Forums > General Industry > 2 billion $ lawsuit because no model release

Model

Caitin Bre

Apache Junction, Arizona, US

http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/2017/ … rials.html

Steve Adams a photographer took a photo of Leah Caldwell eating a meal at Chipotle. Then he asked Leah Caldwell for a release as she was leaving the restaurant she refused. She seen her likeness being used by Chipotle who edited in some alcohol beverages for promotion and decided to sue.
Evidently Steve Adams decided to sell the photos to Chipotle without a release.
I will be interested in seeing how this turns out.

Jan 06 17 02:33 pm Link

Photographer

portraiturebyBrent

Round Rock, Texas, US

It doesn't help that in the comments section of the story there's this post:

"I am a retired professional photographer. The issue here is "copyright" laws. The woman owns the copyright because the photographer never got a signed release from her."

Damn good thing a professional photographer chimed to set everybody straight on copyright laws. sad

Jan 06 17 02:50 pm Link

Photographer

PhotographybyT

Monterey, California, US

portraiturebyBrent wrote:

"I am a retired professional photographer. The issue here is "copyright" laws. The woman owns the copyright because the photographer never got a signed release from her."

Damn good thing a professional photographer chimed to set everybody straight on copyright laws. sad

LOL...yeah I saw that too.

Jan 06 17 02:57 pm Link

Photographer

Iktan

New York, New York, US

Im sure he's a regular on MM.

Jan 06 17 03:19 pm Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

London, England, United Kingdom

Better call Saul!

Jan 06 17 04:30 pm Link

Photographer

Eagle Rock Photographer

Los Angeles, California, US

Morons aplenty, it seems.

- The retired pro is a moron;
- The photographer is an unethical moron;
- Chipotle is/are unethical morons

Jan 06 17 04:37 pm Link

Photographer

Eagle Rock Photographer

Jan 06 17 04:37 pm Link

Photographer

Eagle Rock Photographer

The viewer comments are even dumber than the perps. Is everyone too lazy to actually look at the law? (Primarily CA Civil Code 3344). Might also be libel depending on some details.

Jan 06 17 04:43 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Big hassle for Steve Adams.
Big hassle for Leah Caldwell.
Big hassle for Chipotle.
Ridicule for "professional photographer".
Fox News gets another sensational story.
Lawyers get paid a lot of money.  That's the important thing.
Doesn't say how she came up with the $2,000,000,000.00 figure.  That'll make an impression on the judge.

And this whole mess could easily have been avoided.

Jan 06 17 04:46 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Eagle Rock Photographer wrote:

50% of all the people are below average.

Jan 06 17 05:06 pm Link

Photographer

REMOVED

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Reading comprehension  continues to be a major factor in the forum discussions.

Jan 06 17 05:09 pm Link

Photographer

Michael DBA Expressions

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

Fotopia wrote:
Reading comprehension  continues to be a major factor in the forum discussions.

Least of all, this discussion.

BTW, I did NOT read the above article, but I did read AN article on the matter that says her lawyer came up with the amount of the suit as his/her estimate of the total profits of the Restaurant chain for the period in question, and that the suit requests additional sums for profits between suit filing and resolution. Now I don't know that Colorado law supports damages to that extent, but the total sum is guaranteed to get just about anybody's attention, isn't it?

Jan 06 17 05:17 pm Link

Photographer

East West

Michael DBA Expressions wrote:

Least of all, this discussion.

BTW, I did NOT read the above article, but I did read AN article on the matter that says her lawyer came up with the amount of the suit as his/her estimate of the total profits of the Restaurant chain for the period in question, and that the suit requests additional sums for profits between suit filing and resolution. Now I don't know that Colorado law supports damages to that extent, but the total sum is guaranteed to get just about anybody's attention, isn't it?

That must have been one of hell of a photo/model...

Jan 06 17 05:33 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

Yeah, it's not a 2 billion ruling. She can ask for whatever the heck she wants - the system has to treat the case he same way.

If anything, asking such an obscene amount will only serve to make a judge/jury think she's crazy before it even starts. I assume Chipotle is worth almost exactly 2 billion, and that's why she's asking that?

Jan 06 17 05:38 pm Link

Photographer

JQuest

Syracuse, New York, US

Not quite sure why the photographer is being sued here. Can someone who actually knows explain why that would be? My understanding is that as the copyright holder of the image he can sell it if he wishes, and it would be up to the end user to then ensure that they had the correct usage rights for whatever purpose they wished to use it.

If the photographer misrepresented to Chipotle the usage rights when he sold it then it would seem Chipotle would have a suit against him, however that information isn't available in the article. So I fail to see how him taking a picture in a restaurant of a patron would make him culpable for that image that Chipotle obtained and then used commercially.

