Forums > Model Colloquy > Piercings On A Model

Model

Mindy

Chandler, Arizona, US

Ok, so a couple of months ago, I decided to get my belly button re-pierced. I also have two holes in my ears. Will that hurt my chances of getting paid work? Do you think I should let the second hole in my ear close? What about my navel ring?

I know there are other models out there that do have tons of piercings on their ears, and other places as well. If it's not shown in a picture, or in the models' face, does it matter to the client?

Yes there are alternative models and such. I'm not really into that scene that much. I do like the high-fashion modeling. That's awesome.

Let me know what everyone thinks about this.. Will it hurt you or will it work with you?

Aug 30 05 09:28 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

I doubt it'll have any affect at all.  Unless you refuse to remove the dangling items if/when requested.

Aug 30 05 09:29 am Link

Model

LORA

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Well just like tattoos, the holes have to be photoshopped out if they are in the way. I would avoid getting too many. I have a dip in my nose from an old piercing and it shows up in almost every picture.

Aug 30 05 09:30 am Link

Model

Mindy

Chandler, Arizona, US

Oh that's good, because a teacher at John Cassablancas Modeling School in Scottsdale, AZ told me that a lot of clients absolutely hate piercings unless about the ears.

Aug 30 05 09:31 am Link

Model

Mindy

Chandler, Arizona, US

Lora wrote:
Well just like tattoos, the holes have to be photoshopped out if they are in the way. I would avoid getting too many. I have a dip in my nose from an old piercing and it shows up in almost every picture.

I was looking through your pictures, was the old scar photoshopped out?

Aug 30 05 09:33 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

I advise ignoring anything you learned at John Casablancas.

A second piercing in your earlobes is unlikely to be noticable in most shots unless it's a close-up of your ear (unless the hole has been stretched to a large gauge).

Naval piercings are removable and the hole isn't necessarily going to be noticable. It depends on how the percing was done and how your skin heal.

Aug 30 05 09:37 am Link

Model

LORA

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Mindy wrote:
I was looking through your pictures, was the old scar photoshopped out?

Yes it was and it wasn't easy. Theda is right about holes not showing but I wanted to point out my nose piercing because that hole never healed correctly. I almost should just get it pierced again.

Aug 30 05 09:40 am Link

Model

pamela mars

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Lora wrote:

Yes it was and it wasn't easy. Theda is right about holes not showing but I wanted to point out my nose peircing because that hole never healed correctly. I almost should just get it pierced again.

i had a navel peircing and it was pretty muched ripped out accidently-i have a scar-but it hasn't hurt me.  i also suffered a deep depression after losing two family members to cancer and suicide when i was 13-so i turned to self mutilation.  nothing to the degree of some others-but the scars are on my arms.  if i'm asked i explain them honestly-those haven't hurt me either-even with the runway and promo stuff i do.

Aug 30 05 09:46 am Link

Model

Mindy

Chandler, Arizona, US

theda wrote:

Naval piercings are removable and the hole isn't necessarily going to be noticable. It depends on how the percing was done and how your skin heal.

I actually learned a lot from that school.. I didn't know how to walk the runway, now I do... and I've learned  a bunch of terms as well.

My ear holes are normal, and the last time I took out my naval piercing (the first time I had it done last year), it closed in 2 days.

Aug 30 05 09:47 am Link

Model

pamela mars

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Mindy wrote:

I actually learned a lot from that school.. I didn't know how to walk the runway, now I do... and I've learned  a bunch of terms as well.

My ear holes are normal, and the last time I took out my naval piercing (the first time I had it done last year), it closed in 2 days.

i don't think models should have to go to school to learn any of those things.  it's unnecessary.
i learned everything as i've gone along.
a lot of the designers say they don't want over practiced runway walks.  the best explanation i've heard one give is-"i want the girls to walk as if they're on the way to the subway"
keep shoulders square and back-walk with your hips-best way to train your self is to walk toe first.

Aug 30 05 09:52 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Preferred styles of runway walks change periodically just like everything else in fashion.  Walking isn't a terribly complicated skill, but it has to be re-learned every so often anyway.

Aug 30 05 09:54 am Link

Photographer

Undergroud Studio

Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico

Mindy wrote:
Oh that's good, because a teacher at John Cassablancas Modeling School in Scottsdale, AZ told me that a lot of clients absolutely hate piercings unless about the ears.

