This thread was locked on 2017-03-20 14:12:00
Forums > General Industry > Can New MM Members E-mail Non-friends?

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

I'm FB friends with a successful traveling model.  She posted the following.  Is this true?

MM's new updates are going to cripple their site. There are numerous photo display sites out there, we don't need another site where even free members can display more. MM's niche was the ability to connect models and photographers and other creatives.

Now first time users with a basic membership, will not be able to email non-friends and will be unable to utilize this site for the real reason it has thrived all these years - connectivity. I do hope the management can see that taking away emails between people who are not yet friends and trading for more photos in a portfolio is not the answer for gaining more paid memberships and keeping the site alive and functioning. An email should come first, then a friend connection. And the ability to reach out to models and photographers even as a new member is integral to the functionality of this model and artist community. Entice people to sign up for more photos (they will if active) and keep allowing emails between people of all membership and friendship levels.

/End "I'm not awake yet but I'm disappointed" rant.

Mar 09 17 08:36 am Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

San Jacinto, California, US

Sadly, is true.  I was going to send you a test message and it says I've reached my PM limit and I need to buy a plan.  Fucking MM.

You can however still send a message via casting call.

Edit:  Looks like if sending via casting call, they've upped the limit from 5 to 10 within 24 hours.

Mar 09 17 08:55 am Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
I'm FB friends with a successful traveling model.  She posted the following.  Is this true?

https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/965861
https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/965862

30 day vip trial (don't know about older basic members)

Existing Premium Users Upgraded to VIP: we have given all existing Premium users a free upgrade to VIP for the remainder of their subscription time. When your subscription time is set to renew, you will be taken to the NEW Premium tier unless you upgrade to the new VIP level.

basically, work like crazy the first 30 days, then pay or get locked back down; or start another new profile after 28 days yikes

Mar 09 17 09:06 am Link

Photographer

JQuest

Syracuse, New York, US

This format will simply drive more traffic to instagram and Facebook. I've stayed away from using Facebook as a landing site for contacting models, however I can see going forward I'll need a place where basic membership models will be able to contact me as well as a place for travelers that aren't VIP members. I guess I'll just add a FB link to my MM bio page.

It seems counterintuitive to limit messaging on a site that was created for messaging. I'm certain they have their reasons though.

Mar 09 17 09:39 am Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

I never add anyone as a friend until after we have exchanged messages, usually several times.  I can't see how it would be helpful to anyone joining at the basic level if they aren't able to send at least a few messages per day.  Many people don't automatically add all the friend requests that they get, and for good reason.

Mar 09 17 10:48 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

'Tis sad.  When we hear complaints along the lines of "MM ain't what it used to be", this is an example.  Another is the severe throttling of the forums. 

So, is MM still worth it?

Mar 09 17 01:47 pm Link

Model

Liv Sage

Seattle, Washington, US

Sadly, it's true.

In general, I approve every friend request that I'm sent - I guess this will be a good policy for most of the traveling models going forward. So, I'm hoping they simply send a request and then we can easily message.

Mar 09 17 02:02 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

How dare you doubt her

Mar 09 17 02:56 pm Link

Photographer

DAVISICON

San Antonio, Texas, US

MatureModelMM wrote:
I never add anyone as a friend until after we have exchanged messages, usually several times.  I can't see how it would be helpful to anyone joining at the basic level if they aren't able to send at least a few messages per day.  Many people don't automatically add all the friend requests that they get, and for good reason.

Im not understanding how this is an "improvement", many know and see that on many profiles it says "message me first" before making a friend request.........................W

also the levels more likely should have been 15 goes to 25 or 30
75 goes to 100 or 125
and last should be 200 or 250 pics, who in the world needs or wants to post 500 pics?

Also is there a change in the links and BB code or does that stay the same?

Mar 09 17 11:29 pm Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

The upside is I've seen in uptick on my FB page just in the last 24 hours from modeling soliciting for a hire job specifically because they can't figure out why they can't message people if they're not MM friends.

Mar 10 17 06:15 am Link

Photographer

Michael Fryd

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Yes.

Under new MM rules, the best way to contact a new person is via facebook.

The good news is that your MM inbox won't be bothered with messages from new people who want to work with you.

I guess this is the result when your market research is done with pop-ups that look like spam.  You get your answers from fringe users who are bored with the site, rather than your core audience who is here for a reason.

