Forums > General Industry > Coming to New York, but...

Photographer

L o n d o n F o g

London, England, United Kingdom

...can anyone pinpoint where this is?

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v690/AA777/NYC%202_zpsjxf3wkjn.jpg

I'm hoping to hop across the pond with a wonderful model and friend, and we're looking to shoot some cool cityscapes, something like the above, so I'm trying to work out where this was shot. After some extensive scouring around in Google Maps/Earth I kind of narrowed it down to possibly Gantry Plaza State Park in the Hunters Point/Long Island City district.

And yes, I have messaged the photographer who took the pic, but have not heard back as yet.

Maybe one of the New Yorkers on here can confirm...where's Udor?

Oct 20 16 02:52 am Link

Photographer

P R E S T O N

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

My guess would be here. You can see the rocks at the tip of Belmont.

Oct 20 16 03:46 am Link

Photographer

L o n d o n F o g

K I M I L Y wrote:

You could be right. At first I thought it might be the other side in NJ, as in Hoboken (Frank Sinatra Dr), but it's clearly not as the sun couldn't be in that position behind her.

Oct 20 16 08:36 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

It actually looks more like it's taken from Roosevelt Island, which you can reach by tram or subway.

On the lower left is a building visible. I used to live in that one, almost on the top (31st Floor of 34 floors). and located on 34th Street and second Avenue. The Roosevelt Island tram is along the north side of the 59th Street bridge.

This looks like it's taken between 9 and 11am, as the sun sets behind the skyline from this angle.

I could be wrong, but I am pretty certain that I am very close to the description.

Also, the distance is way too short to be taken from New Jersey or Queens/Brooklyn. so, yeah... best bet is Roosevelt Island!

Oct 20 16 10:50 am Link

Photographer

AndysPrints

Falls Church, Virginia, US

K I M I L Y wrote:

No, I think this is correct. The angle is not right to have been taken from Roosevelt Island. We are looking at the East face of the ESB and from Roosevelt, you would see more of the North side.

Also, if it was taken from the island, i think you might get a slice of the UN that you don't see in this photo.

Oct 20 16 10:56 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

FilmmakerDC wrote:

No, I think this is correct. The angle is not right to have been taken from Roosevelt Island. We are looking at the East face of the ESB and from Roosevelt, you would see more of the North side.

Also, if it was taken from the island, i think you might get a slice of the UN that you don't see in this photo.

Belmont Island is almost directly in front of the UN and I think you may get the UN building in view.

I am actually confused about that location now.

Oct 20 16 11:58 am Link

Photographer

P R E S T O N

Maybe this helps a bit:

https://bcu.ulbsibiu.ro/smart/prezent/07_iulie/Miss_Models_International_concert.jpg

UN concealed by the banner I reckon. It's pretty obvious there's been some cloning going on but the wider perspective might help a little.

Oct 20 16 12:17 pm Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

I worked on Roosevelt island n recognise the view. That wall she is standing on is at the southern tip of the island in the new park built a couple years ago.

Take the F train one stop out of manhattan.

Oct 20 16 12:32 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

The F-Stop wrote:
I worked on Roosevelt island n recognise the view. That wall she is standing on is at the southern tip of the island in the new park built a couple years ago.

Yes, and Belmont Island doesn't have a built structure like the one visible!

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/da/U_Thant_Island_from_West.jpg/1024px-U_Thant_Island_from_West.jpg

... and as I've said... I recognize the building I have lived in!

Oh... and I just read on Wikipedia that access is prohibited to the public!!!

Oct 20 16 12:43 pm Link

Photographer

L o n d o n F o g

The F-Stop wrote:

Well I'm more confused than ever! I just Googled the Island and this is the view from the southern most tip.

Apologies for the ridiculous small pic (MM still has that pathetic 700pixel width BS restriction), but it's clear to see that The Empire State bldg cannot be see as in that pic of the model from this vantage point?

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v690/AA777/NYC_zpsdl89zj0f.jpg

I still maintain it's the Gantry Plaza State Pk taken with a biggish zoom to pull in the skyscrapers behind her?

Oct 20 16 12:59 pm Link

Photographer

P R E S T O N

The F-Stop wrote:

The UN and the ESB would be almost perfectly aligned behind the model if that was true.

Oct 20 16 12:59 pm Link

Photographer

P R E S T O N

udor wrote:
Yes, and Belmont Island doesn't have a built structure like the one visible!

... and as I've said... I recognize the building I have lived in!

I think you're mistaken. What built structure are you referring to?

Oct 20 16 01:02 pm Link

Photographer

L o n d o n F o g

We have to also bear in mind that the pic of the model was taken in 2008, a lot can change in nearly 9 years!

Oct 20 16 01:08 pm Link

Photographer

P R E S T O N

L o n d o n   F o g wrote:
We have to also bear in mind that the pic of the model was taken in 2008, a lot can change in nearly 9 years!

She probably has wrinkles by now.

Oct 20 16 01:09 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

K I M I L Y wrote:
I think you're mistaken. What built structure are you referring to?

