Forums > Model Colloquy > Posing Nude

Model

Lisa Everhart

Sebring, Florida, US

As a model, why do you choose to pose nude, or to not pose nude?

I pose nude to express my love of personal and individual liberty and choice, to honor art and the human condition and to promote the idea that a woman's revealed nude body does not necessarily or automatically have to generate objectification and sexual desire.

Other times I like to express my sexuality through imagery I create with my girl friends. Either way, it is a matter of freedom for me.

Nov 06 16 04:21 am Link

Retoucher

Sofia, Sofija grad, Bulgaria

I have talked to my models about that and I get different replies. Let me share in case you are interested to know what about 100 models and more said:

Some reasons they point out about shooting nude:

- they like the end result (the picture)
- they do it because one day they will not look so good (the vanity of age)
- some do it as a cult to their own body (those who sport a lot in order to impress others)
- some don't care - they just want to get paid for the shoot (i don't work with those)

The ones who do not shoot nude give reasons such as:

- afraid of public opinion
- afraid of boyfriend's/family's opinion
- afraid they don't look good enough
- afraid someone may abuse the image when it goes online
- want to get into politics

So if one looks carefully it is the same pattern in both - self concern about one's own image and fear of the violence of the society: the same reason for which nudity became a taboo in the past and hence something special today, a means of expressing some idea of freedom in the form of rebel (the sexual revolution etc). Perhaps if humans didn't put sexuality in the center of their life, nudity wouldn't be any different from wearing a wrist watch or not.

Nov 06 16 06:05 am Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

Lisa Everhart wrote:

I pose nude to express my love of personal and individual liberty and choice, to honor the human condition and to promote the idea that a woman's revealed nude body does not necessarily or automatically have to generate objectification and sexual desire.

Other times I like to express my sexuality through imagery. Either way, it is a matter of freedom for me.

I agree that it is all about personal choices and the freedom of expression.

Anyone who knew me growing up would never, ever have expected me to model naked, as I had a very sheltered upbringing. I never even had any interest in dating until I was well past 30. Everyone told me I should be a model, as early as 11 or 12 because I was always tall and very thin, so while in my teens I took several modelling classes but never actually went ahead to do any modelling besides what was associated with the classes. When I finally came out of my shell and worked up the courage to model at age 35, I regretted not having started at an earlier age. My very first real modelling work was with a group of artists, and I was naked. 

I learned that I really love being able to express myself as a model by being able to take all my clothes off and the feeling of freedom when I do that in a studio, a classroom, or outdoors is simply wonderful. If you understand the difference on an emotional level between being nude and being naked, I need to be naked, exposed, and vulnerable when I model. Perhaps it's sometimes just a  bit naughty in some of the genres I have worked in, as I was taught when I was growing up. Hopefully I am well beyond the point of letting that hold me back after nearly 30 years of modelling.

I treasure the vulnerability of presenting myself naked to strangers as part of the creative process while trying to make art with my body. Later on being able to share the photos or artwork with the world in my portfolios both online and print or in gallery displays is also quite rewarding. It's always a wonderful boost to my self esteem to hear positive comments about what I have done. Whenever something I have modelled for has been featured in a gallery display, I make it a point to go there and spend several hours near the photo or artwork on display, so I can talk to the people who come to see it after I see their reactions.

Based upon the feedback about my work, I made the decision many years ago to only model naked and not do any clothed work. I also decided that I would continue modelling as long as I am physically able and there are artists and photographers who want me to work with them.

Quite simply I have found modelling naked to be the single most empowering thing I could possibly ever do for myself as a woman. I love the artistic possibilities as well as occasionally doing some sexy, erotic or fetish type work that appeals to the naughty side.

Nov 06 16 07:12 am Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Lisa Everhart wrote:

I pose nude to express my love of personal and individual liberty and choice, to honor the human condition and to promote the idea that a woman's revealed nude body does not necessarily or automatically have to generate objectification and sexual desire.

Other times I like to express my sexuality through imagery. Either way, it is a matter of freedom for me.

