Forums > Photography Talk > Episode 1: Top Photographer with Nigel Barker

Photographer

T A R I Q

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Finally a reality show for Photographers.........check out the first episode that premiers tonight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS9h3lOCo0s

Nov 01 16 04:18 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Awesome, although I would like to have heard from the Photographers about their choice of Camera / Lense combination as some seemed long, others wide given the situation

Thanks for sharing.

Nov 01 16 04:46 pm Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

I enjoyed watching the show. It made me think about what I would have done in that position.

Nov 02 16 03:21 pm Link

Photographer

Stay Young Photography

Cocoa, Florida, US

I watched it Tuesday as it kept coming up on my facebook feed that I should watch it. I liked the non-action shot the best, for me it was the best done technically though I understand why Roxy won. I am surprised the one who underexposed it continued. The challenge was to do it technically correct without post-processing and to get the "essence" of the fencer.

Nov 03 16 07:11 am Link

Photographer

Managing Light

Salem, Virginia, US

Thanks for the heads-up.  I'm not a fan of this genre, but I enjoyed this.  Now all I have to do is remember to watch the rest of the series.

Nov 03 16 11:13 am Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

ANTM for photographers.
Missing the hot chicks.
Same hokey style on a much smaller budget.

Nov 03 16 02:58 pm Link

Photographer

tcphoto

Nashville, Tennessee, US

It was amazing how only two out of the five actually listened to what was asked of them. I found it even harder to believe that only two went over and introduced themselves to the subject before starting. If Nigel supplied his own Assistant, I would have  taken advantage of his knowledge and spent a couple minutes connecting with the subject.

Nov 05 16 07:59 am Link

Model

Caitin Bre

Apache Junction, Arizona, US

Interesting.
I did notice that it is very heavily based on equipment. Looks like it is very much produced by mfgr's. it might be a big push for camera sales. Unlike series like "The Voice" where you don't see brand names of music gear being bounced all over.

I enjoy the contestants and the tests of skills. But I can't help but feel the strong presence of a advanced infomercial for equipment.

After watching it again I do like it. And I am happy that there is a show like this that does cover several aspects of a great shot.

I hope it stays up and going. I will watch it.

And yes I knew that the female photographer nailed it. Ha. smile

Nov 05 16 12:08 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

I was going to pass, but after reading the comments I think I ought to check it out.

Nigel was(is?) sponsored by Sony ... So if those are the cameras shown, it may not necessarily be a show decision. Having brand names visible might have been part of his contract.

It'll be interesting to see what is said, because it's actually very different from Top Model or The Voice. Nigel(I love that name!) is a pretty traditional photographer, and tends to do things 'the right way.' Unlike say Teller or Paar, who can be 'right', but will go batshit if you let them.

The judges on The Voice aren't 'right' singers, or they'd be courting Sarah Brightman and Diana Krall. The way they comment and instruct will be different.

I expect I'll yell at the TV a lot, but ultimately enjoy it.

Nov 05 16 05:58 pm Link

Photographer

Vector One Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Is this the same guy from that fake reality show about the girl next door becoming a top model ?  You know, the one with world's best known art director, the world's best known modeling coach, and the world's best known fashion photographer with the world's best known ex-model ?

"Those that can.. do, those that can't ...teach, and those that can't teach become reality TV stars."

Nov 07 16 04:14 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Vector One Photography wrote:
Is this the same guy from that fake reality show about the girl next door becoming a top model ?  You know, the one with world's best known art director, the world's best known modeling coach, and the world's best known fashion photographer with the world's best known ex-model ?

"Those that can.. do, those that can't ...teach, and those that can't teach become reality TV stars."

I would choose to amend: Those that can, and can teach are a wonder in the world.

Yes, ANTM and equally as boring to me. Lacks the hot chicks running around in their underwear.

But it was interesting to see how many missed the brief on what they were asked to shoot.

Nov 08 16 11:59 am Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

I watched the episode with one of my classes today - as luck would have it, my commercial and advertising class.

We loved it.

We all yelled at the screen - not just me. And we all got pissed when the blonde dude almost totally ignored what he was asked to do, made zero attempt to connect with client or subject, and had the nerve to blame his failure on anything but that.