Mar 10 17 09:30 am Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

MatureModelMM wrote:

This sums up the way I also use the networking aspect of MM

Mar 10 17 09:59 am Link

Photographer

Eros Fine Art Photo

Torrance, California, US

I just discovered last night that you can only send out a limited number of friend requests per day as well.  I guess they really don't want us to use this site for networking anymore.

Don't know how much longer I'll be on this site, seeing as it's heading down the same fatal path as OMP.

Mar 10 17 10:22 am Link

Photographer

JQuest

Syracuse, New York, US

I wish the Admins would explain how this upgrade does not negatively impact the last major upgrade that was done which was Verified Credits. It was my understanding after having discussions with several models that I have worked with for years and who were approached by MM in regard to model safety that the Verified Credits was in large part brought about so models could do better and safer reference checks.

This new upgrade will make verified credits useless after 30 days for basic member models, and it also will render linked images for reference checks equally as useless for them without getting a friend approval first and most photo shoots simply don't allow that much time from first contact to response. From that model safety stand point alone this is a very poorly thought out upgrade as they will be back to depending on the individual photographers to furnish them with references and contact info. It just doesn't make any sense.

Mar 10 17 01:40 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Fryd

Miami Beach, Florida, US

I suspect that activity is going down on MM.  My belief is that the forums lack the social media functionality that is available on other sites.

On other sites, I can get immediate notifications when there is an update to a topic I am interested in.

Other sites let me easily see the topics I have participated in.

Other sites allow me to see the topics that other individuals participate in.  If I see particularly helpful post, I can go and read the other posts by that person.

I do understand where the changes are coming from.  Imagine that you are responsible for MM showing a profit, but you don't actually use the MM site.  You have little idea what users really want.  You run a survey and find that two annoying things are that Photographers don't like getting dozens of of friend requests from retouchers looking for business, and from traveling models looking for work.  You somehow get the idea that these two issues are the reason that revenue is down.

Your response would be the changes you see here.  Essentially, they are "throwing out the baby with the bath water".  While the new policies will address the above two complaints, however they also eliminate a big reason why people are here.

Another problem is that since fewer people are coming to the site, ad revenue is going down.  Their solution is to make the site less useful for free members.  Their thought is that this will get those free members to upgrade to a paid membership.  My guess is that what it really will do is encourage the free members to go elsewhere, which will make the site less useful for paid members, and they will also go elsewhere.

What we are watching is the death spiral of a site that has lost touch with the needs and desires of their members.

Oh well, it was nice while it lasted.

Mar 10 17 02:20 pm Link

Photographer

mlsy

London, England, United Kingdom

Post hidden on Mar 20, 2017 02:09 pm
Reason: other

Mar 10 17 02:34 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Less functionality for more money.
Low priority "enhancements" while the high priority ones are ignored.
Antiquated e-mail & forums.
Throttling free expression on all forums.

These are not formulas for success.

Mar 10 17 02:56 pm Link

Photographer

Loki Studio

Royal Oak, Michigan, US

It clearly states in the update that you must have a Premium membership to send messages to non models.  Strangely, It still seems that I can message non-friends. 

If this goes through, MM will become useless to me.  After 11 years and 3300+ forum posts, it will clearly be time for me to close my account. Last year I booked 64 models for paid gigs and at least another 40 for unpaid work.  I booked all that talent through personal connections, FB, and IG.  I often tried to book through MM but did not complete a shoot with any MM models.   If I look at what works for me, MM has slid into last place.

Mar 10 17 03:50 pm Link

Admin

Model Mayhem Edu

Los Angeles, California, US

All new members get a free one month VIP trial.

All basic members that joined in 2017 were offered a free one month Premium upgrade. All remaining Basic members were offered a discounted Premium upgrade.

All Premium members (at the time of the update) were upgraded to VIP for the duration of their subscription.

Legacy members can message non-friends. (Loki, you're a Legacy member.)

All the info is posted here:

Mar 10 17 04:41 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Fryd

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Model Mayhem Edu wrote:

All basic members that joined in 2017 were offered a free one month Premium upgrade. All remaining Basic members were offered a discounted Premium upgrade.

All Premium members (at the time of the update) were upgraded to VIP for the duration of their subscription.

Yes, it is clear that new members get one month to try for free, then get bumped down to a useless level of service.

I think it is clear that management hopes users will opt to upgrade to a paid membership.  If not, the site becomes useless after the trial.

It will be interesting to see what happens.  Management is essentially betting the future of the site on the hope that new members will be willing to pay, and that existing paid members will be willing to renew, once the free members go away.