There are some nice comments and thoughts shared about nude modeling in this edu article. I used to have it posted on my profile here. https://www.modelmayhem.com/education/m … ude-models

Nov 06 16 09:04 am Link

Model

Lisa Everhart

Sebring, Florida, US

Jen B wrote:

There are some nice comments and thoughts shared about nude modeling in this edu article. I used to have it posted on my profile here. https://www.modelmayhem.com/education/m … ude-models

Good points. Thank you for posting the link Jen.

Nov 06 16 11:41 am Link

Model

Caitin Bre

Apache Junction, Arizona, US

Freedom
Creativity
I also like to view and collect (prints I purchase) of art that have nudity...
One of my favorite prints of others works at the moment http://fineartamerica.com/featured/dera … naman.html

Nov 06 16 11:43 am Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I look like crap in clothing.

Nov 06 16 11:54 am Link

Model

Lisa Everhart

Sebring, Florida, US

Koryn wrote:

I know what you mean. I always think pastel purple and green look good together.

Nov 06 16 12:06 pm Link

Model

Lisa Everhart

Sebring, Florida, US

Caitin Bre  wrote:
Freedom
Creativity
I also like to view and collect (prints I purchase) of art that have nudity...
One of my favorite prints of others works at the moment http://fineartamerica.com/featured/dera … naman.html

It's beautiful. I have a few myself and I love nude paintings.

Nov 06 16 12:07 pm Link

Model

Magda Kulpinska

Paris, Île-de-France, France

I chose not to, not because I'm prude but because I don't want my family and friends see these kind of photos and also because certain behaviour on set made me uncomfortablene.

Nov 06 16 02:43 pm Link

Model

Lisa Everhart

Sebring, Florida, US

Magda Kulpinska wrote:
I chose not to, not because I'm prude but because I don't want my family and friends see these kind of photos and also because certain behaviour on set made me uncomfortablene.

Yours is certainly the majority opinion Magda and a reasonable one as well. I respect both choices.

Nov 06 16 03:24 pm Link

Photographer

J Andrescavage Photo

San Francisco, California, US

Lisa Everhart wrote:
Yours is certainly the majority opinion Magda and a reasonable one as well. I respect both choices.

I have to say, it's understandable, but also unfortunate that it's one of those decisions that lots of people still pass on because of outside influences such as family and coworkers. 

I've turned down shooting quite a few people for nude projects because they want to do it but the restrictions on where the work can be shown/who can see it were just too broad for me to get any use of the shots.  I'm not going to just shoot someone and then never let the photo see the light of day.  Sad, but as you say, completely reasonable if they know the personal risks are too great.

Nov 06 16 03:37 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

anchev wrote:
I have talked to my models about that and I get different replies. Let me share in case you are interested to know what about 100 models and more said:

- some do it as a cult to their own body (those who sport a lot in order to impress others)
- some don't care - they just want to get paid for the shoot (i don't work with those)

So if one looks carefully it is the same pattern in both - self concern about one's own image and fear of the violence of the society: the same reason for which nudity became a taboo in the past and hence something special today, a means of expressing some idea of freedom in the form of rebel (the sexual revolution etc). Perhaps if humans didn't put sexuality in the center of their life, nudity wouldn't be any different from wearing a wrist watch or not.

Excellent summary.  My experience is similar.

Nov 06 16 07:15 pm Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

Concur!

Nov 06 16 10:16 pm Link

Model

Dekilah

Dearborn, Michigan, US

In the simplest of terms: I do it because I enjoy it.

I enjoy it for quite a few reasons including:
- I am tiny and it can be difficult to find wardrobe that fits me properly, that was a constant struggle when I started.
- I feel that my body type is well suited to nudes (and what a lot of photographers look for in a nude model).
- It's empowering (again, for a variety of reasons).
- It's relaxing for me, coming into a flow posing and creating the shapes and lines.
- I feel like I'm good at it. I've grown as a person since I started, but when I did I really didn't feel like I was good at much of anything, but nudes seemed to "fit" me as a person.
- It gives me a way to contribute artistically to the world. Again, I've grown and now I'm much involved in the art world, but when I started I wasn't and I've never been skilled at any of the classical arts.
- I like the attention my images receive. I like that they express emotion, that some people find them aesthetically pleasing, that people talk about them, and that some people even want to own them for their collection.