In your post you are linking to Belmont Island as a possible location of that shoot!

K I M I L Y wrote:

The model is standing on a smooth stone platform, which doesn't exist on Belmont Island, which is also not accessible to the public!

I totally agree with The F-Stop, that this is taken from the southern tip of Roosevelt Island. the angle matches. The UN building is to the right of the model, but covered in the wide angle shot by the banners.

You can also see the green wall alongside the FDR drive.

Lastly, as I have said above, my former residence is clearly visible and you'd see that from Roosevelt Island.

Oct 20 16 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

then its from down the road on vernon blvd. there are a few parks along there.

but at the correct angle???? that is tge fdr in the pic.

Oct 20 16 01:11 pm Link

Photographer

P R E S T O N

udor wrote:
In your post you are linking to Belmont Island as a possible location of that shoot!

No I'm not.

https://www.kimilyphoto.com/public/ny.jpg

Oct 20 16 01:13 pm Link

Photographer

L o n d o n F o g

udor wrote:

The model is standing on a smooth stone platform, which doesn't exist on Belmont Island, which is also not accessible to the public!

I totally agree with The F-Stop, that this is taken from the southern tip of Roosevelt Island. the angle matches. The UN building is to the right of the model, but covered in the wide angle shot by the banners.

You can also see the green wall alongside the FDR drive.

Lastly, as I have said above, my former residence is clearly visible and you'd see that from Roosevelt Island.

Udor, check my Google snapshot, it's impossible for it to have been taken from Roosevelt Island! I am surfing that area now on Google Earth and Maps, and it's got to be from the Hunters Point area!

I do wish the photographer would the hurry the fuck up and put us all out of our misery! Or me at least!

Oct 20 16 01:17 pm Link

Photographer

AndysPrints

Falls Church, Virginia, US

K I M I L Y wrote:

The photo was taken from here (Gantry Plaza State Park). Click on the link in the original post (quoted above) and you will see the vantage point. "You can see the rocks of the tip of Belmont" does not mean the photo was taken from Belmont. Belmont is hidden behind the blue banner in the wide shot. See the green shrubs? That's not on the other side of the river, it's in the middle of the river. Try and debunk the image from that perspective. It all lines up.

Oct 20 16 01:26 pm Link

Photographer

P R E S T O N

FilmmakerDC wrote:
It all lines up.

https://www.kimilyphoto.com/public/ny2.jpg

Oct 20 16 01:31 pm Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

very good! just south of RI off vernon blvd. thats it!

when i was working on RI that park was a dump.

Oct 20 16 01:37 pm Link

Photographer

L o n d o n F o g

Definitely the Gantry Plaza State Park...

Nov 2015

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v690/AA777/Gantry%20Plaza_zpsgb9sga4r.jpg

May 2016

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v690/AA777/Gantry%20Plaza%202_zpslvngnkyo.jpg

Sept 2016

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v690/AA777/Gantry%20Plaza%203_zpsmsxwqm4o.jpg

Oct 20 16 02:03 pm Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

I am no expert, but it looks like the model was shot in a studio.. Maybe the green screen thing and pasted
on the New York sky line...Does not answer the location question except it is somewhere in Queen by the East River

Oct 20 16 05:08 pm Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

Googol    Getty images Bruce Yuanyue B1        you might locate the place....

Oct 20 16 05:38 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I took this shot by the East river in Astoria.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/100826/11/4c76afea389d1.jpg

Oct 21 16 09:57 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Hunter's Point

Studio36

Oct 21 16 10:18 pm Link

Photographer

DespayreFX

Delta, British Columbia, Canada

If it helps, I have spoken to that photographer in the past, it wasn't immediate after I sent him a msg, but he did eventually reply, and you can also find the model through his port, and you could probably send her a msg too.

Oct 21 16 11:00 pm Link

Photographer

JONATHAN RICHARD

New York, New York, US

L o n d o n   F o g wrote:
...can anyone pinpoint where this is?

Yes...as K I M I L Y  and yourself   pointed out correctly  Gantry Park and  the location is indeed the  corner of a small  sea wall  at the  peninsula  to right of the pier along  48 Ave  as seen in KIMILY link.
I was in that vicinity yesterday and can verify the two hornblende inclusions in the granite ... ( large black specks to the left of the joint  calking) at  the corner  of the  granite  wall cap  model is standing on .
Send a PM with email and I will send a cell snap of that exact position if needed ?

Oct 22 16 05:28 am Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
I took this shot by the East river in Astoria.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/100826/11/4c76afea389d1.jpg

Thats the triborough bridge.

Oct 22 16 03:13 pm Link

Photographer

L o n d o n F o g

DespayreFX wrote:
If it helps, I have spoken to that photographer in the past, it wasn't immediate after I sent him a msg, but he did eventually reply, and you can also find the model through his port, and you could probably send her a msg too.

Thanks to all, but I think we've worked out where this spot is.

Oct 22 16 05:37 pm Link