I could be wrong.  Perhaps this will lead to the site becoming wildly successful as everyone upgrades to a paid membership, and advertising revenue increases due to all the new members.   We shall see.

Mar 10 17 06:19 pm Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Los Angeles, California, US

Model Mayhem Edu wrote:

You're nuking your base, your membership of non-active members will exponentially grow. Trying to force people to pay more for a site that is giving less and less is not a good business plan.

Mar 10 17 06:24 pm Link

Photographer

Barry Kidd Photography

Red Lion, Pennsylvania, US

Michael Fryd wrote:
What we are watching is the death spiral of a site that has lost touch with the needs and desires of their members.

Oh well, it was nice while it lasted.

I'm with you on all of these but there is one last option that I have considered as well.  It really the ultimate tin foil hat theory and I realize it but here goes anyway.

Worst case scenario:

IB certainly does not want the site to fail.  It'd be pointless for it to fail from any smart business stand point.  However if it's going to fail why not get every posable dime you can before it goes completely dies and goes the way of OMP.  Basically just sucking people for what they can get while they can get it.

Mar 10 17 06:33 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Fryd

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Barry Kidd Photography wrote:
IB certainly does not want the site to fail.  It'd be pointless for it to fail from any smart business stand point.  However if it's going to fail why not get every posable dime you can before it goes completely dies and goes the way of OMP.  Basically just sucking people for what they can get while they can get it.

You're better off getting $100/year for another 5 years, then $200 for one last year, and then nothing.

As you raise prices, you lose customers.  This can be good or it can be bad.  If doubling the price causes a 10% drop in customers, you still come out ahead in the short term.  If raising prices 10% causes a 50% drop in customers, then profits go down.

The trick is finding the right balance.

One of the things that makes this so interesting is that the value of the MM service goes up with more members, and down with fewer members.  Anything that reduces the number of members reduces the value.  Reducing the value, tends to push down the number of members, and we have our death spiral.

The challenge facing MM is coming up with a way to keep membership up while increasing revenue.  The obvious strategy is to provide a free level of service that is enough to get membership up, but provide benefits to paid members that encourage a significant number of members to pay for upgrades.

The issue here is that non-paid members cannot send messages to others, unless they are already friends.  A huge value of MM to many people is that they can network with, and arrange work with new people.  "new people" tend to be people you are not friends with.  The new pricing structure pretty much minimize this previous valuable MM service. 

The issue here is that if someone is already known to me, I likely have other ways of contacting them.  Texting, email, facebook, etc.  The primary reason I need to message on MM is to arrange work with new models.   New models tend to not have the money for paid memberships.   

To me, the new policies suggest a strong disconnect between how people use this site, and how management thinks we use the site.   When there is this much of a disconnect, I expect more and more issues as time goes on.

Of course, I could be wrong.  I could be in the minority.  Perhaps most photographers will welcome being able to come to MM without having to worry that there is a message from someone who wants to hire them.  Perhaps they are tired are having such a huge pool of models that they can approach to hire?  If management is correct, people will be happy to join this site once they realize they won't be bothered by others...

Mar 10 17 08:22 pm Link

Photographer

joshsflickr

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

The only reason MM still exists and the only reason MM had a user base was because it was a free model and it allowed new users to quickly set up a profile and reach out to people nearby by distance. The majority of the users use MM to book free for both party shoots. Now that MM has no free tier for messaging straight out of the box, I doubt anyone will use it beyond as a phonebook finding IGs/FBs/emails to contact directly.

In all the years I've seen MM, I've never seen the site reworked to keep up with any other site. Browsing photos has always been clunky, and the upload restrictions aren't helpful either. There is no app or clean mobile site. I've sent messages that were replied to months later because the site was never good at doing what it was supposed to do. It should be as accessible as possible. There's a reason the biggest web based social sites are on a freemium model. You need a user base to exist. Users like access and clean looking pages.

Just like others have posted MM has dropped down to the end of my list in terms of booking shoots. Insta/Facebook and then MM. I'm just happy I put in the time from the end of January to now to push my IG so this won't really really affect me too much. (I won't be able to last minute book someone over MM during a 3 day Vegas trip anymore, but there's always other ways to find people!)

Rest in peace MM. You will be missed!

Mar 13 17 11:51 pm Link

Photographer

joshsflickr

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Michael Fryd wrote:
Of course, I could be wrong.  I could be in the minority.  Perhaps most photographers will welcome being able to come to MM without having to worry that there is a message from someone who wants to hire them.  Perhaps they are tired are having such a huge pool of models that they can approach to hire?  If management is correct, people will be happy to join this site once they realize they won't be bothered by others...