Nov 14 16 01:17 pm Link

Model

Lisa Everhart

Sebring, Florida, US

Dekilah wrote:
In the simplest of terms: I do it because I enjoy it.

I enjoy it for quite a few reasons including:
- I am tiny and it can be difficult to find wardrobe that fits me properly, that was a constant struggle when I started.
- I feel that my body type is well suited to nudes (and what a lot of photographers look for in a nude model).
- It's empowering (again, for a variety of reasons).
- It's relaxing for me, coming into a flow posing and creating the shapes and lines.
- I feel like I'm good at it. I've grown as a person since I started, but when I did I really didn't feel like I was good at much of anything, but nudes seemed to "fit" me as a person.
- It gives me a way to contribute artistically to the world. Again, I've grown and now I'm much involved in the art world, but when I started I wasn't and I've never been skilled at any of the classical arts.
- I like the attention my images receive. I like that they express emotion, that some people find them aesthetically pleasing, that people talk about them, and that some people even want to own them for their collection.

I think you're awesome.

Nov 15 16 02:10 am Link

Photographer

ParagonImages

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

anchev wrote:

Yea its sad that so much of our society demonizes the human form. It causes a lot of us to grow up with severe issues. I actually read a study a while ago that said that people who grew up in nudist/naturist families and communities had much higher self esteem on average. Since we are bombarded by a lot of media that shows unrealistic bodies, while at the same time told we should cover up and never let others see us naked, it has led to many people feeling like they dont look good enough. But growing up in a naturist community allows people to see all different body types and realize that they are normal and beautiful in their own way.

One of the reasons I prefer to shoot nudes, besides the fact that I think the human form is natural and beautiful, is that its my small rebellion against the societal view that nudity is bad and has to be sexual. I may not be able to change much since Im not well known or anything, but if I can influence even one person to see the natural beauty in nudity, I will consider myself a success.

I have posed nude myself. Mostly for figure drawing classes but once also for a photographer. For me, I just enjoy being naked and feel that there is nothing wrong with it. I also love art and love to contribute to the creation of artistic works any way I can.

Nov 15 16 06:06 am Link

Photographer

Marcio Faustino

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

I started posing nude because I was used to find TFP nudes very often, but after moving I could not find anymore TFP models, so I in oders to keep work with nude photos I became my own model.

It also helped me to be more confident with my body. Used to look at me I if I was ugly and unatractive. Now I look at me as attractive and interesting body.

https://www.marciofaustino.com/uploads/1/6/4/6/16464874/marcio-faustino-744_orig.jpg

Nov 15 16 06:47 am Link

Photographer

ParagonImages

Yea I agree with that. Modeling can help improve your own view of yourself. It did for me as well. It enabled me to see that I have just as interesting and beautiful body as anyone else. Modelling for figure drawing classes back in college really opened up my world.
I would model for myself but unfortunately my usual methods of photography would make it close to impossible... I prefer to move a lot and constantly look for good angles and such. Im not very good at figuring out compositions ahead of time and planning for a single, static shot.
I actually should probably work on that soon. It would be good to grow as a photographer in that respect.

Nov 15 16 11:08 am Link

Model

Crystal Wings

San Diego, California, US

Lisa Everhart wrote:

Our reasons are the same. In my wordy perspective, I pose nude because, given that the shoot is respectful and comfortable, it's a liberating experience for me. It feels good to be in control of my body, that I can create something beautiful with my body that is not just sexual, for instance. And if the theme IS sexual then it's empowering to feel sexy AND in control. To have the option and ability to portray sexiness, beauty, eroticism, and/or simply the form of the human body is a wonderful gift!