The product placement bothered then at first, until I explained that the show was put on by a store. Then criticism switched to the fact that not everyone was given the same gear for the same task. Not that it matters, because it's looking like the girl's a ringer and the guys are all filler. But still.

Nov 08 16 05:27 pm Link

Photographer

Marcio Faustino

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

I think this show is very weak and silly.

What a street photographer who have never done a photo shoot, and an other who have never shot in studio (first episode) are doing there? It is like asking to a kart pilot and a rally pilot to compete in a F1 agains each other.

On the second episode it doesn't show photographers directing models.

To me it is just a show to sell cameras and accessories (brands). I would rather see a more real stuff.
But as cheap entertainment it does the job.

Nov 09 16 09:25 am Link

Photographer

Noah Russell

Seattle, Washington, US

Caitin Bre  wrote:
Interesting.
I did notice that it is very heavily based on equipment. Looks like it is very much produced by mfgr's. it might be a big push for camera sales. Unlike series like "The Voice" where you don't see brand names of music gear being bounced all over.

I enjoy the contestants and the tests of skills. But I can't help but feel the strong presence of a advanced infomercial for equipment.

After watching it again I do like it. And I am happy that there is a show like this that does cover several aspects of a great shot.

I hope it stays up and going. I will watch it.

And yes I knew that the female photographer nailed it. Ha. smile

Adorama is a photography equipment store.smile I'm certain their motivation included driving sales.

Cheers,
Noah

Nov 09 16 02:03 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Noah Russell wrote:

Adorama is a photography equipment store.smile I'm certain their motivation included driving sales.

Cheers,
Noah

Indeed. I think most everyone would prefer it to be less gear-centric, but we have to view it based on what it is, and not what we think it should be. What it is is an advertisement that is much more interesting and(in some ways) informative than your average infotainment program.

The alternative wouldn't be a better show - it would be worse ads.

I suspect that's why we're getting random newbs, and one contestant that is clearly more talented and professional than the rest. I think she is there to show us what can be done with the gear,  and the others are meant to show us how easy it is to use - and on some level, to make some viewers think, 'I could do that better if I had that equipment. I'm going to look it up right now.'

Nov 09 16 05:23 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Marcio Faustino wrote:
I think this show is very weak and silly.

What a street photographer who have never done a photo shoot, and an other who have never shot in studio (first episode) are doing there? It is like asking to a kart pilot and a rally pilot to compete in a F1 agains each other.

On the second episode it doesn't show photographers directing models.

To me it is just a show to sell cameras and accessories (brands). I would rather see a more real stuff.
But as cheap entertainment it does the job.

I might agree with your last, if it was entertaining.

Cheap shitty knockoff of ANTM, with all the hockey none dramatic moments.
I had hope.

A portrait photographer who has never done fashion and has no clue about fashion, yeah he is going to do well.

"This is not a Pamela whatsherface style of image."
I sorry, but considering they were never shown her style of images, and basically only saw one dress, how the hell were they supposed to know what the designers style is. BS.

Here Nigel, let's see how you do shooting hockey teams against a friend who does it for a living.

Now on the flip side:
A top photographer should be able to do a good job of shooting anything. And an amazing job at their specialty. Not sure the new kids on the block have been around enough or even interested enough to be more than a one trick pony.

Once upon a time as a working photographer I did weddings, fashion, industrial, and product. Some architectural. And nature for myself. Most of the people I knew were similar, with strengths in various areas. Most of the old farts here are probably in the same boat, and could handle most anything that comes their way.

With current camera technology making taking pictures so easy, there is little excuse for not being competent in more that one genre.

Yeah, I can also see Roxy's style. She likes movement. Composition, styling and artistry, maybe not her strong suit.

Nov 09 16 09:59 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Zack Zoll wrote:

Indeed. I think most everyone would prefer it to be less gear-centric, but we have to view it based on what it is, and not what we think it should be. What it is is an advertisement that is much more interesting and(in some ways) informative than your average infotainment program.

The alternative wouldn't be a better show - it would be worse ads.

I suspect that's why we're getting random newbs, and one contestant that is clearly more talented and professional than the rest. I think she is there to show us what can be done with the gear,  and the others are meant to show us how easy it is to use - and on some level, to make some viewers think, 'I could do that better if I had that equipment. I'm going to look it up right now.'

