Forums > Photography Talk > focus accuracy servo mode on 1dx

Photographer

the lonely photographer

Beverly Hills, California, US

Any tips or tricks you guys using Canon servo mode want to share regarding focusing speed and accuracy? Did all the Manual AF adjustments, tweaked the shutter release time, normally shooting girls on runway going across, perpendicular to camera axis. You guys have a favorite "case"? I tried most of them, don't seem to much difference in servo response. I suppose the toughest situation would be getting a shot of the cheetah running straight at me and hitting the mark.  What's your favorite setup?

Feb 09 17 06:05 pm Link

Photographer

Mikey McMichaels

New York, New York, US

For speed and accuracy I prefer manual focus with zone focusing. If it's a big fashion show, you'll be fairly far and should have no problem getting a DoF 10 feet deep. Kind of hard to miss then.

The only advice I have specific to servo is use back button AF and try to avoid low light.

Feb 09 17 06:25 pm Link

Photographer

the lonely photographer

Beverly Hills, California, US

Mikey McMichaels wrote:
For speed and accuracy I prefer manual focus with zone focusing. If it's a big fashion show, you'll be fairly far and should have no problem getting a DoF 10 feet deep. Kind of hard to miss then.

The only advice I have specific to servo is use back button AF and try to avoid low light.

I'd have to be able to see to focus manually. The consequence getting old..

Feb 09 17 09:22 pm Link

Photographer

Mikey McMichaels

New York, New York, US

the lonely photographer wrote:

I'd have to be able to see to focus manually. The consequence getting old..

Look into zone focusing. I shoot manual focus without looking at least half the time and it's way more accurate in low light than AF.

Feb 10 17 06:38 am Link