Nov 15 16 01:47 pm Link

Model

Lisa Everhart

Sebring, Florida, US

Crystal Wings wrote:

Our reasons are the same. In my wordy perspective, I pose nude because, given that the shoot is respectful and comfortable, it's a liberating experience for me. It feels good to be in control of my body, that I can create something beautiful with my body that is not just sexual, for instance. And if the theme IS sexual then it's empowering to feel sexy AND in control. To have the option and ability to portray sexiness, beauty, eroticism, and/or simply the form of the human body is a wonderful gift!

+1

Most definitely.

Nov 16 16 01:46 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Crystal Wings wrote:

I recently worked with a model who had this attitude and took some fabulous images.

Nov 16 16 01:53 am Link

Photographer

Thomas Andreas

Kiev, Kiev, Ukraine

From the photographers side:

Ι was just a guy with a camera, curious about shooting nudes as to how I'd feel about it. From the first peak in the viewfinder, good photography revealed and at that moment it became the only priority. I like working with models that can be result driven. For myself, discovering something above sex on a beautiful nude woman was like a revelation that the majority of my circle could not understand and so I still receive many funny comments.

For the photographer side, feelings are similar to the model's. There is society critisism for photographers that choose to do nudes, male comments mostly. Male population in the majority cannot distinguish the difference. If confronted, they may admit they don't understand, or that there is another point of view, but that won't save the public opinion that usually shapes on the first upfront "funny" comment they will make. Also, there is extra responsibility doing it, responsibility towards the model. It has felt like a burden in the past to have nude pictures of other people in my hard drives and when it came to that I had to delete material. That's why I would not suggest TFP nudes or even if they happen they do not get published. When I need a nude model, I search for it through the proper channels, model mayhem is the best to do so, arrange it as a work deal and go through with it.

Nov 16 16 05:45 am Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

J Andrescavage Photo wrote:
I've turned down shooting quite a few people for nude projects because they want to do it but the restrictions on where the work can be shown/who can see it were just too broad for me to get any use of the shots.  I'm not going to just shoot someone and then never let the photo see the light of day.

On the other hand, I'm totally OK with this.

Most of my work already never sees the light of day--it's too voluminous for starters.
Some models consider it scary and asked me to hide it in--hence I have a password-protected album...and I don't think I've ever given out the password! No peeking!

Now that my immediate photographic goals have been accomplished, I'm shooting for the ages--in other words, I'm capturing images with the intention digital archivists and anthropologist of future generations and centuries will dig through our digital detritus and reconstruct their view of our civilization today.  What will they find? Lots of trash. But I want to portray us as tasteful yet tantalizing! LOL. I know, I'm just one tiny voice and view point--but I want to make my small contribution with my twist and flair!

It is also why I'm willing to share the entire shoot with the model--higher odds that it'll survive into the future.

I also know that files get sealed, their release embargoed until years later! They can be very revealing. For example, Mimi Alford, got outed by JFK historian. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mimi_Alford

It would have been nice to have more photos of her back then, even if they were embargoed indefinitely, now we have the option of unsealing them and releasing them. If they were never captured--we sadly don't have that option :-(.

So for those who have the concerns for social desirability (family, job, church, etc.), impression management, I offer to do a shoot that preserves for posterity how they appear now. They can keep the card and never release it or release as they feel comfortable disclosing. [I fully recognize that this is counter cultural but I freely admit that I'm not normal. I also let the model know that this is NOT what they should expect from others at all. With a journalistic background, to document events/history, I have different goals so I have a different m.o.]

Just as I never pressure a model to show more than she wants in a shoot, I never pressure him/her/them to share more broadly than they desire.

Nov 16 16 05:58 am Link

Photographer

ParagonImages

FFantastique wrote:

On the other hand, I'm totally OK with this.

Most of my work already never sees the light of day--it's too voluminous for starters.
Some models consider it scary and asked me to hide it in--hence I have a password-protected album...and I don't think I've ever given out the password! No peeking!

