Forums > Photography Talk > General practices during TFP shoots

Photographer

Kuhn50

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, US

I'm setting up a TPF with a model, and we'll require a MUA for the shoot. The styling is nothing too crazy, but the MUA (model's connection) does not do TFP.

So, my question is- what would the general practices be for who pays for the MUA in this scenario? Photographer, Model, or both?

As a side note, I'm okay covering the cost- as the shoot theme was my idea, and the model is providing wardrobe. 

But is there a standard with all things being equal?

Oct 14 16 12:59 pm Link

Photographer

P R E S T O N

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

I don't believe there's a 'standard' as such because whilst some MUA will expect to be paid there will certainly be others who are willing to TF.

My own preference is to always pay the MUA because I prefer to concentrate my efforts around shooting what the model and I want. Expecting an MUA to TF and go away with the same images feels like short-changing her but shooting something specifically for her port can be time-consuming and kinda disruptive to everything else you aim to achieve.

Since paying an MUA is my preference I don't expect the model to contribute towards it. Most models presented with that will instead try to find someone willing to TF - which leaves you exposed to perhaps unreliable and inexperienced people.

BTW - I always find my own mua rather than use one the model 'knows'. That ensures I have reasonable influence over the MU otherwise you might find the model and MUA just do their own thing regardless of what you might prefer.

Oct 14 16 01:11 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

In this specific case where the model is arranging for the mua . . . the model is the one to pay the makeup fee.

You are providing photos to the model as your part of the deal.

The MUA's fee should be of no concern to you whatsoever.

It is the same as if the model got her hair done, or bought a pair of shoes she wanted for the shoot.

Your obligation is for photos only . . . delivered to the model.

KM

Oct 14 16 01:35 pm Link

Photographer

Todd Meredith

Fayetteville, North Carolina, US

Hey OP,

Everyone has their own take on these matters.  Even though the MUA is a contact of the model, there's nothing saying you can't chip in on or even cover the MUAs fee.  This all in the beauty of negotiation.

You stated the concept was yours and the model is already providing wardrobe.  So why not, if you're able, cover the MUA?  It's always been my contention that small things go a long way.  The model will probably feel more appreciated if you at least offer and the MUA could become a valuable go to asset if she sees you step up on this cost.  After all, the supplies of the MUA aren't free, just like cards and gear aren't free for us and clothes aren't free for the model.

Best of luck in your shoot and all you do.  Would love to see the finished images.

Oct 14 16 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

Kuhn50

Great, thanks for all the info and opinions, I appreciate it.

Oct 14 16 08:31 pm Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

London, England, United Kingdom

There is no right answer. If it was me it would depend on why the MUA was needed and why that particular MUA was needed too.

There person in airing on a MUA is the person paying, you can discuss going 50/50.

Also I would assume that the MUA is not interested in photos from the shoot hence wanting pay and no photos (I wouldn't offer the MUA photos and pay). You could always look for a MUA who is interested and willing to TF so it is a TF shoot for all.

The model wouldn't provide wardrobe if she didn't think your theme was worth it.

Oct 15 16 12:14 am Link

Photographer

Eyesso

Orlando, Florida, US

Depends who is requiring the MUA.  If you wanted the MUA, then you pay.  If your model wants a MUA, tell her that you don't need that and would be glad to shoot her with a more natural look rather than pay for a look you didn't intend.

Oct 15 16 12:36 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

the problem happens when someone flakes. you can wind up with a model but no MUA or a MUA but no model. and if the MUA is expecting to get paid you may have to pay her even if the model no-shows.

much easier if the model arranges for her own MUA. but then you better not flake.

Oct 15 16 03:54 pm Link

Photographer

Kuhn50

Thanks for the additional opinions. As it turns out, the MUA is unavailable that day, so the model is just going to handle her own hair and makeup.

That's a good point about asking the model to schedule the MUA on a TFP because of the potential for flaking and then owing the MUA anyways. I don't think there is any worry of any flaking for this shoot though, as the model has a reliable history and seems to be pretty commited.

Oct 15 16 07:31 pm Link

Photographer

Mikey McMichaels

New York, New York, US

Kuhn50 wrote:
I'm setting up a TPF with a model, and we'll require a MUA for the shoot. The styling is nothing too crazy, but the MUA (model's connection) does not do TFP.

So, my question is- what would the general practices be for who pays for the MUA in this scenario? Photographer, Model, or both?

As a side note, I'm okay covering the cost- as the shoot theme was my idea, and the model is providing wardrobe. 

It's all negotiable always.

It seems to me that if the model is insisting on a specific MUA who won't do a trade, the model should pay.

On the other hand if the model insists that you paying is term for the shoot, then you have to pay or find someone else.

Oct 16 16 01:44 am Link

Photographer

MikeW

Cape Canaveral, Florida, US

Kuhn50 wrote:

There were standards but are no longer followed. Originally in a TF*, the model would pay for the MUA and stylist.In a photographer's test shoot, the photographer would pay for such. IMHO, whoever supplies the MUA is responsible for paying for them. It is part of the issue as to who the stylists and  MUA report to - the model or photographer. As a photographer, I want control on the set even when it is a collaboration type shoot.

Oct 16 16 07:17 am Link

Photographer

Dexellery Photo

Redondo Beach, California, US

At the end of the day, it currently really just comes down to what is agreed upon in advance.  I've worked with some models who provided their own MUA artist (and whatever their deal was is between them), I've worked with ones who I provided the artist and with quite a few who do their own hair & make-up.

I think the only standard nowadays is to treat it like any other agreement, be upfront, maintain good communication and be on the same page.

Oct 16 16 09:13 am Link