I do hate piercings unless about the ears. But I also hate tattoos, so don't bother. The way I see it women don't know the crime they are doing by piercing or tattooing the most beautiful and perfect thing on earth: women wonderful skin. You will never make it better, it is perfect and beautiful already.

Aug 30 05 09:59 am Link

Photographer

Mike MacLellan

San Diego, California, US

Touching, really, however, I'd have to disagree completely.  I'd love to shoot a tatted model.

Aug 30 05 10:53 am Link

Model

angelavasquez

Murrieta, California, US

A navel piercing is not a big deal, you can always remove it, if required to do so for a shoot as well as your ear piercings...big_smile

Ciao
Angela
xoxoxoxoxoxo

Aug 30 05 07:15 pm Link

Photographer

BrooklynPhoto

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Piercings and tatoos are hot.

Aug 30 05 08:56 pm Link

Photographer

creativist

Lowell, Massachusetts, US

Initially, I wasn't keen on piercings and tats. Now I love them - provided it's good quality and fits with the model's look. I try to capitalize on it when I am shooting.

Aug 30 05 09:22 pm Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

I think tats are more a problem than piercings.  If the jewelry is removed, pierce holes are beyond easy to repair in PS.  Tats are easy to blend-and-cover, too ... but it's a pain in the butt (sometimes literally).

I think a lot of tats are obnoxious.  I see quite a few beautiful women with bad tats and I always ask myself, "Why would a beautiful woman make the choice to cover herself with bad tattoos?"

Aug 30 05 09:32 pm Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

William Kious wrote:
I think a lot of tats are obnoxious.  I see quite a few beautiful women with bad tats and I always ask myself, "Why would a beautiful woman make the choice to cover herself with bad tattoos?"

Key word here "bad".
Personally I'd rather see a woman covered in well choosen, beautifully done work than small scattered pieces.

Aug 30 05 10:02 pm Link

Model

Hel Inferna

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

OMG WHAT HAVE I DONE?!?!

Aug 30 05 10:07 pm Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

I could have taught you the runway walk as I have a few other models in the past... and all it would have cost you is a few photosessions with me...

Mindy wrote:
[I actually learned a lot from that school.. I didn't know how to walk the runway, now I do... and I've learned  a bunch of terms as well.

Aug 30 05 10:16 pm Link

Photographer

Merlinpix

Farmingdale, New York, US

Piercings and tats work for a lot of the stuff I shoot.

Paul

Aug 31 05 12:11 am Link

Model

Tathena

Evansville, Indiana, US

I think piercings look sexy if not overdone....

Aug 31 05 02:00 am Link

Photographer

hollywoodcolor

Simi Valley, California, US

I think Piercings are cool.

Aug 31 05 02:10 am Link

Model

Jen-E

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I'm a piercing artist and have had 23 piercings at one time. I currently only wear two. My piercings haven't effected my work at all unless you count it getting me paid assignments. I've always had no problem removing my body jewelry for shoots. I can always replace the jewelry after the shoot if I want to. The photographers have never given a problem with my piercings since they are so removable.

Even tattoos aren't a problem anymore since photoshop, and I've always been willing to allow the photographer to edit out what he wants to.....it's his/her project.

As long as you're willing to work with the client to give them the shots they want then I see no problem.

Aug 31 05 02:12 am Link

Model

Reina

BRONX, New York, US

Well photographers always look for different things so the piercings may be a good thing or a bad thing, I doubt your piercings are bad because like they said, the marks can be photoshoped out, so I really wouldn't worry about it.

Aug 31 05 01:20 pm Link

Photographer

Black T Photo

Kenosha, Wisconsin, US

Anyone who would readily photoshop out a zit or stray hair but complains about a piercing probably isn't someone you want to work with anyway.

What's important is that the jewerly compliments you and your physique or face shape. Remember, there are parts of the world where bad accessorizing is punishable by death.

- Oz

Aug 31 05 08:39 pm Link

Model

Vivid Vivka

Los Angeles, California, US

Hel Inferna wrote:
OMG WHAT HAVE I DONE?!?!

I know dude, you and I are so fucked.
Hell .. Im gonna go get more fucked out of work by more tats next week. >smile mwahahahaha ...

Sep 02 05 10:47 pm Link

Photographer

David Scherer

I think the bottom line is what kind of job a person is offered. If it's art, most likely having piercings won't bother anyone a bit.

If it's a commercial job where time is money and the idea is to get things wrapped up real quick, chances are they might not invest in the time to Photoshop.