Jan 06 17 05:53 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

JQuest wrote:
Not quite sure why the photographer is being sued here. Can someone who actually knows explain why that would be? My understanding is that as the copyright holder of the image he can sell it if he wishes, and it would be up to the end user to then ensure that they had the correct usage rights for whatever purpose they wished to use it.

If the photographer misrepresented to Chipotle the usage rights when he sold it then it would seem Chipotle would have a suit against him, however that information isn't available in the article. So I fail to see how him taking a picture in a restaurant of a patron would make him culpable for that image that Chipotle obtained and then used commercially.

My legal knowledge is just above zero ... But I think that if she sued Chipotle, she can name him as a co-defendant.

I agree that even if he took the photo while she was in the bathroom, I still don't see how she could sue him directly - it seems all civil issues are with Chipotle.

But again ... Just above zero.

Jan 06 17 06:59 pm Link

Photographer

Eagle Rock Photographer

Zack Zoll wrote:
Yeah, it's not a 2 billion ruling. She can ask for whatever the heck she wants - the system has to treat the case he same way.

If anything, asking such an obscene amount will only serve to make a judge/jury think she's crazy before it even starts. I assume Chipotle is worth almost exactly 2 billion, and that's why she's asking that?

There are several reasons for asking huge amounts and several apply here.

Jan 06 17 07:04 pm Link

Photographer

Eagle Rock Photographer

It is expected that the shooter would be sued. Shooter and Chipotle will likely blame each other.

Anyone have a link to the actual lawsuit Complaint? The articles aren't even clear about where the suit was filed; I would have expected either CA or NY; the image was misused nationwide.

Here's a link to intelligent discussion of CO right of publicity law:

http://www.rightofpublicityroadmap.com/law/colorado

Jan 06 17 07:12 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

It is expected that the shooter would be sued. Shooter and Chipotle will likely blame each other.

Depending on a hold harmless and indemnity clause of course, as well as any warrantee he offered them. That won't directly protect Chipotle but it could and would give them a cause of action against the snapper. Chances are, however, that, figuratively speaking, he doesn't have two dimes to rub together, so that makes the company the deep pockets defendant here.

The interesting feature of this is one that I have mentioned in discussions before on street shooting, to which this has some similarity. The photographer, as reported in this instance, actually asked for a release and was refused. That puts him in a different position vis a vis liability than if he had not asked at all.

I am still somewhat in the dark, as we all are, as to if the woman can establish any commercial value in her image in the first place much less justifying the amount she is asking for. The reason for the specific claim to do with the alcohol is also a curious one to be mentioned so prominently. it would be interesting to have a bit more insight into that.

Studio36

EDIT: As to the amount of the claim, this point was mentioned in a couple of on-line reports of this case, and is a probably correct assessment of what seems to be going on here: "Apparently Caldwell believes that a single picture of her is 100% responsible for all of the success of the restaurant." In a case such as this, even if she is successful, no court would entertain the amount she is asking for if it is the full profits figure for the period of time they used her image. The normal formula that is applied is that she would be entitled to something but that something would be limited by, and related only to, the amount of profit that she could prove was directly attributable to the use of her image. It is frankly going to be quite impossible to prove the 2.2Bn claimed amount in full.

EDIT 2: After giving this some thought I am also interested to know the context in which the image was used. Though the claim is that the use was "commercial use" the more pertinent and direct question might be was it in fact, and in reality, and importantly in law, a "commercial use"?. What other images, if any, were used alongside or with it? Was there any text associated with the usage, or endorsement attributed to the person(s) pictured? Was the use on a product, only on the web, in print, or just some or all of these ways, and in what context? And there are a number of other questions that come to mind as well. I see no obvious privacy implications in this but aside from the commercial appropriation claim, yet to be proven, was there something else in play such as an accusation of defamation or the revelation of private facts involved. In short this has a long long way to go yet.

Jan 06 17 07:41 pm Link

Photographer

NewBoldPhoto

PORT MURRAY, New Jersey, US

studio36uk wrote:
It is frankly going to be quite impossible to prove the 2.2Bn claimed amount in full.

True but they are going to offer to settle for less than the amount in the suit so aiming high gives her attorney a better pay check in the end.

Jan 06 17 08:37 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

studio36uk wrote:
It is frankly going to be quite impossible to prove the 2.2Bn claimed amount in full.

NewBoldPhoto wrote:
True but they are going to offer to settle for less than the amount in the suit so aiming high gives her attorney a better pay check in the end.

Typically this will settle somewhere in 6 figures I would guess.

Studio36

Jan 06 17 08:40 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

There is no mention of this in the article, a conjectured reason for the added alcohol to be offensive, would be the possibility that she belongs to a religious organization that abstains from the use of alcoholic beverages.  Thus the photo connects her to alcohol.

