58 pm Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

WVBigfooter wrote:

WVB, please don't think I'm picking on you. This forum is what it is, and you've invited critique. I do think what you've received so far has been constructive for the most part.

Yes posing is unnatural, the trick is to get those body lines, without your posing and expressions looking forced.

Loosely posed and natural is something to strive for, and it's especially important if you're shooting non-models who don't have much experience in front of the camera. You're the director here.

Your images are not sharp by acceptable standards.  Sharpness is not the end-all-be-all in every photo, but based on the type of images you're producing, I'm going to say you need to strive a little higher. In some cases, mood, vibe and concept trump sharpness, but I'm not feeling those either.

I strongly suggest shooting AWB or using a custom white balance, shooting a gray card or color checker passport, always with the intention to adjust in post if necessary.

At the very least, use Adobe Lightroom or Capture One to cull and retouch your images.

Some of the people here have given solid advice. Use this as an opportunity to look within. It's often hard to recognize our areas of improvement because we are prone to attaching an emotional response to our work, such as, the client was really sweet, loved the experience and had a great time. I used to do the same, but learned to separate. Also, my wife tells it like it is, if I'm ever in doubt.

Sep 28 16 03:01 pm Link

Photographer

WVBigfooter

Post hidden on Sep 29, 2016 04:32 am
Comments:
quotes an unhelpful post

Sep 28 16 03:37 pm Link

Photographer

Iktan

New York, New York, US

Dude just start over, schools don't mean chit. Just accept reality. I'm willing to bet most of us here never went to art school. Getting trashed and using that negative to make good out of it is the best action. Everything I know I learned by watching bts vids on YouTube.

Sep 28 16 06:34 pm Link

Photographer

WVBigfooter

A-M-P wrote:

You can disagree all you want about the photos not being out of focus but unless you are a blind person we can all clearly see they are extremely out focus and I see tons of motion blur as well. What was you shutter speed set to?

I mean come on you cannot really tell me you think this photo is good. We cannot even tell what her face looks like. I have seen people take better photos with their cellphone.

I do see a bit of blur of her hands. I'll delete it

Sep 29 16 08:32 am Link

Photographer

P R E S T O N

WVBigfooter wrote:

What do you think about the model's tummy in that image? Do you think a different shot angle, a different pose, different styling and different light might have changed your portrayal of the model for the better?

Sep 29 16 08:57 am Link

Photographer

WVBigfooter

A-M-P wrote:

I shot in Aperture Priority Mode

Sep 29 16 10:21 am Link

Photographer

P R E S T O N

WVBigfooter wrote:

I'm afraid you can't just stick a camera in semi-automatic and expect it to make up for your own lack of understanding of basic camera skills. If you do that you'll just end up with poor images...

It might be a struggle to start with but the only way you're going to understand how to drive a camera properly is by shooting in manual mode - take full control of ALL the variables yourself. Once you've mastered manual THEN use semi-automatic modes if you wish. But by then you'll understand the compensation you need to make for what the camera will get wrong in any given situation.

If manual mode proves too much of a struggle then go full auto instead, not semi-auto. The camera will produce technically good images all on its own if you let it and you can then concentrate on framing your shot and interacting with your model.

Or... invest in some worthwhile one-to-one tuition...

Sep 29 16 11:28 am Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

A-M-P wrote:

WVBigfooter wrote:

I was just about to say that its not just out of focus, there is a significant amount motion blur. Aperture will do that, going to a shutter speed that non steady could become a problem. You mention earlier you used cloudy for WB, I strongly suggest to you go full manual control on everything exposure wise. Almost all pros shoot in manual with the exception of event photographer. There is a reason for it, total control.

Sep 29 16 11:42 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

WVBigfooter wrote:

Lee_Photography wrote:
Actually what I am suggesting is to set the white balance manually, that is take a photo of a white card in the light you will be shooting in, then use that image in the camera to set white balance in the camera.

I wish you well

Light in the woods tends to be green, not cloudy.

Sep 29 16 12:15 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

WVBigfooter wrote:
I used manual focus this time and disagree that they aren't sharply focused.

It's hard to beat auto focus.

A-M-P wrote:

WVBigfooter wrote:

And her legs, and her arm, and her face.

WVBigfooter wrote:

That's fine but what was your shutter speed?

Sep 29 16 12:20 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

WVBigfooter wrote:
I use an editing website called LunaPic. I can't afford image editing software when a free website will do the trick

We get what we pay for.

Sep 29 16 12:22 pm Link