Now that my immediate photographic goals have been accomplished, I'm shooting for the ages--in other words, I'm capturing images with the intention digital archivists and anthropologist of future generations and centuries will dig through our digital detritus and reconstruct their view of our civilization today.  What will they find? Lots of trash. But I want to portray us as tasteful yet tantalizing! LOL. I know, I'm just one tiny voice and view point--but I want to make my small contribution with my twist and flair!

It is also why I'm willing to share the entire shoot with the model--higher odds that it'll survive into the future.

I also know that files get sealed, their release embargoed until years later! They can be very revealing. For example, Mimi Alford, got outed by JFK historian. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mimi_Alford

It would have been nice to have more photos of her back then, even if they were embargoed indefinitely, now we have the option of unsealing them and releasing them. If they were never captured--we sadly don't have that option :-(.

So for those who have the concerns for social desirability (family, job, church, etc.), impression management, I offer to do a shoot that preserves for posterity how they appear now. They can keep the card and never release it or release as they feel comfortable disclosing. [I fully recognize that this is counter cultural but I freely admit that I'm not normal. I also let the model know that this is NOT what they should expect from others at all. With a journalistic background, to document events/history, I have different goals so I have a different m.o.]

Just as I never pressure a model to show more than she wants in a shoot, I never pressure him/her/them to share more broadly than they desire.

Wow that is an amazing point of view. I had never thought about it in those terms but that is really interesting... I could see myself being happy doing something similar to that; helping a model preserve for later something that no one else, even I, will have access to unless they decide to allow it. Usually I photograph in order to try and give the world a small gift of my own artistic efforts but I can definitely see the appeal of doing it solely to help the other person preserve memories for the future.

Nov 16 16 12:27 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Two Pears Studio

Wilmington, Delaware, US

of the many many people who have posed for me... the greats seem to have it inscribed in their DNA... it is like a calling. I never ask the model that question as it seems like it would be to personal while they pose... but I would love to know...

so I will watch and learn.

Nov 16 16 12:59 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Two Pears Studio

Wilmington, Delaware, US

FFantastique wrote:
I'm shooting for the ages--

Many non models who pose for me, this is what they are after... one once said to me that they wanted a painting of them, so one day when it was up on a museum wall... they could hear their grandchildren say... granny was hot!

or even better to see the pride in their faces when they go to the opening night of a show and see people eyeing the painting of them... my last show the woman who posed got interviewed... she was beaming...

Nov 16 16 01:04 pm Link

Model

Lisa Everhart

Sebring, Florida, US

ParagonImages wrote:

Wow that is an amazing point of view. I had never thought about it in those terms but that is really interesting... I could see myself being happy doing something similar to that; helping a model preserve for later something that no one else, even I, will have access to unless they decide to allow it. Usually I photograph in order to try and give the world a small gift of my own artistic efforts but I can definitely see the appeal of doing it solely to help the other person preserve memories for the future.

I always save a gem or two so when I am a Grandma I can look back and say, "Yeah, I used to look like that!"

Nov 18 16 04:16 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Lisa Everhart wrote:

I always save a gem or two so when I am a Grandma I can look back and say, "Yeah, I used to look like that!"

I have a print of a nude that was taken about 1900.

Nov 18 16 04:43 am Link

Photographer

dcsmooth

Detroit, Michigan, US

All through the years I have had many models ask to do some nudes just for themselves while we were shooting other genres, with no intention of ever making them public. They don't do nudes as a model, but wanted the experience of posing in the nude and having the photos to keep.

I have also done a significant amount of work with non-models who wanted to do artistic, figurative, and even erotic nudes as a memento of how they look at a given age or time in life. Every one of the expectant mothers I have photographed has asked to do nudes, which are usually intended just for themselves, in addition to doing standard maternity poses. One that I started out with when she was 30 has come back every 5 years since then to update her photos. She will be 75 next year and we have already discussed ideas for the next documentation of her looks.

These non-models will often commission a drawing or painting of one of their favorite nude poses with the intent of displaying it in their home, usually in the bedroom. Others just want an album of prints showing what they have done. I'm sure some of them are sharing it with friends and family because I have even been called by women saying they saw the nude photos I had done for their friend or relative and thought it was time to do the same.