Jan 07 17 05:45 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
There is no mention of this in the article, a conjectured reason for the added alcohol to be offensive, would be the possibility that she belongs to a religious organization that abstains from the use of alcoholic beverages.  Thus the photo connects her to alcohol.

One possibility, yes. That did spring to mind. It would be interesting to know the background to it. Whether it's that or something else. She could, for instance, possibly, also be someone with past issues with alcohol where such an image diminishes her or her reputation in the eyes of those who know her and of her history.

There are a number of possibilities here, I think.

Studio36

Jan 07 17 07:22 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

studio36uk wrote:
EDIT: As to the amount of the claim, this point was mentioned in a couple of on-line reports of this case, and is a probably correct assessment of what seems to be going on here: "Apparently Caldwell believes that a single picture of her is 100% responsible for all of the success of the restaurant." In a case such as this, even if she is successful, no court would entertain the amount she is asking for if it is the full profits figure for the period of time they used her image. The normal formula that is applied is that she would be entitled to something but that something would be limited by, and related only to, the amount of profit that she could prove was directly attributable to the use of her image. It is frankly going to be quite impossible to prove the 2.2Bn claimed amount in full.

I would like to believe (and kinda hope) that an experienced judge will see that $2B figure and would assume that the woman is just trying to get an outrageous payday.  I would think that many frivolous lawsuits start in a similar manner (I'm not saying that this particular case is frivolous -- the woman has some legitimate concerns).

Again, there's some critical information we are lacking:  did the photographer tell Chipotle that there was a model release?  Did the restaurant ask for one?  Did the photographer, in fact, license his photo to the restaurant?  etc.

Jan 07 17 08:01 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Yes, and the generalities of my previous comments presupposes that we do not have all the necessary facts to comment on.

Studio36

Jan 07 17 08:21 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
Again, there's some critical information we are lacking:  did the photographer tell Chipotle that there was a model release?  Did the restaurant ask for one?  Did the photographer, in fact, license his photo to the restaurant?  etc.

That's what I'm thinking too.

Did the photographer hand Chipotle a signed mode release which might have had her name forged on it by him?  If so, would Chipolte then be guilty since they are the deep pockets in this one?  This could happen to stock photo agencies too if photographers hand out falsified model releases.

Then there is the matter of who altered the shot to add the liquor?  if it was the photographer, double pinch?  Or did Chipolte alter his photo which would be a copyright matter separate from the model release unless he signed it over to them to do so?

Fwiw, I got stuck on a week long jury trial where some realtor took off with the guy's $200K loan deposit and built his own house with the guy's money.  Told the guy "His loan wasn't approved and the $200K was non-refundable being an out of region bank."  Guy sues scummy realtor guy.  They dropped the charges against the scummy realtor guy who stole the money while we we in deliberations.  Turns out the realty agency fired the guy, yet they had no paperwork saying they did so and we got the impression they were out the coin, and being deeper pockets too.  Never heard the outcome as we were "Thanked for our service, and you are all dismissed" by the judge.  Amazing.

Jan 07 17 08:26 am Link

Photographer

Eagle Rock Photographer

Hunter  GWPB wrote:

Perceptive.

Jan 07 17 09:32 am Link

Model

Caitin Bre

Zack Zoll wrote:

Chipotle made their profits public. She is claiming that they made 2.2 billion $ off her photo from 2006 to 2015. Which is the total sum of estimated profits. Pending even more money for 2016.

Jan 07 17 09:36 am Link

Photographer

Eagle Rock Photographer

Here's a link to a slightly more intelligent article. But no link to the Complaint...

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/lo … e-of-photo

Jan 07 17 09:38 am Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

A couple of thoughts...

- It is not confirmed that the photographer asked her to sign a model release.  She CLAIMS that in her lawsuit (NBC news). [EDIT] It's also not confirmed that the booze was "photoshopped in".  That's the claim. [/EDIT]

- Why 2 Billion?  Lots of possibilities:

1) She was getting nowhere with her complaints / legal threats and wanted to get their attention.  Or she wanted the amount to be high enough that the "pending lawsuit" might be viewed as a possible threat to the investors  (think of someone playing poker with a weak hand that goes "all in" - I don't claim to know whether she actually has a week hand though).  Or she had a strong hand and they wanted to settle but she wanted a ridiculous figure and it was getting nowhere, so she "raised the stakes".

2) She was getting pissed off and getting nowhere.  Sort of an "Ignore me at your own peril" type thing(?).

3) For whatever reason the booze in the photo was causing her issues.  It may or may not have been present originally, but for some reason she needed to disassociate herself from it.  And in a big way?

4) The main goal might be publicity?  For whatever purpose...

