Photographer

Meowser Kat

Chicago, Illinois, US

I know we cannot "call out" flakes on MM, so is there a list on another site somewhere we can check up on flakes and add them?

Jan 13 17 05:39 pm Link

Photographer

San Diego, California, US

Look at their portfolio. If you like what you see, then contact the people they've worked with for private references. Draw your own conclusions.

Blacklists don't work because you don't know the details behind why or how someone's name got there. There's too much whiny drama from non-professionals who blow through here. You can expect a clash of egos for petty reasons. Lots of it would be dumbass revenge from when someone gets arrogant and huffy, or gets their feelings hurt. If you slam someone, it's pretty much guaranteed that you will be slammed back in a counterattack. Getting black-listed goes both ways.

Nobody makes themselves more important by trying to destroy someone else.

Due diligence. That part's up to you. Make your executive decisions wisely.

If you hire someone and it doesn't work out, it's your fault, not theirs. You made the decision to select them. Learn from the experience and move on.

Jan 13 17 06:14 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Meowser Kat wrote:
I know we cannot "call out" flakes on MM, so is there a list on another site somewhere we can check up on flakes and add them?

Where's that $50 you owe me?

That's an example of why those blacklists don't work -- anyone can say anything on them, and that "anything" can be anything from one side of a disagreement to an outright lie.

Get to know your local photographic community.  If you guys are familiar to each other, it's easier to share references & recommendations.  Establish the trust first.

Jan 13 17 07:32 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Not agreeing that when others let us down its our fault.   Its theirs.   I live in Chicago as does the OP.   I know of no groups of photographers who share information about models reliable or not.   In general I also find most photographers unwilling to help other photographers.   In a business rife with gossip, lies and half truths its often best to keep your mouth shut.   Blacklists are a bad idea.   I for example avoid models who have them or those who post don't work with so and so on their profile.   I get his frustration but he must never forget what sites like MM are full of.   Amateurs of all kinds.   Several years ago I attended a nude model workshop.   Six models were scheduled for this paid event but only two came.   As I understand it all the models were vetted.   

We called them but never received a response so we moved on best we could.   Lets say we posted on Facebook about what the models did.   Only to find out they were in a car accident or something else.   I accept that models may not show and may not call to say so.   I also understand that just because a model showed for another photographer or has a portfolio of credited work doesn't always mean she's reliable.

Jan 13 17 10:28 pm Link

Photographer

Randy Poe

Green Cove Springs, Florida, US

Wait wait, I know!

Lets make a sight for childish vindictive wacko's to go off the rail on each other.

It will be GLORIOUS!!

Jan 13 17 10:38 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Randy Poe wrote:
Wait wait, I know!

Lets make a sight for childish vindictive wacko's to go off the rail on each other.

It will be GLORIOUS!!

We already have that ... it's called TWITTER

Jan 14 17 08:49 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
That's an example of why those blacklists don't work -- anyone can say anything on them, and that "anything" can be anything from one side of a disagreement to an outright lie.

Except when established models come to a consensus on quite a number of photographers. That's what the "blacklist" was for and was quite effective. We models talk. There were very VERY few "one sided" views on photographers. The point of it was to talk about our experiences and decide if you wanted to work with that person after. With the overwhelming majority of them being creeps, verbal abuse, to a few even being rapists, it's fucking important to talk about these things. Don't downplay a blacklist as some catty bullshit because they have quite a lot of merit.

OP; if you feel that strongly about someone who flaked on you, think about how important it was. It probably wasn't.

Jan 18 17 09:35 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Model Sarah wrote:

Except when established models come to a consensus on quite a number of photographers. That's what the "blacklist" was for and was quite effective. We models talk. There were very VERY few "one sided" views on photographers. The point of it was to talk about our experiences and decide if you wanted to work with that person after. With the overwhelming majority of them being creeps, verbal abuse, to a few even being rapists, it's fucking important to talk about these things. Don't downplay a blacklist as some catty bullshit because they have quite a lot of merit.

I do understand.  I think "blacklists" work when the participants know & trust each other.  If a photographer I know & have met warns me away from a model, I'll listen.  But is some stranger pulls on my coat with a sad story, I'll take note, but I'll realize that I'm only hearing one side of the story and would want more information or confirmation before I consider the opinion important enough to be worthwhile.

Jan 18 17 10:00 am Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I've had people flake on me whom other models had great experiences with, and then I've worked with people who had flaky reputations who were completely great with me.