Nope, I think it shows that the best and most expensive equipment does not make you a good photographer.
I would like to see any one of a dozen MM photographers up there with an iPhone. Now that would be an interesting show.

Nov 09 16 10:20 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Nov 09 16 11:57 pm Link

Photographer

WisconsinArt

Nashotah, Wisconsin, US

The show is fake. I could tell because the models showed up for the shoot. :p

Nov 10 16 03:45 am Link

Photographer

tcphoto

Nashville, Tennessee, US

It says a lot about the project when they only start with five contestants, produce five episodes and it airs on YouTube.

Nov 10 16 05:04 am Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

tcphoto wrote:
It says a lot about the project when they only start with five contestants, produce five episodes and it airs on YouTube.

go where the demographic is, not everything can, or should be a network show

Nov 10 16 09:24 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

The thing that I find most impressive is that even though the show was probably produced on a very limited budget, the production values are equal or better than that of similar shows that are on broadcast and cable networks.  It makes me think to myself "when I do a video production I'm gonna use what they're using" (which most likely isn't the same as the still cameras they're promoting... but Adorama does sell and rent video production stuff too, so it would give me confidence in getting what they recommend)

One of the elements that the show lacks is real diversity.  Yeah, most ethnic groups are represented by the 5 contestants, but they're all 20 something year olds and all probably living in or around New York.  Most reality shows will also throw in an old, gray haired hillbilly from Appalachia, a cowboy from Tulsa, and a flamboyant queer from San Fran to make it 'more interesting'.

... and we can't forget each contestant needs a good old sob story to go along with it.               
(actually, that's what I hate about most reality shows).

Nov 10 16 10:14 am Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

SayCheeZ!  wrote:
The thing that I find most impressive is that even though the show was probably produced on a very limited budget, the production values are equal or better than that of similar shows that are on broadcast and cable networks.  It makes me think to myself "when I do a video production I'm gonna use what they're using" (which most likely isn't the same as the still cameras they're promoting... but Adorama does sell and rent video production stuff too, so it would give me confidence in getting what they recommend)

One of the elements that the show lacks is real diversity.  Yeah, most ethnic groups are represented by the 5 contestants, but they're all 20 something year olds and all probably living in or around New York.  Most reality shows will also throw in an old, gray haired hillbilly from Appalachia, a cowboy from Tulsa, and a flamboyant queer from San Fran to make it 'more interesting'.

... and we can't forget each contestant needs a good old sob story to go along with it.               

That was my biggest complaint too. I thought it was stupid that everyone is a native(or apparently native) American from an urban area. Even if you just snagged five random NYU students, chances are good one of them would be from abroad. ICP, almost definitely.

Nov 10 16 04:45 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Herman Surkis wrote:

Nope, I think it shows that the best and most expensive equipment does not make you a good photographer.
I would like to see any one of a dozen MM photographers up there with an iPhone. Now that would be an interesting show.

That's really the other side of the coin to what I said.

I think we both agree these guys aren't awesome; where we disagree is that I think that's by design.

You can't tell me there aren't people that auditioned for American Idol purely because they thought, 'well shit, that guy made the first cut, and I'm better than he is.'

I think you're right about how it exposes the triviality of having the 'correct' gear - but this is first and foremost an ad, and Adorama is banking on more people going shopping than having Aha moments.

As much as I like to carry the Art, Creativity, and Problem-Solving torches, I think they made a safe bet.

Nov 10 16 04:54 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

SayCheeZ!  wrote:
Episode 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mCTebMrqR0

Sweet!

WisconsinArt wrote:

lol

Nov 10 16 05:41 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

WisconsinArt wrote:

LOL

Nov 10 16 10:25 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Zack Zoll wrote:

That's really the other side of the coin to what I said.

I think we both agree these guys aren't awesome; where we disagree is that I think that's by design.

You can't tell me there aren't people that auditioned for American Idol purely because they thought, 'well shit, that guy made the first cut, and I'm better than he is.'

I think you're right about how it exposes the triviality of having the 'correct' gear - but this is first and foremost an ad, and Adorama is banking on more people going shopping than having Aha moments.

As much as I like to carry the Art, Creativity, and Problem-Solving torches, I think they made a safe bet.

Tend to agree that it is somewhat of an ad, but what is the point if the way the equipment is being used is not shown and the results are mediocre. "Come spend tens of thousands of dollars, and you too can come up with mediocre results."