People want to feel good about themselves whether they are models or everyday people. I think that's why many of them make the decision to model nude. They also say it is a fun and invigorating experience.

I also have over 50 years experience as a nude model, I started out many years ago while I was still in high school posing for artists and art classes. I still model from time to time, and have always done it because I appreciate the art.

Nov 18 16 06:09 am Link

Model

Lisa Everhart

Sebring, Florida, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

I have a print of a nude that was taken about 1900.

Very cool.

Nov 18 16 08:57 pm Link

Photographer

Cali Life Productions

Beverly, Massachusetts, US

Koryn wrote:

No you do not!  You are a lovely, beautiful soul inside and out, always! smile

Dec 05 16 12:45 pm Link

Photographer

P R E S T O N

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

Cali Life Productions wrote:
No you do not!  You are a lovely, beautiful soul inside and out, always! smile

Well, it's an undeniable fact that some models DO look crap as soon as they put clothes on. Heck, some models even make a point of not bringing clothes to a shoot so they have a legitimate excuse should some errant photographer take it upon himself to suggest something profoundly silly!

Dec 05 16 01:58 pm Link

Photographer

Michael DBA Expressions

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

Koryn wrote:

I'll grant you should be allowed, no, encouraged, to go starkers at all times, and I'll even allow that you couldn't possibly look better clothed than nude, but I must insist that you'd look MUCH better than crap no matter what rags you were wearing.

Dec 05 16 01:58 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'm too short to wear cool things, my tits aren't big enough and my skins not tan enough for bikini/lingerie glam, and there wasn't any money in short boring clothed portraits.

Dec 05 16 09:22 pm Link

Model

Mina Salome

Los Angeles, California, US

Personally, I made the choice to model nude because I wanted to push the edges of the kind of art that I could make as a model.  I grew up surrounded by fine art, and as a teenager, figure drawing was one of my favorite forms of expression.  Sometimes I would draw my fashion ideas, and sometimes I would draw nudes.  As an adult, I feel very privileged to be able to create these images by posing, rather than just by drawing (and support myself by doing it).  I live in a very body-positive and nudity-positive area, so I had already grown very comfortable with my nude body when I started to model nude.  It was a big decision, and I don't think it's one anyone should enter into lightly, but I'm happy with my choice!

Dec 05 16 10:20 pm Link

Model

Marc Freak

Weymouth, England, United Kingdom

There is a beautiful vulnerability about naked pictures, which is what appeals to me about it.  That and the fact that I always seem to look so clumsy in clothes!!  So birthday suit it is!! smile

Dec 24 16 12:05 am Link

Model

Vintage Guy

New York, New York, US

Besides creativity, self-expression, adventure, and getting over a taboo, I had another reason to begin. I had a major health crisis that led to a change in my feeling about my body. My appearance wasn't changed, but my sense of the flesh I live in - well, that's different. I wanted to see if it could be appreciated aesthetically.

Dec 24 16 07:10 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

one of my paying boudoir customers said that doing a boudoir shot was a bucket list item for her. and also something racy that she could giggle about with her friends. sometimes i wonder what their husbands think when they see the pictures (often done as a gift). are they thinking "you look hot!" or "i'm going to punch that photographer!" or "i wish you had gotten me something for my truck instead"

Dec 24 16 07:13 am Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

ontherocks wrote:
one of my paying boudoir customers said that doing a boudoir shot was a bucket list item for her. and also something racy that she could giggle about with her friends. sometimes i wonder what their husbands think when they see the pictures (often done as a gift). are they thinking "you look hot!" or "i'm going to punch that photographer!" or "i wish you had gotten me something for my truck instead"

Even if I hadn't ever done any modelling, I think that I would definitely want to do a bucket list photo shoot or two at my age, just for the experience of knowing how it felt to be naked in front of a camera and having the pictures to keep. I would have no problems sharing the pictures with my friends.

Dec 24 16 08:08 am Link