Forums > Model Colloquy > Nose rings

Photographer

Howard Tarragon

New York, New York, US

I know that some models say in their bios that facial/body jewelry is removable, but many do not. Is it ok to ask? For some it's a personal statem3ent. I don't want to offend. Secondly, I know that I have the right to, but, what about removing it in post processing?

Model thoughts?

Dec 16 16 05:47 pm Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

My thinking is that you shouldn't edit it out without the permission of the model. Some people are quite sensitive about such things. Many models are likely not to care, but you should always make sure they are OK with it.

Just like anything else, requesting a model to remove such jewellery before shooting is something you should discuss before booking the model. It should definitely be open to negotiation if you need a model who doesn't have that jewellery showing for your photos.

Dec 16 16 08:23 pm Link

Model

Rylan Sper

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada

I would prefer to leave my nose ring in for a shoot (because it's difficult to put back in), but if a photographer is paying me and would prefer I take it out then I have no problem doing that (same with earrings and such) as long as they let me know that's what is preferred ahead of time.

The issue arises when one can't take out a piercing for an extended period of time (they may grow in, etc). It is different for every person so it is important to let the model know if you'd prefer them take anything out. Some rings require tools to get out/put back in, so please don't assume they will be willing to if needed when you get to the shoot.

Dec 16 16 08:50 pm Link

Photographer

sweet gamine

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

For facial/body jewelry, I have sometimes done two edits - one with and one without, especially if retouching it out will better suit my needs. The model can have both versions if she wants.
I have never asked for their removal as retouching it out is usually easy enough and removal may not be practical for the model.
One model I worked with decided to hide her septum ring mid-shoot as she wanted some images without it visible.
As for other jewelry such as necklaces and earrings (not plugs), I would ask that they be removed for the shoot, unless they happened to work well with the theme and the wardrobe I provided etc.

Dec 16 16 08:55 pm Link

Photographer

Pictures of Life

Spokane, Washington, US

Jewelry is no different than hair or wardrobe, it's the photographer's call, negotiate from there. Yes you can edit it out, but that doesn't mean that you should.  If you want it gone then shoot without it.  Editing in shadowy areas is always trickier; with the shadow under the nose, and nostrils if the angle shows them, getting a perfect edit isn't easy.  Shoot what you want, don't edit to get what you want.  I am DONE shooting/editing nose rings.
If the model said she wanted to leave a big pink bow in her hair because it defines who she is, would you say fine, I'll spend my time editing out the bow?

Dec 16 16 10:01 pm Link

Model

Sabryna S

Doylestown, Pennsylvania, US

If a photographer doesn't prefer my nose jewelry, I would much prefer they say something ahead of time, or let me know that they will probably edit it out. Although I've yet to wear it, I do have a clear retainer I could put in place of my nose stud.
I've had a couple photographers attempt to edit out my nose stud, and it just ends up looking like I had a gash or popped zit on my nose instead, which looks worse than just a simple tiny stud.  A lot of the time though, you can barely see my piercing if at all.
I only wore an actual nose RING once, I didn't end up liking how it looked in photos lol, but to be fair the actual placement of where my nostril is pierced is weird, so I have to get a special custom made ring at some point if I wanted to wear one again, since it ended up falling out anyway.
Point is, it doesn't hurt to ask, and if it's a deal breaker...there are plenty of models without any piercings. I imagine most can/would be able to wear a clear retainer though for most piercings. All I have is my stretched ears, my nostril piercing, and a random cartilage piercing, so maybe I am missing something for when it comes to editing/taking out other facial piercings.

Dec 17 16 06:47 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

A model that I photographed had no problem removing her nose ring for a shoot.

Dec 17 16 07:06 am Link

Photographer

Carle Photo

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

Models are individual people, so each model you interact with will have an individual opinion about their jewelry.

It is always ok to ask about these things.

It is also ok to cast for what you want in a project, if you need models with NO jewelry, then cast for that.

"Model needed, must have clean look NO VISIBLE JEWELRY, NO gauges!"

Going forward, IF you find a model that fits all OTHER requirments you have, & she STILL has jewelry, then ask HER, about photoshopping them out.

In my experience most modeling jobs are about the photographers/artists vision, they don't give a shit about my personal style, so I expect to be asked to change my jewelry, however IF the project states it is to be a reflection of the MODELS individual style/soul/look/expression.... Then asking them to change is taking away from that.

Nothing more annoying than a casting call that is all about "the model" then you arrive on set & to learn that the casting was misrepresented & you're expected to change out everything that you regularly wear/do.
http://carlephotography.com/figure-model/

Dec 17 16 08:09 am Link