This thread was locked on 2017-03-09 11:11:19
Forums > Newbie Forum > New & overwhelmed!!!

Model

Shea17

Nashville, Tennessee, US

What's the first thing to know about this site? It seems so overwhelming! Please help! Haha Where should I start!? Any recommendations!?

Thanks!!!

Mar 08 17 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

REMOVED

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Begin researching the best photographers in your area and reach out to them with a concise message about what type of work you are interested in.

Follow  and use the casting calls, keep up with and utilize the forums,  don't  be timid about asking questions, many are on here to help others.

Be certain to follow the advise on forums about how to vet the photographer that contact you, and how to avoid the manny scams that come along here.

Be consistently motivated, believe in yourself and build a reputation for reliability.

Visit new models.com for factual industry info and helpful tips.

Every one here was once a beginner, you have good expressiveness as strong photogenic qualities, make the most of it.

Best of luck to you.

JJ Collins

Mar 08 17 06:13 pm Link

Photographer

First Life Photography

Plymouth, England, United Kingdom

Hello & Welcome to MM. smile

Start by browsing through these, as they will help.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/575330

https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/117121

Good Luck to You! smile

Mar 08 17 09:48 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Welcome to MM.  As of yesterday, you will not be able to send messages to photographers unless you upgrade to VIP.  I understand there is a free 30 day VIP trial.   To send messages to photographers and others now, you have to send a friend request and they must accept (or vice versa) to be able to communicate for free.  I believe that you are limited to 10 FRs a day as a free member.

The change in the FR and messing rule is going to require a change in the mindset of the members already on this site.  Many people do not accept random FRs.  But sending PMs was possible before.   

When setting up a job, you need to communicate (in detail- make sure every aspect of a shoot is covered.  Please read threads on models getting ripped off by photographers on TF shoots) not only with the photographer but with other models that he has shot with so that you can check his reputation, professionalism and honesty.  References are a very important part of staying safe.  The lack of free messages, means there will be a time delay in contacting someone since they now have to respond to the FR first.  I must admit, with these changes in the system, it would be wise for you to upgrade your membership for the first year.   After you are established, you probably won't need to spend the extra money.

You can continue to communicate to other people by continuing an existing email thread.

Be safe.  Peace.

On another note:  When you want to reply to someone in the forums, hit either quote or reply.  If you hit quote, it will display the text of the the person you are quoting.  After that text ends, hit return to start a new line and type whatever you want to say below the quoted material.

I hope you participate in the forms.  Lots of good information for models there.

Mar 09 17 04:22 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Welcome to Model Mayhem!

Mar 09 17 06:47 am Link

Photographer

Flex Photography

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

Welcome! You have a couple of your photos repeated twice in your portfolio, which is not allowed. You need to remove the duplicates. Don't feel pressure to reach the allowed maximum images. Always choose quality rather than quantity.

Mar 09 17 07:13 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

she's not here anymore.  nothing to see... move along.

Mar 09 17 09:30 am Link

Photographer

DaveTongPhoto

Santa Clara, California, US

Yeah, she quit. I wonder why...

Mar 09 17 10:06 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

things aren't always what they seem to be.

Mar 09 17 11:01 am Link