It is an ad for Adorama, and the equipment guys gave permission. Sponsored by...is used for some of the worst crap, so why not something that is a t least passable.

Nov 10 16 10:32 pm Link

Photographer

Noah Russell

Seattle, Washington, US

SayCheeZ!  wrote:

I completely agree on the production value aspect, however I suspect the shows budget was at least half a million and likely more. Factor in hotels, plane flights, and meals etc... not to mention the actual production of the show. If I had to guess, the budget was padded by canon and profoto.

But google tells me that the contestants weren't all from NY. The first one to go home  was from Seattle in fact. smile  Sadly no hillbilly this round. sad LOL

Cheers,
Noah

Nov 11 16 09:44 am Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Herman Surkis wrote:

Tend to agree that it is somewhat of an ad, but what is the point if the way the equipment is being used is not shown and the results are mediocre. "Come spend tens of thousands of dollars, and you too can come up with mediocre results."

It is an ad for Adorama, and the equipment guys gave permission. Sponsored by...is used for some of the worst crap, so why not something that is a t least passable.

I don't disagree that it has a LOT of flaws. But 'some of the worst?' What company makes a better TV show that doesn't watch like QVC? And who makes a better photo competition serial?  It's a unique concept, if only barely, and with any luck we'll see other companies do their own, better shows.

A number of photographers do shoot-outs as part of their seminars; i'd really like to see something assignment-based like that, and it can still be gear-centric. This week, everybody gets a Holga. Next week, everyone has to use a tilt-shift lens. The week after, everyone uses a film Hassy with a digital camera for preview, so they need to use a flash meter. After that, everybody has to shoot at 1.2, and is forced to manipulate factors other than aperture to control DOF. They could use any gear they want, but only be allowed to take a single exposure.

There are a lot more interesting ways to test skill and to show off expensive, specialty equipment than just handing everyone pricey gear and telling them to go for it.

Nov 11 16 04:36 pm Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I have to admit that I like the shows even though it's the type of show that I'd normally pass on (reality / competition shows).

The only thing I can figure is that it's easy to put yourself in their shoes (especially in the "fish out of water" shooting situations) and wonder how you'd decide to approach it (and come up with your approach "now").  Then they've got you because you either appreciate a job well done (I liked her first winning jump shot) and/or sometimes, just shake your head in disbelief.

I'd say they've got their target market figured out...  wink

Nov 11 16 08:13 pm Link

Photographer

Benjamin Kanarek

Paris, Île-de-France, France

No offence to anyone here, but since when is Nigel Barker a Top Photographer? He hasn't consistently worked for any of the major fashion magazines like VOGUE, Harper's BAZAAR, ELLE, etc. perhaps Cosmopolitan, but that is by no means considered a credible fashion magazine. Perhaps he is famous for being well marketed and his affiliations to project runway which he was fired from. Not at all credible my opinion.

If they chose Craig McDean, Steven Meisel, David Sims or someone of that calibre, yes, but Nigel Barker, me thinks not...

Thanks
Ben :-)

Nov 12 16 03:41 am Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

The Executive Producer personally selected him.  Oh, by the way, the show's Executive Producer is listed as "Nigel Barker"...   wink

Nov 12 16 05:57 am Link

Model

Caitin Bre

Apache Junction, Arizona, US

SayCheeZ!  wrote:
Episode 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mCTebMrqR0

I think Roxy did the best... I didn't think the background was too busy. But and a big one is the key was too shoot for spec. The clue was in what Nigel said. Shoot for a Pamella Rolland.
I would think that a quick study of the choices that Pamella Roland makes would have been extremely important. I don't know if they had access or time to do that... But a quick search and 5 minutes on the internet (maybe during makeup) with a cell would have been my top priority.

Nov 12 16 12:52 pm Link

Photographer

Benjamin Kanarek

LightDreams wrote:
The Executive Producer personally selected him.  Oh, by the way, the show's Executive Producer is listed as "Nigel Barker"...   wink

Of course he was...there you have it! wink

Nov 12 16 01:16 pm Link

Photographer

Yosh Studio

Los Angeles, California, US

Benjamin Kanarek wrote:
No offence to anyone here, but since when is Nigel Barker a Top Photographer? He hasn't consistently worked for any of the major fashion magazines like VOGUE, Harper's BAZAAR, ELLE, etc. perhaps Cosmopolitan, but that is by no means considered a credible fashion magazine. Perhaps he is famous for being well marketed and his affiliations to project runway which he was fired from. Not at all credible my opinion.