Sep 03 05 04:04 am Link

Model

Jax

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Mindy wrote:

They are rip offs, run, run away from JC. 

You can very easily take out a navel piercing or ear piercing when the time calls for it. And if your holes show up in the photos, shoot your piercer.

Sep 16 05 06:53 am Link

Model

Adrienne Aurora

Atlanta, Georgia, US

theda wrote:

A second piercing in your earlobes is unlikely to be noticable in most shots unless it's a close-up of your ear (unless the hole has been stretched to a large gauge).

I had my belly button pierced when I was 15, I took it out a long time ago but I still have a scar. Now the only piercings I have are ears and tongue and photogs seem to like to get my tongue ring in pics.

Sep 16 05 02:59 pm Link

Photographer

Vegas Alien

Armington, Illinois, US

theda wrote:
Preferred styles of runway walks change periodically just like everything else in fashion.  Walking isn't a terribly complicated skill, but it has to be re-learned every so often anyway.

But doesn't Casablancas teach models the valuable, "Walk and chew gum"?

Sep 16 05 03:06 pm Link

Model

Mindy

Chandler, Arizona, US

Jim Warren wrote:

But doesn't Casablancas teach models the valuable, "Walk and chew gum"?

There were girls in my class that liked to chew gum. It annoyed me. The last day was OK... but.. it looked really retarded on the rehersal show lol..

I swallowed my gum that day. The only reason why I had gum was cuz I was nervous as hell..

Oh, and I took out my belly ring.. Now theres's yet again, another scar. I have two scars.. cuz I got it done twice.

Sep 16 05 08:40 pm Link

Model

baby_saidie

Rosthern, Saskatchewan, Canada

Personally I don't think it will. I have 6 piercings right now and the photgrapher  I am working with right now doesn't seem to mind though I am an alternative model.

I think if thenavel piercing is decent, the you shouldn't have a problem.

Sep 16 05 08:45 pm Link

Model

SHAWN ANTONIA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

i have like 6 in my ears, just as long as you take them out during the shoot i think you'll be ok

now the belly button i don't know about cause i'm to chicken shit to get that smile

Nov 05 05 10:13 pm Link

Photographer

Moraxian

Germantown, Maryland, US

It used to be that the navel piercing was rare, but it has become almost as common as ear piercing that it's not regarded as unusal anymore (just like men wearing earrings is not as unusual as it used to be).  The nose piercing is also becoming more and more common (both my wife and step-daughter have theirs pierced...)

Nov 05 05 11:15 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

It seems to me that most models have either a belly-button piercing or a tattoo and usually both.

But I just stumbled across a port where the model had a circle of scars around her breasts.  These were intentionally put there, not some accident.  Boy I'll bet that hurt.

Paul

Nov 05 05 11:20 pm Link

Model

Phoenix E

i have a lot of heavy body modification.......it doesn't really interfere with print fashion work--nothing shows when i'm fairly dressed...........and it makes my body its own art if i'm not.....

Nov 05 05 11:23 pm Link

Model

Stormy1

Lombard, Illinois, US

Mindy wrote:
Ok, so a couple of months ago, I decided to get my belly button re-pierced. I also have two holes in my ears. Will that hurt my chances of getting paid work? Do you think I should let the second hole in my ear close? What about my navel ring?

I know there are other models out there that do have tons of piercings on their ears, and other places as well. If it's not shown in a picture, or in the models' face, does it matter to the client?

Yes there are alternative models and such. I'm not really into that scene that much. I do like the high-fashion modeling. That's awesome.

Let me know what everyone thinks about this.. Will it hurt you or will it work with you?

Check out my pics.. I have a lip ring..? I dunno if its so much a good or bad thing.. but i dont think it looks bad in my pics...?????

Nov 07 05 01:42 am Link

Model

Bitter Sweet

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I had my lip pierced on the side annnd a nose ring but took it out last month.
Sad sad i must say but was requested to be done by a photographer.
SCARS SUCK. But oh well. My fault for doing it.

Nov 07 05 03:58 am Link

Model

Cyber_Angel

Harrogate, Tennessee, US

i have 17 piercings, facial, ears, lip, belly and nose. if a few ear piercings is what you have, then so be it. photographers will accept this for who you are...simple as. and if they don't, then hmmm...maybe you should consider working with someone else. take care. big_smile

Nov 07 05 04:30 am Link