A "flake" may not universally be a flake with everyone.

And definitions of flakiness vary widely. I have read threads here where photographers have called models flakes in situations where the model gave them several days' to a week's notice of cancellation.

Often, definition of what actually constitutes flaking is just dependent upon level of butthurt.

Jan 18 17 10:27 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
I do understand.  I think "blacklists" work when the participants know & trust each other.  If a photographer I know & have met warns me away from a model, I'll listen.  But is some stranger pulls on my coat with a sad story, I'll take note, but I'll realize that I'm only hearing one side of the story and would want more information or confirmation before I consider the opinion important enough to be worthwhile.

I didn't know or trust any of the models participating in the blacklist. All it takes is common sense. At the end of the day, why the hell would an established model risk her career over creating a list of creepy and dangerous photographers? What the hell is the payoff in that?

You are alluding to heresay (probably with amateurs) and I'm talking about a much bigger issue. One of the photographers mentioned who was out of California and had a HUGE following had raped a model and forced himself on others. This stuff needs to be talked about. I've been doing this for 13 years and I've never had an issue. These other models are not me. Other people have different experiences than I do. Because of this list, I know who I wouldn't even waste my time on even talking to because of the potential at the very LEAST making me uncomfortable.

Jan 18 17 11:03 am Link

Photographer

Meowser Kat

Chicago, Illinois, US

Thanks for the reply's everyone.
I wanted to see where the conversation went without any other input from me. So I'll give my side of the story, as you will never hear the other person's. The subject in question did a no call no show to me last year.  We had planned what we were going to shoot. When. Where, Wardrobe, Times, Expected travel between locations. compensation, etc. All the way up to the day before the shoot.  The morning of the shoot, the time came and went. I waited about 90 minutes, send the a message saying I "considered this a no call no show, and sorry we couldn't" work together.  Days later I get a message from them apologizing profusely about flight being delayed, this happened, that happened, and they were still in town another day if I still wanted to shoot.  Considering they didn't even bother saying anything until days later, I said maybe next time.

Next time came, they were coming to town again. Planned out the shoot, different location since it was winter now, scheduled a MUA.  Asked when they were getting into town, they said many days before the shoot this time.  And, shoot day came and went. Only waited about 45 minutes this time, and I called my other appointments to come in early. Did not even bother sending the person a message this time, and I still haven't gotten a message or anything.

I only asked about a flake list cause of the reasons I stated above, not because I am mad at someone about something, or they owed me money or vice versa. That would mean we actually worked together.   
If you decide you are not going to show for an appointment, no mater what the reason is {change of mind, creeped out, scared, travel issues, etc..}, aside from being dead. Let the person know, so they don't think you are dead.  lol

Jan 19 17 09:10 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Patrick Walberg wrote:

We already have that ... it's called TWITTER

lol

Jan 20 17 03:41 am Link

Photographer

Studio d90

El Cajon, California, US

27255 wrote:
Look at their portfolio. If you like what you see, then contact the people they've worked with for private references. Draw your own conclusions.

Blacklists don't work because you don't know the details behind why or how someone's name got there. There's too much whiny drama from non-professionals who blow through here. You can expect a clash of egos for petty reasons. Lots of it would be dumbass revenge from when someone gets arrogant and huffy, or gets their feelings hurt. If you slam someone, it's pretty much guaranteed that you will be slammed back in a counterattack. Getting black-listed goes both ways.

Nobody makes themselves more important by trying to destroy someone else.

Due diligence. That part's up to you. Make your executive decisions wisely.

If you hire someone and it doesn't work out, it's your fault, not theirs. You made the decision to select them. Learn from the experience and move on.

Uhhh, this is not an entirely true statement. Back when hec was a pup white people encountered large numbers of non-white people. People who lived in a relative paradise full of foods and long growing seasons. This was not so in the lands the white people came from and so they coveted the lands of the non-white people. They declared themselves (the white people) to be the superior race and if any one questioned this they ended up on the knotted end of a short rope.
So you see, whole races have been destroyed by one race what declared themselves the master race and convinced other races it was true by the violence of the gun and the bank.
The violence of a list is still violence because the purpose of the list is to damage reputations.

Jan 20 17 06:34 am Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Meowser Kat wrote:
Next time came, they were coming to town again. Planned out the shoot,

This is the point in your post where I started to laugh my ass off and spit Coke Zero all over my desk. Congratulations, you win the Golden Doormat award!

Jan 20 17 08:45 pm Link