Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > beginner here - color profile?

Photographer

alexmendezz

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Hey, so not sure if its always been this way with my images but ive noticed it more now. So when i export/save web dev with PS. Images uploaded to dropbox/fb or anywhere have different color scheme to what ive done in PS.

So I've looked it up regarding color profiles which im assuming is the issue, i've tried a whole bunch of different options such as ProPhoto RGB/Adobe RGB/sRGB, I assigned it and converted the image (which I think is what i need to do). I then go to 'save as' with embed color profile, do i also try convert to sRGB? Im really lost here and have zero knowledge when it comes to these color profiles.

Thanks in advanced

Oct 09 16 02:27 am Link

Retoucher

Sofia, Sofija grad, Bulgaria

Oct 09 16 04:35 am Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Los Angeles, California, US

alexmendezz wrote:
Hey, so not sure if its always been this way with my images but ive noticed it more now. So when i export/save web dev with PS. Images uploaded to dropbox/fb or anywhere have different color scheme to what ive done in PS.

So I've looked it up regarding color profiles which im assuming is the issue, i've tried a whole bunch of different options such as ProPhoto RGB/Adobe RGB/sRGB, I assigned it and converted the image (which I think is what i need to do). I then go to 'save as' with embed color profile, do i also try convert to sRGB? Im really lost here and have zero knowledge when it comes to these color profiles.

Thanks in advanced

http://www.deke.com/content/best-workfl … op-and-cs5
http://www.photoshopessentials.com/esse … ographers/

Oct 09 16 04:39 am Link

Photographer

P R E S T O N

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

alexmendezz wrote:
..do i also try convert to sRGB?

You need to convert to sRGB before 'save as'.

In photoshop, 'Edit' | 'Convert to Profile' then select sRGB as the destination space.

Be sure to retain your original image, don't over-write it with the sRGB version.

Oct 09 16 05:28 am Link

Photographer

TMA Photo and Training

Lancaster, Pennsylvania, US

I agree with Kimily above.

Web browsers and most all color print machines are designed for...setup for...and work best with the sRGB color profile.

If you happen to upload a Pro Photo, Adobe RGB, or other color profile to the web or a print machine...then your images may come out Darker than you expected... more Muted and Gray than you hoped for... and Less Saturated than you remember seeing on your desktop monitor.

Some people who especially like to keep things Simple and Streamlined...set their Camera Menus to produce sRGB images from the very first stage...because they seem to often forget to reset their Adobe RGB profile to sRGB in Photoshop or Lightroom. 

These other profiles DO have broader and wider color gamuts...which might be a help in some discerning photography... BUT... the last stage should be to set your jpeg images destined for web to the sRGB profile as the last thing before you upload them.  Some export dialogue screens in Adobe have the ability to change the output color profile to sRGB with a check box.

Oct 13 16 11:34 am Link

Retoucher

Sofia, Sofija grad, Bulgaria

TMA Photo and Training wrote:
Web browsers and most all color print machines are designed for...setup for...and work best with the sRGB color profile.

Not really.

Modern web browsers (namely Chrome and Firefox) definitely support different color profiles (including Adobe RGB). Also modern OLED screens cover almost the full Adobe RGB gamut. So sRGB may be a safe bet for certain situations but surely not an universal recipe. The issue with the wrong colors produced by certain websites is due to the fact they strip off ICC profile data from images and that is due to the website itself, not to the browser. So if you upload to a website which handles images properly, aRGB can give you better visibility, especially long term considering even more capable devices today and in near future.

As for print machines: The whole printing process is based on the CMYK color model. Although you may give to the machine an RGB file it still needs to convert it to CMYK, otherwise the print process is physically impossible.

If you happen to upload a Pro Photo, Adobe RGB, or other color profile to the web or a print machine...then your images may come out Darker than you expected... more Muted and Gray than you hoped for... and Less Saturated than you remember seeing on your desktop monitor.

But the solution to this is not "use sRGB and your print colors will match your desktop monitor" smile

Oct 13 16 02:48 pm Link