I'M DYING OMG LOL. *BOWS DOWN TO THE GOD*

Mar 13 17 11:53 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

JQuest wrote:
This format will simply drive more traffic to instagram and Facebook. I've stayed away from using Facebook as a landing site for contacting models, however I can see going forward I'll need a place where basic membership models will be able to contact me as well as a place for travelers that aren't VIP members. I guess I'll just add a FB link to my MM bio page.

It seems counterintuitive to limit messaging on a site that was created for messaging. I'm certain they have their reasons though.

I've already being using Facebook almost exclusively for communication with models or potential models.

Mar 14 17 01:37 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Patrick Walberg wrote:
I've already being using Facebook almost exclusively for communication with models or potential models.

So,

1)  How do you use FB to find models in your area?

2)  How do you use FB to find models willing to pose nude in your area?

3)  How do you use FB to find traveling models?

4)  How do you view images of potential models, especially if you are interested in the nude & FB doesn't allow nudes?

Mar 14 17 08:41 am Link

Photographer

mlsy

Mar 14 17 12:22 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

msly wrote:

I suspect that site is going to be picking up traction now.

Mar 14 17 01:01 pm Link

Photographer

roger alan

Anderson, Indiana, US

joshsflickr wrote:

In all the years I've seen MM, I've never seen the site reworked to keep up with any other site. Browsing photos has always been clunky, and the upload restrictions aren't helpful either. There is no app or clean mobile site. I've sent messages that were replied to months later because the site was never good at doing what it was supposed to do. It should be as accessible as possible. There's a reason the biggest web based social sites are on a freemium model. You need a user base to exist. Users like access and clean looking pages.

Well said. In particular, I appreciate that you have mentioned the clunky image browsing. There are several flaws in the browsing programming, especially when the port being browsed has multiple pages and/or albums. These flaws make browsing large portfolios slow and tedious. Meanwhile, on sites like FetLife and others, image browsing is streamlined and intuitive. I agree that MM should be about connecting and interacting with collaborators. But the ultimate result of such collaborations, and what attracts outsiders to the site, is the images. Browsing images shouldn't be a chore.

Mar 14 17 01:54 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

So,

1)  How do you use FB to find models in your area?

2)  How do you use FB to find models willing to pose nude in your area?

3)  How do you use FB to find traveling models?

4)  How do you view images of potential models, especially if you are interested in the nude & FB doesn't allow nudes?

1) By networking.  There are many models I've shot with in the past who are not on Modelmayhem, but they have Facebook  accounts.  I get referrals from them for other models who I may also shoot with.  Also many of the models I've found on Modelmayhem are found on Facebook.  The response rate is much better and faster getting in contact with them on Facebook than it has been for me here lately.

2)  By communicating with them, especially if they are model members of the Secret Groups that other photographers and myself are in that are specifically for nude models.  I also network with many photographers on there so that I can do vetting. 

3)  There are many traveling models who have their own pages where they post their itinerary.  Most models that are traveling that I've shot with are using Facebook. 

4)  You are mistaken.  Facebook does allow nudity in Private Groups they call  "Secret" ... and I'm in a couple.  I'm also "Friends" with 665 people on Facebook who are mostly models or other photographers.   I've also reconnected with some people from my past that makes me feel great about using Facebook.

Mar 14 17 03:51 pm Link

Photographer

Derek Ridgers

Hunter  GWPB wrote:

I suspect that site is going to be picking up traction now.

The post that you refer to doesn’t appear to be here any more?

Maybe it was removed as it was promoting a competing portfolio hosting and networking website?

If so, I don’t want to repeat that offence.  It’s easy enough to deduce what is being referred to. 

The owner of that website seems far more hands on and proactive than do the owners of MM.  The software is also far more useful and advanced.

But…

It currently has very little coverage in the USA.

And I find the MM forums to be much more friendly and informative.  Even though there seems to be so few people on here nowadays.

One only has to try the available alternative to see just how awful it could be.

The demise of MM would be a real shame.

Mar 15 17 01:26 am Link

Photographer

mlsy

Derek Ridgers wrote:
But…

It currently has very little coverage in the USA.

And I find the MM forums to be much more friendly and informative.  Even though there seems to be so few people on here nowadays.

One only has to try the available alternative to see just how awful it could be.