5) Or...?

Who knows!

Jan 07 17 09:39 am Link

Model

Caitin Bre

Zack Zoll wrote:
My legal knowledge is just above zero ... But I think that if she sued Chipotle, she can name him as a co-defendant.

I agree that even if he took the photo while she was in the bathroom, I still don't see how she could sue him directly - it seems all civil issues are with Chipotle.

But again ... Just above zero.

Chipotle is the one with money. It is ridiculous to sue someone for more than their net worth because you will never get the money.
In my experiences the publisher is ultimately responsible for any and all releases for the intended usage. Chipotle is the one who edited the photo to include alcohol. Chipotle is also responsible for making sure they have a release not the photographer. It is kind of a grey information but chipotle is claiming the photographer should have got a release when selling them the image. But wait they edited the photo which in my mind even if the photographer got a release Chipotle would have to get another release with the changes in it.

Jan 07 17 09:45 am Link

Photographer

tcphoto

Nashville, Tennessee, US

The model should have a payday but nowhere near $2.37B. If she didn't sign a Model Release and the image was used in a Commercial manner, both the photographer and Chipotle will likely pay proportionally. I will guess that it will be settled out of court for about .0001 or so of what she is asking.

Jan 07 17 02:13 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

tcphoto wrote:
The model should have a payday but nowhere near $2.37B. If she didn't sign a Model Release and the image was used in a Commercial manner, both the photographer and Chipotle will likely pay proportionally. I will guess that it will be settled out of court for about .0001 or so of what she is asking.

She's a bit vulnerable to a fast settlement. I have looked at the list of filed documents in this case so far, though I've resisted the temptation to pay Pacer for full copies, and she has filed a request for a waver of the court fees pleading poverty to do so. This one has quick settlement written all over it.

Studio36

Jan 07 17 03:19 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

studio36uk wrote:

She's a bit vulnerable to a fast settlement. I have looked at the list of filed documents in this case so far, though I've resisted the temptation to pay Pacer for full copies, and she has filed a request for a waver of the court fees pleading poverty to do so. This one has quick settlement written all over it.

Studio36

She is looking for quick money!

Jan 07 17 03:45 pm Link

Photographer

Eagle Rock Photographer

studio36uk wrote:

Studio36

And you can expect the settlement to be confidential.

Jan 07 17 03:54 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

studio36uk wrote:
Studio36

And you can expect the settlement to be confidential.

That is a given.

Studio36

Jan 07 17 04:23 pm Link

Photographer

Vito

Brooklyn, New York, US

Caitin Bre  wrote:
But wait they edited the photo which in my mind even if the photographer got a release Chipotle would have to get another release with the changes in it.

A good release would say the model has no right to even see the finished product and her image can be manipulated etc...

Jan 07 17 05:36 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Quick follow up...

Caldwell is reportedly representing herself in the suit.
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-m … story.html

Studio36

Jan 10 17 09:24 pm Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

studio36uk wrote:
Caldwell is reportedly representing herself in the suit.

"Leah Caldwell’s lawsuit, filed on Dec. 27 in U.S. District Court, alleges that Chipotle Photoshopped her image and added bottles of alcohol in the photograph.

Caldwell said, she saw a photo of herself in a Chipotle restaurant in Florida. The photograph, according to the complaint, was hanging on a wall inside the Orlando eatery on Dec. 21, 2014.

In California, the statute of limitation in publicity-rights cases is two years, so she might not be able to pursue this case because she first noticed the image in 2014, said attorney Douglas Mirell, who represents high-profile celebrities in image-use cases.

She would also need to show that a percentage of Chipotle’s earnings were directly attributed to her image."

Jan 10 17 10:49 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

We were aso interested in HOW the image was used. In CA she might have had a claim, or she might not have had under that state's law [CA Civ Code §3344], on the basis that hanging her picture on the restaurant wall, and no more than that, is a commercial use. It would certainly not have been the strongest of claims even in CA. In CO I think it is a weaker claim yet. The time delay making her claim "out of time" in the California state courts explains now why the case was moved to the Federal courts Colorado. That's an altogether different ball game.

She is also claiming breach of privacy, which may or may not hold up. She was, after all, on private premises but that, in itself, does not establish that she had any substantive right of privacy that was breached.

Lastly, the issue of the alcohol has now been mentioned in the context of her claims in that she claims that was holding her up to "false light" [another of the privacy torts].

I am beginning to think, now, that if she gets a settlement at all the primary motivator on the part of the company would be to just make her go away. The "how much" of it is somewhat less, in my mind, then might have been the case when this thread started.

I foresee a "motion to dismiss" coming pretty quickly from the defendants. That will be the first real test of her clams.

Studio36

Jan 11 17 02:44 am Link