If they chose Craig McDean, Steven Meisel, David Sims or someone of that calibre, yes, but Nigel Barker, me thinks not...

Thanks
Ben :-)

Yes, he was a more successful model than fashion photographer...

Nov 12 16 02:10 pm Link

Photographer

Benjamin Kanarek

Yosh Studio wrote:

Yes, he was a more successful model than fashion photographer...

Indeed!

Nov 12 16 03:51 pm Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

London, England, United Kingdom

It's a bit like waiting for the No73 bus to Stoke Newington, you wait ages for one and two turn up!

Earlier this year, in the UK we had Sky Art's Master of Photography (trailer: https://vimeo.com/173614996) and now they have just closed application for Season 2. If you have access to Sky TV you may be able to watch it or at least keep an eye out for when the next season starts.

MoP was a pretty good production for a 1st season. Although originally I recall it being a concept by a UK production company, it seems to have grown somewhat to be a joint venture. They based the studio in Rome and nearly each episode was set in a different country, Ireland, England, Germany and Italy. The equipment was sponsored by Leica.

The show did seem to have a slant towards street/documentary photography and less studio based, and seemed to be about "capturing the essence" of the location they were in. I suspect that had something to do with funding since in the film industry, getting tax rebates and sponsorship by shooting in multiple countries is pretty popular, there's a hint of that in this show.

Some episode trailers too:
https://youtu.be/gLiVwF4T9Hc
https://youtu.be/M7tu179Tu-c
https://youtu.be/P5Y-PQBCDDE
https://youtu.be/ZR0izth8F0I
https://youtu.be/sIuDGBomsOA

And the Final trailer:
https://youtu.be/2ffhjjmWTP0

Nov 13 16 08:27 am Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

London, England, United Kingdom

I really enjoyed the two episodes so far of Top Photographer, yes it's very low budget in comparison to Master of Photography, but it's still entertaining.

I'm even more impressed to learn that the people behind it, Andorama, is a retailer! Watching the episodes so far, yes they feature Canon and Profoto, but I am guessing they are the only ones that were willing to sponsor the production. I bet season 2 will have more people trying to get involved. The first season of any show is always the hardest to produce because not many people want to invest until they've seen an actual episode.

As for product placement, it's pretty sure if you compare it to a show like ANTM which is littered with product placement and sponsorship. For instance.

The main prizes, when Tara would read out the very long list of scripted, brands behind the prizes, I'd skip that part of the show. That would be a good 30 seconds of brand names and tag lines. Even the model agency brands and the cover spread was always with a well known magazine

Then you have the main product sponsor of the show, aimed at teen girls, usually a makeup product. Whenever it was mentioned, you had the brand and tag line "Maxwhatever Longer Lasting Lash" or "Whateveritscalled for Luscious Lips".

Then who could forget the " from easy, breezy, Covergirl" slogans throughout the early seasons?

Not to mention the guest designers that campaigns were shot for and the commercials created towards the end of the Cycle! I'm pretty sure all these brands paid big money to have their brand names put before millions of teenagers.

Project Runway is another show littered with product placement. Again you have the multiple branded prizes, but in addition to those you had Mood and the Accessories wall which is always an online retailer and named after the retail sponsoring the wall. Again lots of hair and make up branding as the models go to H&MU and they explain what look they "recommend", always describing the brand they are going to use ont he model.

So bit of kit used to take a photograph is hardly going to brainwash you guys!

Nov 13 16 08:44 am Link

Photographer

Jim Lafferty

Brooklyn, New York, US

Benjamin Kanarek wrote:
He hasn't consistently worked for any of the major fashion magazines like VOGUE, Harper's BAZAAR, ELLE, etc.

I get that we're on MM, and I get that your post is self-flattering... but c'mon, since when is being a "top photographer" only relegated to shooting fashion? Half the top dogs in that field have their 1st do all the heavy lifting anyway   wink

Nov 13 16 01:30 pm Link

Photographer

T A R I Q

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I am looking forward to the 3rd episode

Nov 13 16 07:04 pm Link