The demise of MM would be a real shame.

The admins over there are giving free unlimited account for 1 year to all new US based members, renewable for another year if another member is referred to that site. So I predict a higher number of sign ups will happen over there from the US

Mar 15 17 04:53 am Link

Photographer

Derek Ridgers

mlsy wrote:
The admins over there are giving free unlimited account for 1 year to all new US based members, renewable for another year if another member is referred to that site. So I predict a higher number of sign ups will happen over there from the US

Do you ever go on their forums?

I tried once and it quickly became a metaphorical car crash.

Now I read them sometimes but never contribute.

I reckon the people on the MM forums are actually properly helpful sometimes.  I think that's worth trying to hang on to.

Mar 15 17 04:58 am Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Derek Ridgers wrote:
...I reckon the people on the MM forums are actually properly helpful sometimes.  I think that's worth trying to hang on to.

Agreed.  But there are 11 pages (on the change feedback pages) of people begging MM to save the core usefulness of the MM site. And while we all hope that things will change, I wish I could point to a single signal of any kind from MM that suggests there's any kind of realization / consideration over what's going on.

I still have some hope left, but frankly (I'm just talking personally) it's dropping daily.  And I'm sure that you, like many others, are suddenly getting contacted (off site) with alternatives.  It seems that they're all "spotting an opportunity".  I just hope that it's not necessary.  But in the end, we can only try as best we can.  That's all we can do.

Mar 15 17 10:51 am Link

Photographer

Michael Fryd

Miami Beach, Florida, US

LightDreams wrote:

Agreed.  But there are 11 pages (on the change feedback pages) of people begging MM to save the core usefulness of the MM site. And while we all hope that things will change, I wish I could point to a single signal of any kind from MM that suggests there's any kind of realization / consideration over what's going on.

I still have some hope left, but frankly (I'm just talking personally) it's dropping daily.  And I'm sure that you, like many others, are suddenly getting contacted (off site) with alternatives.  It seems that they're all "spotting an opportunity".  I just hope that it's not necessary.  But in the end, we can only try as best we can.  That's all we can do.

It's not a question of how many people are upset, it's a question of how many people will upgrade their membership.

From a short term perspective, it's worth losing 5,000 serious long term members, if they can get 20,000 others to upgrade.

The long term issue is whether or not the site will continue to attract people without the long term members?

Mar 15 17 11:09 am Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Michael Fryd wrote:
The long term issue is whether or not the site will continue to attract people without the long term members?

I have a little different take on it.  I think it's more about the models staying after 30 days and the ability of them to contact, or be contacted by, photographers that they might be interested in working with.

If you take away the bulk of the models, you end up with a few hundred photographers exchanging tips.  A valid but, I'd suggest, much smaller niche market...

Mar 15 17 11:37 am Link

Photographer

Vivid Color Photographe

Miami, Florida, US

Patrick Walberg wrote:

1) By networking.  There are many models I've shot with in the past who are not on Modelmayhem, but they have Facebook  accounts.  I get referrals from them for other models who I may also shoot with.  Also many of the models I've found on Modelmayhem are found on Facebook.  The response rate is much better and faster getting in contact with them on Facebook than it has been for me here lately.

2)  By communicating with them, especially if they are model members of the Secret Groups that other photographers and myself are in that are specifically for nude models.  I also network with many photographers on there so that I can do vetting. 

3)  There are many traveling models who have their own pages where they post their itinerary.  Most models that are traveling that I've shot with are using Facebook. 

4)  You are mistaken.  Facebook does allow nudity in Private Groups they call  "Secret" ... and I'm in a couple.  I'm also "Friends" with 665 people on Facebook who are mostly models or other photographers.   I've also reconnected with some people from my past that makes me feel great about using Facebook.

Thank you for the help. I'm still not sure about the whole Instagram/Facebook modeling thing, but I am trying to learn more.

How do you find/join these secret groups?

Mar 15 17 11:45 am Link

Photographer

Sichenze Photography

Powhatan, Virginia, US

Find one of the traveling models who shoot the style and as you friend them and other photographers and models and you will get an invite pretty soon.

Mar 15 17 01:45 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

The problem is that I don't trust social media.  I minimize my usage of FB, I don't belong to IG.  I'm more of a lurker than anything else.  FB doesn't have my phone numbers.

FWIW:  There is a "secret group" around here, but few people use it, so I wonder whether it's still there.

You have to be invited to join a secret group, I think.

Mar 15 17 02:08 pm Link